• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 62

Update: Nintendo will distribute it in all territories.

Nintendo of Europe will distribute the retail version of Dark Souls Remastered for Nintendo Switch in Europe. The title will be the fifth 3rd party game that Nintendo of Europe distributes on Switch, with Doom, Skyrim, Ultra Street Fighter 2, and Schlag den Star being the other four.

This does not come as a total surprise as retailers had previously only received product and pricing information for the Xbox One and PS4 versions from Bandai Namco. While the reasons for this distribution deal are unknown, it could very well be related to the higher costs of Switch game cards. With Nintendo taking over the distribution, we have price parity at launch (EUR39.99).

Looking forward, this probably also means that we will not see the same discounts on the Switch version that will occur with the other versions, given that Doom and Skyrim for Switch haven't reached the low prices we see on other systems.

dsr_switch_packshot20c8s3o.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo of Europe will distribute the retail version of Dark Souls Remastered for Nintendo Switch in Europe. The title will be the fourth 3rd party game that Nintendo of Europe distributes on Switch, with Doom, Skyrim, and Schlag den Star being the other three.

This does not come as a total surprise as retailers had previously only received product and pricing information for the Xbox One and PS4 versions from Bandai Namco. While the reasons for this distribution deal are unknown, it could very well be related to the higher costs of Switch game cards. With Nintendo taking over the distribution, we have price parity at launch (EUR39.99).

Looking forward, this probably also means that we will not see the same discounts on the Switch version that will occur with the other versions, given that Doom and Skyrim for Switch haven't reached the low prices we see on other systems.

Ultra Street Fighter 2?

This isn't a surprise by the way. Nintendo distributes pretty much any worthwhile third party game in Europe and the placement on the Nintendo UK Store was similar to First Party games.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully my online retail shop were i order most of my games brings down the price now to 40 euro's, still 60. (bol.com)

Hopefully that truly means price parity cuz the ps4 and xbone ones are 40 already there.

OP
OP

Deleted member 62

Ultra Street Fighter 2?

This isn't a surprise by the way. Nintendo distributes pretty much any worthwhile third party game in Europe and the placement on the Nintendo UK Store was similar to First Party games.

Completely forgot about that one.

Hopefully my online retail shop were i order most of my games brings down the price now to 40 euro's, still 60. (bol.com)

Hopefully that truly means price parity cuz the ps4 and xbone ones are 40 already there.

Bandai Namco had sent out product information for the versions distributed by them to shops, for the Switch version shops then created their own product listing with a placeholder price. Nintendo only sent out information on the Switch version to retailers today.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That explains why we never got official confirmation of the european price.

That part is disingenuous however. DOOM was never going to have its price cut by 80% two months after its original release, even if it wasn't handled by Nintendo. Both DOOM and USF2 had sales on the eShop unlike most Nintendo's first-party releases, so it shows that they're ready to make price cuts when needed.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
While the reasons for this distribution deal are unknown, it could very well be related to the higher costs of Switch game cards. With Nintendo taking over the distribution, we have price parity at launch (EUR39.99).
Thats quite the reach.
Dark Souls is a important release for Nintendo and the Switch - thats why they are pushing it as a important 3rdParty release.
The announcement was at a Nintendo Direct and the project likely started with Nintendo asking Bamco/From Software if they could bring Dark Souls to Switch.

Not everything is related to the costs of Switch cards.

Deku_o4a

Oct 27, 2017
It's finally 40€ on amazon.de like the other versions.
Just preordered!
My body is Reggie for portable Souls.

OP
OP

Deleted member 62

Thats quite the reach.
Dark Souls is a important release for Nintendo and the Switch - thats why they are pushing it as a important 3rdParty release.
The announcement was at a Nintendo Direct and the project likely started with Nintendo asking Bamco/From Software if they could bring Dark Souls to Switch.

Not everything is related to the costs of Switch cards.

The distribution deal is only for Europe and is only for the retail version. NoE is now eating the higher production costs for Bandai Namco. There are no other benefits for Bandai Namco.

Other publishers typically charge EUR10 more if the price on other platforms is EUR30 or EUR40, simply due to the higher licensing fees/production costs.

