• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think there will be a Switch Pro before the next Nintendo console?

• Yes, we will get the equivalent of a New 3DS.

Votes: 292 28.8%
  • No, the OLED was the final Nintendo Switch revision before Switch 2.

Votes: 519 51.2%
  • Why does everybody care what I think on this subject? We're all in the dark

Votes: 202 19.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they can grow enough to become a two teams studio now that they have Nintendo's full backing.

I am expecting their next game to be Strikers, targetting a Holiday 2022 release alongside the World Cup.
For real. I really hope they turn into a two team company. They just have too much talent. Yeah if I had to pick one game they're most likely developing I'd say it's Mario Strikers.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
There's actually a TON of sequence breaking in the original Metroid Prime, it's a blast. You can get the ice and plasma beam early, skip the boost ball, early space jump, etc., it's super fun to play around with
There was, but they've patched it out for every subsequent revision/rerelease.
what do you mean by sequence breaking
Acquiring particular power-ups ahead of their intended sequence.

The origina US Metroid Prime for GameCube, for instance, let you acquire the Space Jump boots even before you could get the Morph Ball through the use of an exploit in the lock-on functionality. But neewer versions, such as the Japanese and PAL releases basically nerfed certain aspects of the jump so that players could no longer aqcuire that item early.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
There was, but they've patched it out for every subsequent revision/rerelease.

Acquiring particular power-ups ahead of their intended sequence.

The origina US Metroid Prime for GameCube, for instance, let you acquire the Space Jump boots even before you could get the Morph Ball through the use of an exploit in the lock-on functionality. But neewer versions, such as the Japanese and PAL releases basically nerfed certain aspects of the jump so that players could no longer aqcuire that item early.
Oh did they? That sucks, I've only ever played the original gamecube version so every time I do a replay I always do at least a little sequence breaking. It really adds a lot to the game to play around with it like that and see how much you can do without most of the intended powerups. Plus it's not like the exploits/moves used are easy to pull off or would be discovered by your average player, I know I had to look up how to do all of them.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Oh did they? That sucks, I've only ever played the original gamecube version so every time I do a replay I always do at least a little sequence breaking. It really adds a lot to the game to play around with it like that and see how much you can do without most of the intended powerups. Plus it's not like the exploits/moves used are easy to pull off or would be discovered by your average player, I know I had to look up how to do all of them.
The problem is Retro had been proactively stopping players from sequence breaking ever since Prime 2 onwards. I just hope their philosophy with the game design has changed enough in that they allow cleaver players to acquire power-ups early and even skip boss fights without having to fight the player's decisions on that matter.

Here's hoping the new staff at Retro has played a lot of Zero Mission!

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Played Skyward Sword only on motion controls. Won't even bother with the button setup. If I need to play it portably I will go for Table Top mode. I really missed motion controlled games a lot.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
The problem is Retro had been proactively stopping players from sequence breaking ever since Prime 2 onwards. I just hope their philosophy with the game design has changed enough in that they allow cleaver players to acquire power-ups early and even skip boss fights without having to fight the player's decisions on that matter.

Here's hoping the new staff at Retro has played a lot of Zero Mission!
For sure. There's nothing quite like getting the plasma beam before Thardus and going back and obliterating him with it later just for fun.

An underrated soundtrack. One of the best in the Zelda series.

I love the OST for Skyward Sword, particularly all the tracks in the desert area. Great stuff.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Speaking of the Metroid Prime Trilogy; what are people's favorite entry here?

Metroid Prime 2 > Metroid Prime > Metroid Prime 3
I have Prime 1 slightly above Prime 2, but they're both fantastic games. Prime 3 I have third as well, for while I still love it I don't like some of the elements it added in (too many NPCs, balance issues with the hyper beam, etc.)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Well you have to understand its more than just a name, it has to be debuted as the next generation Switch. A Switch Pro announcement would focus on game like BOTW2 and Splatoon 3 running with the tech upgrades, and whatever is coming out close to it. A Switch 2 would more than likely be where we see Mario Kart 9 be revealed as well as other "next gen" projects. It would also mean we would be seeing another Smash Bros. game on it, as opposed to something like a Pro model.

