• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What announcement would be the most exciting to you in a September Direct?

• NSO Expansion

Votes: 257 19.0%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 338 25.0%
  • GTA Collection

Votes: 74 5.5%
  • Kirby

Votes: 62 4.6%
  • Final Smash Character

Votes: 95 7.0%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Votes: 441 32.6%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 85 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 26, 2019
Has anybody used either of the Fitness Boxing games?

Full disclosure: I seem to have a chronic illness which makes exercise or any sustained physical activity difficult, because it triggers bouts of illness and fatigue and muscle and joint pain which can last hours or days. I'm looking to begin exercising (outside of daily dog walks) more consistently again, and already have and like Ring Fit, which I was going to boot back up tomorrow. But I thought it might be useful to swap out and use the more cardio orientated Fitness Boxing a couple of times a week, too, so that I could do 20 to 30 minutes a day 5 times a week and see how I manage that.
I played Fitness Boxing 1 and I ended up preferring RFA only, also for cardiovascular exercises. Brofield and I discussed this at length two weeks ago ITT if you want to check out more in-depth thoughts.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
I didn't even bothered asking for a review code of Sonic Colors lol

about the Direct: with TGS being later than usual this year, I place my bet on a second-half-of-September Direct
I hadn't thought about this. Yeah, in that case we could easily be looking at a Direct later in the month.
Speaking about when the Direct could happen, a brief (maybe) analysis that touches on two points

1) the day of the week

Funnily enough, there's some consistency here when looking at major presentations and I have to thank MondoMega for noticing it; I don't understand the reason behind it, but there's a pattern that can be traced back by looking at the Directs of the Switch era

Fire Emblem Direct January 18th, 2017 - Wednesday
Ninendo Direct April 12th, 2017 - Wednesday
Arms / Splatoon 2 Direct May 17th, 2017 - Wednesday
Pokémon Direct June 6th, 2017 - Tuesday
Nintendo Spotlight: E3 2017 - Tuesday
Splatoon 2 Direct July 6th, 2017 - Thursday
Nintendo Direct September 13th, 2017 - Wednesday
Animal Crossing Pocket Camp Mobile Direct October 24th, 2017 - Tuesday
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Direct November 7th, 2017 - Tuesday

Nintendo Direct Mini January 11th, 2018 - Thursday
Nintendo Direct March 8th, 2018 - Thursday

Nintendo Direct E3 2018 - Tuesday
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct August 8th, 2018 - Wednesday
Dragalia Lost Mobile Direct August 29th, 2018 - Wednesday
Nintendo Direct September 6th / 13th, 2018 - Thursday
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct November 1st, 2018 - Thursday

Nintendo Direct February 13th, 2019 - Wednesday

Pokémon Direct February 27th, 2019 - Wednesday
Super Mario Maker 2 Direct May 15th, 2019 - Wednesday
Pokémon Direct June 5th, 2019 - Wednesday
Nintendo Direct E3 2019 - Tuesday
Nintendo Direct September 4th, 2019 - Wednesday

Pokémon Direct January 9th, 2020 - Thursday
Animal Crossing: New Horizons Direct February 20th, 2020 - Thursday
Nintendo Direct Mini March 26th, 2020 - Thursday
Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase July 20th, 2020 - Monday
Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase August 26th, 2020 - Wednesday
Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary Direct September 3rd, 2020 - Thursday
Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase September 17th, 2020 + Monster Hunter Direct September 17th, 2020 - Thursday
Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase October 28th, 2020 - Thursday
Super Nintendo World Direct December 18th, 2020 - Friday

Nintendo Direct February 17th, 2021 - Wednesday
Nintendo Direct: E3 2021 - Tuesday

Note: presentations that don't fall under the Direct brand (like the Indie Showcases / Indie World) and / or aren't aired across Europe / Americas / Asia at the same time aren't included. Pokémon Presents aren't included since The Pokémon Company handles them with more autonomy compared to the Pokémon Directs.

As you can see, outside of E3 where Nintendo constantly takes the Tuesday slot (and of course it's an event with other major parties involved), other general Directs tend to fall on the same day of the week: on Thursdays in even years, on Wednesdays in odd years. If we go by Nintendo's original planning before the pandemic really disrupted plans, the Direct Mini from March 2020 was aired on a Thursday and then we got several Partner Showcases in different days of the week (the first one aired on a freaking Monday!), but it's probably notable to see that the only Partner Showcase that was livestreamed instead of dropped out-of-nowhere happened, once again, on a Thursday. Also, starting from 2019 it looks like themed Directs were also aired in the same days as the general presentations, with the sole exception of the Super Nintendo World Direct.

