• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
h2x1_labo_generic_engsisol.jpg

ResetEra OT by Camjo-Z

MC Variety Kit - 76
MC Robot Kit - 68
OC Nintendo Labo - 79

Reviews:
  • Eurogamer - Essential
    With Nintendo Labo, Nintendo has once again redefined what it means to play and what it means to be a video game. No one else could pull this off, no one else would even dare try. It is a brilliant, wholesome and memorable way to spend your time, and while it might borrow from Lego and origami, and probably a million other places, it is unique. "Nintendo Labo is amazing!" my son would frequently declare when a major part of a toy slotted together, or a new function of a toy was found. And really I cannot see any way to disagree.
  • Wired - 9 / 10
    Wired:

Incredibly fun and engaging building process. Each cardboard Toy-Con offers a unique building and playing experience. Creative programming tools allow a lot of customization.

Tired:

Some games are too open ended. There are times when Nintendo holds your hand too much, or not enough. If you choose the wrong kit, you may end up disappointed.
  • The Verge - No Score
    Labo is an experience where creating and building are just as much fun as playing. It eases you into this world: at the beginning, you're simply folding cardboard. But just a few hours later, you're trying to figure out how to turn a box into an interactive drum kit.
  • CNET - 8.3 / 10
    The Good: Incredible cardboard designs. Really well-done step-by-step instructions. Labo's software and games are fun to play and explore. There's a lot to do, and a sense that many secrets await unlocking.
    The Bad: Yes, it's mostly just cardboard. The kits can be daunting for younger kids. There's a risk of things breaking, so handle with care. And, where do you store all those large cardboard things later on?
    The Bottom: Line Nintendo Labo is a fun and unique Switch add-on -- a Lego-meets-Ikea cardboard construction set that will unlock kids' real-world creativity.
  • IGN(Variety Kit) - 6.9 / 10
    The magic of Labo is in building of each of the complex cardboard toys. For an average adult, the building process can be tedious and mind-numbing, though never too challenging. But the building and playing experience with a child can take on an entirely fresh dimension. Sadly, once you've built each kit and played with it for a short while, there really isn't much else to do with them. But if you have imaginative children in your life, witnessing their reaction to this DIY toy workshop is a treat in itself.
  • IGN(Robot Kit) - 7.3 / 10
    For kids, the Nintendo Labo Robot Kit is like taking the fantasy of being a giant robot on a rampage and putting your imagination right up on screen. Their awe at seeing this cardboard creation come together to form such an imaginative toy makes it a fun family activity. On the other hand, as an adult, the included game doesn't have enough going on to make it worth more than a quick playthrough.
  • Kotaku- No Score
    One of the great fallacies of children's entertainment is that kids need things to be simple. Kids love diving deeply into complicated things, accumulating knowledge that is out of reach of the adults around them. Nintendo has always understood this, but Labo is a unique expression of this understanding, something that extends beyond the virtual world. More of a madcap engineering kit than a game, it feeds and rewards creativity and curiosity. As an adult, you're along for the ride, but if you've got imaginative children in your life, seeing how they respond to this marvelous toy factory will be a great joy.
  • Polygon - No Score
    The $69.99 price feels low when you look at how much there is to do with the Variety Kit, and the number of toys you can put together and customize even before you dig deeper in the discover section.

Nintendo isn't competing with anyone else with Labo, and it's the sort of thing that is only possible due to the design of the Switch hardware itself. Delight is a challenging emotion to inspire in games, consumer electronics and toys — and Labo is some unholy combination of the three. And yet, Labo is full of delight. It's cardboard, sure, but it's stuffed with the best sort of intangible stuff.
  • Nintendo World Report (Robot Kit) - 7/10
    Pros:
    -Challenge mode offers a more substantial gameplay experience
    -Surprisingly sturdy
    -Very satisfying to build

Cons:
    -A lot of money for one project
    -Game is much shorter than build
  • Gamespot - 7 / 10
    The Good:
    -Building each Toy-Con is a relaxing and rewarding process, with each one building on the last (in the Variety Kit)
    -Learning how everything works is presented as part of the fun, and that enriches the experience
    -Toy-Con Garage gives you more to do and create after you're done

