• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
So just got a distressing phone call from my mom about how she was using her computer looking at her gmail account when she noticed the mouse was moving on it's own. It opened a new page and went to PayPal. She was confused but not alarmed, she put the computer to sleep. A bit later she turned the computer on and there was a webpage open for her bank.

she called the bank and PayPal and we're informed money was taken off of both. They put freezes on her account.

PayPal told her to change her password which she did....on the computer. She tries to sign on to PayPal and unsurprisingly the login info has been changed.

at this point she calls me in complete distress. I told her to unplug everything from the computer and turn off the router and to disconnect her phone from the WiFi and to get in contact with her credit cards to check for suspicious activity. Mom is on a fixed income so she's afraid of having what little money she has completely stolen.

anyone who has any kind of experience with this, what should be the next steps moving forward as far as the computer itself, getting further protections pertaining to her identity.

anything that can help is appreciated.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that protected my mom better than anything else was just getting her an iPad. Seriously, that was it. She used to have all sorts of issues with a PC and even a special Ubuntu netbook that I set up and simplified for her.

Now the worst thing that happens is that she forgets her Apple ID password when she needs to put it in every 6-8 months.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I'd recommend a first step to complete wipe and reinstall of the PC. With that kind of access you don't know what could be hidden in the system. Change every password, change every CC number, assume everything is compromised. Get credit monitoring, many banks and Credit cards offer it as a complimentary service these days, and watch for new accounts. Finally go over some security basics with your parents, teach them about phishing, how no one will ever contact them about a computer security issue, and to never click on unknown links and etc.

Voltaire

Sep 13, 2018
I would back up every important or irreplacable piece of data while air gapped and nuke it from orbit (complete reinstall of the OS) before reuse. And of course change every password on an other device.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Reinstall the OS. Make sure she calls you before she allows ANY "tech support" going forward.

The thing that protected my mom better than anything else was just getting her an iPad. Seriously, that was it. She used to have all sorts of issues with a PC and even a special Ubuntu netbook that I set up and simplified for her.

Now the worst thing that happens is that she forgets her Apple ID password when she needs to put it in every 6-8 months.

Can confirm. I would never advocate a MacBook or PC for someone with low computer literacy.

Get an iPad with a keyboard

OP
OP
melikefishnchips
Oct 27, 2017
Did your parents allow these scammers access to their computers previously?
not that I'm aware of. Computer is brand new. Bought it for her around Xmas. Never had any issues. I used the computer as of Saturday with no issues or concerns. Don't think she did anything on the computer yesterday.

She said she was clearing out a bunch of old emails on her gmail account. I can only imagine she opened something or clicked a link she shouldn't have or something that acted as a gateway I suppose?

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Same thing happened to me not too far back, best of luck

It was pretty much down to getting the financial institutions notified, wiping the computer, and changing the passwords on everything, which was actually beneficial for organizational and memory purposes, considering my mom had like a 200 page address book of handwritten passwords that had been scratched out, replaced, written in the margins, etc. over the course of like 15 years

Tsosie

Oct 28, 2017
Buffalo, New York
If she has a wireless network enabled, have her change the password for the network.

If you can wipe the computer that is the best option, however if your mother has a lot of documents saved to the computer (ie. pictures), this may not be possible. If wiping the computer is not possible then try the following steps:

Keep the computer offline and do some of the following:

Check her installed Programs -> Control Panel -> View By Small Icons -> Programs and Features -> Sort by "Installed On". This should give you/her an idea of any software that was installed recently. Uninstall anything that does not look legit and is recent.

Have her change her password to sign into the computer, most likely this is a Microsoft account, so help her enable 2 Factor Auth.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
The scary part is you don't know how long they have been in there. Just to be safe I would wipe it. You could bring it up offline to take some pictures/personal items off there and move them over to an external drive. I'd try to figure out how they got on there

This is the best solution. I lent my mom my ipad to see how she liked it and she bought one. Really hasn't had a computer issue since. You nailed it.. the Apple Id Password forget is the only thing that pops up. She has her apps and all her games and loves it. I want to make her password "IDon'tKnowWhatMyPasswordIs" but I'm not that mean lol.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Freeze their credit card accounts, notify the bank of fraudulent transactions, backup important files if applicable then do a clean reboot of the computer--drives and OS and all.