2021 is an odd year, and February's Direct was indeed aired on a Wednesday. Thus, if Nintendo keeps on following their...weird patterns (seriously, why) the September Direct should be aired on a Wednesday as well.

2) when in September exactly

The February 2021 Direct was aired on February 17th, 2021. That's the date of the February 2019 Direct + 4. If Nintendo follows the same criteria, the September Direct should fall on September 8th, 2021. The first "full" September week, like the September 2019 Direct and the September 2018 one according to the original plans, before the delay caused by the earthquake. However, back in 2017, the Direct was aired in the second "full" week of September.

Also, let's look at when the Tokyo Games Show started the past few years

TGS 2017 - September 21st, 2017; 8 days after the Direct aired
TGS 2018 - September 20th, 2018; 14 days after the Direct was originally intended to be broadcasted
TGS 2019 - September 14th, 2019; 10 days after the Direct was aired

TGS 2020 started on September 23rd so one week after the Nintendo Direct Mini Partner Showcase September 2020 presentation...but 2020 was also a weird year with plans that changed a lot compared to the original intentions.

TGS 2021 will start on September 30th. Given the relatively late start of the event and considering how much Japanese third parties could try to tie their own reveals with the pre-TGS Direct, it's possible Nintendo and third parties are going with a slightly different schedule compared to 2018 (original) and 2019, that is the Direct is aired the second, if not the third "full" week of September.

3) how much the PlayStation Showcase matters for the Direct's stream date

Last year, Sony had their PS Showcase on September 16th. Several hours before the event, Nintendo announced the Nintendo Direct Mini Partner Showcase September 2020 for September 17th, 2020 and it was livestreamed not even 24 hours after the Sony event ended. They may not care that much but who knows.

...And yeah, in the end, Nintendo may say "fuck the patterns" and have the Direct on a Thursday, maybe even this week just right after the Sony event. Or they could just shadow-drop a Mini. Or it could be a Partner Showcase. Or... I mean, the latter two cases have very, very low chances of happening truth be told. But Nintendo can be both predictable and unpredictable at the same time.
Awesome analysis. I'm still hoping for the 8th like most other people, but certainly wouldn't be surprised by something later anymore.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Speaking about when the Direct could happen, a brief (maybe) analysis that touches on two points

1) the day of the week

Funnily enough, there's some consistency here when looking at major presentations and I have to thank MondoMega for noticing it; I don't understand the reason behind it, but there's a pattern that can be traced back by looking at the Directs of the Switch era

Fire Emblem Direct January 18th, 2017 - Wednesday
Ninendo Direct April 12th, 2017 - Wednesday
Arms / Splatoon 2 Direct May 17th, 2017 - Wednesday
Pokémon Direct June 6th, 2017 - Tuesday
Nintendo Spotlight: E3 2017 - Tuesday
Splatoon 2 Direct July 6th, 2017 - Thursday
Nintendo Direct September 13th, 2017 - Wednesday
Animal Crossing Pocket Camp Mobile Direct October 24th, 2017 - Tuesday
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Direct November 7th, 2017 - Tuesday

Nintendo Direct Mini January 11th, 2018 - Thursday
Nintendo Direct March 8th, 2018 - Thursday

Nintendo Direct E3 2018 - Tuesday
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct August 8th, 2018 - Wednesday
Dragalia Lost Mobile Direct August 29th, 2018 - Wednesday
Nintendo Direct September 6th / 13th, 2018 - Thursday
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct November 1st, 2018 - Thursday

Nintendo Direct February 13th, 2019 - Wednesday

Pokémon Direct February 27th, 2019 - Wednesday
Super Mario Maker 2 Direct May 15th, 2019 - Wednesday
Pokémon Direct June 5th, 2019 - Wednesday
Nintendo Direct E3 2019 - Tuesday
Nintendo Direct September 4th, 2019 - Wednesday

Pokémon Direct January 9th, 2020 - Thursday
Animal Crossing: New Horizons Direct February 20th, 2020 - Thursday
Nintendo Direct Mini March 26th, 2020 - Thursday
Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase July 20th, 2020 - Monday
Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase August 26th, 2020 - Wednesday
Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary Direct September 3rd, 2020 - Thursday
Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase September 17th, 2020 + Monster Hunter Direct September 17th, 2020 - Thursday
Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase October 28th, 2020 - Thursday
Super Nintendo World Direct December 18th, 2020 - Friday

Nintendo Direct February 17th, 2021 - Wednesday
Nintendo Direct: E3 2021 - Tuesday

Note: presentations that don't fall under the Direct brand (like the Indie Showcases / Indie World) and / or aren't aired across Europe / Americas / Asia at the same time aren't included. Pokémon Presents aren't included since The Pokémon Company handles them with more autonomy compared to the Pokémon Directs.

