• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Went in a loop so far from h'annit to primrose, two more to go.

Had H'annit/Ophelia/Primrose/Tressa for her dungeon along with Tressa's mom and some random old man running a conga line through her dungeon, lol.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
Is it a mistake to be dueling/knocking out NPCs as Olberic? No idea if they will ever wake up to allow me to do other interactions with other characters.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Started out with Cyrus, his magic is a beast. Story-wise I've enjoyed Primrose the most by far. Octopath Traveler is a great example where you can argue that emotions can also be created with 2D graphics and sprites as good as with the most modern assets. Other stories weren't nearly as good but I'll be curious to find out about each party member's future path. Was glad to read something about interaction and dialogue between the party members in this thread, because I was already fearing a Dragon Quest IX experience in this regard.

Battle system is fun, too. I even died on my first few encounters, but the game gets easier with four party members. There seems to be a fair amount of specialization later on, so I'm looking forward to find my best party setup.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Finally got hold of a copy of the game. But what's up with this game? Every store I checked was sold out. Did this game got seriously undershipped to Europe or something?

Anyway, can't wait to sink my teeth in this game.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
Say that to my Ophilia who has nearly double the SP that Cyrus has and nearly the same HP as Olberic, can heal the party, revive all allies and summon help.

Ophilia is surprisingly one of my favourites in battle
My Alfyn has more HP than Olberic, can heal everything and everyone, replenish SP, and rez morons, simply by using cheap items and his brain.
He also has an axe and a skill called Amputation.

I rest my case.

Edit: oh and he's capable of humor and occasionally be interesting, something Ophilia can only dream of.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Stole all three of those Cat's Eye. They go for 20k each!

j1gqQux.jpg

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just finished the third prologue. While the stories are pretty standard fare I'm still having a blast and can't wait to play some more.

The one thing that is annoying me is the game isn't fully voiced. I wonder if this is due to the budget? I dunno but it takes me out of the game

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Who started with who?
I started with Ophila in the demo and transferred my data into the full game. Only 2 hours in and I'm thinkin bout switching (pun not intended) to another protag to start with.

Cyrus, and I'm glad I did. If I have to be forced to keep someone in my party make it the guy who can toggle the random encounter rate.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
got to 8 hours played last night

this game is amazing so far

almost have all 8 characters. they did a really good job with all the characters because whenever I have to pull someone to do another chapter 1 it's always a tough choice.

also so far the towns in this game are fantastic. variety of environments, varied layouts (loved bolderfall's north south setup and how it was nestled in the cliffs), lots of npcs. each town feels wholly distinct from one another in every aspect. every time I get to a town I just run around and talk to everyone and get a feel for the layout of the town. and of course the music.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Finally got hold of a copy of the game. But what's up with this game? Every store I checked was sold out. Did this game got seriously undershipped to Europe or something?

Anyway, can't wait to sink my teeth in this game.

Seems to be extremely popular, at least seems to be here in Ireland. Guys in GameStop told me it's been a big hit and even everyone who worked there loved it too.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wasting a lot of time with stealing the good stuff from people and save scumming if i should run out of tries :P

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Sounds like one of these Crash Bandicoot style sleeper hit releases

I completed Alfyn chapter one and it got a lot better. With two party members you get to have some options in conbat

I assumed at the end Alf and Zeph were boyfriends but I'm not sure if I read too much I to that relationship but they seem very close to just be 'friends'.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
DiEQw03U0AEXQg9.jpg

Played another three hours today and got all eight characters. This game is really, really good. I think I'm going to level all of them up to at least 20 and get better equipment and then do Chapter 2. BTW, what's a good solution to ensure Cyrus doesn't run out of SP as often as he does now? I don't like skipping character turns to use plums on him and Ophilia doesn't have any SP spells.
You can purchase/steal an accessory from Tressa's mother in Rippletide, it recovers 6 SP after every action. Costs about 17k and probably has a low chance to steal but it's really useful.

Her father sells a HP variant that recovers 100HP after every turn

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Seems to be extremely popular, at least seems to be here in Ireland. Guys in GameStop told me it's been a big hit and even everyone who worked there loved it too.
Same here in the Netherlands. I mean, I get the popularity on places like ResetERA, but to think that a game like this canb sell out is just weird to me. It's very cool of course, but weird.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
If I want to make another traveler join my party I have to switch characters from main menu or just hear their tale when I find them?

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Same here in the Netherlands. I mean, I get the popularity on places like ResetERA, but to think that a game like this can sell out is just weird to me. It's very cool of course, but weird.

If you go on twitter right now there are people complaining about the game being in short supply everywhere. Germany, UK, Australia, it's going crazy.

The Japanese Octopath Traveler account also just posted a message apologising for the shortages in Japan.

The thirst is real.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
DiEQw03U0AEXQg9.jpg

Played another three hours today and got all eight characters. This game is really, really good. I think I'm going to level all of them up to at least 20 and get better equipment and then do Chapter 2. BTW, what's a good solution to ensure Cyrus doesn't run out of SP as often as he does now? I don't like skipping character turns to use plums on him and Ophilia doesn't have any SP spells.
I switch party all the time and I found that Therion / Thief is a good partner. He's naturally fast so usually moves before Cyrus. Just learn Give / Steal SP and alternate.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Is it actually worth scrutinizing everybody? what do you really gain? I see some hidden item here and there but that's about it.
Also should i be challenging everybody?

