• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
There was no firm release date announced at the Kingdom Hearts 3 Premiere event, but Nomura's official statement was that an announcement should be coming "early next month," so, probably just before E3. Nomura continued, "Kingdom Hearts 3 is a title with many people working on it, so we are making final adjustments, but we are pretty firm on a certain date so we hope to reveal it next month." And as far as we can tell, they're sticking with a 2018 window, so if we were to guess, we'd say a November release date is looking fairly likely at this point.

No doubt Eurogamers claim of "just before E3" refers to the Los Angeles concert event which takes place on June 9th! Hopefully attendees at the concert will be treated to the release date.

Also, to those of you who think they wouldn't do this at a concert, friendly reminder where we got our story trailer from last year on June 10:

Also this event takes place two days before Square Enix's E3 conference, so we could potentially get TWO trailers during June if shown at both events.
Source: https://www.khinsider.com/news/King...-Date-Should-Be-Coming-Early-Next-Month-11951

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I've never played Kingdom Hearts. What should I begin with to undersand the full story and context?
Play all 10 games/movies (that wasn't a typo) in release order in 1.5 + 2.5 and 2.8. Alternatively, if you don't have time for that, you can watch a recap of the full Kingdom Hearts timeline on YouTube.

crash-14

Oct 27, 2017
Square it's holding an E3 press conference early june. Why would they announce that in a exclusive concert?

Eurogamer girl fucked up.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm expecting it to be November but my dream is that it comes out in October around the time of my birthday.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
November or December with potential delay to Early 2019. That's my guess.

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so sick of the "did you expect us to just give you the release date for a game that's been in development for the better part of the decade? well, too bad, have another teaser, teehee" farce.

To add to this skip chain of memories tbh

Don't do this unless you are there strictly for the gameplay. It might not be the funnest game around, but you'll be hopelessly lost in 2's story otherwise.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Square it's holding an E3 press conference early june. Why would they announce that in a exclusive concert?

Eurogamer girl fucked up.
As pointed out in the OP, they could have two trailers (one for orchestra and one for E3) as Square Enix said they want to reveal every world in the game before the game releases. This would be a KH blowout and essentially be two world reveals in one month.

Release date would theoretically be in both trailers.

We got a story trailer at the last LA orchestra concert last year and it was uploaded to YouTube right after it was shown there (and at the end of the orchestra trailer was a teaser saying to watch D23 for a new world review, could be similar but for E3).

Jake2byFour

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so sick of the "did you expect us to just give you the release date for a game that's been in development for the better part of the decade? well, too bad, have another teaser, teehee" farce.

Don't do this unless you are there strictly for the gameplay. It might not be the funnest game around, but you'll be hopelessly lost in 2's story otherwise.

At least watch the cutscene or something. I couldn't stand the gameplay, but I quite like the story of CoM and it provides a lot of context for certain characters.
Yea i didn't mean skip the game entirely. It might be best to watch a youtube vid because the gameplay might not be to everyones liking. Should have made that clearer.

crash-14

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played Kingdom Hearts. What should I begin with to undersand the full story and context?

Grab the collections play them in launch order. Chain of Memories it's not your traditional KH experience, some people love the card base gameplay, others (like me) hate it.

Keep in mind your setting yourself to a 20-40h per game trip. The structure of the games (based on worlds) help it to feel fresh, but what I'm trying to say it's that you won't be set in 2 weeks.

If you don't want to fully comprehend every aspect of KH universe, then you can just play KH2, BBS, DDD and 0.2 to be set for 3 (Story and gameplay wise).

There's a new timeline that explains the entries up to date and the lore of the franchise games https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLhcSrKyqhfh5USKgcHjwTjeVbngw7Y0pr&v=4eRniOT6_5c

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Grab the collections play them in launch order. Chain of Memories it's not your traditional KH experience, some people love the card base gameplay, others (like me) hate it.

Keep in mind your setting yourself to a 20-40h per game trip. The structure of the games (based on worlds) help it to feel fresh, but what I'm trying to say it's that you won't be set in 2 weeks.

If you don't want to fully comprehend every aspect of KH universe, then you can just play KH2, BBS, DDD and 0.2 to be set for 3 (Story and gameplay wise).

There's a new timeline that explains the entries up to date and the lore of the franchise games https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLhcSrKyqhfh5USKgcHjwTjeVbngw7Y0pr&v=4eRniOT6_5c
I think this is better.
Simply because it only tells you what you need to know for KH3 (important plot details and events) and it's 36 minutes long total while the thing you sent is a playlist of many many 30 minute videos and most people won't be willing to watch that.

crash-14

Oct 27, 2017
As pointed out in the OP, they could have two trailers (one for orchestra and one for E3) as Square Enix said they want to reveal every world in the game before the game releases. This would be a KH blowout and essentially be two world reveals in one month.

