• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Of the new Shonen "big 3" (My Hero Academia, Demon Slayer and Black Clover) which is best?

• My Hero Academia

Votes: 245 51.1%
  • Demon Slayer

Votes: 188 39.2%
  • Black Clover

Votes: 46 9.6%

• Total voters

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It's as stock as it gets with the ending stuff being incredibly boring. Has some nice emotional moments but too rare to make it amazing or even great. The popularity is purely because of Ufotables insane anime adaptation.
The animation is amazing I will given that.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
the problem is that power creep set in hard really fast in MHA. when powers like "talk to animals" and "has a tail" allow you to get into the greatest hero school in japan and then the main character and the villains get broken power ups

man, it's really jarring seeing

Asta's dumbass only having one power while deku has 6 extra ones

I like black clover, but it's fast pacing (a positive to me) and it's heavy Shonen formula makes power jog, not creep. Still love it.

All that said, everyone read Chainsaw Man. For real.

I guess I actually need to start reading JJK.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
For MHA, I basically fell asleep for entire portion of the story following All Might vs All For One all the way until... uh... a significant arc that hasn't been covered by the anime yet. You know the one. It took all that time to jerk me back awake and care about what was happening again.

And despite that, I still voted for MHA here.

I'm not sure what that says about me, or the state of these series in general.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
On Demon Slayer, I thought is was mostly mediocre as far as the first season show went. Everything after that in the manga is what actually sold me. That and Inosuke is one of my favorite characters in manga at the moment.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MHA: Thought it would have scratched that superhero itch like the MCU/DC movies, but I found it incredibly dull and I don't care about most of the characters, main character included

Black Clover: 25% Goofy, 75% Meh

Demon Slayer: Finishing up the 1st season and seen the movie. Liking it so far, but we'll see how long that will last

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Mashle is also stealth amazing. More laughs per chapter than anything out there right now.
When it first started, I legit thought Mashle was going to wear out its welcome and beat the joke into the ground before long

Here we are over a year later, and its still consistently funny and has yet to get old. I really hope that the eventual anime gets some quality animation for the action.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Early on in both Black Clover and My Hero Academia, I thought they were both just decent at best and didn't understand why so many people trashed on Black Clover and held My Hero Academia in such high regards. But Black Clover just ends up becoming a complete fucking mess and My Hero Academia continuously got better. The best thing Black Clover has going for it are the OPs. They're next fucking level.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Can you even call KNY a big three when it already ended? Can Black Clover be a big three when JJK and One Piece still exist?

Whatever the case, it's not Black Clover, lol.

MHA had a really bad middle from the time the first AFO arc ended to the start of the big LOV fight, but the manga's at its most interesting since.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I had to go with MHA. It has some really great moments even though it squanders a lot of its potential.

Black Clover is Bleach/Fairy Tail tier of Shonen anime.

Demon Slayer is okay with a mediocre ending. Its reputation seems to have been greatly exaggerated by the movie's success.

I agree with all this.

Jujutsu Kaisen is my new jam however.

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
My Hero Academia tries to do some interesting stuff, even if it doesn't always land

Demon Slayer is solid and well produced in the anime, but overall pretty standard stuff

Black Clover is just bad, full stop. I watched over 130 episodes of the anime and it's still operating like it's 2003. Looks horrible 90% of the time, and has abysmal pacing. Most shonen these days fixed those problems by going seasonal.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Haven't read the manga, didn't care for the Black Clover anime at all. The vocal direction is bad, I never thought Goku and Naruto could be topped in terms of ear-gouging vocal performances for a series protagonist, but here we are.

Demon Slayer I'd honestly rather take in gif form than have to watch full episodes of. It's just an animation showcase.

MHA I fell off completely after a few seasons. Kind of fun while it lasted, but it was obvious it was going to have the Naruto problem of "the author doesn't give a flying fuck about the characters I like and is completely obsessed with the ones I can't stand" worse and worse the further on it went.

I choose the hidden JJK option. When it comes to shonen, style trumps.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
When it first started, I legit thought Mashle was going to wear out its welcome and beat the joke into the ground before long

Here we are over a year later, and its still consistently funny and has yet to get old. I really hope that the eventual anime gets some quality animation for the action.

Feels like Mob Psycho does Harry Potter. Can not wait for an anime.

Why do we have eyes you ask?

So we can read Mashle.

Are you even trying to spell fire with the stars of your dreams?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Black Cover being a part of the "new big 3" doesn't even sound right. I'd replace it with Attack on Titan.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Demon Slayer manga ended after only a 4 year run?

Thought an insanely popular shounen would be milked for all its worth and go for at least 10 years.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018

Thought an insanely popular shounen would be milked for all its worth and go for at least 10 years.
It was already ending when it really blew up. There are some more wild theories as to why it ended but I don't think anything more definitive has been said on it

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Seeing this thread, these current big shounen series really have it good with anime adaptation, huh?
The animation quality of JJK, MHA, and Demon Slayer is just so good that I can look past how mediocre they actually are. I don't think I can sit through any of the source material.

Glad we still have something like Chainsaw Man though.

IIRC, it was already entering the endgame by the time the anime came out and the anime was what made it super popular. It was on the verge of getting axed before the god tier adaptation by ufotable.

Oct 25, 2017
I watched a few episodes of BC with my gf and told her if she wanted to keep watching she could do it alone, that's how bad it was.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
It's MHA for me. I tried to like Black Clover because I liked the previous work they did that got cancelled (Hungry Joker) and I just couldn't. I hate the character design, similar to why I can't mess with One Piece.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That and Attack on Titan is over, well the manga is anyway, it doesn't count anymore anyway.

So then why should Demon Slayer? I don't keep up with Shonen Jump but if Chainsaw Man is a part of it then I'd put it there.

People usually mean "Shonen Jump" when they're talking about Big Three.

Strange. I don't see any reason to exclude other shonen just because it's not a part of the official Shonen Jump line.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, OP. I don't like MHA or Demon Slayer so Black Clover is my favorite for the three

Oct 28, 2017
So then why should Demon Slayer? I don't keep up with Shonen Jump but if Chainsaw Man is a part of it then I'd put it there.

Strange. I don't see any reason to exclude other shonen just because it's not a part of the official Shonen Jump line.
I've complained about that in the past too, sorry for not mentioning it this time. AoT could be argued of being Big 3 just what less than this month ago, lol. I know the Big 2 are OP and MHA, the third tends to be debated quite a bit. It's generally argued it's JJK, BC, etc.. and never really reaching a consensus, shrug.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Demon slayer is on fire right now but I wouldn't call it a big three because it's pretty much on a set time due to being finished.

JJK is where it's at honestly. Also Chainsawman and spoilers for Chainsawman
it's hopefully soon to premier manga sequel will be in the running.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Did not read Black Clover, but dropped the other 2 at some point, so who knows.

No.

EoA6OVyXMAwffoR

Eub3ogjXAAA6F9t

Wait, Kny sold 10 times the second place? Or there's a typo in the image?

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017

Well, the "Big Three" are Shonen Jump's major movers in much the same way that Spider-Man, the X-Men, etc. are Marvel's big money-makers. If you start bringing in other publications it becomes less of an apples-to-apples comparison, because suddenly you have all these factors regarding the publication schedule/style of those magazines, their distribution network, etc. that are influencing the sales and popularity as much or more than the actual quality of the work.

Like, someone said upthread that Attack on Titan probably doesn't actually compare to any major Shonen Jump property sales-wise. That's probably true. If it had been published in Jump, would it have been #1 in the magazine? Quite possibly, but we'll never know.