When this happened to me the hacker bought a phone off of my Google account, and Google said that the transaction was one that I made even though it obviously wasn't. So now my Google Payments account is suspended but thankfully my bank was able to do a chargeback.

To prevent this in the future, never download apps from sketchy websites. Usually downloads that involve clicking through multiple websites or even Google docs are very suspicious.

Another thing to note is, in my instance, when I scanned the app I was downloading it didn't bring up any viruses on MalwareBytes, so I proceeded to run it. Big mistake.

Change every password that could have been used on the computer after the reboot is done. Consider showing your parents Bitwarden or other password managers to make it easier--they could keep it on a mobile device if they wish.

It's scary and frustrating dealing with this situation, but hopefully it resolves quickly for you and your parents.

Last edited:

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
After resintall. Next Teach her how to use build in Window's Rapid Assistance to remote support her computer. From time to time you can check if windows defender updates and OS are updated. Very convenient tool. I use all the time.
Another thing is disable Chrome's "automatic download" that shit is evil.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017

We had a user with an iPad get a "Security Warning from Apple" They called the number and the scammers asked for payment to "fix" it.

OPs parents most likely gave access to someone similar before.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
You may want to call experian or something and put a fraud alert/freeze on her credit, not just a single card or account.

You don't want someone taking out a loan in her name.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I've had to tell my parents multiple times that calls from "Microsoft" are complete bunk and call me up if they have computer issues.

Thank the lord for Teamviewer.

OP
OP
melikefishnchips
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for all the advice everyone.
Your mother didn't enable 2FA on Paypal and bank?

I honestly can't even say for sure. What I can say is that my mom has auto login for all her stuff through chrome. So if they had access to the computer, it wouldn't even be an issue for them to just go around to various bookmarks she has and instantly login and do damage
I'd recommend a first step to complete wipe and reinstall of the PC. With that kind of access you don't know what could be hidden in the system. Change every password, change every CC number, assume everything is compromised. Get credit monitoring, many banks and Credit cards offer it as a complimentary service these days, and watch for new accounts. Finally go over some security basics with your parents, teach them about phishing, how no one will ever contact them about a computer security issue, and to never click on unknown links and etc.
I had her call up all her credit cards and put holds on all of them. Seems like PayPal and the bank account were the only things touched. Couple hundred dollars each but both places said they investigate and work to get the money back to her within 10 days or so.

my major concern is them digging in her files and getting very sensitive information and this escalating into more severe case of identity fraud.

Back up data, format and reinstall windows. Then lock that shit down.
I had her disconnect everything
from the computer. I'll go home and backup what I can. If I format everything and basically get everything back to factory setting, is that enough to move forward with new virus protection and not feel like there will be any remnants from this breach.

at this point my mom is spooked and doesn't even want to the computer anymore so it's gonna be hard convincing her that things are fine if I don't just dumpster the whole thing.

Same thing happened to me not too far back, best of luck

It was pretty much down to getting the financial institutions notified, wiping the computer, and changing the passwords on everything, which was actually beneficial for organizational and memory purposes, considering my mom had like a 200 page address book of handwritten passwords that had been scratched out, replaced, written in the margins, etc. over the course of like 15 years
thanks for the insight. I'll check the thread when I get a chance. Currently stuck at work.
If she has a wireless network enabled, have her change the password for the network.

If you can wipe the computer that is the best option, however if your mother has a lot of documents saved to the computer (ie. pictures), this may not be possible. If wiping the computer is not possible then try the following steps:

Keep the computer offline and do some of the following:

Check her installed Programs -> Control Panel -> View By Small Icons -> Programs and Features -> Sort by "Installed On". This should give you/her an idea of any software that was installed recently. Uninstall anything that does not look legit and is recent.