OP
OP

Deleted member 62

Increased sales would be one benefit.

Care to explain why the sales are higher when Nintendo ships a product to stores when compared to Bandai Namco shipping it to stores? This is not a deal for promoting the game, that is all still with Bandai Namco.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy can't wait for future Saturn/Media Markt promotions where all versions but Switch will be 15€.
Ah well pre-ordered the Switch version.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Care to explain why the sales are higher when Nintendo ships a product to stores when compared to Bandai Namco shipping it to stores? This is not a deal for promoting the game, that is all still with Bandai Namco.

I assume if price parity is real, that will mean higher sales.
If Nintendo is doing the distribution, the game will be pushed along with other 1st party titles, meaning more shelf space and better visibility/availability.

More sales for BanNam

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glad to see Nintendo stepping in to get pricing parity here. Good way not to cut the title off at the knees.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Completely forgot about that one.

Bandai Namco had sent out product information for the versions distributed by them to shops, for the Switch version shops then created their own product listing with a placeholder price. Nintendo only sent out information on the Switch version to retailers today.

Amazon.de already sells all three versions for 39,99€.

bildschirmfoto2018-02unszf.png

base.com has it for 30 pounds, ships all over Europe

Nice thanks fella's!

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
That's good news I guess, but I'll take PS4 60fps version over Switch any day.

Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo seems kind of stuck in this situation now where they basically have to pay for all distribution costs (if not, complete publishing costs) for pretty much every major 3rd party title on their systems from major publishers, or else they won't release their games on their systems.

This is the double edged sword they made for themselves back in the 3DS era, where they basically had to pay 3rd parties to bother to localise and release their 3DS games in the west. Sure, it was necessary back then, but now they're kind of stuck with carrying it on; since they're basically being held to ransom. And the worst thing is that they can't really be selective with it either. They can't, say, only do it for Capcom, because then Square Enix will complain and refuse to release their games on Switch unless they get the same deal.

It's a good thing that they're in a good position with Switch right now; but it's gonna be really tough for them to break out of it. It's pretty ridiculous that they have to pay for distribution here when Namco are happy to put the effort into doing it for every other platform, but that's the position they've put themselves in. Ditto with Dragon Quest Builders.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yep.

Dark Souls 2 japanese cover is also awesome.

51MS3bnjHpL.jpg

Indeed, I was thinking of posting it too!

DS3 boxart was the same ugly shit that we got here, but the Fire Fades edition returned to their awesome style.

Wow. That's a great cover. I'd love that pic as a computer background (w/o the text, obviously)

It's my desktop wallpaper lol

http://wallpaperswide.com/dark_souls-wallpapers.html

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo of america also put published Doom in the states and Skyrim but concealed this with bethesda's name on the cover. Weird

Then again Nintendo did pay EA for the Fifa port so EA didn't have to lose a single cent for Fifa 18 on switch they even helped with the porting development lol. Nice to see nintendo bending so much to 3rd party publishers but how much longer can they bend lol.

Like how many square enix titles will nintendo have to publish in the West since square enix is so afraid to publish for switch /3ds in the West

At least this helps nintendo print a better picture about the switch having "3rd party games "

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Nintendo of america also put published Doom in the states and Skyrim but concealed this with bethesda's name on the cover. Weird

Then again Nintendo did pay EA for the Fifa port so EA didn't have to lose a single cent for Fifa 18 on switch they even helped with the porting development lol. Nice to see nintendo bending so much to 3rd party publishers for once.
Hmm? That's news to me.

papercan

Oct 25, 2017

Then again Nintendo did pay EA for the Fifa port so EA didn't have to lose a single cent for Fifa 18 on switch they even helped with the porting development lol. Nice to see nintendo bending so much to 3rd party publishers but how much longer can they bend lol.

Like how many square enix titles will nintendo have to publish in the West since square enix is so afraid to publish for switch /3ds in the West

At least this helps nintendo print a better picture about the switch having "3rd party games "
Really? Can we get a source for this?
Your saying nintendo paid for the whole thing, including developing, so it didn't cost EA a single penny?

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Really? Can we get a source for this?