Release date would theoretically be in both trailers.

We got a story trailer at the last LA orchestra concert last year and it was uploaded to YouTube right after it was shown there (and at the end of the orchestra trailer was a teaser saying to watch D23 for a new world review, could be similar but for E3).

They won't have 2 trailers. The orchestra thing was an exception due them passing E3 to be at D23 (which was a month later).

They're attending E3 this year, so it won't happen twice (And in that little spawn time).

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Probably a youtube video, if you want to play them then KH 1,5+2,5 remix.

Kh 1.5 + 2.5 collection on ps4 and then the 2.8 collection, and you'll have everything you need.

Play all 10 games/movies (that wasn't a typo) in release order in 1.5 + 2.5 and 2.8. Alternatively, if you don't have time for that, you can watch a recap of the full Kingdom Hearts timeline on YouTube.

I asked this in the other thread too, but are they actually worth playing from a gameplay and story standpoint these days?

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
I'll just quote myself from the other thread:

Actually, it's not as bad as you may think. Both PS4 collections only have 5 older games to play + 2 older games converted into movies + 1 new movie using Unreal Engine (PS4 graphics) + the PS4 prologue to KH3 using the new engine as well.

I mean, it's hard to play the older games sometimes, so it's totally ok if you prefer to just watch it all on Youtube.

Having said that, I played through all the games in the collection in less than 2 months I believe. There is plenty of time if you rather go ahead and play the collections on PS4.

My SO is currently playing them all for the first time. He only skipped/youtubed Re:Chain of Memories but the rest were ok. He is currently playing Birth by Sleep.

So, there are 2 collections for PS4:

1) KH1.5+2.5:

KH1
KH Re:Chain of Memories
KH 358/2 Days - (Only Cutscenes/Movie included)
KH2
KH Birth by Sleep
KH Re:Coded (Only Cutscenes/Movie included)

2) KH2.8:

KH Dream Drop Distance
KH 0.2 (2hrs prologue to KH3 - Made for PS4)
KH X Back Cover (Movie - Using PS4 engine)

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Even though Square says they want to reveal every world, I can't shake the feeling that they're going to leave one as a surprise. A smaller title like Treasure Planet or Emperor's New Groove.

November date is solid.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Even though Square says they want to reveal every world, I can't shake the feeling that they're going to leave one as a surprise. A smaller title like Treasure Planet or Emperor's New Groove.

November date is solid.
Seriously doubt it. Square Enix has filled trailers before with major story spoilers when it comes to Kingdom Hearts so I'm sure they'll spoil every world.

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the consensus is near the end of the year, which sounds about right.

Oct 27, 2017
yeah that's what I'm thinking too.

November 29 (Like FFXV) or Early December.
Absolutely. I expect it to release November 30th (or earlier that week on Nov 27) directly matching the week FFXV launched on. It gives it room away from other earlier autumn/fall titles and was a lucrative slot for FFXV. It also give them just under half a year to continue optimising and finalising before release.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What should i play? Imo

Lots of time: Kingdom hearts 1.5+2.5 and Kingdom hearts 2.8
Some time: Kingdom hearts 1 + Read about chain of Memories then play Kingdom hearts 2 + Kingdom hearts birth by sleep + watch the movies and summary videos
Little time: read about Kingdom hearts 1 and chain of Memories play Kingdom hearts 2 + watch movies and YouTube summary
No time: YouTube summary

It lacks 0.2 and Kingdom hearts x movie in this one, But Its great, made by the easy allies when they were gametrailers

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I asked this in the other thread too, but are they actually worth playing from a gameplay and story standpoint these days?
1,2, Birth By sleep and dream drop are all worth playing from a gameplay standpoint imo. Of those, 2 is clearly the best and, at least on critical, is among my favorites of the genre.

R/EMH/A

Alt account
Banned
May 15, 2018
Absolutely. I expect it to release November 30th (or earlier that week on Nov 27) directly matching the week FFXV launched on. It gives it room away from other earlier autumn/fall titles and was a lucrative slot for FFXV. It also give them just under half a year to continue optimising and finalising before release.

I think November 29 is that sweet spot. directly after Thanksgiving and Black Friday. it's just a good time to release because there's nothing else happening after that. that's why FFXV really benefited from that release date. I could definitely see it earlier but that just seems like the perfect place to put it for the best results.

+ it gives them more time to promote from the release date reveal so the marketing campaign can go all out.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Expect another snazzy trailer and some new details to smooth over the 2019 release date.

Status
Not open for further replies.