The Bad:
    Games themselves generally don't have much lasting appeal
  • Nintendo Life (Variety Kit) - 8 / 10
    It's in 'Discover' mode that Labo's real genius - and ultimately, its true longevity - really lies. Hidden among the cartoonish mini-game ideas and customisation prompts you'll find a manhole cover. Give it a tap and you'll find the Toy-Con Garage. It's easily Labo's most important feature, and one that might not be immediately apparent to first-time users (or, in fact, those yet to be convinced its more than a childish fad). It's effectively a simplified programming suite, which enables you to take the Toy-Cons you've already built and make them do entirely new things. And that's not even touching on the brand new creations you can create with any old cardboard around the house, some sticky tape and a few well-placed nodes.
  • Nintendo Life (Robot Kit) - 6 / 10
    It's easy to see why Nintendo decided to release two Labo kits at launch; they both offer very different experiences. This particular kit gives you a strong focus at the expense of – you guessed it - variety, and that's both a positive and a negative. The game's two main modes boast much more depth than those seen in the Variety Kit, but sooner or later you'll tire of the relatively simplistic gameplay; then you have the very real problem of where you're going to store a massive cardboard backpack which cannot be disassembled easily. We dare say that just like the Wii Balance Board and the myriad plastic Wii Remote accessories from a few years back, plenty of Labo Robot kits will find themselves either dumped in the garage or disposed of entirely. 'Storage' seems like an odd thing to knock a Switch game for, but with Labo this is a genuine concern; once you stop playing the main game you can always experiment with the Toy-Con Garage mode, but what incentive is there to keep the backpack assembled?

• Metro Gaming UK - No Score
    The potential seems limitless and while Labo may not be a video game – and in that sense will provide little relief to Switch owners looking for something new to play – it could well be the next big thing. For big kids as well as little ones.
  • Time - No Score
    Nintendo's Labo Kits for the Switch Will Make You Feel Like a Kid Again

Nintendo has a history of being adventurous when it comes to experimenting with new types of gameplay... But Labo doesn't feel like any of these outlandish ideas. Perhaps it's because in an era in which technologies like motion controls and virtual reality have already become the norm (or are getting closer to it, at least), we're more open to gaming in unorthodox ways. Or maybe it's the opposite, and Labo is a refreshing return to imagination in a world in which children are increasingly glued to their iPads. Labo could be a hit, or a flash in the pan. But it's clear that Nintendo isn't content with the Switch being just an ordinary video game console, and it's going to continue trying to give you new reasons to buy one.
  • USA Today - No Score
    My 11-year old reviews Nintendo Labo: 'I think it's going to be the hot new craze'

[…]Meanwhile, as a parent, I think Nintendo has struck the right tone for kids. The onscreen instructions supply encouragement--(e.g.: "Push it through the opening as far as it will go. (It might be difficult, but you can do it.")) Sam and I appreciated that you can easily manipulate the touchscreen to view animated instructions from different angles, and easily rewind or skip ahead as necessary.
  • Destructoid Review-in-Progress- No Score (Yet)
    It's the expanded functionality and creativity like that that really has me looking forward to the rest of what Labo has to offer. Fishing sounds fun, but now I'm wondering what other cool things I'll be able to do with the rod. The house looked like the most uninteresting Toy-Con when I started, but it's got all these extra things that I'm dying to find out what they do. There's a lot more to explore with Labo, and I wish I could take it a bit slower.

Building these toys back-to-back in a rush just doesn't seem like what it was made for. It's made for creativity, thinking on your own, and a million other things that you would have never have thought a video game console could do.
  • WCCF Tech (Variety Kit) - 8 / 10
    Traditional "hardcore" gamers won't get the most out of Labo unless they're willing to massively step outside of what is their gaming comfort zone, while creatives, musicians and children will find so, so much to do and enjoy. But regardless of your playstyle or preference, I can heartily recommend trying Nintendo Labo when you get the chance to put your hands on it. Playing it is fun, everything works, but the satisfaction of building your own peripherals is entirely unique.
  • Alphr - 5 / 5
    The greatest creation from Nintendo since the Switch

[…]Nintendo Labo is a new platform for learning and creation – and it could well be the most exciting thing to come along from the games industry since Minecraft.

