• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I always wonder what do single people do in the burbs.

I get families, especially when kids are young. Better schools, more space.

But if you're single and want a social life. Sounds awful.

You do everything at home. Cook your meals, workout at home, TV/movies and games. For social events nothing beats hosting a potluck and playing board games and video games and just talking. Trying to do that at a venue like a bar/game pub is awful, commuting there, getting the table reserved, the noise, the lighting, and honestly the food is awful at most places compared to friends that are experienced cooks. Not to mention expensive - line cook prepared sliders and chicken tenders or microwaved pita bread and hummus with a table reserved at say Vigilante in Austin with a proper tip is like $75 per person. Potluck you can make a feast of chef quality stuff for $25/person.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

If you're young and single and want a social life, you probably don't live in the burbs unless you live with your parents.

I'm single but I'm not that social, and only do stuff on the weekend with friends. So its not hard for everyone to meet up at someones house and hang out there, or we all get in one or two cars and drive somewhere. Or if its a bar we call an uber.

For me the pros of the suburbs outweigh the cons.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Yeah, growing pains. Better than wood, which is what they used to burn and is way worse.

I'm a huge nuclear fan but the tree hunger types destroyed it in the US.

I feel like fission is hit on all sides, idealist leftists that are fixated on storing the waste and the few major events that resulted in safer modern reactors, and Nimbyism from suburbanites. When in reality it is super safe and until batteries are cheap and have no environmental impact like using carbon based graphene instead of toxic rare earth metals, we need fission to eliminate green house emissions.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

It's abysmal, especially in a city that is not only spread out, but as spread out as the Houston metro area.

If you're young and single and want a social life, you probably don't live in the burbs unless you live with your parents.

You do when you realize living in the city is more expensive and commuting to work costs time and money. I hate the suburbs, but I love living 7 minutes from the school I teach at (because, again... I fucking hate driving).

My social life is non-existent though and with me starting grad school next year that ain't changing any time soon.

Oct 27, 2017
I just want sidewalks damnit. I'm less than two miles outside of a nice walkable town and would love to ride a bike to it, but the road we're on is narrow and 45 mph. There's no way to get to the little town without risking your life unless you drive. So close to perfection. That, and light rail into Philly would be great.
This is us. We live in Eastown TWP and the main roads have sidewalks but none of the secondary roads do. It really sucks

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Here's the thing: even if you are convinced against all facts and reason that walkability and density cannot exist in America because it's too big or whatever (just insane, absolutely fucking crazy talk,) WE CANNOT EVEN TRY. It's illegal to build anything but single family homes in the vast majority of American suburbs, and even in many parts of major American cities. Can't build duplexes. Small condo buildings are right out. A grocery store at the bottom of apartments? May as well be a UFO.

All you folks who love the burbs and yards and crickets, none of that goes away in the next 100 years. You will have a 4 bedroom on tenth of an acre within driving distance of whatever city your job is in. No one is being forced into the pod to eat bugs. The dominant American lifestyle for at least another generation is a single family home connected to retail and commerce by the highway. Even if tomorrow exclusionary zoning were wiped away by magic, the changes are going to take decades and not going to affect every community nearly the same.

All that we're asking for is a chance. Just a chance. Take off the shackles! Let the marketplace of ideas do it's thing!
Now here's a good post

Oct 25, 2017
This is us. We live in Eastown TWP and the main roads have sidewalks but none of the secondary roads do. It really sucks

Small world....That's where I grew up, and I know the struggle if you are on some of the bigger back roads. At least you have the R5. I'm outside of West Chester, stuck halfway between the R5 through the Main Line, and the R3 through Media/Route 1.

