• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
This one went under everyone's radar but it selling like madness as well. It's gonna end up at more than 5 millions worldwide by the end of december. Could be above 6 even.

Ok thats impressive.
I think it was Bloomberg. A reporter chose to make an article on the view of minority of analysts

Correct.

Console is losing shine with shipments seen missing targets

With few attractive titles for the holiday shopping season and shipments on track to fall short of the company's targets, doubts are growing whether Nintendos Co. Switch can ever become a mass-market product.

"All great consoles need a great second year, and Nintendo hasn't delivered one for the Switch," said Cornelio Ash, an analyst at William O'Neil & Co. in Los Angeles. "Investors thought over five years they could sell maybe 90 million units. But after this year, that's looking pretty much impossible."

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I love the console. I'll take it downstairs and put on Hulu or YouTube to wash the dishes to. It's loud enough to use as a speaker for the shower. Someone should make a program for the eShop that reads MP3s off of your SD card.

Oh, and it's got a bunch of good games that you can play on your TV or take to your bed.

I wonder if, when the PS5 and X2 come out, the Switch will prosper or fall off a bit. I see it taking Japanese AA development like the 3DS and PSP did.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
So I see "losing momentum" is the new "sales will fall off a cliff" and "honeymoon period is over".

Can't wait to hear that Switch lost momentum going from the 3rd quarter of Nintendo's current fiscal year to the 4th quarter.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
This one went under everyone's radar but it selling like madness as well. It's gonna end up at more than 5 millions worldwide by the end of december. Could be above 6 even.
Those joycon bundles are putting in WORK. 2 joycons plus the latest Mario Party guarantees that if you are a Switch owner with only 2 Joycons you have a great entry price party game for those 4 player jams. But yeah, even SMP doing god like numbers is a testament to the success of this console.

Anyway, great numbers. If Nintendo sells 20 mil in this FY, that puts them around 35LTD correct? That is an insane number if they pull it off, nobody has gone into their 3rd Year with that kind of install base in forever. Year 3 with Animal Crossing+Pokemon+Fire Emblem and maybe a revision, just holy shit. I'm gonna say it again and let you all consider me crazy, but they are gonna double that LTD in 2019, get ready for 2019 YTD ~30mil. They are gonna pull off DS numbers this year, I feek that storm coming

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
You know what's crazy. Ive seen the Switch once in public. But I know its selling like hotcakes cause I never see it in stores.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anecdotally, the young adults of today (~20 year olds) have very fond memories of Nintendo games and are less fazed/affected by the stigma of Nintendo being for kids than even my generation was (30 years old).
this is a good point as well. the new generation doesn't have a lot of fucks to give about the things they're interested in and how it may make them look.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A few years ago some were questioning just how popular Nintendo's ip was. With the rise Minecraft I do remember some questioning the relevance of Mario and co.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
So how likely are they to hit 20mil now? Is it looking more likely than not at this point?

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty incredible.

What I find even more impressive is how Nintendo Software dictates how much Switch sells. It isn't so niche as I thought it was, the Nintendo brand still holds their mainstream appeal like anyone else.

I just hope third-parties give the Switch a better support, it's not bad right now, but this is a mainstream system that can be profitable to them if they develop good and focused games.

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Nice recovery from the WiiU. What a disaster that piece of junk was.

I'm digging the Switch. Smash is unbelievably good.

plebc

Jan 7, 2018
A lot of Europeans are using US accounts now that Nintendo got rid of region-locking, so that also helps the US stats.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
this is a good point as well. the new generation doesn't have a lot of fucks to give about the things they're interested in and how it may make them look.
It's also that we were raised in an environment where gaming was ubiquitous as a hobby, in contrast to old people (the 30+ folks) who still saw gaming as a fringe hobby. It makes it much easier to talk about games, and about Nintendo games specifically, since almost everyone who has gamed has played them at some point.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
Those joycon bundles are putting in WORK. 2 joycons plus the latest Mario Party guarantees that if you are a Switch owner with only 2 Joycons you have a great entry price party game for those 4 player jams. But yeah, even SMP doing god like numbers is a testament to the success of this console.

Anyway, great numbers. If Nintendo sells 20 mil in this FY, that puts them around 35LTD correct? That is an insane number if they pull it off, nobody has gone into their 3rd Year with that kind of install base in forever. Year 3 with Animal Crossing+Pokemon+Fire Emblem and maybe a revision, just holy shit. I'm gonna say it again and let you all consider me crazy, but they are gonna double that LTD in 2019, get ready for 2019 YTD ~30mil. They are gonna pull off DS numbers this year, I feek that storm coming

37M LTD if they reach 20M this FY, correct me if I'm wrong. Switch started this fiscal year at 17M, I guess.

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
This is pretty incredible.

What I find even more impressive is how Nintendo Software dictates how much Switch sells. It isn't so niche as I thought it was, the Nintendo brand still holds their mainstream appeal like anyone else.

I just hope third-parties give the Switch a better support, it's not bad right now, but this is a mainstream system that can be profitable to them if they develop good and focused games.