[…]It's through the introduction of Nintendo Labo that the Japanese company's history as a toymaker shines through. Long gone are the days of Nintendo's original Japanese toys, replaced by consoles and video games but that sense of playfulness the company has instilled in people for hundreds of years hasn't been diluted.
  • Tom's Guide (Variety Kit) - 9 / 10
    The good
    -Fun, intuitive building experience
    -Incredibly inventive Toy-Con designs
    -Endless customization possibilities

The bad
    -Some games feel a little thin
  • Trusted Reviews - No Score (Yet)
    Nintendo Labo – Robot Kit

I saved the biggest piece of kit for last. With the Robot having a pack all to itself, naturally it's a huge build. You get a giant backpack, straps that fit around your feet, and paddles to hold.

Punching, stomping and walking my way through a Star Fox-esque metropolis and destroying everything in my path for the high score, I couldn't help being massively underwhelmed by the game itself. It's an incredibly simple smash-'em-up where you simply have to destroy every building to earn a multiplier and bigger score. Lifting your arms in the air will make your bot fly, crouching turns it into a tank, and lifting your legs up and down makes it walk, while punching, naturally, punches.

It felt like a mini-game from the ill-fated Star Fox Zero, and once the level was over, I had no desire to play it again. I hope the full game offers more for buyers than what there is here. You do get Garage mode again in this kit, though.
  • 9to5toys- No Score
    Both young and old fans alike will get a lot out of their time with Labo, be it from just assembling the creations and enjoying the arcade-style games to diving into crafting your own uses and more in Toy-Con Garage. If you're looking for a fun and familiar way to learn programming concepts, Labo is simply a must.
    Lately it seems that all of Nintendo's new initiatives have been incredibly well-received and influential, a trend that continues with Labo. I can't stress how big the cardboard kits will be for introducing kids to programming concepts and critical thinking.
  • TechCrunch - No Score
    Once you get into the rhythm, however, it's strangely meditative. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold. Tap, fold.
    Congratulations, you've completely 1/6 steps.
  • Stuff - No Score
    Right now, as a strictly entertainment proposition, it's undeniably impressive of design and a great deal of fun in short bursts. The wonder of seeing these sheets come together to form such wonderful toys isn't getting old, and represents another string for the bow of that Old Nintendo Magic (by tapping into some properly old Nintendo magic).
    But I'm not yet certain what'll break first: all of this cardboard, or my kids' enthusiasm to pick any of it up. There's no doubt, too, that the asking price feels like a lot for what can appear to be a stack of cardboard.
    Of course, you're paying for much more: the games, the hugely intelligent and inventive designs, the joy of making.
  • Digital Spy - No Score
    The Robot Kit is the biggest build, coming in at between three and four hours, whereas nothing in the Variety Kit will take more than a couple. It's also one where more grown-up hands are likely to get the job done without a tantrum or two – not that such outbursts aren't possible with the Variety Kit's projects.

The kit's backpack is a beast, and its array of pulleys and weights – all scanned for gameplay by the one Joy-Con (the other placed in a visor, to switch between first- and third-person perspectives) – are wonderful to watch in motion.

The Robot Kit's main modes see you command – surprise! – a gigantic robot across a series of destructive challenges, moving it around the screen by stomping on the spot, outstretching your arms to fly, and squatting down low to transform into an armoured car. But there's more to it, including a calorie-counting fitness mode, which is a neat touch for the adults picking this up, ostensibly, for their wee ones.
  • The Independent - No Score
    Newest Switch accessory shows that the company might have cracked the future of fun

[…]It is clearly built with children in mind, though not solely for them. The instructions are clear, and make sure at all times that you're following along without patronising you. The examples that are shown on screen can be rotated and zoomed into, so that if you're ever lost you can find your place easily enough.
  • PC & Tech Authority - 10/10
    My hope is that Nintendo continues to push Labo with new Toy-Cons on a regular basis. Ideally, by the end of the year, we'll have another two packs on store shelves – another way for kids and adults to interact with complex programming tools in a clear and straightforward way. Even if that doesn't turn out to be the case and we're left waiting another year for more Toy-Cons, Nintendo Labo is still the freshest idea to come out of video games in a long time and proof, yet again, that nobody does it better than Nintendo.
  • Financial Post - No Score
    There is one more part to Labo, though, that could endure beyond the building and playing phases, and that's an entirely separate module dubbed Toy-Con Garage, found in the Discovery menu.