Another aspect is the scale of the marketing around it. MS went big for their mid gen console (treating it like it was a new console launch), but Sony quietly launched the PS4 Pro in late 2016 and didn't even have an ad focused on it till early 2018. I would expect similar treatment from Nintendo with a Pro model and really just focus on the cheaper Switch models in ad campaigns, but a Switch 2 would be heavily pushed leading to launch. And this makes a world of difference to developers and publishers, because how many big developers are going to really make Switch Pro version if the platform is just there in the background and not really pushed since its only a premium model?

The problem with your thinking is that you're treating this theoretical Switch pro like a PS4 Pro or XB1X when this is Nintendo we're talking about, and the most analogous situation is the new 3DS which was revealed with and launched with an exclusive game (XC3D).

A *new* Switch situation should be expected to be similar, it is revealed with improvements to existing games and with new games not playable on the older model.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I saw someone in my Facebook that Walmart sent them an email telling them that they lowered the OLED price by $50 for competitive reasons. Check your email if you preordered with them

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
without google my high school spanish is telling me that "haya sentido la presion" basically means having feeling of the pressure

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The problem with your thinking is that you're treating this theoretical Switch pro like a PS4 Pro or XB1X when this is Nintendo we're talking about, and the most analogous situation is the new 3DS which was revealed with and launched with an exclusive game (XC3D).

A *new* Switch situation should be expected to be similar, it is revealed with improvements to existing games and with new games not playable on the older model.
I don't know. There are some key differences between this theoretical Switch and the New 3DS, and some ways that it's more like a PS4 Pro or XB1X.

Like, do any of us expect this thing (whatever they call it) to just replace the existing Switch at the same price? I think we're pretty much all on board with the idea that it's going to be a more expensive model, right? That's more like a PS4 Pro or XOX scenario. The MSRP on the New 3DS/XL was exactly the same as the previous 3DSes and it quickly replaced the old models.

I genuinely would not be surprised if there is no Nintendo-published software that ends up being exclusive to the theoretical 2022 higher-end more-expensive Switch. There really was not that many "games not playable on the older model" with the New 3DS, all of them were ports, and they didn't seem to sell so great.

I think they'll go a step farther than Sony or Microsoft did and let third-party devs target the new hardware specifically and drop support for the original Switch/Lite. But I don't think they'll really do that with any of their own games. It's not like they'd be porting stuff from more powerful hardware.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Metroid Prime Trilogy: The Project Has Changed Edition.

- Enhanced visuals.
- Reworked controls.
- Updated game launcher.
- Each individual game now boots into its original title screen. 🎉
- Fusion suit visual update, as seen in the opening of Metroid Dread (MP1).
- Power suit visual update (MP1).
- Unlockable "Dread suit" (MP1).
- Included a fully playable Metroid: Zero Mission game. 😭

Also... praise Walmart!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metroid Prime Trilogy: The Project Has Changed Edition.

- Enhanced visuals.
- Reworked controls.
- Updated game launcher.
- Each individual game now boots into its original title screen. 🎉
- Fusion suit visual update, as seen in the opening of Metroid Dread (MP1).
- Power suit visual update (MP1).
- Unlockable "Dread suit" (MP1).
- Included a fully playable Metroid: Zero Mission game. 😭

Also... praise Walmart!
throw in Hunters multiplayer, and you got yourself a winner

John Rairdin stays winning. This guy puts out great content.

I never remember hating the Imprisoned as much as I see people do on the internet. quite frankly the hate was always weird to me

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I can't see why Nintendo would go through COVID related delays and not drop in an already complete release if they had it.

It would outweigh the benefit of releasing it close to the new game IMO.

I think they wanted Metroid's triumphant return to be an entirely new game, so they might have been sitting on MPT waiting for Dread to come and give it room to breath.

