• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I believe you're right. Nintendo of America have called DQ9 a success on multiple occasions despite it not "blowing up" in the West. I'm sure they (and Square) have their expectations in check.

Having said that, there is always a wish for it to become bigger than it is - largely because they're always such well-made games.
I'd just hate to see Square sacrifice what the series is just for more western sales. The series is and has always been perfect as it is. It is why a lot of fans love it.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Huh?! This September is probably the busiest month the Switch has had yet.

Game released the same week as a fucking Zelda!
PS4 still had even more release against its DQ release though. And again, not to mention the drastic difference in marketing. I don't recall a single DQXI ad on PS4 but they're everywhere for Switch.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Retail means copies bought from a store. The Xbox marketplace is a store, so yes, I'm including physical and digital sales.

Again, we don't need to say "it did good considering..." That just isn't a meaningful argument anymore. It's all about GP.

How do you feel about sales of 3rd party games on Xbox going forward? I imagine existence of GP has negative impact on sales of new releases that are not on it or if not yet it will start to happen soon.

I fear that it would to situation were as a 3rd party in order "sell" on Xbox you would have to be on GP which with how monetization is done would lead to MS dicacting prices they are willing to pay to get the game on GP somewhat holding devs hostage while they rank in the Subscription money. This is a very hypothetical scenario of course but still I wonder if this could lead to 3rd parties skipping Xbox in the future.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
The Dragon Quest sales depress me. The game is so ridiculously good, and one of the highest quality efforts on Switch. I really hope SE isn't disappointed with the worldwide results - I want more of this type of content to hit.

MANUELF

Oct 25, 2017
I could bet with digital DQ11 S would be above Catherine but alas no digital is included for any Nintendo game

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
So top 10 isn't good?
It's not "good" relative to previous iterations in the series, which I can understand.
That being said, the number of people who own current gen consoles are much higher than they were in 2014, especially on PS4. Being lower than the gears 4 position in terms of comparative sales is understandable, even without gamepass.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It is going to happen though on the recruitment massage for XII they have said that the goal is to: "deliver a new appeal of Dragon Quest to fans worldwide." and
We await the applications of developers who love trying new things!"

It's pretty obvious were this is going. Also I vividly rememeber thay Hori saying that XI is culmination of the series while XII will try new things.

It'll be interesting to see what they do but I don't see them going action.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
How do you feel about 3rd party games on Xbox going forward. I imagine existence of GP has negative impact on sales of new releases that are not on it or if not yet it will start to happen soon.

I fear that it would to situation were as a 3rd party in order "sell" on Xbox you would have to be on GP which with how monetization is done would lead to MS dicacting prices they are willing to pay to get the game on GP somewhat holding devs hostage while they rank in the Subscripcion money. This is a very hypothetical scenario of course but still I wonder if this could lead to 3rd parties skipping Xbox in the future.
I think is too early and subscription gaming services like GP are too new to come to any sort of conclusion.
So top 10 isn't good?
Well it wasn't a particularly strong month outside the top 5...

Also, frankly each retail sale of Gears is kinda a bad thing, because it largely represents players that did not sign up for Game Pass, which is what MS actually wants.

As subscription services proliferate, we will need to completely change how we look at this industry.

megaStryke

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
California
Honest question, does DQ even need to be more popular in the west? As long as it remains a massive hit in Japan and sells enough to justify a localization, it really doesn't need to blow up in the West.

I've always looked at DQ like this. It is made for the Japanese market and then sells only to the fans in the West. I doubt Nintendo or even Square ever expect it to be a chart topping seller. I doubt they will ever develop a DQ game with the West in mind. The series is too big in Japan for them to change it for western popularity sake.

Also, Hero wasn't put in Smash to make the series big in the West, he was put in because Dragon Quest is huge in Japan.
A lot of folks, myself included, said the same thing about Monster Hunter.

Then World came out.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 still had even more release against its DQ release though. And again, not to mention the drastic difference in marketing. I don't recall a single DQXI ad on PS4 but they're everywhere for Switch.

To be fair DQ11 last year released early in September and therefor not only had ~32 days tracked but also digital was included (not sure if Steam sales were included?).
DQ11S on the other only had 8 days tracked and no digital sales included.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The difference is Dragon Quest managed to carve out a niche for itself against games like Spider-Man and 2K since they were so different. Dragon Quest and Zelda are both fantasy adventure games released in the same week. Everyone went for the bigger name of the two. At the very least the other games on the Switch chart were all evergreen hits like Smash and Mario maker so maybe the game met expectations.

And less days of tracking and no digital sales kind of skewed things as well.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like people expecting Dragon Quest to breakout and do huge numbers are kind of insane and setting their expectations way higher than either Nintendo or Square. Probably the same people who expect the Tokyo Mirage Sessions enhanced port to be a big seller when obviously it won't.

I'm sure Dragon Quest on Switch is performing right in line with expectations

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Gears 5 had 3 million players in one weekend. A majority through gamepass. Saying the game bombed is laughably wrong.
It is impossible to determine if Microsoft exclusives bomb anymore due to Game Pass, unless even the player count is extremely low.

With Game Pass trials, cheap deals, sign/cancel etc; it's really hard to say what any of it means anymore.