[…] Still, I suspect this part of the experience will prove a bit much for most people. Neither my daughter nor I were able to think of much to do with it beyond being impressed by the tutorial. But I'd not be surprised if, 10 or 15 years from now, I found myself reading an interview with a prominent game designer who said her career was sparked at a young age by time spent fooling around with Nintendo Labo's design tools.
  • Pocket Lint - No Score (Yet)
    From what we've seen so far, if you like the idea of not only making the game as well as the accessories that go with it, then this is certainly for you. If you prefer something more structured though, at this stage we're a little worried that you might tire of this before you've even built the controller to get you started.
    What's clear is that we need more time with Labo to find out more.
    For:
    -Imaginative and creative
    -Plenty of games to build and play
    -Discovery Garage encourages you to build your own experience
    Against:
    -Not much structure suggests you may tire quickly
    -If you damage the cardboard you'll have to get creative fixing it
  • Yahoo Finance - No Score
    Nintendo's Labo marries the simplicity cardboard with high-tech sensors to create something truly wonderful. Constructing each Toy-Con project is as relaxing as building a Lego set, while the Labo software makes each kit unique and entertaining onto itself. The addition of the ability to craft your own Toy-Con Garage programs only adds to Labo's staying power.
    If you know a Switch fan looking for more to do with the console, then Nintendo Labo is a wonderful choice, especially if they're already interested in building
  • Tech Advisor - No Score (Yet)
    We'll reserve a final verdict on the two Labo kits until we've had the chance to test them fully, but for the moment our doubts have been eased. There looks to be a huge amount of depth here - far more than the first trailers suggested - and anyone willing to experiment should find that Labo quickly rewards it.
  • Review Geek - No Score
    Nintendo is starting a trend of delivering on the lofty promises in its ads. The commercial for Nintendo Labo implies that you will have hours of fun playing with cardboard and at first glance it's hard to believe that's true. After spending a weekend with it, I can safely say it's legit. Building the Toy-Cons is just as fulfilling as building Lego sets, except when you're done building, you still have a world of fun games and workshops to play in for hours.

Hands-On Impressions / Unboxings / Streams:
Will update the thread with more reviews over the next couple of days, please share them in the thread and I'll add them to the OP.

Last edited:

DomsPlaying

Oct 25, 2017
NJ & NYC
Very upbeat on Labo's sales potential, so it's good to see positive early impressions. I feel like it's going to take time for the general consensus to congeal, especially as parents experiment with the tech alongside their families.

Also, does Yahoo Sports CA usually do game reviews? Random!

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Please note that most video game outlets have only just received Labo kits and that reviews will primarily be from mainstream news sources.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Those few reviews sound quite positive and, at least in my opinion, they confirm what I expected this to be: a product aimed at building and customising, with added minigames to play as a reward. Sounds great!

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece

The Good Incredible cardboard designs. Really well-done step-by-step instructions. Labo's software and games are fun to play and explore. There's a lot to do, and a sense that many secrets await unlocking.
The Bad Yes, it's mostly just cardboard. The kits can be daunting for younger kids. There's a risk of things breaking, so handle with care. And, where do you store all those large cardboard things later on?
The Bottom Line Nintendo Labo is a fun and unique Switch add-on -- a Lego-meets-Ikea cardboard construction set that will unlock kids' real-world creativity.

Probably the reason I won't be getting this!

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The garage mode looks incredible. Very much as much depth as you want to get out of it. Verge's homemade guitar is wild.

Probably not for me but I'm confident we'll see some pretty crazy contraptions from kids and adults alike.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
Posting this here from the other thread. Will give some an idea just how intricate this can become.

Edit: bruh, I keep getting beaten with this video lol.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the reason I won't be getting this!
You just need to buy and build the labo Home expansion kit with labo storage lockers. Only $35,000 plus tax where applicable!

