• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think there will be a Switch Pro before the next Nintendo console?

• Yes, we will get the equivalent of a New 3DS.

Votes: 292 28.8%
  • No, the OLED was the final Nintendo Switch revision before Switch 2.

Votes: 519 51.2%
  • Why does everybody care what I think on this subject? We're all in the dark

Votes: 202 19.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Stop it everyone. We all know no one in this thread plays game. We demand a new F-Zero so the unopened box can sit on our shelves. We complain about NSO offerings knowing full well have intention of ever clicking on that SNES app. Breath of the Wild 2 will be the most beautiful icon on our Switchs with an estimated play time less than 1 hour. How will Metroid Dread end? Well you paid $60 and just read the plot summary on Wikipedia.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I Gotta say dropping money on that 3070 GPU made my wallet cry lmao.

On one hand, it was worth it, but on the other hand my wallet lol. I'm probably skipping out on Monster Hunter Stories 2 unfortunately.

Edit: Still gonna save up for Wario Ware tho

Last edited:

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
The game's fps drop heavily below 30fps on WiiU in some instances, like for example when bombs are dropped.
These are very clearly tied to alpha effects which implies a memory bandwidth constraint. The Switch has double the bandwidth of the Wii U when docked; this might mean the same effects would bring it down again, possibly as low as 40 fps, but I think it's also reasonable to believe it would only drop in similar scenes as the Wii U release - if they couldn't fix it outright with a bit of work.

Handheld play would also likely be locked at 720p 60 fps if the only bottleneck is memory bandwidth.

FWIW, these dips are so contained I think it'd be worth it personally. As DF says in their article, the first half of their video showcases the worst-case scenarios; the vast majority of the game is a solid 30. As long as you're not spamming bombs (one explosion won't drop it unless it fills the screen IIRC) or it's not raining (that one's more unfortunate as it's not controlled by the player), the framerate doesn't budge.

TP HD is the same way. That alpha-heavy purple fog can dip the framerate, but not much - if anything - else. There's presumably GPU grunt to spare, even when it's below 30.

I think if they considered those drops acceptable then, they'd consider them acceptable now - especially after letting players experience SS HD at 60 fps.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
So overall how would you rate Skyward Sword HD next to the other 2 Zelda HD remasters? I'm still seeing a lot of angry people on social media saying it's a bad and lazy remaster next to WWHD and TPHD and Nintendo is lazy now and wathever, when I personally think it looks like the same thing as the other 2, just replace the new lighting of WWHD and re textured of some parts of TPHD with 60fps. None of them were really worth the asking price.
I've been so busy enjoying the game I forgot this discussion entirely. SS HD, as a remaster, outclasses TP HD imo. I'm speaking purely on improvements, not the underlying game (I also prefer SS in that case), but there's not really anything TP HD did that SS HD didn't do and then some with the exception of the Cave of Shadows - which was frankly not as fun as I was hoping it'd be.

I'd put it on par with TWW HD's efforts, maybe a bit higher. It's hard to describe how good the game feels to play now; I actually turned on TWW HD for a bit to compare and was shocked to find the framerate bothered me now. I'd never had a problem switching to it from a 60 fps game before SS HD.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
This thread is DEAD, dang. We need to get out of July already.

So we can all be playing Great Ace Attorney

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was on my last tear and I got caught…now I have to recollect all the tears? Would've been nice not to start all over

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Happy weekend everyone - I'm planning on returning to Skyward Sword HD. Managed 5 hours last weekend and had just cleared the second dungeon - excited to continue because I know the desert is next.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Happy week-end !

Going to play some Skyward Sword (at the 3rd dungeon currently) and the crack known as Pokémon Unite.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone really wanted to hear Nintendo sounds during the Olympics the 3x3 basketball playlist sometimes uses the Mario super mushroom sound effect in between songs

Jun 2, 2019
We all know no one in this thread plays game. We demand a new F-Zero so the unopened box can sit on our shelves.