And lastly, is the side quest meant to be this vague, or are there any hints that i'm missing.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
If you go on twitter right now there are people complaining about the game being in short supply everywhere. Germany, UK, Australia, it's going crazy.

The Japanese Octopath Traveler account also just posted a message apologising for the shortages in Japan.

The thirst is real.
I love the message the shortage sends out. Would love to have more games like this hehe :)

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Is it actually worth scrutinizing everybody? what do you really gain? I see some hidden item here and there but that's about it.

And lastly, is the side quest meant to be this vague, or are there any hints that i'm missing.
Through Scrutinzing you usually find hidden items, important information you need to complete quests, discounts at the inn, bonuses to stealing, alluring, trading ect. Plus sometimes just some cool info too

Through Scrutinzing in Rippletide I got the Haggle bonus for example, which has saved me thousands when buying stuff with Tressa

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Just got my first job as a Hunter, too bad i had to stop for now. Was very interested in seeing how it plays out

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Through Scrutinzing you usually find hidden items, important information you need to complete quests, discounts at the inn, bonuses to stealing, alluring, trading ect. Plus sometimes just some cool info too

Through Scrutinzing in Rippletide I got the Haggle bonus for example, which has saved me thousands when buying stuff with Tressa
That make sense! Thanks!
I'm still curious if I should be knocking out everybody in the town... and I'm kind of having trouble completing most of the side quest.
I think I will proceed with the story first, now going to my 5th chapter 1, such a charming, fantastic game.

Parshias

Oct 25, 2017

I think scrutinize is mostly for some extra flavor. If you don't care about talking to absolutely everyone then it probably won't make a difference to you.

Though it does provide some fun extra details. I saw an example on reddit where the scrutinize description mentions that an old lady is a widow who holds on to her fisherman husband's spear as a memento... a spear that you can steal from her with Therion, lol.

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
how do you recruit 6 characters with only level 10? I am doing 3rd character's chapter 1 and my Tressa is level 13 already...

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love how open ended quests are, and that the way you solve them really change the lives of the NPC characters.

so there is quest where a rich guy is looking for a painter he loves. It's from Cyrus' town and I always remembered it and kept looking for paintings to buy. Even bought a painting for 20k thinking it was it but nope. Then I randomly found the painter by a river and both bought the painting and brought him with me. When talking to the rich guy I could both give him the painting or introduce the artist. Introducing the artist made him able to continue painting, which wouldn't have been the case if I just gave the painting. Dialogue was great too.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
That make sense! Thanks!
I'm still curious if I should be knocking out everybody in the town... and I'm kind of having trouble completing most of the side quest.
I think I will proceed with the story first, now going to my 5th chapter 1, such a charming, fantastic game.
Challenge and Provoke are definitely the least useful, they are only really useful for completing quests where someone needs to get knocked out because they are harassing someone or something like that, or for when someone is blocking a door and you want to get past.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And yeah, I've discovered a lot of side quest information by scrutinizing. It's pretty essential. I love how path actions are balanced in this game.

Challenge and Provoke are definitely the least useful, they are only really useful for completing quests where someone needs to get knocked out because they are harassing someone or something like that, or for when someone is blocking a door and you want to get past.

I know at least one sidequest where you have to lose a Challenge, lol. It's fun all the stuff they come up with for the path actions.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
I think scrutinize is mostly for some extra flavor. If you don't care about talking to absolutely everyone then it probably won't make a difference to you.

Though it does provide some fun extra details. I saw an example on reddit where the scrutinize description mentions that an old lady is a widow who holds on to her fisherman husband's spear as a memento... a spear that you can steal from her with Therion, lol.
Oh shit that's really cool.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
I just realized why Ophilia sounds so familiar, she's the voice of Miraculous Ladybug!

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Who started with who?
I started with Ophila in the demo and transferred my data into the full game. Only 2 hours in and I'm thinkin bout switching (pun not intended) to another protag to start with.
Started as Olberic and dude is a fucking tank. At like 1000hp already at level 14 and enemies don't seem to damage him much. Gear really makes the characters.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

You want to be scrutinizing (or Alfyn's equivalent which can't fail but is LV-based) everything. Besides the interesting backstories and hidden items, you sometimes gain special information that shows up in your inventory & can be used in quests, as well as bonuses that affect the town like "Stealing is easier" and "The store has new equipment." Challenging, on the other hand, you only need to do it when it's the solution to a quest or if the character is blocking a door.

Saw some complaints about needing to grind from reviewers and I'm not seeing it as long as you're thorough with sidequests & exploration and aren't OCD about keeping trying to keep everybody's LVs even. I thought I'd go around unlocking the secondary jobs before doing chapter 2 and I'm already in my mid-20s on my main party.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I've said it before and the need to grind was vastly overblown. If you take full advantage of the systems in the game you are fine. My main Cyrus is lvl 30 now and I've just been doing sidequests since completing chapter 1's.