Have her change her password to sign into the computer, most likely this is a Microsoft account, so help her enable 2 Factor Auth.
I'm definitely gonna wipe everything. I'll check offline to see if there were any recently installed programs before I do. I'll change the password for the WiFi as well. Should I be concerned this may be a bigger breach than just the computer itself? I'm mildly concerned because we have another computer in the house that I use that's connected to the same network. That computer is on but asleep so I'm worried if I need to treat that as compromised as well.
Freeze their credit card accounts, notify the bank of fraudulent transactions, backup important files if applicable then do a clean reboot of the computer--drives and OS and all.

When this happened to me the hacker bought a phone off of my Google account, and Google said that the transaction was one that I made even though it obviously wasn't. So now my Google Payments account is suspended but thankfully my bank was able to do a chargeback.

To prevent this in the future, never download apps from sketchy websites. Usually downloads that involve clicking through multiple websites or even Google docs are very suspicious.

Another thing to note is, in my instance, when I scanned the app I was downloading it didn't bring up any viruses on MalwareBytes, so I proceeded to run it. Big mistake.

Change every password that could have been used on the computer after the reboot is done. Consider showing your parents Bitwarden or other password managers to make it easier--they could keep it on a mobile device if they wish.

It's scary and frustrating dealing with this situation, but hopefully it resolves quickly for you and your parents.
thanks. I really appreciate it. I really don't know what my mom did or could have did. She claims she was just checking her email and then it happened. I'm inclined to believe she clicked on something in an email that she shouldn't have that caused this to happen.
The most common cause of this sort of attack is that your parents would have voluntarily consented to giving control of their computer to someone who called on the phone claiming to be tech support from Microsoft. By far the most important thing you can do to mitigate this going forward is telling her not to do this ever.
ive definitely talked to her about scam phone calls. She said as all this was happening she was getting repeated phone calls from a number in California but she didn't answer (we live in NYC)

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I had a very close with a combination of TeamViewer and LastPass set to auto sign in.

after I managed to avoid losing shit, I made sure to enable 2FA on everything and disabled auto sign in.

for your specific computer I'd turn Off the WiFi router then so scans of the computer. Potentially a full reset/reinstall of windows. Set up 2FA on everything, change passwords on everything (using a password manager to encourage complex and unique passwords)

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
The most common cause of this sort of attack is that your parents would have voluntarily consented to giving control of their computer to someone who called on the phone claiming to be tech support from Microsoft. By far the most important thing you can do to mitigate this going forward is telling her not to do this ever.

My money is on this, too.

If it was a Trojan installed via malvertising or a phishing email or the like, they'd just grab the cached passwords outta Chrome using admin access and powershell or whatever. Or the module of the malware equipped for it.

Most of the time you aren't gonna use something as clunky as remote access just to grab some passwords and money. That's what password stealers are for. If they get your email account passwords and your banking password that is pretty much what they need, since most 2-factor lets you access with email, also.

(I do malware analysis and detection for a living).

You really need to make sure she didn't get a "tech support" call or the "your computer is infected" scam call. Otherwise this will just happen again.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Reformat hard drive and reinstall Windows
Install Firefox and make it the default browser Install uBlock Origin on all browsers
Change passwords on all accounts and enable 2FA wherever possible
Change the settings in all web browsers to never save login information
Install a password manager like Bitwarden

Kung Fucius

Jun 28, 2019
Some people here are recommending that the OP's mother switch to an Ipad. Would a chromebook also be a good recommendation for a case such as this? I have a dad who's getting kinda up there in years and I worry something like this is going to happen to him.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I honestly can't even say for sure. What I can say is that my mom has auto login for all her stuff through chrome. So if they had access to the computer, it wouldn't even be an issue for them to just go around to various bookmarks she has and instantly login and do damage

Well, that's explain everything. Just letting her know that she needs to uncheck auto-login for good deeds. If she can't do it because of lazy, just get a good app of Bitwarren. Think of its as a 1Password but for website so you can check it out for yourself.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I had so many calls from John Smith working for Microsoft. Those guys don't give up.