To be fair, F-Zero GX as well as the F-Zero GBA games sat on the shelves - and then on the discount bins - for a very, very long time. F-Zero GX was clearly a game discovered a posteriori, with only a few fans singing their praises for it before it was made playable in Dolphin.

I really can't blame Nintendo for their reticence, given that the IP was a gen wide flop

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I've broken out my 3DS the past couple of days. I've tried to maintain its battery so it doesn't get battery swell since the Switch came out, but I legit haven't actually played a single game on it since Samus Returns came out.

It still feels like it wasn't that long ago since it was relevant, but man, when I think it's 2021 and over 4 years since Switch launch, things kinda get put into perspective a little bit. Seeing the copyright dates on some of the games I've booted up is also kind of eye opening.

Seeing my unacknowledged Street Pass badges on some titles, and on the Mii Plaza on my dash. I remember taking my Street Pass into my job at GameStop every day at work years ago and some members of my regular clientele coming in sometimes solely to Street Pass, but that also feels like a lifetime ago.

And I never bought any Mario & Luigi games that released on the 3DS, not even the remakes of the older games. Those are the games I want to play the most right now but still full 39.99 on the eShop (for Superstar Saga+ and Bowser's Inside Story Remastered), ouch.

I'm sad to go into my Virtual Console folder and not see Metroid: Zero Mission among my Ambassador titles. I feel like I remember it being a part of the bundle but only Fusion is there... I do want to play Fusion too but I kinda had my heart set on Zero Mission. It's not on the eShop either. The eShop on 3DS could've been so much more...

Glad I still own mine, especially with the recent news about the value going up in the used market. Wonder how many folks out there still just have it on them for Street Pass, if that's even a thing on anyone's mind anymore.

Sep 8, 2020
So overall how would you rate Skyward Sword HD next to the other 2 Zelda HD remasters? I'm still seeing a lot of angry people on social media saying it's a bad and lazy remaster next to WWHD and TPHD and Nintendo is lazy now and wathever, when I personally think it looks like the same thing as the other 2, just replace the new lighting of WWHD and re textured of some parts of TPHD with 60fps. None of them were really worth the asking price.
I'd say Skyward Sword HD is an outstanding remaster and is better than the other two. It fixes everything annoying about the first game and the motion controls work great. The game itself is allowed to shine through and I think a lot of people are overlooking how great of a game it actually is. Even when you revisit areas, there's so much that opens up and changes that you're always engaged and having a great time. I know people keep saying that motion controls aren't for everyone but I think that, barring a disability, they are. They work so well. I wouldn't recommend the game be played any other way. They take like an hour to get used to and they're the most immersive way to play this game. Maybe that was a hot take I'm not sure. And then the visual upgrades? Wow. The game looks gorgeous. HD really is what this game needed all along. There's a shot when you're ending the first Lanayru dungeon that just look stunning with the light filtering in. The Sand Sea is another standout moment artistically and graphically.

I thought a while about value and whether it's worth $60. For the amount of game Ive gotten, coupled with how much I've forgotten about the game 10 years later, as well as the QoL updates, as well as the improved textures… it feels so close to a new game. I think I've gotten my money's worth and then some.

On a final note, the motion controls got me thinking that I hope Nintendo adds in Wii-style motion controls back into Twilight Princess HD using the joy-con. While I loved the Wii U port, I do miss the feeling of swinging to swing in that game. Plus, aiming with motion is the best way to aim.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just learned Yasunori Mitsuda did the music for Mario Party 1. Wtf lol. The same guy that did Chrono Trigger, Xeno series and other famous games did Mario Party 1. 😮

Mario Party 1 has some really good music too and I've believed the soundtracks don't get talked about enough (they don't get talked about at all). Kind of blowing my mind to know he did the music. Mario's Rainbow Castle is so good.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Can't wait to see how much punch a new Switch will pack. While it might end up below the Steam Deck on paper, DLSS should definitely help in closing the gap.

indospot

Jan 13, 2021
Can't wait to see how much punch a new Switch will pack. While it might end up below the Steam Deck on paper, DLSS should definitely help in closing the gap.
To be fair, the Steam Deck probably supports AMD Super Resolution too. It's not as good but close enough. Not that I care either way, I'm more likely to buy a new switch model even though I'm getting the OLED than I am to buy a Steam deck.

