• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
State of the market

July 2021 consumer spending across video game hardware, content and accessories increased 10% when compared to a year ago, reaching a July record $4.6B. Year-to-date spending totaled $33.5B, a 14% increase when compared to the same period in 2020.

Hardware was one of the primary drivers of July gains, as dollar sales of console and portable video game systems were 98% higher than in July 2020. Sales of Content increased by $232M, as Mobile, Subscription and Post-Launch Content spend grew vs year ago

Hardware

July video game hardware dollar sales grew 98% when compared to July 2020, to $323 million. This is the highest total achieved in a July month since 2008 ($447M), and the third highest July month total in history. Year-to-date hardware spending has increased 50% when compared to the same period in 2020, reaching $2.7 billion.

PlayStation 5 led the hardware market in dollar sales for the month of July, while Nintendo Switch once again led in unit sales.

Nintendo Switch is the best-selling video game hardware year-to-date in both unit and dollar sales.

Content

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
was the best-selling game of July 2021. It is the first Nintendo published title to lead the monthly best-sellers chart since the launch of Super Mario 3D world in the February 2021 tracking month.

Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin debuted as the third best-selling game of July 2021. Launch month sales of Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin more than tripled the lifetime sales of Monster Hunter Stories, originally released on Nintendo 3DS in 2017.

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War ranked as the 2nd best-selling game of the month of July, and remains the best-selling game of 2021 year-to-date. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War was the best-selling game of the month on both the PlayStation and Xbox platforms.

MLB The Show 21 surpassed Resident Evil: Village to become the 2nd best-selling game of 2021. Year-to-date sales of MLB The Show 21 are the highest in franchise history.

Software charts

E8rBM5kUUAETfdn

E8rBbBbUcAUCoOX

E8rBYl1UcAcQjkn

E32CufmUUAE9BK2
E8rBVaRUUAAR7Cd

E8rBPfrVIAIDg_9

E8rBSCwVIAY_rBd

Accessories

July 2021 spending on video game accessories increased 11% when compared to a year ago, reaching $189 million. Year-to-date accessory sales totaled $1.4 billion, an increase of 13% when compared to the same period in 2020.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD Edition Joy-Con was the best-selling accessory of July in dollar sales. The PS5 DualSense Wireless Controller White remains the best-selling accessory year-to-date.

Thanks to Mat Piscatella for the break down !

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
The Show at 2nd best selling in 2021 and not even including Xbox digital sales is huge. I saw it coming from a mile away. Anecdotally speaking, where I live in the US everybody has an Xbox and a few big baseball fans had a PS4 specifically for this game. I knew I would be huge. The fact that its 10th place on Xbox chart goes to show how big digital is on Xbox. If Sony is reporting 70% digital, Xbox must be at least 80%.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Hmmm I wish Neo Twewy would do great, game's really good. Sad that not many people know the game actually released.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've come to accept Mario Kart as constant on life.

Death, taxes and Mario Kart selling are the only sure things on this world.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
"MLB The Show 21 surpassed Resident Evil: Village to become the 2nd best-selling game of 2021. Year-to-date sales of MLB The Show 21 are the highest in franchise history."

Wooooooooooowww…

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword HD- you know what they say about talent.

Also 9 out of the top 20 are Switch console exclusives.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
MH Stories 2 at 3 is a great debut!

Kinda interesting that NTWEWY is above BOTW on the general chart but not on the Switch only chart. Must have done fairly well on PS.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
4,5&6 being exclusives and keeping their same spots as last month is funny to see.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
was hoping Neo: TWEWY would at least do a bit better in the West but looks like it flopped pretty much everywhere

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
TWEWY did a lot worse than scarlet nexus, SQE should have tried to put the game on Xbox and have them market the game.

YasuYone

Feb 17, 2021
Switch continues its domination again! Zelda and MH doing amazing work for debut month. MK8 is just unstoppable. Dont expect MK9 anytime soon.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
MLB The Show 21 surpassed Resident Evil: Village to become the 2nd best-selling game of 2021. Year-to-date sales of MLB The Show 21 are the highest in franchise history.

The MLB must be happy with their new deal.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
Have they said how long The Show is due to be on GamePass; Is it a permanent title or is it expected to be removed off after a few months?

Wondering if they will get a boost in sales if it does get removed.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest

The MLB must be happy with their new deal.
I'm pretty sure all parties are happy, Mr Walken.

Nintendo games are fkn juggernauts. Good lord Mario Kart..

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin debuted as the third best-selling game of July 2021. Launch month sales of Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin more than tripled the lifetime sales of Monster Hunter Stories, originally released on Nintendo 3DS in 2017.

Hot damn!

Well deserved, though. I really have enjoyed my time with the sequel. Now, put in those damn Magalas!

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Have they said how long The Show is due to be on GamePass; Is it a permanent title or is it expected to be removed off after a few months?

Wondering if they will get a boost in sales if it does get removed.
I'm not sure, but I would guess a year. We'll see if 22 is on game pass, too. This may have been a one off thing to get people in with the expectation players will buy it for $70 next year

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot this thread was getting made.

I'm pretty sure all parties are happy, Mr Walken.
Exactly, lol. Its not just MLB that have something to be happy about.

The Show selling like it is compared to its chart position on all platforms is really something.....

I just realized Miles has been on the overall charts for the past few months, I always focus on the PS5 chart Sony posts on their blog.

Dayum...

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
My opinion regarding Skyward Sword being number 1 this month would certainly fill my notifications lol, but oh well.
No TGAA Chronicles? :(

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately the chances for TWEWY were never high. Ever since its reveal it looked like a stylish but very low budget effort.