Oct 27, 2017
Small world....That's where I grew up, and I know the struggle if you are on some of the bigger back roads. At least you have the R5. I'm outside of West Chester, stuck halfway between the R5 through the Main Line, and the R3 through Media/Route 1.
Haha nice!
It's a good area and we really like it for the most part (great schools, good restaurants finally popping up, close to Wayne). And yes, the R5 is convenient even though neither of us work in the city we usually take it when we go in. We do walk to the Devon Horse show every year though

West Chester is fantastic. About 20 years ago we strongly considered moving there, found an amazing older home on a quiet side street in the Borough, 5 minute walk into downtown. It was just out of our price range and needed some work. My wife and I still drive by it whenever we're in town and think about what could have been.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I grew up in the typical US suburb where the only commercial area in walking distance was the supermarket strip mall with a Blockbuster video (now an asian massage parlor by the looks of it), nail salon, Subway and a pizza joint. Other than that just nothing but houses and schools. After just about 13 years living in Japan you couldn't get me to move back to that.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's totally fine if you prefer the suburban life. Just know that no amount of electric cars and green energy is ever gonna solve the fundamental problem with suburban development in terms of energy consumption, as you'll always have to build more infrastructures and people buy more stuff to fill their gigantic mansions. So enjoy while it lasts.

Enjoy what while it lasts? I what world is suburban or rural living ever going to not be there in US?

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't make any of these laws, I'm just going to do what's best for me because that's we all have to do in the U S of A, for better or worse. I donate a lot and never look down on anyone. That's all I really have the power to do.

I can't live in some fantasy world where things should be one way but aren't.

thankfully and due to lifestyle I'm extremely healthy and rely very little on any healthcare.

and you can pry my sports car away from cold dead hands.

edit: and the only reason I have to go to NYC is to occasionally visit friends or go to MSG
Well yeah, you can dismiss a lot of criticism of privileges by saying we're just doing what's best for ourselves and we didn't build those structures we benefit from. I don't expect you to dedicate your entire life to zoning reform, especially since the negatives don't impact you directly

But you could check if there are zoning reform candidates up for Selectman or your zoning board next election

lazerface

Banned
Feb 23, 2020
Sorry, I like to be able to have a garden, chickens, a yard to relax in and still have a walkable 'towns' 10 minute drive away. It's the best of both worlds
110% I love my garden, my fire pit and grill. 10 minutes away I have large grocery stores, shopping and restaurants. 30 minutes away I have access to downtown metro.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
North American suburbs could be so much better than they are.

This guy offers some suggestions as to how we can make our suburbs more engaging.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Enjoy what while it lasts? I what world is suburban or rural living ever going to not be there in US?

In a world of climate catastrophes and societal turmoil that comes with that? Like I said, suburban lifestyle is fundamentally incompatible with what we need to do to solve the climate crisis, as it is wholely dependent on fossil fuel for the raw materials, transportation, and construction. If we are determined to keep living like this, we may as well just give up pretending that we care about the future and enjoy it while it lasts.

ajoshi

Sep 11, 2021
I move between S Kor and US every few years for work and the concerns have more or less been covered by everyone in the topic, but yea... it's really a doozy every time I come back to US. Need a car to do x y z, convenience is 5m drive away, stores are 5-10m, everything is driving distance. In a way it dissuades me from going out much except for occasions.

Whereas much of E. Asia is like the Western downtown experience, walk out your door and a good chunk of commercial necessities and comforts will be in walking distance. People obviously have cars but it's not like this thing you absolutely have to have to survive and get to work and do shit.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

Yeah I don't get this take like at all. There would be substantially more harm done to the environment rebuilding up and throwing out the 100+ million homes already built, especially with the technology we have now. It's similar to the disdain of large vehicles even after they're 100% renewable.

Pure idealism, should focus on 100% renewable now, replacing coal and natural gas with fission, voting for subsidies to get us there faster. We should also gradually build up a much better funded NASA like entity to research, engineer, and deploy climate reversal techs over the next millenia because it's no longer about our generation and the next few it's about humanity's survival. We should create waste water and fresh sustainable, systems for the rest of the world. We should engineer massive salt water and freshwater seas in arid basins to shift climate naturally, generate electricity, and provide fresh water.

Oct 25, 2017
Haha nice!
It's a good area and we really like it for the most part (great schools, good restaurants finally popping up, close to Wayne). And yes, the R5 is convenient even though neither of us work in the city we usually take it when we go in. We do walk to the Devon Horse show every year though

West Chester is fantastic. About 20 years ago we strongly considered moving there, found an amazing older home on a quiet side street in the Borough, 5 minute walk into downtown. It was just out of our price range and needed some work. My wife and I still drive by it whenever we're in town and think about what could have been.

The Devon Horse Show is awesome. That whole area really is great (except the traffic on 30...it seems to get worse every year). We do love West Chester even if we live a bit outside of the Borough (East Goshen). #49 on the top 100 Best Places to Live this year, and interestingly, the smallest population on the list.

edit...had last year's list

livability.com

West Chester, PA Ranked #49 Best Place to Live in 2021 | Livability

Home to just 20,000 people, West Chester, PA is a charming, historic borough located about an hour from downtown Philadelphia. This college town is

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, you can dismiss a lot of criticism of privileges by saying we're just doing what's best for ourselves and we didn't build those structures we benefit from. I don't expect you to dedicate your entire life to zoning reform, especially since the negatives don't impact you directly

But you could check if there are zoning reform candidates up for Selectman or your zoning board next election
I'm all for it. I haven't and definitely won't ever vote to support politicians that are actively against it.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Yeah I don't get this take like at all. There would be substantially more harm done to the environment rebuilding up and throwing out the 100+ million homes already built, especially with the technology we have now. It's similar to the disdain of large vehicles even after they're 100% renewable.

Pure idealism, should focus on 100% renewable now, replacing coal and natural gas with fission, voting for subsidies to get us there faster. We should also gradually build up a much better funded NASA like entity to research, engineer, and deploy climate reversal techs over the next millenia because it's no longer about our generation and the next few it's about humanity's survival. We should create waste water and fresh sustainable, systems for the rest of the world. We should engineer massive salt water and freshwater seas in arid basins to shift climate naturally, generate electricity, and provide fresh water.

Of course it's not realistic to destroy all existing suburbs, but it's not like all these cheaply built wood frame houses are going to last forever. It's about changing zoning laws to allow denser development and set policies that incentivize people to move back to urban centers. Keeping things as is means that we still have to maintain the massive suburban infrastructure, which is energy intensive and dependent on fossil fuel. And I think shifting the real estate development priorities is probably a more realistic goal than waiting for NASA to develop some magical future technology.

eZn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
youtu.be

Suburbs that don't Suck - Streetcar Suburbs (Riverdale, Toronto)

Watch this video ad-free on Nebula: https://nebula.tv/videos/not-just-bikes-suburbs-that-don-t-suck-streetcar-suburbs-riverdale-torontoCar-dependent suburbs ...

This whole YouTube channel is great. Lots of good videos on suburbs, stroads, shitty city design. Would recommend if you hate American suburbs.

Edit: see someone else already posted. My mistake. Still an excellent YouTube channel..

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Of course it's not realistic to destroy all existing suburbs, but it's not like all these cheaply built wood frame houses are going to last forever. It's about changing zoning laws to allow denser development and set policies that incentivize people to move back to urban centers. Keeping things as is means that we still have to maintain the massive suburban infrastructure, which is energy intensive and dependent on fossil fuel. And I think shifting the real estate development priorities is probably a more realistic goal than waiting for NASA to develop some magical future technology.

There are a lot people who don't want to move close to people. And even if you change zoning, millions are still going to keep their land and their houses as they are. Like I said, in what world does that go away? It doesn't.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

I have no opposition to changing the zoning (lol autocorrect said coming) laws. But that isn't a solution to climate changes if all of the technologies are net 0 emissions, it doesn't matter if they're in suburbs or urban areas for wealthy areas. They will continue to exist.

And even if we did do all urban cities with 0 emissions, what I'm talking about is neither magical nor optional. The vast majority of Earth will be uninhabitable in 200 years even if we stop all emissions today. It's locked in. We're pretty sure the North Atlantic current will stop, making northeast NA and northern Europe uninhabitable. The west coast of the US is probably going to be uninhabitable. The deserts of Africa, Australia, southwest US, middle east and Asia will expand significantly. Large coastal urban areas like Miami and New Orleans will be lost. This will happen, we can't stop it. We must reverse by leveraging the natural processes of earth to our advantage. Routing sea water into arid basins generates massive amounts of hydro power from gravity, it cools the land, and evaporates shifting the climate towards a semi temperate grassland and forests. We can irrigate the desalinated water to provide it to the masses and grow bio engineered forests which captures carbon and further retains water in the soil. Whether or not we put together a government program to do this or if we wait until there's real money as people are dieing in a cyberpunk distopia, it must happen or people will die.

The real struggle of the next millenia isn't efficient cities it's mass death from lack of water, food and survivable land.

The Eastern US will continue to be wealthy and have plenty of water.

Last edited:

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I live in the suburbs of the Bay Area and it's fine for me. Yeah I need a car, but that's pretty much the reality of the entire state unless you live in SF.

Going to Japan definitely blew me away in terms of how well the urban planning is. Train stations, malls, corporate buildings, everything is planned so we'll. You can walk and take public transit literally anywhere on the country. It's incredible. I remember being quite sad coming back to the bay area after 2 weeks in Japan and riding BART lol. Just complete trash.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
youtu.be

Watch this video ad-free on Nebula: https://nebula.tv/videos/not-just-bikes-suburbs-that-don-t-suck-streetcar-suburbs-riverdale-torontoCar-dependent suburbs ...

This whole YouTube channel is great. Lots of good videos on suburbs, stroads, shitty city design. Would recommend if you hate American suburbs.
This is a good video but it misses the point, which is that the 'shitty design' is intentional. Building places for cars is the biggest car industry subsidization program in the history of the US and the model was exported to the anglosphere. The video wants to believe that we can choose to build less car-reliant suburbs, and this is true, we 'can', but no one wants to because car suburbs = money = votes.

The flat and spacious design is intentional. It's not a matter of engineering ability, but political will.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
Meh,I grew up in a city and couldn't wait to move to the burbs. There was little benefit to living in the city. Public transportation, a closer farmer's market, and cheaper gas was about it.

I lived just as far away from the supermarket as I do now. Public transportation sucks now, but it still exist if I had to use it. Having a car was better for city life too, but the traffic was far worse in the city. Parking is much easier outside of the city. The city didn't have any decent jobs for someone that went to school for IT like me, so again I needed the car. I had to drive 40 minutes to work then and now. Without the car I would have to wake up 2 and half hours before work to use public transportation to get to my job on time, maybe.

In the burgs it's not nearly as noisy and I have ton more space. I can still walk to the shopping center in my area and it's actually a shorter walk than any spot I stayed at in the city. There are actually sidewalks on I can use as well as a path through the wilderness to get to the shopping center.

I hate the layout of the burgs but I love that it's not as run down as the city got .

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
youtu.be

Edit: see someone else already posted. My mistake. Still an excellent YouTube channel..

Toronto is an example of how to do it mostly right. Nothing is perfect, but it's pretty darn close. "Inner suburbs" as they call it, though significant bike infrastructure still lacking. Very walkable though with lots of (crowded) buses.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I read about this "no sidewalk" thing on reset sometimes but I have to say I've very seldom seen it. Is this mostly in shitty states?

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I read about this "no sidewalk" thing on reset sometimes but I have to say I've very seldom seen it. Is this mostly in shitty states?
Eh, its mostly in very particular types of developments. I've spent years living in both Minneapolis and Chicago, both of which in their core have very well built out walking and transit infrastructure, and both of which have a lot of a particular type of big-box mall and single-business parcel lot structure out in the suburbs where its not uncommon to not have sidewalks

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I live in the suburbs and don't drive a car, but it leads to stupid ass situations like me being on a bus for three hours (both ways total, to get there was an hour and a half) to get breakfast at an IHop with my partner (who lives 30 minutes away from me by car, but the place we met at was more like 15-20 minutes away) yesterday lol.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good video but it misses the point, which is that the 'shitty design' is intentional. Building places for cars is the biggest car industry subsidization program in the history of the US and the model was exported to the anglosphere. The video wants to believe that we can choose to build less car-reliant suburbs, and this is true, we 'can', but no one wants to because car suburbs = money = votes.