We're fortunate enough to have a basement and a dedicated craft area for the kids so space isn't a worry. I am more concerned with how fast they'll get bored with it. Thinking we can get $60 of fun out as a family though. Glad that GCU worked on these at BB

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Time - no score:
Time said:
Nintendo's Labo Kits for the Switch Will Make You Feel Like a Kid Again

Nintendo has a history of being adventurous when it comes to experimenting with new types of gameplay... But Labo doesn't feel like any of these outlandish ideas. Perhaps it's because in an era in which technologies like motion controls and virtual reality have already become the norm (or are getting closer to it, at least), we're more open to gaming in unorthodox ways. Or maybe it's the opposite, and Labo is a refreshing return to imagination in a world in which children are increasingly glued to their iPads. Labo could be a hit, or a flash in the pan. But it's clear that Nintendo isn't content with the Switch being just an ordinary video game console, and it's going to continue trying to give you new reasons to buy one.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Building Piano Kit and Motorbike Kit myself, I found it quite enjoyable and don't really regret my purchase.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I somehow wasn't expecting reviews/ a review thread for this. Good to see it seems positive so far?

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Please note that most video game outlets have only just received Labo kits and that reviews will primarily be from mainstream news sources.
Explains why the early reviews are from tech sites and other, more mainstream outlets not typically known for game reviews. It will be interesting to see if there's a consensus between gaming and non-gaming outlets about Labo. Such a cool concept.

thanks, that's a big one!

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I think it's a good idea for kids and will probably do well but this isn't for me because I know after a few hours I will never use it again and it will be another thing in the house gathering dust lol

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Building Piano Kit and Motorbike Kit myself, I found it quite enjoyable and don't really regret my purchase.
How's the software itself? For example like the motorbike game, does it come with challenges or any modes at all? I'm very interested in Labo but toy-con garage might require too much creativity for me.

If only Nintendo is treating Labo like Amiibo where they have one or two extra gimmick feature for their games like MK8 getting the bike/wheel support etc...

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing makes my son and daughter scream "Daddy buy it! Daddy buy it!" more than a Labo commercial popping up on the TV. This is going to be one busy weekend of folding!

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
I'm telling o people of little faith that this is the shits ready to explode over social media when people get real creative with that garage.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing makes my son and daughter scream "Daddy buy it! Daddy buy it!" more than a Labo commercial popping up on the TV. This is going to be one busy weekend of folding!
How has the TV advertising been on Labo? I haven't had cable for a long time, so I'm not sure how it's being advertised.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Man the editor looks impressiv. Too bad that my eldest is out of the target audience and not interested and the younger ones are ... well too young.

Kid is going to create Skynet on a Nintendo Switch.

Well, in that case it's good that Nintendo's online will be paid later this year, preventing spontaneous self-upload and overtaking of everything connected to the internet!

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Will these be easy to tear town for storing and then easily reassembling? Or will we be looking at the 3+ hours to rebuild?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is a brilliant idea for kids and I hope that it gets copied and you see kids for iPads and other tablets and phones as well.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
How's the software itself? For example like the motorbike game, does it come with challenges or any modes at all? I'm very interested in Labo but toy-con garage might require too much creativity for me.

If only Nintendo is treating Labo like Amiibo where they have one or two extra gimmick feature for their games like MK8 getting the bike/wheel support etc...
There are three courses from what I could tell, beginner/intermediate/hard, but I haven't really looked into them that deeply alongside coursemaker they showed off earlier.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I am interested to see how the sales will be on Labo. It is a neat concept and certainly is not my cup of tea but I am not nearly as creative as some. I hope it does well though...

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Glad this turned out well. It's not my cup of tea at all as I don't have a single creative bone in my body, but it will be cool to see what people come up with and always great to have more games and tools to help kids learn and work on their creative side.

I can't speak for the west, but here in Japan I'm seeing Labo commercials more frequently than Odyssey ones last year. At least that's how it feels.

I haven't seen any in the US, but the only thing I watch live is ESPN and other sports stuff where they probably wouldn't run ads. I imagine it's pretty heavy on the cartoon networks—I know there were regularly Nintendo ads on Disney XD when Star Wars Rebels would air for instance.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
can't wait for my daughter's birthday in July - we're going to have a blast building these with me, she and the little man.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Posting my comment here in the verge thread

I hope those who create stuff on it (coding area) can post it or upload it which users can download and use. That guitar code alone looks too time consuming... It'd be cool if there is a system where people are able to share what they make you know...
Like someone makes a guitar code and posts it and others with Labo cut some cardboard and make a guitar and use the code, maybe tweak a bit too according to their tastes. Similarly for other stuff the community creates.