Nintendo has fucked up Metroid's timing several times before, if this is really the case, I think they made the right decision not making the franchise's debut on the Switch be a collection of remasters.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I think they wanted Metroid's triumphant return to be an entirely new game, so they might have been sitting on MPT waiting for Dread to come and give it room to breath.

Nintendo has fucked up Metroid's timing several times before, if this is really the case, I think they made the right decision not making the franchise's debut on the Switch be a collection of remasters.
That's my feeling as well.

It's also possible that Metroid Dread itself is also being released later than originally intended. We don't really know what their original "ideal" development cycle for that looked like. Maybe the plan was originally to have Metroid Dread for fall/holiday 2020.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
throw in Hunters multiplayer, and you got yourself a winner

I never remember hating the Imprisoned as much as I see people do on the internet. quite frankly the hate was always weird to me
I never remember hating Skyward Sword so much as the internet told me to. It just reeks of "hot-take-ism". It's a great game when it first released and it remained that way the whole time.

People on the internet treat SS like it's Sonic 06 for some reason when it's a solid game that's now even better.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. There are some key differences between this theoretical Switch and the New 3DS, and some ways that it's more like a PS4 Pro or XB1X.

Like, do any of us expect this thing (whatever they call it) to just replace the existing Switch at the same price? I think we're pretty much all on board with the idea that it's going to be a more expensive model, right? That's more like a PS4 Pro or XOX scenario. The MSRP on the New 3DS/XL was exactly the same as the previous 3DSes and it quickly replaced the old models.

I genuinely would not be surprised if there is no Nintendo-published software that ends up being exclusive to the theoretical 2022 higher-end more-expensive Switch. There really was not that many "games not playable on the older model" with the New 3DS, all of them were ports, and they didn't seem to sell so great.

I think they'll go a step farther than Sony or Microsoft did and let third-party devs target the new hardware specifically and drop support for the original Switch/Lite. But I don't think they'll really do that with any of their own games. It's not like they'd be porting stuff from more powerful hardware.

I don't think it'll be exactly like the new 3DS either, I agree that it definitely will not replace the base models when it launches, probably not until at least like 2 years later.

It'll probably be more like the new 3DS than the PS4 Pro or XB1X though. There will be some of those key differences like price as you mentioned, and a lot more exclusive games (not necessarily first party) but that has more to do with the position the base Switch is in right now compared to what the 3DS was in.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
SS has the best soundtrack and the best dungeons and boss fights of any 3D Zelda game. The bad parts of the game are overblown.

Spheromancer

Sep 24, 2020
Personally I'm 100% on the side that the Switch Pro doesnt exist. It may have at some point, and the chip shortage may have caused Nintendo to make the OLED version instead, which could be the Pro just without the new chips, but it doesn't exist anymore. I think at the end of 2022 we'll get a reveal of the Switch's successor, which will be an upgraded version of what the Switch Pro was going to be and itll be released in Q1 2023

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
My sole problem with SS are the motion controls. If i find the button controls serviceable, it might become one of my top favorite Zeldas.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The motion controls were also fantastic, as long as your WMP was properly calibrated. Joy-cons having more accurate gyros should help things a lot, and if you don't like them you don't need to use them. Firing any weapon in SS was a joy, and the sword fights were the best action the series had since Zelda 2, though now that's been surpassed by BotW.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It'll probably be more like the new 3DS than the PS4 Pro or XB1X though. There will be some of those key differences like price as you mentioned, and a lot more exclusive games (not necessarily first party) but that has more to do with the position the base Switch is in right now compared to what the 3DS was in.
Yeah, you have a good point that in a sense simply having any exclusive software makes it more like the New 3DS then the PS4 Pro or XOX, regardless of how it's priced or positioned. It'll really be something sort of unlike anything we've seen before, which is exciting.

