• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
I only ordered a new Lexar 256GB card for the OLED. It does have the fastest read/write speeds the OLED can support, though.

256GB is on the low side when it comes to storage but I really only play a few games at a time and when I'm done with them I just archive them to free up space for anything new. I still find it crazy how people have full cards with 512GB and up storage. lol
Have we actually heard if the OLED supports faster SD cards?

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
It's extremely easy to fill a 512GB if you are 100% digital. I have close to 250 games and unfortunately I can't have them all installed on my 512GB card.
We all have preferences ofc but why would you need 250 games installed at once lol

At least the Switch lets you archive icons so it still shows up in your library anyway

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'll be the third to ask: what do you mean?

OLED screens can really depend on the unit you get. Some can be great, others could be not so great varying in possible differing color temperatures and if there was a way to do a grey test on the Switch, screen uniformity as well.

It's really not that big of a deal though but I can see a lot of people being upset about getting a screen not totally uniform (though probably wont notice when playing games. It gets kinda noticable when the screen is dim though).

I notice these a lot on my phones which have OLED screens. I actually had to swap one phone out to get a better screen because the uniformity was pretty bad at night time and got really distracting

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
OLED screens can really depend on the unit you get. Some can be great, others could be not so great varying in possible differing color temperatures and if there was a way to do a grey test on the Switch, screen uniformity as well.

It's really not that big of a deal though but I can see a lot of people being upset about getting a screen not totally uniform (though probably wont notice when playing games. It gets kinda noticable when the screen is dim though).

I notice these a lot on my phones which have OLED screens. I actually had to swap one phone out to get a better screen because the uniformity was pretty bad at night time and got really distracting

Thanks for answering.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've been on the road for work since May and I'm hoping I can get to my next city and change my Target.com pre-order shipping address in time to have it come straight to me instead of home, where my wife would have to ship it to me. Hopefully, I can do the same thing for the new Surface Pro 8, too, but I think that's already shipped.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017

Exactly. Nintendo is not known for either paying for top quality screens or doing quality control to ensure consistency. I hope I'm wrong, but I fully anticipate the conversation after launch to shift towards screen quality threads.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's extremely easy to fill a 512GB if you are 100% digital. I have close to 250 games and unfortunately I can't have them all installed on my 512GB card.

I'm in this same boat I started with a 256gb, now on a 512gb and I'm probably going to splurge and spend a ridiculous amount of money on 1tb.

I wish Switch OLED had 2 micro sd slots

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. Nintendo is not known for either paying for top quality screens or doing quality control to ensure consistency. I hope I'm wrong, but I fully anticipate the conversation after launch to shift towards screen quality threads.

I still remember when they used IPS for DSi XL and switched to crappy TN screens for the regular 3DS. Then there was a IPS or TN lottery with the NEW 3DS systems. It was a mess and I had to exchange several systems because of it. Nintendo does not have a good track record with displays, which is why I have a hard time getting excited about an OLED Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
México
I still remember when they used IPS for DSi XL and switched to crappy TN screens for the regular 3DS. Then there was a IPS or TN lottery with the NEW 3DS systems. It was a mess and I had to exchange several systems because of it. Nintendo does not have a good track record with displays, which is why I have a hard time getting excited about an OLED Switch.
Except there are no IPS/TN/TFT displays for OLED technology. They will all be the same and they all will probably be Samsung panels.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Right. And that's potentially the exact problem here. Nintendo is advertising and selling this system on the improved screen quality this time around, which is going to make any imperfections all the more glaring.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except there are no IPS/TN/TFT displays for OLED technology. They will all be the same and they all will probably be Samsung panels.

I know that they will all be the same OLED technology but the quality control of each panel may vary significantly. All Switch systems for example up until now had an IPS panel but some were calibrated better than others, the color temperature can vary between units. The same could happen here and you might get lucky or unlucky with the unit you purchase.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
Any word on if these will be sold in stores? Or will it be an online only fiasco similar to PS5 and Series X?

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting video went up from a Youtuber. Usually grain of salt with internet speed tests on consoles, but something slightly worrying. He tested the ethernet port on the OLED Switch in its dock and could only get a max of 7 Mbps upload speed whereas the OG Switch with the ethernet dongle in the OG dock could get 20 Mbps upload speed. When he switched Switches, the OG Switch got 20 Mbps upload speed on the OLED dock (with ethernet) while the OLED Switch remained stuck at 7 Mbps with the dongle on the OG dock. This hints that the limiting factor is the Switch and not the dock.

Hopefully more testing comes out as that would stink for online play.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
My Nintendo Store UK just tried taking payment for my pre-order and my bank automatically declined it and asked me to confirm it was intentional. I'm a bit concerned about where this leaves my order, are they likely to try taking payment again or will I need to contact customer support?

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. Everything is the worst. I just finished the first Great Ace Attorney game, and don't want to start another game (the second one or the new Wario Ware, or resuming Skyward Sword HD) before I get my OLED model and Metroid Dread. These are serious problems.