As you can see, outside of E3 where Nintendo constantly takes the Tuesday slot (and of course it's an event with other major parties involved), other general Directs tend to fall on the same day of the week: on Thursdays in even years, on Wednesdays in odd years. If we go by Nintendo's original planning before the pandemic really disrupted plans, the Direct Mini from March 2020 was aired on a Thursday and then we got several Partner Showcases in different days of the week (the first one aired on a freaking Monday!), but it's probably notable to see that the only Partner Showcase that was livestreamed instead of dropped out-of-nowhere happened, once again, on a Thursday. Also, starting from 2019 it looks like themed Directs were also aired in the same days as the general presentations, with the sole exception of the Super Nintendo World Direct.

2021 is an odd year, and February's Direct was indeed aired on a Wednesday. Thus, if Nintendo keeps on following their...weird patterns (seriously, why) the September Direct should be aired on a Wednesday as well.

2) when in September exactly

The February 2021 Direct was aired on February 17th, 2021. That's the date of the February 2019 Direct + 4. If Nintendo follows the same criteria, the September Direct should fall on September 8th, 2021. The first "full" September week, like the September 2019 Direct and the September 2018 one according to the original plans, before the delay caused by the earthquake. However, back in 2017, the Direct was aired in the second "full" week of September.

Also, let's look at when the Tokyo Games Show started the past few years

TGS 2017 - September 21st, 2017; 8 days after the Direct aired
TGS 2018 - September 20th, 2018; 14 days after the Direct was originally intended to be broadcasted
TGS 2019 - September 14th, 2019; 10 days after the Direct was aired

TGS 2020 started on September 23rd so one week after the Nintendo Direct Mini Partner Showcase September 2020 presentation...but 2020 was also a weird year with plans that changed a lot compared to the original intentions.

TGS 2021 will start on September 30th. Given the relatively late start of the event and considering how much Japanese third parties could try to tie their own reveals with the pre-TGS Direct, it's possible Nintendo and third parties are going with a slightly different schedule compared to 2018 (original) and 2019, that is the Direct is aired the second, if not the third "full" week of September.

3) how much the PlayStation Showcase matters for the Direct's stream date

Last year, Sony had their PS Showcase on September 16th. Several hours before the event, Nintendo announced the Nintendo Direct Mini Partner Showcase September 2020 for September 17th, 2020 and it was livestreamed not even 24 hours after the Sony event ended. They may not care that much but who knows.

...And yeah, in the end, Nintendo may say "fuck the patterns" and have the Direct on a Thursday, maybe even this week just right after the Sony event. Or they could just shadow-drop a Mini. Or it could be a Partner Showcase. Or... I mean, the latter two cases have very, very low chances of happening truth be told. But Nintendo can be both predictable and unpredictable at the same time.
thanks for this!! in my opinion it's this wednesday. why? give warioware one last push, Directs are watched by millions of people, this is good for one last promo of the game.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Don't forget the indie showcase this year was earlier than most people expected. I don't think it matters that TGS is later then usual

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo is so dumb. They have to leave so they can come back like Capcom. smh leaving their dusty backs on the table.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Next week feels good to me. On twitter they're doing a countdown to the release of WarioWare. Sony has a big show, bigger than a simple Direct and ever since its announcement it hasn't felt right for the same week.

I realise these are shitty evidences, but it just feels right for next week, with Sony and WarioWare out of the way.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Next week feels good to me. On twitter they're doing a countdown to the release of WarioWare. Sony has a big show, bigger than a simple Direct and ever since its announcement it hasn't felt right for the same week.

I realise these are shitty evidences, but it just feels right for next week, with Sony and WarioWare out of the way.
I feel its the opposite, Nintendo usually like to shout out a game that is about to release soon in their directs as a reminder(like Mario Golf at E3) so a direct before Warioware would make sense

jankuza

Jan 13, 2021
Do we have a pattern of how they announce the General Directs?

If I remember correctly most of the time it was like one or two days before the Direct. For today the "Clock" is already reseted but maybe tomorrow...

Edengamer25

Aug 29, 2020
Ive been off Era for a while lol, are we expecting a direct announcement tommorow probably? Or are they just going to shadowdrop? September has come fast!

