• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
State of the market

February 2020 tracked spending across Video Game Hardware, Software, Accessories and Game Cards totaled $755m, declining 29% vs a year ago. Late cycle hardware dynamics for PS4 and Xbox One as well as a lighter new release software slate drove the variance.

Year-to-date 2020 tracked spending across Video Game Hardware, Software, Accessories and Game Cards totaled $1.4 billion, falling 28 percent when compared to a year ago.

Software

Dollar sales of tracked Video Game Software fell 36 percent in February compared to a year ago, to $307 million. Declines were driven by the sparse new release slate. Year-to-date software sales fell 33 percent when compared to prior year, to $618 million.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare returns to the top of the chart, ranking as the best-selling game of February. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is the second best-selling game of 2020 to date, and remains the best-selling game over the 12 month period ending February.

Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot remains the best-selling game of 2020.

No new release video game of February 2020 reached the top 20 best-sellers chart. The best-selling new release of the month was The Yakuza Remastered Collection, placing as the 33rd best-selling game of the month.

Tom Clancy's The Division 2 returned to the chart, ranking as the 5th best-selling game of February. The title was promotionally priced across both digital (as low as $2.99) and physical retail (as low as $5) during the month.

Ring Fit Adventure moved up one position from its January (which was already its best placement yet) ranking to become the #8 video game on the best-sellers chart in February. The title also ranked as the 2nd best-selling game on Nintendo Switch for the month, trailing only Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Hardware

Hardware spending in February 2020 fell 34 percent when compared to a year ago, to $183 million. All in market console platforms declined when compared to a year ago. Annual spending has dropped 35 percent, to $312 million.

Nintendo Switch was the best-selling hardware platform of February in both unit and dollar sales and reamins the best-selling hardware platform of the year.

Accessories

Total February 2020 spending on Accessories and Game Cards reached $265 million, falling 14 percent when compared to a year ago. Year-to-date spending has declined 13 percent, to $500 million.

The Xbox Elite Series 2 Wireless Controller was the best-selling video game accessory for the fourth consecutive month. It is the best-selling accessory year-to-date.

Software charts

February 2020 top 20 :

ES_b03fU0AAum3p

Xbox One

ES_cItOUwAAGoy1

PlayStation 4

ES_cGR-UwAM-wqP

Nintendo Switch

ES_cLXiUYAAnZmR

The 10 best-selling games of 2020

ES_b4IjUcAAPvCE

The 10 best-selling games of the last 12 months

ES_b7GHUcAA8Pxk

Thanks to Mat Piscatella for the break down ! Sorry for the slight delay, I lost the notion of time while playing Celeste.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I would have loved to see the Zero/ZX set chart but overcoming the late release and budget price made it pretty unlikely.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
botw came out 35 months ago, it's been in the top 20 33 times

giphy.gif

also great legs for other switch evergreens. mario maker 2 :(

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Happy I decided to just randomly buy Ringfit back in January when I had money. I have a feeling I'll be using it a bit in the coming weeks. Lol.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
March will be bad as well. Only Animal Crossing, Doom, and 1 week of RE3.

Coronavirus might also impact Switch hardware.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
So uh... were there literally no new retail releases last month or what? I know it felt slow but jeez that's something.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is digital included for Dreams? Very, very bad if so.

RFA continues to be extremely impressive. Not many companies can announce a game only a few weeks ahead of the launch and still have it perform this well.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Maker 2 isn't on there while New Super Mario U deluxe is.

I think people spoke with their wallet on which 2d mario experience they prefer.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LM3 out legging PKMN in yet another market.

They hate to see it.
i mean... sword and shield combined would most likely place above LM3. still, super impressive legs for luigi's mansion 3.

Breath of the Wild charting THREE YEARS LATER.

Legendary.
Hey BotW, I see you in the top 20 yet again, in the month before your third anniversary.
still at full price, no less.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I thought Dreams was a digital-only release.

Hopefully it sold better digitally cuz these physical launch month #s are dire.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
March will be bad as well. Only Animal Crossing, Doom, and 1 week of RE3.

Coronavirus might also impact Switch hardware.
+ Pokemon which will probably do some good numbers.
+ MLB the Show which is a big seller

March 2019 had The Division 2, Sekiro, MLB and DMC

Release slate seems stronger this year imo.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
RFA biggest challenge ahead is to meet demand with new stocks.

Super Mario Maker 2 isn't on there while New Super Mario U deluxe is.

I think people spoke with their wallet on which 2d mario experience they prefer.
One is a Super Mario Bros game the other is a content creation game based on Super Mario Bros.
IMO NSMBUDX had from then beginning the best chance to sell more in the long run compared to SMM2.

Oct 26, 2017
Catastrophic for Dreams, but that was extremely expected as you can see the estimated player count in the game and it was very bad.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
One is a Super Mario Bros game the other is a content creation game based on Super Mario Bros.
IMO NSMBUDX had from then beginning the best chance to sell more in the long run compared to SMM2.
Given the nature of each I also suspect SMM2 may be leaning more proportionately towards digital too. I believe it's been proven the case in Japan already based on shipment data and tracked physical.

Dec 2, 2019
So the Switch is down YoY. I wonder by how much.

I remember january was down by single digit % but still good.

No luck for people who love numbers, eh?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
How is Dreams #8 on the PS4 chart but surpassed by Yakuza as the top-selling new game?

That's a good question, was Yakuza only released on PS4? Or did it also have a PC/XB1 version?

Why single out Switch hardware like it's the only one affected? Have Sony and Microsoft found the cure to the coronavirus and they're keeping Nintendo in the dark?

Because Switch hardware was already kind of sparse (globally) before the virus caused issues. And Sony/MS have had a lot more time to build up a large inventory.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
RFA biggest challenge ahead is to meet demand with new stocks.

Yeah but NSMBUDX is a port.