• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
www.gamesindustry.biz

Nintendo Switch was Europe's No.1 console in March | European Monthly Charts

Across Europe, video game sales jumped in March, driven by continued strong sales for Elden Ring, plus a number of big …
Across Europe, video game sales jumped in March, driven by continued strong sales for Elden Ring, plus a number of big releases.

Stock shortages continue to hold back Xbox and PlayStation, but it was a strong month for Nintendo Switch, with sales up year-on-year.

Over 14.2 million games were sold across Europe in March, a rise of over 34% compared with March last year.

PlayStation stock woes continue

332,000 games consoles were sold across European territories last month (data does not include UK or Germany. You can check our UK report here). It's a rise of 14% over the previous month, but a drop of 39% over the same period in 2021.

Nintendo Switch was the most popular console. Switch sales increased 9% compared with March last year.
Xbox Series X and S was the second most-popular console. Both Xbox and PlayStation platforms are suffering from severe stocks shortages

March GSD February 2022 Top 20 Games (Digital + Physical)

PositionTitle
1Elden Ring (Bandai Namco)
2Gran Turismo 7 (Sony)
3FIFA 22 (EA)
4Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
5Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Nintendo)*
6WWE 2K22 (2K Games)
7Horizon Forbidden West (Sony)
8Pokémon Legends: Arceus (Nintendo)*
9F1 2021 (EA)
10Tiny Tina's Wonderlands (2K Games)
11Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
12Mario Party Superstars (Nintendo)*
13Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
14Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft)
15NBA 2K22 (2K Games)
16Big Brain Academy: Brain vs Brain (Nintendo)*
17Minecraft: Switch Edition (Mojang)*
18Grand Theft Auto Online (Rockstar)
19Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (EA)
20Triangle Strategy (Square Enix)

Last edited:

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
the switch really feels like nintendos most successful console ever, and I'm including the ds. this thing just doesn't stop selling, both its software and hardware.

Oct 27, 2017
Im very happy for kirby
Its always been weakest in Europe and being number 5 right behind the big popular games is very good(and being retail only as well)

Last edited:

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Sony really need to get their production sorted because Xbox will fill any gap the ps5 is unable to. It seems like people are just buying what they can get and whoever produces more is likely to get the bigger chunk of the market.

OP
OP
Shoot

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox has no presence in Europe though. /s
And this is the second month in a row. I think this is the beginning of a trend.
www.gamesindustry.biz

Elden Ring is the biggest new IP since The Division | European Monthly Charts

Elden Ring is Europe's biggest new games IP since The Division in 2016, and the biggest game launch since Call of Duty:…

Xbox Overtakes PS5 as stock woes continue

In terms of European console sales, Nintendo Switch was comfortably the No.1 console. (Note: UK and Germany are the major European countries not included in this data).

Overall, hardware sales are down 32% over January and down 44% compared with February last year.
Switch sales are down 14% compared with the same month in 2021, but is up 52% compared to February 2020, which was pre-pandemic.

PS5 and Xbox Series X continues to struggle with stock levels. As a result, for the first time, more Xbox Series consoles were sold across Europe than PS5s. This is primarily due to the availability of the Xbox Series S model.
European GSD February 2021 Top 20 Games (Digital + Physical)

Elden Ring (Bandai Namco)​
Horizon Forbidden West (Sony)​
Pokémon Legends: Arceus (Nintendo)​
FIFA 22 (EA)​
Dying Light 2: Stay Human (Techland)​
Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)​
Total War: Warhammer 3 (Sega)​
Mario Party Superstars (Nintendo)*​
XCOM 2 (2K Games)​
Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*​
F1 2021 (Codemasters)​
Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)​
Big Brain Academy: Brain vs Brain (Nintendo)*​
NBA 2K22 (2K Games)​
Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft)​
Call of Duty: Vanguard (Activision Blizzard)​
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Nintendo)*​
Minecraft: Nintendo Switch edition​
Pokémon Brilliant Diamond (Nintendo)*​
Just Dance 2022 (Ubisoft)​
Also Elden Ring topping the charts two months in a row is really impressive.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
With all the mocking Nintendo gets for having "underpowered hardware," it's strategy seems to be working very well in the modern supply constrained environment.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain to me why all of the Switch consoles are readily available when the PS5 continues to be a nightmare to get? I could even walk in and get an OLED Switch without any reservations or anything.