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
edit: My computer got hacked when I was 12 over a Xbox Live code scam and I had Lemon Party shock image posted all over my desktop. I just realized it was an actual term and not just the name of the image. I was not at a Lemon Party.

Last edited:

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Had this happen to an older lady that worked across the street from me. She clicked on a phishing email and people claiming to be from Microsoft took control of her computer. They locked her computer and were asking for $500 to unlock it. I got her to hang up on them and unplug her computer from the internet. Luckily I was able to get into her computer using a system restore.

The fact that they basically had free reign on her computer is worrying. You need to go into Chrome Settings and see what websites have autofill linked. You need to change the password to all of them. Also if you don't want to do a reinstall of windows I highly recommend running something like Malwarebytes because you don't know if they left any keyloggers behind.

Also change her email password because that's most likely how they were able to change her paypal.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I had her disconnect everything
from the computer. I'll go home and backup what I can. If I format everything and basically get everything back to factory setting, is that enough to move forward with new virus protection and not feel like there will be any remnants from this breach.

at this point my mom is spooked and doesn't even want to the computer anymore so it's gonna be hard convincing her that things are fine if I don't just dumpster the whole thing.

Yes. Formatting is important cause they probably installed A back door. This will ensure that that is wiped from the system.

I recommend locking it down with a good AV and TELL THEM NOT TO CLICK ON EVERY SINGLE THING THAT TELLS THEM THEY WILL "FIX" THEIR COMPUTER" can not stress this enough. The elderly need to learn that not everything they click on is helpful. Instruct them that there is no way a website can know if your computer has viruses or malware. Instruct them never to let anyone remote in on their computer unless they know who they are or are from a reputable support group. Instruct them not to install "tools" that are supposed to find problems and fix them. This isnt an issue anymore with modern systems and OS's.

I worked for a small IT firm and had to deal with this every damn day with the elderly. They need to learn what is dangerous to click on ect. They need to learn the facts on how a website can not possibly know what's wrong with your computer. Teaching is the best defense against this in the future.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

This is a good idea.

At the very least, set them up with a restricted privilege account and lock any installations to the Windows or Mac app stores and set auto-updates.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Personally, I would backup any photos you wanna keep or whatever and then format that harddrive and start from scratch.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's already been said. Disconnect from WiFi so they can't control it or see it anymore and immediately call the bank, make sure nothing has been taken already, make sure nothing can be. And I'll second the iPad suggestions.

Gonna have to reformat and build that computer from the ground up with all new passwords now.

OP
OP
melikefishnchips
Oct 27, 2017
You may want to call experian or something and put a fraud alert/freeze on her credit, not just a single card or account.

You don't want someone taking out a loan in her name.
yeah I'm definitely gonna walk her through this.
My money is on this, too.

If it was a Trojan installed via malvertising or a phishing email or the like, they'd just grab the cached passwords outta Chrome using admin access and powershell or whatever. Or the module of the malware equipped for it.

Most of the time you aren't gonna use something as clunky as remote access just to grab some passwords and money. That's what password stealers are for. If they get your email account passwords and your banking password that is pretty much what they need, since most 2-factor lets you access with email, also.

(I do malware analysis and detection for a living).

