• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kicks his head so fast and hard it spins like the blades of a fan blocking all the arrows is how I took it.

Same

I already confused Yamato for Nami on page 13 of this very chapter so not really. I didn't realize it was Yamato until taking another look at the eyebrows

Eh, agree to disagree, though I was talking about the cliffhanger panel

People hyping up Zoro v. King are wanting a fight without any buildup. Zoro always developed a grudge or rivalry with his main fights, such as Mr. 1, Kaku, and PIca. There's no buildup to Zoro v. King, nor will Zoro further develop his sword skills there. He'll have a fight, but not against King.

I don't feel like this is a real trend tbh

So freaking happy Sanji finally got some love in terms of combat feats. It's been so long.

I hate Homie Clima-Tact. It does not vibe with Nami's aesthetics and I reject it as a concept. Zeus should've been kept as a baby cloud.

Maybe Oda just wanted Zeus to be more out of sight, out of mind, but I thought him residing in the climatact already accomplished that

Also, I love the narrative of Kine and Momo having to grow into the role of calling each other father and son and eventually it becomes second nature to the point that they love each other as such while Yama threw his bonds with Kaido just a few pages later.

Yep, love it

Kinemon got it surprisingly bad

He is as the kids say, down colossal

Also want to give a shoutout to Shinobu

She has really grown on me over the course of this arc and other than Kinemon she has done the most for Momo during this raid

Yea it's just a support role where she's babysitting, but kudos to her escaping from Kaido

I'm also gonna be honest, and I make take a huge L on this and y'all can tease me on it, but I just do not believe that Marco vs King is the endgame for those two. King is basically Kaido's right hand man and he's gotten almost nothing this entire arc whereas Jack and Queen keep showing up and getting more screen time and were more established beforehand to begin with. That makes me incredibly suspicious of King from a narrative standpoint and makes me think he's being saved for a big duel and I just don't see Marco to be the one when he's been in an overwhelmingly support role this whole time (Honestly, I lean towards Marco will need to hold off Kaido at some point while we wait for Luffy to return because Luffy's current fall feels very setup for his usual last minute save).

And my thing is, you can't have 2/3rd of the Monster Trio defeating the top guy and his third in line and then just leave Zoro out of the conversation. And I know people are gonna default to "but his damage", but that feels a little hollow to me when Luffy has literally been knocked out twice in this fight by Kaido using some of his strongest attacks and is clearly going to come back and beat Kaido in the end (and there's a chance he may get knocked down again depending on how much the tragedy angle of Act 3 goes). It's not like Zoro isn't Luffy's level in terms of taking damage after everything we saw in Thriller Bark, and he's been wrapped up several chapter with Chopper taking over to heal him, the X factor of the shrouded healer for the Scabbards in play (which I think we've generally settled on as being Hiyori lol), and there's just references to Zoro coming back into this fight and it pairs so nicely with the dinosaur hunters line from Little Garden to for Zoro and Sanji and their general competitive banter here.

Again, I recognize that's not a popular sentiment here and it feels a little Zoro-fanboyish I suppose, but it just makes way too much sense to me. Like having him "kill" Orochi would be such a nothing moment that I don't think it's his end game for Wano at all and again, having 2/3rd of the Monster Trio get their proper 1 vs 1 fights of the 1st and 3rd stronger enemies in the Beast Pirates without Zoro getting the same feels off to me when this is clearly supposed to be the Monster Trio getting to the level of Yonko status.

Objectively, I will admit that the idea of Marco vs King is weird. It's the same reason I didn't want it over Sanji vs King, because with the latter you're going in genuinely wondering how Sanji will pull it off. Whereas with Marco vs King, the fandom mostly assumes he's stronger than King going into the fight. Now granted, Marco already seems to be starting to get exhausting, he did have to deal with two commanders at once, but yea

That said, again, narratively speaking, Zoro already pulled out all his best shit against Kaido. Asura made a return. He was revealed to have Conqueror's Haki. He scarred Kaido! Everything other than that is gonna feel like a step down happening in the same arc, even beating someone like King. Even more so if it plays out on a way where Zoro finishes off a weakened King. So the idea of this leaving Zoro out of the conversation is a ridiculous assertion to make, because Zoro himself already subverted expectations by fighting a Yonko alongside Luffy, and did way better than most thought he would. The only reason you and maybe others are feeling this way is because it'll be months since Zoro was doing his thing on the rooftop, so over time it'll start to feel more and more like Zoro is *somehow* getting shortchanged. But you reread those chapters, and it's clear that Zoro was MVP as fuck during that section, to the point where he can honestly just chill now if Oda wanted him to