And third-party-devs have no real argument against developing games for Switch, as third-party-games on Switch tend to sell better than other platforms in terms of attach rate, if they are quality. (That might be the problem in the current AAA industry tho)

Ok yeah, power might be a problem, but with correct optimization or even developing with the Switch first in mind (or even exclusively, exclusives for Switch sell exceptionally well) is always possible.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
1/ Halo 3 : 3.3 millions, (12 days) September 2007
1/ Halo Reach : 3.3 millions, (19 days) September 2010
3/ Halo 2 : 3.27 millions, (19 days) November 2004
4/ Halo 4 : 3.2 millions, (19 days) November 2012
5/ Super Smash Bros. Ultimate : 3 millions (11 days) December 2018

So Smash is selling on par with Halo 2, 4 and Reach

Fist month $ sales exclusive record is also up for grabs.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It's also that we were raised in an environment where gaming was ubiquitous as a hobby, in contrast to old people (the 30+ folks) who still saw gaming as a fringe hobby. It makes it much easier to talk about games, and about Nintendo games specifically, since almost everyone who has gamed has played them at some point.

Personally see it like the Disney cycle. You grow up on Disney and love it (most anyway). You grow up and then it becomes uncool to like Disney and you go into more 'adult' stuff like Shiek in the early 2000s. Then you get older and you go back Disney because you see under all the flowers, wishes, and baby tears, lies some deep messages that resonate with you as an adult. Then you make your kids grow up on Disney and the cycle begins again.

Jan 1, 2018

In addition to this, Nintendo is about to be sitting pretty with a 50+ million install base by the time the next generation consoles release. With Microsoft and Sony's offering being in limbo regarding their install base as they try to transition players forward, Nintendo is going to be the clear market leader for quite some time. I think these years will be when Nintendo recovers the third party support they lost as they transitioned to the N64.

Switch, to me, has been a mark of Renaissance for Nintendo, and these numbers at this time only appear to encourage this mindset.

We'll see how this actually turns out in practice though. Nintendo is in a good position, but we've seen what they've done before.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In addition to this, Nintendo is about to be sitting pretty with a 50+ million install base by the time the next generation consoles release. With Microsoft and Sony's offering being in limbo regarding their install base as they try to transition players forward, Nintendo is going to be the clear market leader for quite some time. I think these years will be when Nintendo recovers the third party support they lost as they transitioned to the N64.

Switch, to me, has been a mark of Renaissance for Nintendo, and these numbers at this time only appear to encourage this mindset.

We'll see how this actually turns out in practice though. Nintendo is in a good position, but we've seen what they've done before.

Exactly. You really don't know with Nintendo as they operate on their own lane.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Monster figure for Smash. 3M sold and significant sales portion of the holidays still ahead. NPD Dec 2018 runs through 1/5/19, so nearly 20 tracked days still to go. It should cross the 3.3M record w/o digital sales with ease I think. WW I think at this point the sales are at 6-7M, and I'd bet given holiday demand they've already shipped 10M.

Sun/Moon shipped just under 15M in a single quarter, and I think Smash gets close to that figure as well in Nintendo's Q3 reporting.

US BOTW >4M and SMO >4.7, BOTW with Wii U version sales added as well is probably keeping close behind SMO and both showing no signs of slowing down. Though NSW BOTW looks to have dipped under the 50% attach rate given the 8.7M HW figure.

MK8D will double that 5M number.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Switch is a console with a very easy to communicate and understand mission.
In my mind for Switch Nintendo (new?) management identified that contemporary people find increasingly hard to find the time for themselves to play games due to work, family and the bombarding information from Internet and resolved to try to soothe this problem with their integrated hardware and software approach.
That's it, the base of Switch success.
Of course strategy execution and software schedule were also much more on point and focused on Switch compared to WiiU and nVidia gave Nintendo a big hand with their software tools knowledge (I consider nVidia software knowledge the best part of the deal Nintendo signed with the korean company).

The base was the same for the development of the Wii U. Even the friendly stance towards the developers began there, back in the Wii U era. At the same time, you could not expect any company in the world to not try to continue a legacy based on its most successful console of all time, a product called Wii. Their approach was kind of right, but there was a mismatch in many things. Nor the industry or Nintendo was ready for that kind of product, thank god both caught up a few years later :-).

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018

Exactly, why would anyone want to develop for NextBox or PS5 where the development time costs way more, is longer and way less profitable because their userbase is minimal? Hopefully AAA games will then finally focus on gameplay again and not pretty graphics to hide bad and repetetive gameplay which gets rereleased every year with minimal changes.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know that. To me, the WiiU looked more like an attempt to bring the concept of the DS to the living room. Two screen, one being touch sensitive etc... While the Switch is a regular handheld which can connect to a TV. Or a regular home console which can be brought along, depending on how you want to see it.
The concept of the Wii U are almost identical. The main goal was to take the concept of all Nintendo consoles prior and put it into one package. The Wii u has the additional features if full social interaction as well as asymmetrical gameplay. The issue with the Wii U was that EVERYTHING about it was clunky and confusing. The name itself COULD have been ok. But do to the marketing constantly hiding the console itself behind that giant clunky controller, a lot of people thought the U stood for upgrade, an that it was just a controller for the Wii. Which is the next issue, the integration of all the Wii accessories. If you had an OG Wiimote, you needed Wii motion plus, and that ugly as sin condom, but made the once sleek controller a clunky mess, unless you bought the updated models. Add to the fact that you needed the gamepad to start the games even if you only planned on using the Wiimotes.