Is it because Sony are terrible at supply chain management or does the PS5 use more chips or what?

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if Sony's production is so low because they are using the PS5 hardware for Spartacus. I mean, they have to right? They have a streaming platform advertising PS5 games launching in a few months.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me why all of the Switch consoles are readily available when the PS5 continues to be a nightmare to get? I could even walk in and get an OLED Switch without any reservations or anything.

Is it because Sony are terrible at supply chain management or does the PS5 use more chips or what?
a)More mature production lines (Switch is old console)
b)Older node (16nm vs 7nm) so less competition for wafers (also obviously Switch chip is much smaller so you get more of those from wafers even with the node difference)
c)Chip shortages are not just about the main processors. Also memory etc. PS5 has way more components than Switch so component shortages multiple for it.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Real happy for Xbox, but not expecting anything shocking in terms of turnaround in EU. No doubt GP is a game changer for the system.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
A source? It is an exaggeration of the current ps5 supply constraints.

You need a damn tracker to have a chance of purchasing one any where in Europe.
I think we do feel the stronger supply of Series consoles over here in Europe.
Randomly checking Media Markt you can order a Series S today and receive it on Saturday.
The Series X can actually be ordered with a delivery date of early May but that's still better than the PS5 situation.
The PS5 still doesn't even show up in the search results.
Sony probably doesn't care because they feel like they've supplied enough consoles in the first year to cement their European position and are now focusing on other territories.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yea, the Series S being so widely available and the PS5 still having stock woes this makes sense.

The Series S was an amazing decision in hindsight; really helping Xbox here.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sales must be a pain in the ass for people to calculate and hit targets with at the moment. It's literally all dependent on who is manufacturing and shipping out the fastest.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Why nintendo is not hit as much with its suply chain:
less components (memory chips, etc)
Oldere Chips (older nodes are less sought after)
Smaller chips (-> more producable pere waver)

And why xbox is now winning:
while some argue "who wants a console and still hasnt any hasnt really tried" is missing that mainstream consumers are not gonna follow tracking sites, or some twitter accounts. they try to buy it in stores or online, and there XBox is simply more available to buy at the moment.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm not sure this is the case, particularly given Switch ships with a battery, screen, two controllers and dock in every unit (with silicon dedicated to each)?
The Switch could also ship with 2 games, a pack of baseball cards, and a 3 month subscription to Netflix and that wouldn't change the supply situation.

And all of those components are in much more ready supply then the components that are causing the massive ps5 shortage.

TheTruth

Jul 23, 2018
It's very bad for Playstation. Losing Europe due to shortages (as some of the players who bought Xbox because they are tired of waiting will never go back to PS5) is not good. I wonder if they are thinking about their series s equivalent.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
With all the mocking Nintendo gets for having "underpowered hardware," it's strategy seems to be working very well in the modern supply constrained environment.
Its a loud minority and people mostly interacting in the same closed off bubbles. Most regular people dont care about the shit ppl online will cry about. Games like Kirby, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and co. look good/great to them even on their new 4K TVs as ive witnessed a couple of times.

As an overall plattform Switch seems to get more attractive/popular over time instead of declining - which is impressive so many years in.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Its a loud minority and people mostly interacting in the same closed off bubbles. Most regular people dont care about the shit ppl online will cry about. Games like Kirby, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and co. look good/great to them even on their new 4K TVs as ive witnessed a couple of times.

As an overall plattform Switch seems to get more attractive/popular over time instead of declining - which is impressive so many years in.
Yeah, people crying that "it's desperately needs an upgrade" and "it's losing momentum" are just delusional

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
The Series X is - while not widely and not all the time - available in my country (Austria). If you want one you can find one after several days of looking.
The PS5 continues to be a phantom, never sold anywhere, no store chains seem to get stock anymore or it's gone in minutes. Last year I've seen it being sold/ready to be ordered a few times at least, but currently the supply chain seems to be borked.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if Sony's production is so low because they are using the PS5 hardware for Spartacus. I mean, they have to right? They have a streaming platform advertising PS5 games launching in a few months.
Possible. We know ms did that at the beginning of the gen

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

PS5 uses bigger, more expensive chips than the Switch. It's the same reason why the Series S has been readily available for months, while the Series X was as rare as chicken teeth until fairly recently.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

PS5 uses bigger and newer tech, while the Switch does not.

