• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
With that result for GoT, Sony will definitely do the same for TLoU Part II, pretty much a given I'd say.

digi_era

Jul 21, 2020
You would have a point if this fact wasn't disclosed but everyone knows that digital data for certain games and publishers isn't included. It is what it is, can't be really too picky when it comes to free and accessible data.

In your scenario NPD would be forced to remove all Nintendo games from the charts for example, which wouldn't be a fair representation of the market at all.

Let me write it down for the third time, maybe third time is the charm :-)

They could publish a physical only chart where from every publisher, only physical is counted, while keeping the current mixed chart and maybe even publish a chart only about games where everything is included.
UK is the perfect example, where we get a physical only chart first, then a mixed similar to NPD chart later.

You are right that we are well informed about how flawed this chart is, so they are absolutely fair and transparent about it, my main painpoint is that as time goes on due to the digital takeover this kind of chart makes less and less sense and I am afraid that they don't plan to address it anyhow, which is totally understandable, this chart is not from where they get their revenue, so we should be grateful to get at least this.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Miles legs are quite impressive considering it's been what 9 months since its release? and GoT being this high means means we're probably getting more director's cut.
I am complaining about the US monthly NPD chart where games with and without digital sales are compared to each other which does not make any sense since digital is nowadays around half of the sales.

It's like putting 100m and 200m sprint runners on the same charts.

Again, UK and Japanese charts are good examples on how to do this correctly: publish a physical only chart separately. Of course we don't know whether they have the right to do so or not, I hope they don't have and this is why they don't do it, otherwise it would be rather silly.
No, it doesn't make sense when platforms have a huge difference in digital split. If anything it'd make it worse.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It really is a shame that No More Heroes 3 didnt chart, while far from perfect its still a pretty good game, i wonder how much it sole
I think 3 would've only had two or three days of tracking. The game was peaking at #5 in US eShop rankings last week and also charted similarly on Amazon's Switch games chart on release (even though it always showed as being sold out for me personally), so I presume it did within expectations.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Honestly, if Nintendo adds digital to this, I believe the charts would be boring as hell. Without digital, Nintendo is accounting from 40 to 50% of the charts, add digital and NPD will probably get 70 to 75% of Nintendo titles.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if Nintendo adds digital to this, I believe the charts would be boring as hell. Without digital, Nintendo is accounting from 40 to 50% of the charts, add digital and NPD will look like Famitsu 2.
Nintendo would still be half the chart, just on the upper end. Don't think it would be complete dominance

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Well don't we know it's the fastest selling as well in units? Having a 75% increase in price also helps for after launch sales.

Given it was only two and a half months at the time, I think it would have to be the fastest selling lol. Ratchet & Clank PS4 also released when the PS4 had sold ~40 million consoles vs. ~10 million PS5s.

And sure, as I said, the price does help but lets not forget the push back against the $70 price and the fact that people thought it would have a negative impact on it.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Ghost of Tsushima....god damn.

Miles still trucking along.

Just waiting for the PS Blog post to see the PS5 games chart.

So...I guess Death Stranding might see a similar jump next month?

Aug 15, 2020
I think 3 would've only had two or three days of tracking. The game was peaking at #5 in US eShop rankings last week and also charted similarly on Amazon's Switch games chart on release (even though it always showed as being sold out for me personally), so I presume it did within expectations.
Looks like it only got 2 days of tracking. The August numbers only cover Aug (8/1-8/28) - Sep 14.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it only got 2 days of tracking. The August numbers only cover Aug (8/1-8/28) - Sep 14.
Yeah, there's no way it would've charted then. Even NEO TWEWY got a good chunk of the week to hit #16, and that had digital tracked while this didn't. Bit of an awkward release period for a more niche game if you wanted it to chart.

Last edited:

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Hardware revenue being the same/slight up compared to July seems solid. September looks like will be a slow month (for September standart), but we'll see.

bshark

Banned
Jun 25, 2018
Madden just can't be stopped. Every year - its the same shitty game, and yet it just prints money.

digi_era

Jul 21, 2020
No, it doesn't make sense when platforms have a huge difference in digital split. If anything it'd make it worse.

So just to be clear: in your opinion comparing physical sales to physical sales makes less sense than comparing physical sales to physical+digital sales, is my understanding correct...?