I think at the end of 2022 we'll get a reveal of the Switch's successor, which will be an upgraded version of what the Switch Pro was going to be and itll be released in Q1 2023

There really would not have been time to upgrade it in the midst of a pandemic and chip shortage, though. If we get a Switch successor in Q1 2023, it'll be the same thing that would have been planned for 2021 or 2022 or whatever. Nothing is really getting cheaper between now and then.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The motion controls were also fantastic, as long as your WMP was properly calibrated. Joy-cons having more accurate gyros should help things a lot, and if you don't like them you don't need to use them. Firing any weapon in SS was a joy, and the sword fights were the best action the series had since Zelda 2, though now that's been surpassed by BotW.
In the original version you could recalibrate your controller by pointing it at the sensor bar and the new version you can do so by just pressing Y.

OP
OP
b3llydrum

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
The Switch pro does not exist. Neither does the Switch 2.

A DLSS enhanced model does though. At this stage there's no reason to think it's either a "pro" or a "2".
This is the perfect example of why it's pointless to argue about this. Everybody has an idea of what the future holds and everybody is equally right/wrong. We don't have enough facts. The poll is for reflecting peoples opinions, not for arguing about why people are wrong...

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
While it definitely seems like it'll be a lot different, there are plenty of things in it that seem like they're calling back to Nocturne/referencing it, at least: The whole starting off with high schoolers before the apocalypse/world changes, the general desert-y look of the world, Lucifer being back to his nocturne form, etc. I can see why people initially thought that, even if the more we learn the more it seems to be quite different.

Honestly, the high school thing is a superficial comparison when you look at it closely considering in Nocture you are dropped into it immediately without any characterization of the characters. Like we do not really know what their daily lives are, to begin with. In SMT V it seems like we will get a better idea of these characters since we saw them interacting with each other. Heck in one of the scans we see the MC in school which is already different than Nocturne.

I can see why people would compare it to Nocturne especially if it were their first game in the series and they haven't seen what SMT 1 and 2 are like. However, SMT V is no different than the series staples like SMT 1/2 with Nocturne really being like the outlier. Nocturne truly is the dark horse of the series due to how incredibly different it is from the other games. A good example would be how Persona 1 and 2 are completely different from Persona 3,4, and 5. It really is a night and day difference.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Idk but I find gyro better than Wii pointer. First no sensor bar is needed and also my hands can be more relaxed. I don't need to point straight to the tv. I can point to the sides or whatever position I want. The motion controls is great in SSHD

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Wouldn't a DLSS enhanced model be a "pro" or "2" since the current Switch obviously wouldn't be able to run DLSS?
Nintendo Switch (DLSS Model)

I think Skittzo's point is that there really isn't any evidence to support any specific name at this point.

Regardless of whether or not we get a Switch Pro, I still don't think a "Switch 2' is coming until at least 2024.

I agree. It's just a feeling. It'd be weird for them to talk about how much they wanted to extend the Switch's life cycle and then just drop a Switch 2 in Q1 2023 or whatever. Plus, I think whatever schedule they had for it is likely pushed back because of covid, and I don't think they would have planned for it to be sooner than that.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
So can someone look this up. I'm playing Xcom 2 a lot on my Switch in undocked mode, but the game isn't as blurry as it was over a half a year ago.

Can the Switch firmware updates Nintendo drops make the games run a tad better through OS optimization (and GPU driver optimizations)?

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo Switch (DLSS Model)

I think Skittzo's point is that there really isn't any evidence to support any specific name at this point.
I think Skittzo point goes even beyond that. It will a be a stronger model of the Switch family. Pro and 2 talk is just semantics.

The generational talk is outdated in today's world.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe it was a multitude of factors, I already don't like motion controls and my TV at the time was too close to the couch and the sensor bar wasn't working very well.

But I still think SS is too bulky of a game to focus so much on motion controls. It's already a very demanding game by its own, making everything dependant on precise moves just made everything feel like a chore, i was literally exhausted while playing. Sometimes I just wanted to lay a damn bomb and didn't want to raise my arms to do it.

I think a simpler game with simpler dungeons like wind waker would be a much better fit for SS's controls, but it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.