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Nintendo almost always had their september direct in the first week, that's on Sony if they put it there. ND get more traction anyway.
I do feel like there isn't enough smoke for this week tho so i feel like it will be next. They did do the Indie direct early this year so i was assuming they would keep that first week of Sept for the main one.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have experience with Nintendo repairs? Decided to call them up on my drifting pro controller. Out of warranty, launch model bought in 2017, had over 2200 hours playtime but 40 bucks to fix is still half price of a new controller.
Was told I would receive an email with details on how to ship it back and pay them
I called on Saturday, still no email. I assume its the long weekend and they need to match my ticket with a repair shop in canada, but does it usually take this long?

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Nintendo almost always had their september direct in the first week, that's on Sony if they put it there. ND get more traction anyway.
I do feel like there isn't enough smoke for this week tho so i feel like it will be next. They did do the Indie direct early this year so i was assuming they would keep that first week of Sept for the main one.

Nate expects a direct in the next 2 weeks and the NSO update is supposedly soon. I think there is enough smoke right now

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Nate expects a direct in the next 2 weeks and the NSO update is supposedly soon. I think there is enough smoke right now

I meant by that usually when there is an announcement the same week we have more people saying there will be a direct soon. Rn no one really knows it seems, which is why i'm expecting next week.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I meant by that usually when there is an announcement the same week we have more people saying there will be a direct soon. Rn no one really knows it seems, which is why i'm expecting next week.
We haven't really had any hints from any insiders one way or the other outside of the ramping up of NSO and XB3 hints. But no one has had any informed speculation or hints towards a direct date. I think I'm 50/50 on this week or next week

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
A counter example would be the mini Direct dropped a week after Animal Crossing released.
Right, but AC had way more promotion and an entire Direct dedicated to it. WarioWare def needs one more push before launch, I'd be surprised if they just left it out to die after the demo. At the same time, there isn't TOO much smoke for this week specifically. I'm truly 50/50 on this vs. next week
Got my first job post-university, yay
Starting wednesday.
Congrats!!

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
About a year ago and a half ago I loaned a friend my copy of Xenoblade 2, and then he lost it, apprently. Of course when I went to replace it, I realized the cost had skyrocketed and was over $80 for a used copy. Well today I'm a happy boy because I noticed that prices had come back down to earth, and Gamestop had the game used for $54 online :-) My copy will be here tomorrow, and I'll finally be able to replay it in anticipation of XBC3

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Right, but AC had way more promotion and an entire Direct dedicated to it. WarioWare def needs one more push before launch, I'd be surprised if they just left it out to die after the demo. At the same time, there isn't TOO much smoke for this week specifically. I'm truly 50/50 on this vs. next week
It got a big reveal at E3, a demo, an overview trailer. Now it'll get reviews soon and a lot of twitter push. I think that's enough.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Sounds like we're not confident in this week, by reading above?

Fingers crossed we get something soon - and hopefully we get a glimpse of XC3. It would make my year if we did.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Nate said at Spawncast that he will be revealing what other platforms will come to NSO early this week. So are we expecting that today or tomorrow?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Remember folks

2RFuu0X.png

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
We haven't really had any hints from any insiders one way or the other outside of the ramping up of NSO and XB3 hints. But no one has had any informed speculation or hints towards a direct date. I think I'm 50/50 on this week or next week

NateDrake seems to know the Direct's date (or, as he said, he has a "general idea" about it; moreover, back on Tuesday last week he said it was happening "soon-ish"), but won't share the exact timing the Direct will drop. He did also say that it wouldn't be possible for him to record a Direct / PlayStation Showcase predictions podcast if the Direct is announced on Wednesday and aired on Thursday but who knows whether he was hinting at stuff or not.
Similarly, it's also true that he said that he *believed* the PS Showcase would've happened after the Direct. At this point, I'm unsure whether that was a hint covered as an assumption to avoid seeing his posts being reported by pseudo-journalists everywhere or if he was sincerly assuming.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
Nate said at Spawncast that he will be revealing what other platforms will come to NSO early this week. So are we expecting that today or tomorrow?
I'm guessing tomorrow.

Do you have a link to the moment in question in the Spawncast? I'm curious if Nate definitively hinted that other systems are coming, like what your post implies, or if it was a "maybe other systems are coming". Sounds exciting!

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Sounds like we're not confident in this week, by reading above?

Fingers crossed we get something soon - and hopefully we get a glimpse of XC3. It would make my year if we did.
Eh, some people always feel less confident as we get close to a potential announcement

This week is still the most likely, imo

Status
Not open for further replies.