Sep 8, 2020
I think a new Switch will move more than the Deck not based on the hardware bells and whistles, although those will certainly help. It'll mostly move due to the games. I feel like the Steam Deck, while it has the power, will still fall short of catching steam (bad pun, sorry) just due to a lack of exclusive games. Sure, the Switch might have a super cool gimmick (the switching) but if it didn't have Nintendo games, I don't think it would have even sold a percentage of what it did. You'll point to the Wii U but I think that system would have done much better if it launched with something like Mario Odyssey and maybe a better name. It should speak to the quality and breadth of Nintendo's output that they're worth buying an entire system for. But it should also say something that the last solid Valve game was… Portal 2? What am I missing out on if I don't buy a Deck? I didn't play Half-life Alyx but I wouldn't call that a system-seller. And even if it was, it doesn't seem like the Deck could run it. If Valve really wants to move Decks, they've gotta put in the software work. It's the oldest lesson in gaming that games move hardware and I'm surprised that it seems they didn't consider this in making the system. I hope I'm wrong; It seems like a nifty little device.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
I think a new Switch will move more than the Deck not based on the hardware bells and whistles, although those will certainly help. It'll mostly move due to the games. I feel like the Steam Deck, while it has the power, will still fall short of catching steam (bad pun, sorry) just due to a lack of exclusive games. Sure, the Switch might have a super cool gimmick (the switching) but if it didn't have Nintendo games, I don't think it would have even sold a percentage of what it did. You'll point to the Wii U but I think that system would have done much better if it launched with something like Mario Odyssey and maybe a better name. It should speak to the quality and breadth of Nintendo's output that they're worth buying an entire system for. But it should also say something that the last solid Valve game was… Portal 2? What am I missing out on if I don't buy a Deck? I didn't play Half-life Alyx but I wouldn't call that a system-seller. And even if it was, it doesn't seem like the Deck could run it. If Valve really wants to move Decks, they've gotta put in the software work. It's the oldest lesson in gaming that games move hardware and I'm surprised that it seems they didn't consider this in making the system. I hope I'm wrong; It seems like a nifty little device.
PC easily has more exclusive games across its ecosystem than all 3 of the current gen consolew combined, so I don't really think that will be a huge issue. Though I do agree that most of those exclusives don't have the mainstream appeal that Nintendo or Sony's offerings do.

Jul 7, 2021
I'm wondering when we're going to see an announcement of Klonoa. For those who don't know, a Klonoa game is supposed to come to Switch, being part of the Encore line of games. Mr. Driller: DrillLand is part of it, and there have been other titles that got cancelled, including Splatterhouse and Genpei Tōma Den/The Genji and the Heike Clans.

Should be called Klonoa of the Wind (Encore?)

Sep 8, 2020
PC easily has more exclusive games across its ecosystem than all 3 of the current gen consolew combined, so I don't really think that will be a huge issue. Though I do agree that most of those exclusives don't have the mainstream appeal that Nintendo or Sony's offerings do.
The games may be exclusive to PC but they're not exclusive to the Deck. If I have a big gaming rig, why do I need the Deck? Only a fraction of those people will find a solid reason and therein lies a problem. The tens of millions of people who wanna play Nintendo games can only buy a Switch to enjoy them. The tens of millions of people that wanna play PC exclusive games don't only have to play them on the Deck. You lose a lot of customers that way, in my opinion.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
To be fair, the Steam Deck probably supports AMD Super Resolution too. It's not as good but close enough. Not that I care either way, I'm more likely to buy a new switch model even though I'm getting the OLED than I am to buy a Steam deck.
As someone whose gaming time is spent up to 95% on handhelds, I'll simply want to have both devices in their best iteration (if possible). Got a pre-order in for the Oled, pre-ordered a Deck by now, and I'll buy a Pro as well if/when it arrives.
I was only talking about hardware power, just to be clear. ;)
(Edit: ah, I see I partially misunderstood your post! Ignore this first sentence! :p)

