• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sea of Thieves
Ni no Kuni II
Assassin's Creed Rogue Remastered
A Way Out
Detective Pikachu

All the new releases to watch out for tomorrow.

Edit - Added Detective Pikachu

Last edited:

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
SoT must have cost more than the others combined, I'll be shocked if it's not number 1 by a good margin.

Grads

Oct 25, 2017
France Week 11
1Kirby star allies
2 Mario Kart 8
3 Mario Odyssey
4 Zelda BotW
5 Splatoon 2

Paronth

Oct 25, 2017
UK Week 12

1 Sea of Thieves
2 A Way Out
3 Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
4 Assassin's Creed Rogue Remastered
5 FIFA 2018
6 Burnout Paradise Remastered
7 Grand Theft Auto V
8 EA Sports UFC
9 Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
10 Super Mario Odyssey

Despite four new games in the Top Five, it's not been a very strong week for the UK boxed games industry.

Data tracker GfK revealed that the six new games in the entire Top 40 this week sold fewer units than the single new release that arrived in the charts this time last year, which was Mass Effect Andromeda.

But the data doesn't paint the full picture.

Take, for instance, the No.1 game - Sea of Thieves. The Rare title was an online-only game for PC and Xbox One, so will likely have had a slightly higher digital weighting compared with non-online titles (remember, GfK data does not include download numbers). In addition, for those that utilise the free Xbox Game Pass trial, they can play the game for a period of time for free. What will be a test is whether the numbers remain healthy beyond the launch window when that free trial comes to an end.

Sea of Thieves is Rare's second No.1 in a row, following 2015's Rare Replay. The previous time the acclaimed UK studio topped the charts was in 1998 with Banjo-Kazooie.

The No.2 game of the week, also a new IP, was A Way Out by EA. The game is also an online title, and also featured a free trial option where gamers could play the title for free if a friend owned it. Once again, it'll be interested to see if those free trials turn into game sales further down the line.

Other new titles in the charts includes Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom by Bandai Namco, which made No.3 in the charts. The PS4 and PC game was the second highest grossing game of the week. Partially due to the lower price of A Way Out, but also because of the high cost and popularity of Ni No Kuni's special edition. Roughly a third of the game's sales were of the £140 SKU.

We don't have the numbers for Mass Effect Andromeda but it sold less than 102k.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-03-26-sea-of-thieves-sails-to-no-1-in-uk-charts

Oct 25, 2017

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damn that Mass Effect comparison is rough. I know digital and Game Pass and none of those games are anywhere near as big as Mass Effect but still. Hard to say if any did well really based off of just that.

Feb 26, 2018

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
mostly holds after new games.
ufc jumped back above mario and kart.

wonder how close that 5-10 range is in general

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Damn that Mass Effect comparison is rough. I know digital and Game Pass and none of those games are anywhere near as big as Mass Effect but still. Hard to say if any did well really based off of just that.

Am I reading it correctly that all 6 six new games combined sold less than what Andromeda did last year?

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Mass Effect Andromeda > Sea of Thieves + A Way Out + Ni No Kuni II + Assassin's Creed Rogue + A.O.T 2 + Detective Pikachu
Is very telling of how little charts positions say about real numbers this time in the year.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
UK Week 12

1 Sea of Thieves
2 A Way Out
3 Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
4 Assassin's Creed Rogue Remastered
5 FIFA 2018
6 Burnout Paradise Remastered
7 Grand Theft Auto V
8 EA Sports UFC
9 Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
10 Super Mario Odyssey

We don't have the numbers for Mass Effect Andromeda but it sold less than 102k.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-03-26-sea-of-thieves-sails-to-no-1-in-uk-charts

I'm surprised SoT took number 1 as I don't see many people buying it physically. Ni No Kunu II is even worse then, while releasing on two platforms?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Am I reading it correctly that all 6 six new games combined sold less than what Andromeda did last year?
At retail, yes. But you need to factor Sea of Thieves likely having a digital skew due to it being online only, also that it's on Game Pass. And then there's A Way Out which is guaranteed to hit EA Access in 6 months, hence why I haven't jumped in.

The market is changing and retailers will be the ones who suffer.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SoT has done well I'd say given they're > 1mill in 48 hrs. A good portion of that would've been sold, GS subs would be up etc. I honestly didn't expect SoT to be 1 with most likely to go digital.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Each year the digital portion of the cake grows, expect something like this happening more years to come. ME Andromeda was a big title of a very good seller franchise despite the shitstorm of it's launch. and it was multiplatform.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That means a lot! best MS selling game in UK this gen is Halo 5 at 150K first week.
So, if SoT at > 150K, then this is a really big number!
Nope. This is not what the tweet is about. Both statements are rather unrelated. First: SoT no. 1 in UK -> fact. The other one is a general statement not related to UK physical sales.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I find likely that SoT is the new best selling new franchise on the first week for MS. Is not like the last one (Quantum Break) sold tons of unit, but selling more than that is better than selling less.