As for his injuries, we'll see what Chopper does, but Zoro literally just tanked what is probably the strongest attack in the series. And you can bring up Luffy as a counterargument, but the obvious difference is that Zoro was explicitly pointed out to have broken a lot of his bones, and is heavily bandaged. So regardless of how durable One Piece characters tend to be, this is our visual signifier that Zoro got fucked up. Luffy in comparison just got knocked out again, but we've already seen him bounce back from that before. Also... he doesn't have regular bones like Zoro does anyhow lmao

So yea, I dunno, we'll see how it goes with Chopper. But I can't deny that part plus Sanji and Zoro doing the whole Zou callback means nothing is truly impossible. It'd be hella greedy of Oda, but I guess we're used to that at this point lol

I wonder if the scabbards are going to be the biggest casualties of this arc or if anyone else more important is going to die (be it on the alliance's side or Kaido's)

Having Kanjuro achieve his dream and getting a fitting death makes me wanna take another look on how things might shake out for Kaido...

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Now that was an awesome chapter. Still impossible for me to see Luffy beat Kaido in a 1 vs 1 (still wouldn't make sense). But now I can see clearly that Kaido will lose. Only emperor he will defeat by himself is Blackbeard

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Momo and Tama as the buggy/shanks of the ship and Yamoto as the Oden, Hori can rule Wano. Tama has already been in ads and color spreads that only feature strawhats.
This makes alot of sense because you need those in the crew to share the story to future generations. You need someone there to help share the Laughing Tale after it's all said and done.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly just find it extremely weird that King has gotten so little screentime and development compared to Queen. Like someone said earlier that people wanting Zoro vs. King are asking for a fight with no buildup which is true, but that's also because basically anyone vs. King would be a fight with no buildup right now, except for Perospero I guess lol. King's done very little except give orders and fight Marco, while Queen has like personally made himself the enemy of most of the people on Onigashima right now. Really makes me wonder what King's ultimate role is going to be or if he's even going to have much of a role at all.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
One Piece 1015:

- Disappointed Chopper didn't get to keep fighting with Queen to the end and is now back to "doctoring" in the case of Zoro, after having so many great moments after defeating the virus/his initial attack on Queen. On the other hand Sanji's entrance was nice here taking down Perospero as well. Plus with how Queen was talking about Sanji and Judge earlier in the arc, this meeting/fight had to happen sooner or later.

-In regards to Kaido and Kinemon, in general it's really hard to care about the Scabbards anymore after so many fake outs from Oda this arc, from Kanjuro's original death to coming back to life and not really doing anything beyond trolling the Scabbards with Oden, to Orochi coming back only to be "killed" again just as quickly without doing anything significant ("yet" I suppose if he comes back again). To be honest once this arc is over this will be my main "negative" about the entire thing and how it was written/IMO thinking the Scabbards/Kanjuro's stories would have been better with no fake outs.

-Monosuke announcing Luffy is still alive along with everyone's reactions was good. I would have liked if Oda had let Kaido's original announcement last another chapter or two/kept drama like Chopper being upset going a little longer though, along with how Luffy was getting rescued.

-My second highlight beyond Sanji attacking Queen was Yamato finally reaching Kaido/Yamato getting a one on one with Kaido. Besides wanting to see more of Yamato in action, Oda can show off more of Kaido's power here before Luffy returns without the "one sideness" Luffy vs Kaido felt most of the time in regards to Luffy showing his growth.

-Overall: Minus the overall feelings on the Scabbards, the chapter was fine. I'm looking forward to seeing Yamato vs Kaido.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
One Piece 1015:
-In regards to Kaido and Kinemon, in general it's really hard to care about the Scabbards anymore after so many fake outs from Oda this arc, from Kanjuro's original death to coming back to life and not really doing anything beyond trolling the Scabbards with OdenKaido.
Well, that and kill Kiku.

Aug 12, 2019
Objectively, I will admit that the idea of Marco vs King is weird. It's the same reason I didn't want it over Sanji vs King, because with the latter you're going in genuinely wondering how Sanji will pull it off. Whereas with Marco vs King, the fandom mostly assumes he's stronger than King going into the fight. Now granted, Marco already seems to be starting to get exhausting, he did have to deal with two commanders at once, but yea

That said, again, narratively speaking, Zoro already pulled out all his best shit against Kaido. Asura made a return. He was revealed to have Conqueror's Haki. He scarred Kaido! Everything other than that is gonna feel like a step down happening in the same arc, even beating someone like King. Even more so if it plays out on a way where Zoro finishes off a weakened King. So the idea of this leaving Zoro out of the conversation is a ridiculous assertion to make, because Zoro himself already subverted expectations by fighting a Yonko alongside Luffy, and did way better than most thought he would. The only reason you and maybe others are feeling this way is because it'll be months since Zoro was doing his thing on the rooftop, so over time it'll start to feel more and more like Zoro is *somehow* getting shortchanged. But you reread those chapters, and it's clear that Zoro was MVP as fuck during that section, to the point where he can honestly just chill now if Oda wanted him to

