• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017

PaultheNerd

Dec 25, 2018
Is anyone who actually owns a switch already picking up this?
Definitely. I have a v1 Switch so the battery life and Mariko chip are upgrades for me, on top of the bigger OLED display and new kickstand. I find myself not playing my Switch a lot because I leave it docked and I need to do some HDMI switching before getting it to display on the TV. Having an enhanced tabletop experience will certainly entice me more to play it, especially as I primarily play Splatoon 2, and the small screen of the OG Switch makes it a bit hard for me to see. The extra ~0.8 inch should help

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is anyone who actually owns a switch already picking up this?
Me. Maybe. I don't know lol.

I have an OG launch switch that has piss poor battery life and a niece who would love to take the hand-me-down to use docked for Mario Kart 8 and Smash.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Afaik, it wasn't orderable yet.
Hasn't gone live yet. It still says "Currently not available".
giphy.gif

Jul 18, 2018
North Carolina
Note that if your OG Switch is the «homebrewable» one (models bought before mid 2019 if I recall correctly) you can get waaaay much more for it.

I sold an OG, hackable switch in early 2020. I listed it on ebay as "Nintendo Switch 32GB Console w/ Neon Red and Blue Joy-Con - Unpatched, Homebrew" and it "sold" in February 2020 for 341.96 USD. I say "sold" because that buyer never paid. I re-listed it and it sold for $240 to someone overseas.

This was a well-used launch-day 2017 model. I had a glass screen protector on it, but it was pretty well used. Since the supply of hackable switches is finite, they probably still keep their value.

Edit: I upgraded to the HAC-001(01) revision with the longer battery life. Amazon Warehouse was selling them in "Used - Like New" condition for $227 in January 2020. It was 100% brand new. Probably a returned Christmas gift since it was January.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was planning to give my launch Switch to a niece when the 'Pro' came out. In a vacuum I don't mind getting an OLED since I do a lot of handheld playing, and I'd like her to get my current one.

The only problem is that it's not actually worth the $350 and if a new model with an actual upgrade came out in the next 2 years or so I'd feel cheated.

Will probably miss pre orders anyway. If I can get an OLED/Dread bundle I'll jump on it.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I managed to get a preorder in at Game in the UK a couple of days ago. Looks like they're out of stock now.

I'm wondering if they have plans to do an OLED version of the Switch Lite. I bet they will.
Would not shock me if we see that next year, then a full blown successor a couple of years after that.

Nov 21, 2017
I haven't had a Switch for almost a year now. Really thinking about getting this... But then again, I don't have enough time for all my games as is. So... I don't know. Tempted, but not sure.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Oh goodie, its the PS5 pre-order debacle all over again... Managed to somehow luck out that time so I'm not betting on lightning striking for me twice.
I've lucked out a few times this year. Managed a 3080 on a Best Buy drop earlier this year. Got Metroid Dread LE on Gamestop. Got SMTV Premium Edition on Amazon.

Here's hoping I luck out again with this.

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are launch models that are not cfw'able?

I think it depends on the firmware you're on, but no, i think any launch switch up to a certain serial number is able to have the RCM hack.

Cfw? What are they worth though

Ebay will have you believing they're worth $400, i think regularly, for a switch that is confirmed to be able to have the RCM mod + CFW, you could fetch between $250-300 for just the console itself. Best way to check is to ebay "nintendo switch low serial"

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
Man something clicked in me when I measured the size of my cock Switch Lite and compared it to what a Switch OLED screen would be, and it's a pretty huge jump I gotta say. That alone has made me want one more than the OLED itself. Fucking hyped.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it depends on the firmware you're on, but no, i think any launch switch up to a certain serial number is able to have the RCM hack.

Ebay will have you believing they're worth $400, i think regularly, for a switch that is confirmed to be able to have the RCM mod + CFW, you could fetch between $250-300 for just the console itself. Best way to check is to ebay "nintendo switch low serial"
If I only get 250 I'll just sell it to GameStop for 175-200 for convenience

Shad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I'm just sleep deprived from staying up til like 3am MDT every night so far waiting for these preorder links to go live here in the US, but I *think* GameStop's preorder page updated with a message saying "Coming Soon! Check back soon for preorders..." Not that I plan on ordering from them, but maybe we're finally getting closer overall?