• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I didn't expect Far Cry 5 to do this well. Congrats to Ubisoft.

Also, apparently Skyrim is selling better than Nintendo's own Xenoblade Chronicles 2, so 3rd parties can definitely achieve success on the switch.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

Also, apparently Skyrim is selling better than Nintendo's own Xenoblade Chronicles 2, so 3rd parties can definitely achieve success on the switch.
outside of Japan, it's been above Xeno consistently.

It's first month wasn't as big as Xenos in NPD, but by now I wouldn't be surprised if it's above it in the US.

all to say it's above 1 million for sure ww

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017

it is Skyrim though.

MatPiscatella How far down would we need to go before Skyrim shows up on the PS4 and XB1 charts? Top 20, 30, 50?

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why is it hilarious? I mean you laughed at someone as well for buying an Xbox One X for Red Dead Redemption. I believe Sea of Thieves on this list is based on sales, not Game Pass.

Give me a break. To say that Sea of Thieves' sales are so good they're "unheard of" is silly and....inaccurate. It's the 8th best seller of this year, let alone considering the rest of the generation. We can surmise that it's having a good start. That's about it. I don't think it will maintain a very high spot next month after the initial wave of hype wears off, and the negativity surrounding lack of content and reviews sets in.

Also, you misread the post to begin with. I'm fully aware this list doesn't include Game Pass. He was saying that if you add Game Pass downloads ontop of its number 2 placement on this list, its success is unheard of. Which is silly.

And I absolutely stand by thinking it's funny to buy an Xbox One X to play Red Dead Redemption. That's not to say there aren't other good reasons to buy one.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Really? That seems very optimistic considering the best-selling one, God of War 3, only hit 5 million lifetime.
While optimistic and imo not likely for first month, games do much better on PS4. Almost all of Sony's titles have sold more even when the install base was smaller. Even 3rd parties flourish on the system.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Give me a break. To say that Sea of Thieves' sales are so good they're "unheard of" is silly and....inaccurate. It's the 8th best seller of this year, let alone considering the rest of the generation. We can surmise that it's having a good start. That's about it. I don't think it will maintain a very high spot next month after the initial wave of hype wears off, and the negativity surrounding lack of content and reviews sets in.

Also, you misread the post to begin with. I'm fully aware this list doesn't include Game Pass. He was saying that if you add Game Pass downloads ontop of its number 2 placement on this list, its success is unheard of.

And I absolutely stand by thinking it's silly to buy an Xbox One X to play Red Dead Redemption. That's not to say there aren't other good reasons to buy one.

To me, It's all relative.

You should go dig up a thread that has people list what they think will be the biggest flop of 2018.

See how many times SoT was mentioned.

For it to be the 8th best selling game well not being available on the largest platform and at the some time selling an unknown number of subscriptions to its brand new service is really incredible. GRanted it's a bit hyperbolic to say this success is unheard of but this has to be seen as a massive success for everyone involve

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To me, It's all relative.

You should go dig up a thread that has people list what they think will be the biggest flop of 2018.

See how many times SoT was mentioned.

For it to be the 8th best selling game well not being available on the largest platform and at the some time selling an unknown number of subscriptions to its brand new service is really incredible. GRanted it's a bit hyperbolic to say this success is unheard of but this has to be seen as a massive success for everyone involve

I don't think it's fair to call it a "massive" success either. There haven't exactly been many big releases yet this year, so I'm surprised it's as low as 8 in a way. It's off to a good start. Let's see where it lands next month. You are of course entitled to your own opinion though.

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA
Ya I don't get why it is all by revenue when on the NPD website they write "NPD's expert industry analysis and advisory services help retailers and manufacturers identify market trends to make smarter business decisions.

Wouldn't a retailer or manufacturer want much more details than just revenue for example the breakdown of Console SKU's.

I used to have access to full NPD reports and they indeed include all these details and tons more. It is quite frankly insane how much data they have.

But they also restrict what companies can distribute from the data publicly.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
MatPiscatella Hi Mat, thanks for coming in and answering questions!