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Haha "post pandemic"

I only say this because I'm currently in Dallas, Texas and it's pretty much back to normal. No masks or anything. It was quite jarring when I landed to be honest. I'm probably one of the few people still wearing a mask around where I'm staying.

Back in Canada, you still pretty much have to wear a mask everywhere except outdoors.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I only say this because I'm currently in Dallas, Texas and it's pretty much back to normal. No masks or anything. It was quite jarring when I landed to be honest. I'm probably one of the few people still wearing a mask around where I'm staying.

Back in Canada, you still pretty much have to wear a mask everywhere except outdoors.
That says more about our stupid country than about whether the pandemic is past tense. Especially given that winter is coming.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
So just to be clear: in your opinion comparing physical sales to physical sales makes less sense than comparing physical sales to physical+digital sales, is my understanding correct...?
There's no physical sales vs physical+digital sales except Nintendo and 2k AFAIK. It's physical+digital for everyone else. And comparing physical vs physical isn't logical as it might look because digital on Xbox is a completely different game compared to Nintendo for example.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Let me write it down for the third time, maybe third time is the charm :-)

They could publish a physical only chart where from every publisher, only physical is counted, while keeping the current mixed chart and maybe even publish a chart only about games where everything is included.
UK is the perfect example, where we get a physical only chart first, then a mixed similar to NPD chart later.

You are right that we are well informed about how flawed this chart is, so they are absolutely fair and transparent about it, my main painpoint is that as time goes on due to the digital takeover this kind of chart makes less and less sense and I am afraid that they don't plan to address it anyhow, which is totally understandable, this chart is not from where they get their revenue, so we should be grateful to get at least this.
I would guess part of the reason they do it like this is also to apply pressure to publishers not participating in the DPP (Nintendo, T2, Bethesda, etc).

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
Thought this would be the month PS5 ended the Switch's streak. Madden Month, Tsushima, and a slow August for Nintendo would seemingly leave it at its weakest for the year.

Even so, those evergreens keep selling, and Switch does have an advantage of being the only system physically available at stores. If Switch grabs September, then I think it makes it to 3 straight years of leading the pack.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Thought this would be the month PS5 ended the Switch's streak. Madden Month, Tsushima, and a slow August for Nintendo would seemingly leave it at its weakest for the year.

Even so, those evergreens keep selling, and Switch does have an advantage of being the only system physically available at stores. If Switch grabs September, then I think it makes it to 3 straight years of leading the pack.
PS5 isn't dictated by supply yet for it to be affected by the games released. Until Sony have enough inventory to outsell the switch, the switch will continue to be number 1 in units.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Switch will remain untouchable this year.

Next window of opportunity I see is February 2022 with Horizon coming out and hopefully a big batch of PS5 consoles.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
The Tsushima spike is wild, but understandable, but do we know what got Miles Morales (and to a lesser extent Last of Us) boosted? Was it just sale prices or did Sony have a good month on PS5 shipments with lots of people picking up some of the first party games along with it? Trying to figure out if Sony has successfully engineered a smaller version of the Nintendo evergreen phenomenon, where each PS5 sale becomes a sale for a couple of older Sony exclusives as well, instead of how it went more traditionally where a new Playstation sale meant a sale for whatever the biggest release of the month was along with it.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
The Tsushima spike is wild, but understandable, but do we know what got Miles Morales (and to a lesser extent Last of Us) boosted? Was it just sale prices or did Sony have a good month on PS5 shipments with lots of people picking up some of the first party games along with it? Trying to figure out if Sony has successfully engineered a smaller version of the Nintendo evergreen phenomenon, where each PS5 sale becomes a sale for a couple of older Sony exclusives as well, instead of how it went more traditionally where a new Playstation sale meant a sale for whatever the biggest release of the month was along with it.

Last of us got a promotion but Miles Morales is just an evergreen title I think. It will continue to sell for the foreseeable future until the sequel is out.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

People in Texas pretending the pandemic is over while hospitalizations and deaths there are at insanely high levels doesn't mean it's actually over.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
next month still doesnt have oled right? I think ps5 might have a chance because of that
once oled hits tho switch should stay on top until january at least

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Switch will remain untouchable this year.

Next window of opportunity I see is February 2022 with Horizon coming out and hopefully a big batch of PS5 consoles.

I always thought September could be a weak month for Switch due to the proximity of OLED. At the same time, it's a more expensive SKU so maybe it doesn't impact the other SKUs that much.