Sony is fighting with Intel, Nvidia, Apple, AMD, MS, phone and car manufacturers for these chips.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 uses bigger, more expensive chips than the Switch. It's the same reason why the Series S has been readily available for months, while the Series X was as rare as chicken teeth until fairly recently.
Right, repeat after me

This isn't about TSMC.

That node was turning out chips for 10s of millions of phones *per month*. That's all gone now as Qualcomm and Apple no longer use 7nm for their mainline chips.

This is all about ICs.

There's going to be a production line of APUs for Series X, S and PS5 all ready to go, but if you can't get the ICs and the other stuff on a motherboard? You ain't making anything.

Sony have the chips most likely, but they damn well haven't got the ability to make the rest. Microsoft had the opposite issue. They made a compact motherboard with less fiddly stuff to worry about. They also ordered less chips which hurt them to begin with.

Now they don't have that issue and clearly are ahead with rest of production.

While TSMC sort themselves out, the rest of the silicon industry is still unable to produce the 32nm+ chips used for microcontrollers on these boards etc and automotive will tell you that's still absolutely crippling.

Production is now limited by full manufacturing issues, not the sexy APU. This is why the turns have tabled recently.

Oct 27, 2017
I've read in a few places that Microsoft is paying for what is deemed as chip priority. Who knows specifically though.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
The reality is that PS5 is severely suffering from supply problems but it is always funny to see the strong and sudden need of using it to justify Xbox is selling more units, like an alien and even undesirable phenomenon that is currently happening.

Users in here literally saying people are buying Xbox consoles simply because they are available, not because people want them. I dont spend 300 or 500 bucks for that reason my man.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
2020 was a bad year to launch consoles and they should have delayed to build up stock.

Prove Me Wrong.

From my perspective, it looks like Sony banked a bit too hard on winning a game of chicken with Microsoft by trying to push out the PS5 in the middle of computer component manufacturing shortfalls.

Users in here literally saying people are buying Xbox consoles simply because they are available, not because people want them. I dont spend 300 or 500 bucks for that reason my man.

How are they wrong though? I can consistently find Series S and X's on store shelves, with those spots being empty roughly every other time which means that they're selling and getting restocked, and then selling again.

Microsoft is able to meet demand, Sony is only able to reach Superfans who have the time/money to obsessively follow tracking sites and pay premiums to get the chance to buy a PS5.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Right, repeat after me

This isn't about TSMC.

That node was turning out chips for 10s of millions of phones *per month*. That's all gone now as Qualcomm and Apple no longer use 7nm for their mainline chips.

This is all about ICs.

There's going to be a production line of APUs for Series X, S and PS5 all ready to go, but if you can't get the ICs and the other stuff on a motherboard? You ain't making anything.

Sony have the chips most likely, but they damn well haven't got the ability to make the rest. Microsoft had the opposite issue. They made a compact motherboard with less fiddly stuff to worry about. They also ordered less chips which hurt them to begin with.

Now they don't have that issue and clearly are ahead with rest of production.

While TSMC sort themselves out, the rest of the silicon industry is still unable to produce the 32nm+ chips used for microcontrollers on these boards etc and automotive will tell you that's still absolutely crippling.

Production is now limited by full manufacturing issues, not the sexy APU. This is why the turns have tabled recently.
I wish I knew enough about tech to comprehend more than 50% of what you just said. Haha

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
2020 was a bad year to launch consoles and they should have delayed to build up stock.

Prove Me Wrong.

From my perspective, it looks like Sony banked a bit too hard on winning a game of chicken with Microsoft by trying to push out the PS5 in the middle of computer component manufacturing shortfalls.

I don't think Sony or MS could have predict that there would be a component manufacturing shortage when they released their consoles late 2020