The Deck will come nowhere close to console numbers imo due to a multitude of reasons. The Switch has got nothing to fear from this iteration of Valve's handheld. We'll have to see how things play out in the future, though.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
one of the issues I've seen with FSR is that it breaks down at lower resolutions.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A Switch Pro will be better than the Steam Deck because of Nintendo's games for me and it won't be an ugly bulky system

Jul 7, 2021
Dat double down. Maybe we might see the Switch Pro/2/Super/Ultra 64 in 2022

Thanks for sharing! I've never questioned the legitimacy regarding a more powerful revision ever since information began to snowball last year. It was since then that I began to pay serious attention, because all we've heard up until then were merely wishes from fans. "But, but people have been talking about a Switch Pro since 2017"...lol

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think DLSS switch is an upgraded dock, it can be used with or without the switch, when you do put a switch in it your switch just becomes storage for your games and save files and the games run off the dock

then when you take the switch out the games go back to running off the switch

people that want a tv only switch are covered

people that still want to use switch as hybrid are covered

people that bought oled won't have any regrets because this doesn't replace it

its either this or next gen switch imo

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Switch Pro will be better than the Steam Deck because of Nintendo's games for me and it won't be an ugly bulky system
why buy a switch when you can run emulators and play switch games!?

I'm not advocating piracy, just pointing out actual arguments I've seen in certain popular, pc-centric sites

Please be Switch 2..
the hardware we've been speculating in the hardware thread hasn't changed. the naming is arbitrary and will be dependent on how Nintendo wants to position the device, marketing-wise

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dat double down. Maybe we might see the Switch Pro/2/Super/Ultra 64 in 2022

My guess is release in Spring 2023, exactly 6 years after the first Switch launch.

I think DLSS switch is an upgraded dock, it can be used with or without the switch, when you do put a switch in it your switch just becomes storage for your games and save files and the games run off the dock

You're imagining a $300 dock at this point, and no way it would be as seamless as the current switch, and is essentially it's own home console with no reason at all to need the current switch. I think the next switch is the switch 2. March 2023 would be a year and a half after the switch oled, longer than dsi xl to 3ds.

Last edited:

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020

its either this or next gen switch imo
It has been said that the DLSS is something on the chip, not the dock.

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
It fixes everything annoying about the first game and the motion controls work great.

I know people keep saying that motion controls aren't for everyone but I think that, barring a disability, they are. They work so well.
The motion controls are awful. To say the motion controls are for everyone who doesn't have a disability is kinda ridiculous.

I am enjoying the game now that I am playing with the Pro Controller - I have become a little more used to the stick controls, and they are more reliable with the larger stick on the Pro Controller than the shitty Joy Con ones - but the controls are still easily the worst part of the game.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It has been said that the DLSS is something on the chip, not the dock.
I'm saying the dock would have have all of this in it and you could play games on the dock without the switch or with the switch when using it as storage

a tv only switch that can also be used as a hybrid if you already have a switch

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
I'm a little surprised people are expecting dramatic improvements to WW and TP HD. If they are a double pack - and that is an if, but the hints so far suggest it's true - then I think we can expect fairly minimal improvements a la Super Mario 3D All Stars. Increasing from 30fps to 60fps isn't just a matter of pressing a button.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
My plans for today are to watch the season premiere of Ted Lasso, play Death's Door, at least beat Dungeon 5 in Skyward Sword HD (haven't started yet, but I've heard excellent things about this one), and see Shyamalan's new movie, which will either be an interesting experiment or hilariously bad. Life is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.