I was wondering about Skyrim on Switch: it's been around the bottom of the top 10 for couple of month already. Does that mean in your opinion that it is doing decent numbers each month or is the bar of entry for Switch top 10 simply very low?

JSG87

Mar 13, 2018
Ayr, Scotland
Huh Switch didn't top the hardware sales? That's pretty disappointing for a new hardware, I though it's gonna top every quiet months this year.

I wouldn't call it a quite month when FAR CRY 5 is the best selling software title of the year with only 4 days worth of sales lol.

If that game didn't release Switch probably would have took the month. Just wqit until the latter half of the year when all the Switch games release.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Full hardware notes. This should help.

Hardware

Hardware spending in March 2018 declined 32 percent when compared to a year ago, to $331 million.

For the 2018 year to date period, hardware spending has increased 13 percent to $925 million, driven by growth in Xbox One spending. This is the highest year to date total achieved since 2014.

Sony's PlayStation 4 was the best-selling console hardware platform in March, and remains the best-selling console hardware platform year to date.

The Nintendo Switch 32GB with Neon Red/Blue Joy-Con is the best-selling hardware item of both March as well as 2018 year to date.
I know I'm late to the party here, but that is written very poorly. Sounds like NPD needs to invest in some good quality corporate communications people.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the golden era of NPD numbers?
It seems that all the three competitors are killing it

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
While optimistic and imo not likely for first month, games do much better on PS4. Almost all of Sony's titles have sold more even when the install base was smaller. Even 3rd parties flourish on the system.

Don't forget two important factors

Much bigger install base at time of release

Is a better game. (Hides but is true)

I'm all for its success of course. I'm just not sure about 3 million (WW) in a month.

We'll see. It's entirely possible.

We actually had hardware leaked week ago for those wondering

PS4: 354k
Switch: 308k
XBO: 299k

Oh hey, cool. All 3 a relatively close to each other, so that's good.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Zelda, MK8 and Odyssey all being above 3mm!

Thanks John...and wow.

Nintendo biggest evergreens are doing fantastic numbers, and the best part is that they keep on selling, as we can see in charts for several countries. Right now, they're behaving similarly to GTAV, i.e. being the games that brand new Switch users buy when they purchase the system. I'm expecting this trend to continue in spite of newer big releases (like Smash Bros.), even if on a bit lower level of sales obviously.

Also, if you can share it, could you give us an update on Bayonetta 2 Switch's LTD?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
PS4 is selling amazing at 299 and 399.

Imagine if they drop the base to 199.

Great all around for all the console manufacturers

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the golden era of NPD numbers?
It seems that all the three competitors are killing it

I mean situation is better than few years ago (mainly thanks to Nintendo improving so much) but we are still far away from 7th gen era. You had 5 systems doing well (Wii, DS, PS3, X360 and PSP). That was golden era in terms of hardware sales.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call it a quite month when FAR CRY 5 is the best selling software title of the year with only 4 days worth of sales lol.

If that game didn't release Switch probably would have took the month. Just wqit until the latter half of the year when all the Switch games release.
The thing is, every month has something like that for both consoles bros (advantage of having a proper 3rd party support) so it's hard for Switch to top if that's the case. I'm just disappointed Switch isn't topping since it's relatively new but then again PS4 is probably a juggernaut at this point.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What happened to the switch sales drying up that some seemed were sure to happen due to no big hitters being released early 2018?

Hardware sales seem to be doing just fine.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Game pass is brand new and I don't think we have heard anything about how it's doing so far. It's not surprising that it would not have an huge impact on sales yet as it will take some time to build up subscribers (assuming it even takes off at all)

Love how this narrative changed again (not personally from you) but its fun to see. :P

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
What happened to the switch sales drying up that some seemed were sure to happen due to no big hitters being released early 2018?

Hardware sales seem to be doing just fine.

Dunno. 308k seems pretty damned epic. It's all about perspective, really. If Nintendo was first on the charts with 308k, then Nintendo would be considered doing lights out awesome. However, since Sony is first, and Nintendo is second with 308k.....I'm sure you know the rest.

The way I see it, the console market hasn't been this healthy in a long ass time, and all three are pulling their own weight this time around. Good time to be into gaming.