Kinda great for the narrative actually.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
Only on ERA and with Switch involved would people call a re-release of a one year old JRPG you can get for 1/3 of the price on PS4/P selling 75k week1 a flop.
DQ is just fine. The release did what it was supposed to do - setting the stage for future titles
The thread has focused one that one game and we know literally nothing. We can't even compare chart positions because they're not the same metrics. The fained outrage in here is over the top.
Unlike DQ11, Spiro seems to have performed surprisingly well on Switch.
The two games are only 3 spaces apart on the Switch Top 10 and Spyro had its digital counted. If Spyro "performed surprisingly well" there's no reason not to claim DQXI didn't also.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
How do you feel about sales of 3rd party games on Xbox going forward? I imagine existence of GP has negative impact on sales of new releases that are not on it or if not yet it will start to happen soon.

I fear that it would to situation were as a 3rd party in order "sell" on Xbox you would have to be on GP which with how monetization is done would lead to MS dicacting prices they are willing to pay to get the game on GP somewhat holding devs hostage while they rank in the Subscription money. This is a very hypothetical scenario of course but still I wonder if this could lead to 3rd parties skipping Xbox in the future.
This is one of the many things about game pass that I've thought about recently. Here is another.

So now all the Xbox exclusives are on PC, which means there are less reasons than ever to buy an Xbox console, which means an even smaller potential user base on that platform. It makes me wonder if Xbox console sales could whither to the point where mid size publishers question whether it's even worth the cost of producing that sku.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
That's the problem. The thread has focused one that one game and we know literally nothing. We can't even compare chart positions because they're not the same metrics. The fained outrage in here is over the top.
I somewhat understand what you mean, but the issue was they pulled a number from no where and stated it as fact. I'd find that arguably worse.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh....Dragon Quest....even with all the solid Nintendo marketing and Hero being in Smash. It's such a fantastic and impressive port too. Probably the most impressive on Switch so far.

I mean it is a re-release, but god dammit America you SUCK

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I would like to scream "I told you so" but 1 day of tracking for Breakpoint is not enough. But I still stand behind my prediction that Breakpoint will sell worse than Wildlands.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
So does this mean Code vein did relatively well? Can't get it rn due to funds but I'd like for it to do well.

Also damn at 2K. Larger world really doesn't care about MTX :(

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
So does this mean Code vein did relatively well? Can't get it rn due to funds but I'd like for it to do well.

Also damn at 2K. Larger world really doesn't care about MTX :(
top 10 seems really good for Code Vein, especially considering how many sports games crowd the list around this time of the year

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
I somewhat understand what you mean, but the issue was they pulled a number from no where and stated it as fact. I'd find that arguably worse.
Sorry. I missed the segment you had bolded and didn't get the context of your post. I've edited my post to remove quoting you and to place it in the context I intended.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
As someone who threw $60 at DQ on PS4, I can't feel sympathy for Square. They should really support the other two versions of the game with extras as well. I also don't blame Switch owners for not throwing $60 at a late port, just a horrible situation overall. No one wins, and a pretty great game gets buried.

Code Vein at 8 is shocking. The game has pretty bad word of mouth from what I've seen.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Microsoft have been SO aggressive with the deals it's really made me skeptical of this. I mean, at E3 time they were offering up 3 years of Game Pass/Gold for $180. That struck me as the kind of deal one offers when they're really desperate to get some customers.

They could have offered a one year deal, or two years, and people still would have been excited. They offered 3.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Yall Americans going to make Dragon Quest Monsters never come overseas, and I will find each of you and it won't be pretty.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
That's pretty much guaranteed given what comes out next week will take away all of its audience without breaking a sweat.

I was saying that game won't sell as good as Wildlands weeks before release and analysts just repeated how Wildlands sold like crazy so Breakpoint will sell too. After first beta reactions it was clear that something is wrong with game.

Oct 29, 2017
This is one of the many things about game pass that I've thought about recently. Here is another.

So now all the Xbox exclusives are on PC, which means there are less reasons than ever to buy an Xbox console, which means an even smaller potential user base on that platform. It makes me wonder if Xbox console sales could whither to the point where mid size publishers question whether it's even worth the cost of producing that sku.
I can't see it getting to that point unless the cost and time it takes to put games on Xbox consoles become way to much . Plus new consoles coming next year and the next Xbox console could do much better than this one . Hard to say

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Microsoft have been SO aggressive with the deals it's really made me skeptical of this. I mean, at E3 time they were offering up 3 years of Game Pass/Gold for $180. That struck me as the kind of deal one offers when they're really desperate to get some customers.

They could have offered a one year deal, or two years, and people still would have been excited. They offered 3.
Game Pass is a long term bet, and growing the user base is far more important than revenue for the foreseeable future. They aren't offering a good deal on it out of desperation, they were doing it for the same reason Disney has been giving away a year of Disney+.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope Nintendo will change their stance and start providing digital sales to the NPD group.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
mfw NBA is the best selling game of 2019 already
tenor.gif

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Nice to see Code Vein charting. When you mix souls, waifus/husbandos, and a nice character creation feature, yeah that's recipe for success there. I know I been enjoying it.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Game Pass is a long term bet, and growing the user base is far more important than revenue for the foreseeable future. They aren't offering a good deal on it out of desperation, they were doing it for the same reason Disney has been giving away a year of Disney+.
I'm glad to hear that, and I'm not complaining about the game pass deal being too generous. I certainly jumped on it. :)