Interesting video went up from a Youtuber. Usually grain of salt with internet speed tests on consoles, but something slightly worrying. He tested the ethernet port on the OLED Switch in its dock and could only get a max of 7 Mbps upload speed whereas the OG Switch with the ethernet dongle in the OG dock could get 20 Mbps upload speed. When he switched Switches, the OG Switch got 20 Mbps upload speed on the OLED dock (with ethernet) while the OLED Switch remained stuck at 7 Mbps with the dongle on the OG dock. This hints that the limiting factor is the Switch and not the dock.

I would find it hard to believe if it's anything more than a software issue.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. Everything is the worst. I just finished the first Great Ace Attorney game, and don't want to start another game (the second one or the new Wario Ware, or resuming Skyward Sword HD) before I get my OLED model and Metroid Dread. These are serious problems.

I would find it hard to believe if it's anything more than a software issue.

I would hope so as well, but something to keep an eye on, imo. I'm considering upgrading still so this will probably be a big one for me.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Does the OLED works in the original dock too?

I guess I don't care a lot about the actual dock itself but 95% of my playtime with my Switch is spent with the console's tablet only (the joycons have been at the bottom of a drawer for months lol) set on one of those USB powered stands so I would hope it would still work with the new model.

Using this Hori stand

U6Gx1Rx.jpg

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

Even if true for online-play itself wouldn't matter much, online-play needs latency, not speed and 7Mbps is sufficient in throughput.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've been in this boat since the OLED first announced, loading up on an already stacked backlog and not even wanting to try to play games until I get my OLED.

Times are tough

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does the OLED works in the original dock too?

I guess I don't care a lot about the actual dock itself but 95% of my playtime with my Switch is spent with the console's tablet only (the joycons have been at the bottom of a drawer for months lol) set on one of those USB powered stands so I would hope it would still work with the new model.

Using this Hori stand

U6Gx1Rx.jpg
yes, it works in the original dock

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
For those without a preorder, what's your game plan come Friday? My Target opens at 8 am - think I might drive over at a quarter to and see if I can get lucky right when they open. I've got a nearby Best Buy and Gamestop I plan to check as well.

Polynaut

Oct 27, 2017
My Best Buy Metroid order says "preparing for pickup on Friday" but my OLED preorder still says "we'll let you know when it's ready" 😬

Wander

Oct 25, 2017
For those without a preorder, what's your game plan come Friday? My Target opens at 8 am - think I might drive over at a quarter to and see if I can get lucky right when they open. I've got a nearby Best Buy and Gamestop I plan to check as well.

this is my plan too. Hoping I can snag one before I work at 10a

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Currys called me and said they were going to be packing them starting tomorrow for delivery on Friday, which is nice. Only went with them as I got a discount. Means I can cancel my Amazon UK order which is still hanging back displaying "Arriving Oct 13th".

Gaiaknight

Oct 25, 2017
waiting on gamestop to charge me for my switch oled preorder hopefully its soon that way i know im still getting it incase i gotta stalk best buy on release day to try and snag one.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
So what exactly is required to transfer games and save data to the OLED version?

Would prefer to sell my older Switch while there are still deals going on.

Oct 25, 2017
México
So what exactly is required to transfer games and save data to the OLED version?

Do you have a Nintendo Switch Online subscription? If you do, 99% of your saves should be backed up to the cloud with just a few notable examples (Splatoon 2 and Animal Crossing for example).

Keep in mind that some of the games in the link above do have their own cloud saves like Minecraft (Microsoft account) or Fortnite (Epic account) and so on.

Last edited:

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Canceled my Target order in favor of the Amazon one (sorry to anyone who requested the Target order, can't swing paying for two upfront). Hoping Amazon can deliver before lunchtime.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017

If you subscribe to NSO, make sure all your saves are backed up to the cloud. You can just log in on your new machine, redownload your games, and redownload your saves.

Move your screenshots and videos to an SD card that you'll use for the OLED.

If you have any saves that don't support cloud backup, you need to have your account/profile on both your current Switch and your new one to transfer. (You could also use a friend's machine as a go-between if you trust anyone to do that for you.)

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Do you have a Nintendo Switch Online subscription? If you do, 99% of your saves should be backed up to the cloud with just a few notable examples (Splatoon 2 and Animal Crossing for example).

Keep in mind that some of the games in the link above do have their own cloud saves like Minecraft (Microsoft account) or Fortnite (Epic account) and so on.

Cool. I have a NSO account already and many of my titles are physical. So as long as most of my stuff can be accessed via the cloud then maybe I'll go ahead and trade it in sooner.

Picking one up from GameStop so that should save me alot. Might trade the old PS4 as well to maybe take the entire cost off with money to spare.

Could possibly allow me to keep my Target order as well. Maybe give it to my daughter. I don't know yet with that 2nd preorder.