As for his injuries, we'll see what Chopper does, but Zoro literally just tanked what is probably the strongest attack in the series. And you can bring up Luffy as a counterargument, but the obvious difference is that Zoro was explicitly pointed out to have broken a lot of his bones, and is heavily bandaged. So regardless of how durable One Piece characters tend to be, this is our visual signifier that Zoro got fucked up. Luffy in comparison just got knocked out again, but we've already seen him bounce back from that before. Also... he doesn't have regular bones like Zoro does anyhow lmao

So yea, I dunno, we'll see how it goes with Chopper. But I can't deny that part plus Sanji and Zoro doing the whole Zou callback means nothing is truly impossible. It'd be hella greedy of Oda, but I guess we're used to that at this point lol

I mean, I recognize Zoro had him his hype as hell moment... But a couple of things bother me about that being it. The first of which is that while he scarred Kaido and fought alongside Luffy, we've not really gotten an indication of much impact that's actually had on Kaido from a damage perspective beyond it being a scar. If Zoro's attack had more clearly put Kaido in a disadvantaged state, I'd be more inclined to agree but Kaido just seems to have taken it like everything else. Zoro did some great stuff, but if his BIG contribution is against Kaido, it still feels a little unresolved as a plot point to me (which if a weakened Zoro comes back in to assist a potential Luffy/Luffy and Yamato against Kaido, I'm also more OK with this).

The other thing like I said is that it feels like you have the Monster Trio setup for their biggest post timeskip wins except for Zoro, who again, seems to be saddled with the support role only. Like defeating an opponent is a much bigger feat in the One Piece world relative to damaging an opponent and you potentially have Sanji beating Queen in a 1 vs 1 while Luffy is going to be the one to 1 vs 1 Kaido and finally break the old adage of "Always bet on Kaido in a 1 vs 1". There feels like an absence there for Zoro despite all of his rooftop achievements if we're supposed to be re-emphasizing the Monster Trio as the core of the crew's fighting prowess. Especially with everything Zoro and Sanji keep getting this arc with their usual banter.

And much like death in One Piece, injury in One Piece tends to not mean a whole hell of a lot honestly and that also is kind of suspect to me. Like, we are coming off of an arc where Luffy had a massive hole punched in his abdomen from one of Katakuri's strongest attacks and it barely made a difference in the fight from the perspective of Luffy not even being out for more than a few seconds/minutes at most (I know Katakuri stabbed himself later to even things up, but the point is Luffy took one of the most graphic injuries since Akainu blew a hole in his chest and it really didn't put him out of commission). And how did Luffy come back from that? He slept for a little while, Chopper patched him up, and drink some milk to fix his bones after having just survived through it to beat Katakuri.

And I guess, from a narrative perspective, there's a few things that also feel unresolved. Zoro using Conqueror's Haki is one thing, but him recognizing it as a power he can use still feels like it needs to happen in a big way this arc even if it's not mastery of the power. Sort of how Luffy gained upgrades to Haki in his arc and began showing progress on them within the same arc. Plus, again, I cannot get over just how suspect King being largely sidelined is. I can't think of any other time we've seen a second in command get this sidelined, let alone someone like King who should arguably be a massive character in this raid. He's literally what, the third strongest after Kaido and Big Mom for the antagonists? Having him and Marco fight largely off screen just feels super odd even by Wano's tendency to off screen major events. Especially when Marco feels like he's kind of passing the torch to the next generation to begin with...

Like I get that it's greedy, I get that Zoro already had some huge moments that are among his best in the series, and I get that Marco has to do something. I won't really dispute any of that, but there's just enough narrative threads and curiosity for me to think it's the end game for Zoro here. Maybe Marco needs to weaken King some alongside Kawamatsu and Izo for it to work on a semi healed Zoro, but I think King is a big chess piece who has largely gone unused for this whole raid.

But also who knows, this is also the same Oda who decided that Robin's best use in Dressrosa was protecting Rebecca from an unrelated Diamante attack and catching Hakuba once, so I dunno, sometimes Oda just doesn't use characters that much so maybe King just goes the way of a Doflaming executive who we ultimately don't learn much about or care much about and I'm seeing a setup that isn't real.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
-In regards to Kaido and Kinemon, in general it's really hard to care about the Scabbards anymore after so many fake outs from Oda this arc, from Kanjuro's original death to coming back to life and not really doing anything beyond trolling the Scabbards with Oden, to Orochi coming back only to be "killed" again just as quickly without doing anything significant ("yet" I suppose if he comes back again). To be honest once this arc is over this will be my main "negative" about the entire thing and how it was written/IMO thinking the Scabbards/Kanjuro's stories would have been better with no fake outs.