Cant just my own source. Anyway it's very interesting to see the type of games nintendo is helping with distribution/ publishing. I hope this does create a better relationship with their partners in the future. Like it will be really interesting to see if/when dragon quest 11 gets localized and who gets to publish the switch version Nintendo or square since square enix is indeed publishing the PS4 version in the west but nintendo has published all the 3ds dragon quest games to help the brand so will they publish the switch version? Will that mean a delay or will the PS4 version come out first and switch later due to nintendo having to be forced into publishing ?

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Nintendo seems kind of stuck in this situation now where they basically have to pay for all distribution costs (if not, complete publishing costs) for pretty much every major 3rd party title on their systems from major publishers, or else they won't release their games on their systems.
Remember that time Sony bought off a ton of third-party games for PS1, most of which filled out the best sellers list on the system?

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Wow I guess UK physical sales are that bad huh. But shouldn't France, Germany, and the other EU countries be fine? The game should fit on an 8 GB card which is likely the reason it has price parity in the US and Japan. What is it with the EU and prices all the time?

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
As far from ideal as this may be, this is good to see as doing what is necessary is more important. And Nintendo needs to be much more aggressive than this to secure third-party content for their platform, they need to build it up and to build their ecosystem.

In today's PlayStation/Xbox/PC ecosystem, Nintendo needs third parties more than third parties need Nintendo. They've knocked it out of the park with the Switch so far, it's fantastic, but hopefully they don't rest on their laurels at any time and instead push even more to succeed.

And in a funny way, Nintendo publishing these (cherry-picked) games rematerializes a pseudo-Nintendo Seal of Quality that actually is in effect.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
The distribution deal is only for Europe and is only for the retail version. NoE is now eating the higher production costs for Bandai Namco. There are no other benefits for Bandai Namco.

Other publishers typically charge EUR10 more if the price on other platforms is EUR30 or EUR40, simply due to the higher licensing fees/production costs.
Why would production costs only be higher in EU though?

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh. €40?
Might have to pick this one up (again) after all...
Perhaps this time it'll finally click. (And I own all games in the series :-/ )

OP
OP

Deleted member 62

Wow I guess UK physical sales are that bad huh. But shouldn't France, Germany, and the other EU countries be fine? The game should fit on an 8 GB card which is likely the reason it has price parity in the US and Japan. What is it with the EU and prices all the time?

At least on Sony platforms the licensing fee publishers pay depends on the retail price. Publishers pay a lower fee to Sony when a game costs 30 EUR when compared to a game that costs 60 EUR. On Switch, the fee is solely dependent on the card size. Publishers need to pay less to Sony when they sell a game for 30 EUR than when they use a 4GB or 8GB card. For a game that costs 60 EUR, the difference might be negligible.

Why would production costs only be higher in EU though?

They aren't, but Bandai Namco North America and Bandai Namco Europe are independent from each other in terms of pricing. While one entity might be willing to take the additional costs, the other may not. One entity might choose a higher price, while the other doesn't. We've seen this with One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP on 3DS for example.

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
I'm starting to suspect that it's the same with the NA version since I cannot import it from Amazon US and the Switch version is more expensive than the others... ugh.

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
Cant just my own source. Anyway it's very interesting to see the type of games nintendo is helping with distribution/ publishing. I hope this does create a better relationship with their partners in the future. Like it will be really interesting to see if/when dragon quest 11 gets localized and who gets to publish the switch version Nintendo or square since square enix is indeed publishing the PS4 version in the west but nintendo has published all the 3ds dragon quest games to help the brand so will they publish the switch version? Will that mean a delay or will the PS4 version come out first and switch later due to nintendo having to be forced into publishing ?
wow, had no idea this was allowed.
E3 will be nuts if people can simply just say this as a response to any claim made though but i guess you have insider knowledge.
If true that's massive news and really should have it's own thread, Nintendo paying the entire costs of the Fifa game so that EA only stands to make money from the title is huge and something i don't think i've ever seen done before to this extent.
Nintendo went all out this time, if your saying this about Fifa it makes me wonder about doom/skyrim and L.A noire though.

Last edited: