• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Turnbuckle

Oct 27, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
If they approve down to 5yo, I ight be tempted to "have a forgetful moment" when reporting his age at the CVS

Wonder of I can do the same for my 6yo. If he were a foot taller, had the right disguise, and kept quiet maybe? Jk but man, getting so stressed. Virtual isn't even an option for us as our school system had a deadline in May for parents to decide. We chose in-person back then and now we're locked into it.

Not that the program for the virtual option is any good... But still. Our kid is crazy smart and I worry a bad bout of Covid could screw his brain development. I mean, even if he were a dummy I'd be worried lol. Not really lol though :(

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
I just had to pull my 4 month old son out of daycare because someone tested positive for COVID. Super worried because it's only his 3rd week there and he had what we thought was a stomach bug. And now he has a cough. We've been trying to get a COVID test but apparently the days of drive testing being available anytime and anywhere are over. We are going to have to drive 30 minutes over to the next town to get him, my wife, and myself tested. Wife and I are vaccinated and supposedly kids are COVID-resistant but this is the first time I've felt anxious about the pandemic.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I just had to pull my 4 month old son out of daycare because someone tested positive for COVID. Super worried because it's only his 3rd week there and he had what we thought was a stomach bug. And now he has a cough. We've been trying to get a COVID test but apparently the days of drive testing being available anytime and anywhere are over. We are going to have to drive 30 minutes over to the next town to get him, my wife, and myself tested. Wife and I are vaccinated and supposedly kids are COVID-resistant but this is the first time I've felt anxious about the pandemic.

For an adolscent, call your pediatrician. Our daughter had a cold this summer and while a lot of the drive up ones aren't open anymore in MA, our doctor was able to get her a test same day, and it was one of those 15-min ones. Thankfully she was negative, and I'm hoping your son is too.

To ease your worries a little bit, every kid who goes to daycare ends up picking up an insane amount of bugs and viruses, colds and sniffles, the shits and the pukes, the whole gamut. When our daughter started 3 years ago it was like a never ending torrent of sniffles and colds, RSV, stomach bugs, the whole deal. Thankfully now at age 3 she's been exposed to so much there's some resilience there.

Good luck, hoping for the best

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
For an adolscent, call your pediatrician. Our daughter had a cold this summer and while a lot of the drive up ones aren't open anymore in MA, our doctor was able to get her a test same day, and it was one of those 15-min ones. Thankfully she was negative, and I'm hoping your son is too.

To ease your worries a little bit, every kid who goes to daycare ends up picking up an insane amount of bugs and viruses, colds and sniffles, the shits and the pukes, the whole gamut. When our daughter started 3 years ago it was like a never ending torrent of sniffles and colds, RSV, stomach bugs, the whole deal. Thankfully now at age 3 she's been exposed to so much there's some resilience there.

Good luck, hoping for the best

Unfortunately our pediatrician doesn't have the ability to set up tests anywhere since his office and group don't do them. But we've been calling up every urgent care on the area and finally found one a little closer. It's around an hour wait for walk-ins so we'll see what happens.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Where are you? Every CVS and RiteAid near me has drive up testing for free. They are getting a bit slow on the results though with the uptick in testing. Had a Rite Aid test on Monday evening with results yesterday, which is slower than normal. Had a CVS test yesterday, waiting on results.

In my area, once we moved to substantial, county run testing started again as well, but CVS was easy enough... although as i typed this out, i realized you said 4mo old, which all these places don't support.

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
Where are you? Every CVS and RiteAid near me has drive up testing for free. They are getting a bit slow on the results though with the uptick in testing. Had a Rite Aid test on Monday evening with results yesterday, which is slower than normal. Had a CVS test yesterday, waiting on results.

In my area, once we moved to substantial, county run testing started again as well, but CVS was easy enough... although as i typed this out, i realized you said 4mo old, which all these places don't support.

Yeah they don't support under 6 months and even then only a few CVS locations offer tests. Walgreens everywhere seem to offer tests but only on kids ages 3+

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Vaccine wall in MA is mostly holding with deaths and hospitalizations, similar to Vermont with it's Delta outbreak over the last month as well:

ZYTk4A.png

MA is at about 85% vaccination rate for adults, 73% for all ages. Our cases the last 5 days have still been about 1000/day but not growign as quickly as they did for the last 3-4 weeks. Since June 30, the day over day growth is at about 100/day or so. Hoping we're going to see this as a trend of levelling out and going back down.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Vaccine wall in MA is mostly holding with deaths and hospitalizations, similar to Vermont with it's Delta outbreak over the last month as well:

ZYTk4A.png

MA is at about 85% vaccination rate for adults, 73% for all ages. Our cases the last 5 days have still been about 1000/day but not growign as quickly as they did for the last 3-4 weeks. Since June 30, the day over day growth is at about 100/day or so. Hoping we're going to see this as a trend of levelling out and going back down.

we just had a pretty "big" spike in hospitalizations this week in VT. Still low, but it definitely bumped up

(3->12 hospitalizations and 1->8 in ICU)

Oct 27, 2017
Officially concerned now. Over 700 daily cases with almost 20 more hospitalizations in CT, and with 20000 tests not enough testing. So we're on the upswing here.

The governor signed an executive order last night letting towns do whatever they want when it comes to mandates. My town has already instituted a government employee mask and vax mandate since the xo was signed. People still want a statewide mandate because some towns will resist masks and such.

News on schools they're gonna drag out until later this month, seems like. This weekend is a little league regional torunament in Bristol, gonna draw lots of people in even though they limited the number of guests each team could have.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fully vaccinated with Pfizer, been feeling like crap the past 3 days, got a rapid and PCR done today, rapid came back negative, waiting for the PCR results most likely by Monday.

Oct 27, 2017
CT got the first state-wide mandate last night: nursing home workers must be vaccinated by September 7.

Thinking about all the initial damage done in nursing homes in the state, the continued porousness even after restrictions were in place, the near-avoidance of a statw-wide strike, and the rise of alpha and then delta, it's remarkable it took to this point to make it happen.

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
www.marketwatch.com

If your employer fires you because you won't get the COVID vaccine, don't expect to collect unemployment

'This could lead to tens of thousands of people across the United States without work or access to unemployment benefits because they refuse to get...

Each day more employers are telling employees they need to be vaccinated against COVID-19 to work in person or risk being fired.

On Thursday CNN revealed it had fired three unvaccinated employees for violating the company's vaccine requirement for in-person workers, according to an internal memo signed by Jeff Zucker, the cable network's president, and obtained by the New York Times.

Unlike millions of Americans who were laid off during the pandemic, the three former CNN employees likely won't qualify for unemployment benefits, employment law experts told MarketWatch.
CNN parent company WarnerMedia, a unit of AT&T T, +0.07%, declined to comment on the firings.
In most states, individuals have to prove they're out of work through no fault of their own to collect unemployment benefits.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+1476 new PCR cases (915267total)
+9 deaths (23926 total)

Total fully vaccinated 5349147
Rate of transmission is 1.36
638 people in hospitals
105 in ICU
50 on ventilators

Oct 26, 2017
California
So the new "argument" being promoted by some of my friends is "well, the CDC just admitted that the vaxx don't stop the spread, so why push it so much? I thought that was the point of the vaccine?"

I responded, "the thrust behind the vaccines has been to reduce hospitalization and mortality. They are doing a great job of that, if we're being intellectually honest."

I also added, "oh, and now we believe the CDC, eh?"

Help me, Era. What should I throw at them? These are people I care for, so just throwing them away isn't an option.

Oct 27, 2017
FYI CNN.com now has a summary article of lambda at the top of the home page as the lead article. It summarizes some of what was posted on Era over the past week, including some quick assessments by university medical professors: not a threat to the US currently, and the vaccines continue to work. Just in case people bring up the "misinformation" arguments again.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the new "argument" being promoted by some of my friends is "well, the CDC just admitted that the vaxx don't stop the spread, so why push it so much? I thought that was the point of the vaccine?"

I responded, "the thrust behind the vaccines has been to reduce hospitalization and mortality. They are doing a great job of that, if we're being intellectually honest."

Help me, Era. What should I throw at them? These are people I care for, so just throwing them away isn't an option.

On a side note.
Actually, I felt that the media and in part CDC did their part in spreading that "vaccine stop transmission", with headline faulty percentage and number taken out of context.

They should have stuck with the hospitalization part from the start.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Lucked out with an outbreak at my kids summer camp where a lot of kids ended up getting it with no symptoms (including mine, sitting at home for another 6 days until he's clear). Only reason it was found was because our neighbors were going to see grandparents and got tested before they left just in case. I think it's up to 10 kids now, all no symptoms. He was supposed to go to a basketball camp this week but we got alerted before it started and he never went… I can't imagine how easy this will rip through schools with all the asymptomatic cases until it hits someone with a worse outcome.

me and my wife are both vaccinated and so far still negative.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Of course...never in my life have I considered doing anything except being an educator but I did plenty of times last year and I'm feeling it again. Kinda too late for me to go down a different path. Too many parents who have no interest in protecting their kid's teachers. That's nothing new but couple that with a pandemic...
I have no idea how medical personnel have been able to keep up with the burden this has been on them.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
Of course...never in my life have I considered doing anything except being an educator but I did plenty of times last year and I'm feeling it again. Kinda too late for me to go down a different path. Too many parents who have no interest in protecting their kid's teachers. That's nothing new but couple that with a pandemic...
I have no idea how medical personnel have been able to keep up with the burden this has been on them.

Unless you have really strict measures in your school, all you can do yourself is invest in good N95/FFP2 masks and hope for the best basically. I am already assuming you are vaccinated. Some teachers i know personally make it a point to ventilate the air in their room every half hour to keep it from accumulating too many pathogens. Unfortunately, not all schools have the right window setup to be able to do this.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

TBH ask them to talk to their personal doctor. you're not going to convince them with logic. that's not how it works. family members, close friends, spiritual leaders they know and personal doctors are the best to talk.

and please say these conversations aren't happening in group chats. that's never gonna work.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting illustration of how Covid affects the lungs in vaccinated and unvaccinated patients:
www.10news.com

COVID lung X-rays of San Diego patients show 'remarkable' impact of vaccines

COVID lung X-rays from San Diego patients show 'remarkable' impact of vaccines
I'm not sure using 2 anecdotal accounts in the same city is proof of much other than 1 person was sicker than the other.

however, I think something like this done on a large scale could be very convincing.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+1208 new PCR cases (916476 total)
+6 deaths (23931 total)

Total fully vaccinated 5356261
626 people in hospitals
102 in ICU
47 on ventilators

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Important milestone for NJ today. NJ residents have received over 11 million doses total now (11006190). We should easily be able to add another 300k+ to the fully vaccinated total by the end of the month before school starts.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
NJ Daily Numbers:

+1208 new PCR cases (916476 total)
+6 deaths (23931 total)

Total fully vaccinated 5356261
626 people in hospitals
102 in ICU
47 on ventilators
Do you see any cause for concern or is NJ doing relatively okay? I've noticed our cases steadily rising but I'm not sure how to read the rest of these numbers.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Do you see any cause for concern or is NJ doing relatively okay? I've noticed our cases steadily rising but I'm not sure how to read the rest of these numbers.
There is no strain on the healthcare system so from that perspective we are fine. There are 71 hospitals in NJ so extrapolate those ICU numbers and it's less than 1.5 per hospital in the ICU. Vaccination rate is increasing again which is also great. Perhaps most importantly the governor mandated masks in all schools K—12.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
There is no strain on the healthcare system so from that perspective we are fine. There are 71 hospitals in NJ so extrapolate those ICU numbers and it's less than 1.5 per hospital in the ICU. Vaccination rate is increasing again which is also great. Perhaps most importantly the governor mandated masks in all schools K—12.
Good job Jersey.

Thank you!