The flat and spacious design is intentional. It's not a matter of engineering ability, but political will.
100% this

Oct 25, 2017

Sure...most developments have sidewalks, but you have to get from the development to the nearest town. That's miles and miles of road that was probably a country road a few decades ago. Who's going to build 10 miles of sidewalk just to connect a development to a town?

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I lived in an old Suburb of a major city. I could walk 5 mins to a train station and be downtown in the city in like 35 minutes. The train was above streets or below ground, never in traffic. I think the longest walk to the train from any point in the suburb was 15 mins at most. There was a little downtown with a ton of stores, restaurants, etc. I lived in a multi unit building and there were also lots of reasonably sized single family homes with yards, access to parks, and tons to do. It had pretty much everything.

Then I moved in to help relatives for 2 months in their subdivision in a newer city and suburb where you can't even safely walk to the walmart and starbucks that are literally 1/4 mile away. One of my relatives was so proud of the giant subdivisions going up. I hated having to drive everywhere for everything. Forgot to pick up a grocery item? Someone goes off in the car and comes back 30 mins later. Want to go for a walk? Load up in the car and drive 15 minutes to a park. Want to go downtown to a museum? 1+ hr in 6 lane traffic. It was awful.

Why must we do this? We used to do it well.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I hate that it's come to this, but I think that I'm going to have to move to the suburbs. I've lived in downtown Louisville since moving here and I've been the victim of so much property crime that I can't afford to keep living here.

Six weeks ago, my wife and I woke up and found that both of our cars had been stolen, which would be the third and fourth cars we've had stolen in four years.

We went outside yesterday and there was a guy with a handheld saw removing catalytic converters from cars parked on the street, until we chased him off.

I've had my windows busted out about six times, I've had a dozen lawnmowers stolen, and two grills.

My kids can't play outside because there are needles and broken glass bottles in the yard a few times a week.

I came home from work one day and there was a guy on my porch, peeing directly onto my house.

We have a homeless camp in our literal backyard, which ok live and let live but they pee and poop on the ground and one guy bathes in my kids' inflatable pool (which we'd asked him to stop doing but stopped intervening because his need to bathe exceeds my kids' need for a pool).

We have rats that have chewed holes into every wall in the building and exterminators said they can't get rid of them unless the camp is removed, so we have rats non-stop (they come out and chase the dogs, they're kind of cute except they chew holes in everything and poop on everything and we all have bubonic plague maybe).

We've been burglarized three times, one of the defendants' mom, who was our next door neighbor, told us to our face at the hearing that really if we didn't want our home broken in to we shouldn't own things worth stealing in the first place, and it was literally our fault.

Suburbs blow ass and I don't want to commute and I love being near things, but like this shit sucks. Less dense populations mean less people to do these things, even if the per capita number of crimes stayed the same, the smaller number of crimes means less crimes.
Wtf is this a joke. Why has it taken. You so long to consider moving away. That's a hell situation

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We can't even fix our roads, there's no way we're going to be redesigning cities or fixing the car reliability in suburbs.

I can't imagine an America that builds/updates things at all.

Our bridges will literally crumble before our eyes and we'll just go "That sucks."