I find it crazy that people thought Kanjuro was really dead before when we have seen paint clones of himself die or now or that Orochi is dead when he is beheaded when his mythology is literally you have to remove all his heads. It's not trolling and if people think so they must never of read bleach weekly.

aizen-trolling-kubo_o_220867.jpg

This shit was a god damn troll, the first two arcs of bleach being good was also a troll to trap people into thinking bleach would be good and I am still mad about it.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I find it crazy that people thought Kanjuro was really dead before when we have seen paint clones of himself die or now or that Orochi is dead when he is beheaded when his mythology is literally you have to remove all his heads. It's not trolling and if people think so they must never of read bleach weekly.

aizen-trolling-kubo_o_220867.jpg

This shit was a god damn troll, the first two arcs of bleach being good was also a troll to trap people into thinking bleach would be good and I am still mad about it.
I miss the Bleach memes sometimes.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Between how "on-screen" all of it's been, combined with weird stuff like introducing their graves at the start of the arc and that one page about the fire festival, I'm starting to lean towards the scabbards, or at least some, actually going down for good.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Gimme that Kaido/Yams flashback. I want it so bad. I want it to be about both of them with some Rocks on the side but not as the main point of it.

Oct 26, 2017

Sanji fans must be freaking out now after this chapter. Sanji vs Queen has finally been memed into existence. lol
But seriously, the way he kicked Queen so hard that his head spun and deflected all the arrows while also hitting Perospero is one of the coolest fighting choreography scenes in all of Wano.

Sanji saving Chopper and reassuring him of Luffy's return reminded of when he saved Usopp from Jabra and said this:
EUo5_W-XsAAAXHy.jpg

Kinemon just barely poking Kaido with his broken blade in one last moment to delay him was powerful. We've been with Kin and Momo for hundreds of chapters and it's crazy to see how far we've come. The brief flashback between Momo and him was touching.
Now, as great as a fitting end this would be for him, I just don't think Kin is dead here...at least, not yet. He still has to see Otsuru again. And unless Oda goes all-in on the ghost stuff Greg has been theorizing on, he'll get back up soon. EVEN THOUGH A STAB THROUGH THE TORSO SHOULD KILL lol

The voice that Momo heard was....LUFFY!
The Voice of All Things is definitely telepathy-based, that's confirmed. Luffy must have known that his thoughts would reach Momo. Man, this moment was so damn cool!
It's still not 100% clear if VOAT is a different branch of Observation Haki or not.

Zeus Lives!!....in Nami's Clima-Tact?? I didn't see this coming. I thought Zeus would rematerialize in Hera but it seems some of that soul got fused into the Clima-Tact now. Does this mean Zeus can enhance all of Nami's weather techniques and not just cloud-based ones? We'll have to wait and see.

Yamato and Kaido finally cross paths. This is gonna be juicy. I've been anticipating their flashback(s) since last year.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
King is such a nothing character right now so I'm invoking the power of complaining to give him some character next chapter.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
So do we figure that Law's crew can hear Luffy because someone on the crew has VOAT or can other people just hear Luffy if they're close?

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sanji saving Chopper and reassuring him of Luffy's return reminded of when he saved Usopp from Jabra and said this:
EUo5_W-XsAAAXHy.jpg
I love moments like these for Sanji. Helping and fighting for his crew really brings out the best of his character.

Really enjoyed this chapter. Yamato vs Kaido hype is great, hopefully we get a DF reveal soon. I'm mostly curious about how Luffy was talking to others underwater, whether it was the voice of all things like others here have said or not.

Aug 12, 2019
King is such a nothing character right now so I'm invoking the power of complaining to give him some character next chapter.

Yeah, I don't think I'd be pushing King vs Zoro nearly as hard if it wasn't for the fact that King is barely ahead Who's Who in terms of character moments whose appeared on panel for all of like 10 pages total maybe. It's going to be wild if he never gets anything and just gets largely off screened by Marco while Jack has been setup as at threat for 200+ chapters and Queen has been chewing the scenery through most of Wano.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
What's the prediction on where Izo and Kawamatsu will be? They were right beside Sanji originally.
Maybe with some scabbards freed up it would actually make sense for some of the big mom pirates to enter?

Status
Not open for further replies.