The Switch too the same concept sacrificed asymmetrical gameplay for true portability, and for no reason that I can understand got rid of the social aspect of the previous system. Maybe they didn't want to compete with the other social platforms, but the idea they have behind voice chat and communication goes against evening the switch stands for. The Switch is the Wii U in a attractive, cohesive, modular package, that allows you to play your games when you have time for it, in addition to hit no longer limited to when you make time for it. Nintendo made everything much more compact than the WiiU making everything easier to move around with.

When you look at it it really is what the Wii U wanted to be, but dinner as right as they could (sans the social aspect).

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
It's a joy to see local multiplayer titles like Super Mario Party and Smash Ultimate doing extremely well.

#SaveTheCouch

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
They both start by showing its off TV function, which was one of the major features of the Wii U to the point that Iwata was very proud of it. There is an interview from Iwata talking all about the Wii U's off TV play, so it wasn't superficial. That and one of the mini games in Super Mario Party is an advance version of the checker game in the Wii U trailer.
Look at the commercials when WiiU launched in 2012 and how much screen time the off TV function got:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3VSM9iQeDA

Now look at Switch first commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdWd8fUC71g

Jan 1, 2018
Exactly, why would anyone want to develop for NextBox or PS5 where the development time costs way more, is longer and way less profitable because their userbase is minimal? Hopefully AAA games will then finally focus on gameplay again and not pretty graphics to hide bad and repetetive gameplay which gets rereleased every year with minimal changes.
I don't think that's an entirely fair way to describe the current state of the industry, with games like Nier Automata, God of War, and Red Dead Redemption 2 releasing to break ground both in terms of graphics and gameplay, not to mention the tremendous success of Indies, especially Celeste this year which went as far as to receive a game of year nomination despite the retro-esque graphics. Meanwhile games like battlefield v and shadow of the tomb Raider proceed to bomb despite their stunning graphics.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't exactly think the successors to ps4/xbo coming out soon is good news for switch 3rd party support. there are multiplat games that switch is getting now (stuff like doom, wolfenstein, trials, diablo, etc) that won't be very easy to port once the publishers target ps5/xb2 for their games.
indies are safe tho, i think most of them are targeting switch and will continue to do so for a few more years.

above 25 = old
that's the law
shit, i considered myself a "young'un" at 26.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Look at the commercials when WiiU launched in 2012 and how much screen time the off TV function got:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3VSM9iQeDA

Now look at Switch first commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdWd8fUC71g

We're talking more than just commercial since the messaging for the Wii U was messy at best. We're talking about the concept and the concept of the Switch has DNA from the Wii U, namely it's off TV play that Iwata was so proud of and wanted to expand on it more.

Oct 25, 2017

They won't, developers worried about the PS5 and Xbox install base will just make cross-gen games, like they did this gen.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We're talking more than just commercial since the messaging for the Wii U was messy at best. We're talking about the concept and the concept of the Switch has DNA from the Wii U, namely it's off TV play that Iwata was so proud of and wanted to expand on it more.

But wasn't a surprise the wii u was given the green light considering the cost of production and secondly the technology not being mature enough. Off TV play was very limited due to the range. I understand the argument that it led to what we have now in the switch but the wii u seemed like a ridiculously expensive experiment.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Wii without casuals is like a turkey dinner ... without turkey. It just doesn't work. Wii was synonymous as a brand with casuals, and once that audience got hooked on smartphones as their go-to device for gaming and 1000 other life style functionality features that Nintendo would never be able to match, that whole Wii brand was always going to collapse.

It was all inevitable. I think even if Nintendo marketed it better and had some better games early on, it wouldn't have in the long run changed much.

For anything called "Wii" to have success it would need to have raging popularity with casuals. And when that fell apart, the brand in effect became toxic.
The reason why Wii and DS were bought by a lot of casuals is that with those two consoles Nintendo made a laser focus effort to lower the barrier to interact with games (and of course specific software was created for the new interfaces since they were the standard on the successful console) to appeal to people that never played videogames or were too afraid to play seriously (and to appeal to lapsed gamers too afraid of complex control inputs).
This control simplification was a dead end though because smartphones, tablets and social gaming eat Nintend launch a generation after.
The GamePad that in the hopes of Nintendo would excite casuals end up being a me too attempt against more ubiquitous devices.
The asymmetrical gameplay and the interaction between TV and GamePad remained the only unique selling points for WiiU but proved to be totally unappealing for the mass market.
The other USP against other available consoles was supposed to be Miiverse but the idea of reinventing the wheel in a time when wheels were everywhere proved to be stupid.