Fiddler

Oct 27, 2017
As a german always when i see american cities and suburbs i can't help but think who wants to live there? Who votes for such shitty planing? It's totally car dependent, it's economically unsustainable, it's dangerous and it's ugly. I live in a 30k suburb in an apartment, it's quiet because there is next to zero car dependency, cars are loud not cities. In 5 min walking distance in different directions i have two grocerie stores, several pubs and restaurants, fields and small forests. It takes me 20 min by bus or 10 min by train which is also in walking distance to get to the heart of the city. The inner city is pretty much car free. I don't need a car since i can get pretty much get everywhere within 30 minutes by bike or public transit. The city where i live wasn't always like that, in fact it was very much car dependant but in the last 30 years they overhauled the city/suburbs and infrastructure in between because they realized how bad the design was and changed it.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Sure...most developments have sidewalks, but you have to get from the development to the nearest town. That's miles and miles of road that was probably a country road a few decades ago. Who's going to build 10 miles of sidewalk just to connect a development to a town?
Oh you guys are talking about highways? Yea I never thought about it like that, it would be cool if more highways had sidewalks.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I work at a major resort tucked in a sizeable suburban area along a major road in between two malls, a three minute drive from the largest airport in the state, and just 5-10 minutes from casinos in either direction.

The entirety of one side of this road for two and a half miles has no sidewalk. If someone wanted to walk from the first mall to the western suburban community over two miles away withou, they'd have to sit through three traffic lights and cross the street just as many times if they didn't want to cut through dirt paths.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a german always when i see american cities and suburbs i can't help but think who wants to live there? Who votes for such shitty planing? It's totally car dependent, it's economically unsustainable, it's dangerous and it's ugly. I live in a 30k suburb in an apartment, it's quiet because there is next to zero car dependency, cars are loud not cities. In 5 min walking distance in different directions i have two grocerie stores, several pubs and restaurants, fields and small forests. It takes me 20 min by bus or 10 min by train which is also in walking distance to get to the heart of the city. The inner city is pretty much car free. I don't need a car since i can get pretty much get everywhere within 30 minutes by bike or public transit. The city where i live wasn't always like that, in fact it was very much car dependant but in the last 30 years they overhauled the city/suburbs and infrastructure in between because they realized how bad the design was and changed it.
A lot of people like cars. Also distance between each other is enjoyable for those I know who like the suburbs. Also you get a lot of space to raise a family.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh you guys are talking about highways? Yea I never thought about it like that, it would be cool if more highways had sidewalks.

Not even highways. Literally 2 lane, tree and house lined country roads. Check out the pictures on the listing here:

www.trulia.com

1607 E Strasburg Rd #2, West Chester, PA 19380 | Trulia

1607 E Strasburg Rd #2, West Chester, PA 19380 is a 1,200 sqft, 2 bed, 1 bath home. See the estimate, review home details, and search for homes nearby.

A road like this may have a development every half mile or so creating a ton of vehicle use, with no room for a sidewalk without cutting down tons of trees and pissing off old people who don't want a sidewalk in their front yard.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I mean...I'm just telling you how this nation works. No one is gonna give up their cars.
Sure, but also people didn't love their cars in the same way before all these highways and suburbs got built in the first place. Planning can drive preference, much like the induced demand problem in highway construction, people adapt to the living and transportation options that are provided. A conscious choice, at a high level, to prioritize dense construction and transit options, can shift patterns in how some swathe of people live

Fiddler

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people like cars. Also distance between each other is enjoyable for those I know who like the suburbs. Also you get a lot of space to raise a family.

And you can like cars and still plan an economically healthy suburb, which the american suburbs are not as several studies point out, that is not car dependant and spacious. The planning in the US is just not smart and only accomodates to very few life styles. My apartment building is next to several single family homes with big yards and a playstreet in between them.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Not even highways. Literally 2 lane, tree and house lined country roads. Check out the pictures on the listing here:

www.trulia.com

1607 E Strasburg Rd #2, West Chester, PA 19380 | Trulia

1607 E Strasburg Rd #2, West Chester, PA 19380 is a 1,200 sqft, 2 bed, 1 bath home. See the estimate, review home details, and search for homes nearby.

A road like this may have a development every half mile or so creating a ton of vehicle use, with no room for a sidewalk without cutting down tons of trees and pissing off old people who don't want a sidewalk in their front yard.
Damn, that's wild lol. That looks so bizarre to me, but I guess my grandparents house in NorCal had no sidewalks, just a big ass shoulder. They had no real town tho, just a grocery store and post office.