You really need to make sure she didn't get a "tech support" call or the "your computer is infected" scam call. Otherwise this will just happen again.
the whole remote access thing immediately struck me as odd. I'm no tech guru but the idea of someone physically taking over control of the computer remotely just seems so rudimentary? I know everyone is suggesting she was probably socially engineered into having this happen. I'm not ruling it out. It's very much possible she may be too embarrassed to admit that's what happened if it did. She's definitely having one of those "I never thought this would happen to me until it does" feelings.
Well, that's explain everything. Just letting her know that she needs to uncheck auto-login for good deeds. If she can't do it because of lazy, just get a good app of Bitwarren. Think of its as a 1Password but for website so you can check it out for yourself.
appreciate all the suggestions about bitwarden. Definitely gonna check it out.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Should I have her nuke her gmail accout?
Password change and 2FA should be enough, but do this from a different machine. Don't use the one that's being monitored. Don't sign in on the affected computer until you're sure no one is capturing keystrokes.

It may be worth buying your parents a yubikey to secure their Google accounts. That way their credentials are a thing and can be treated like a car key. They won't need to worry about juggling passwords or recovery codes or whatever else.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Password change and 2FA should be enough, but do this from a different machine. Don't use the one that's being monitored. Don't sign in on the affected computer until you're sure no one is capturing keystrokes.
My reason being that if she was targeted through email, she'll continue to get phishing emails.

I'd just stop using that account, create a new one, and make it clear not to share it with anyone.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
My reason being that if she was targeted through email, she'll continue to get phishing emails.

I'd just stop using that account, create a new one, and make it clear not to share it with anyone.
I'd be concerned that the email change would provide a false sense of security. Phishing emails aren't going to not be sent to a new address.

melikefishnchips Where was the money sent to?

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be concerned that the email change would provide a false sense of security. Phishing emails aren't going to not be sent to a new address.
True, it depends on the situation I guess. My dad's email was being flooded with phishing that wasn't being flagged as junk. The majority of his inbox was spam, so burning that account was the best option.

OP
OP
melikefishnchips
Oct 27, 2017

It may be worth buying your parents a yubikey to secure their Google accounts. That way their credentials are a thing and can be treated like a car key. They won't need to worry about juggling passwords or recovery codes or whatever else.
I never heard of this but i'll give it a look.

melikefishnchips Where was the money sent to?
They took money from her paypal account and logged into bestbuy under her account and purchased airpods and a $100 playstation gift card. I'm assuming the gift card is what they were really after because they put that the airpods would be pick up at our nearest best buy. She was able to cancel the order from best buy for the airpods but i'm not sure if they used the gift card and if that's long gone already. Not entirely sure how best buy handles gift cards. Says they deliver through email but it seems like my mom never got one although im sure you probably could access it directly through the best buy account.

They then took some money out of her bank account by creating a zelle account. A verification email was sent to her gmail. Looking at her gmail activity, there's no other login attempts from from a different computer or location and the money was transferred so they must've just looked at her email when they had remote access to the computer. Can't tell you where the money was sent to because the bank has already locked down the account.

I changed her email passwords and set up 2FA using her phone (non wifi) We have another computer in the house (the one i'm using now) Didn't want to do anything on here as i'm not sure how concerned i should be that I could be compromised given this computer is on the same network. The affected computer is completely disconnected and offline for the night. Gonna back up what i can tomorrow, see what i can suss out to see if there were any programs installed and then format the whole thing

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
It blows my mind that anyone falls for this stuff in 2021. At least anyone under 60 that is.

Having said that, I've now had to get at least 5 people out of these situations, one being a family member that is 35. 🤦‍♂️

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I would back up every important or irreplacable piece of data while air gapped and nuke it from orbit (complete reinstall of the OS) before reuse. And of course change every password on an other device.
Yep, shut down the computer. Attach the drive as secondary and make sure to have AV active before attaching. And yes, off network.

Nuke LS from orbit after grabbing the files. Hell, reflash the bios on the motherboard just in case (admit this is paranoid).

Immediately have parents change all their passwords they might have accessed from there including one for Password Manager if they use that.

Call banks, PayPal, etc to change credentials andake sure MFA is on. Get them a Mac or even iPad instead of a full PC if that's an option. Maybe Chromebook?

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry OP, I hope you have made sure your parents perform regular backups of important things like photos and whatever. I would nuke that computer and clean install.

Read above about getting computer illiterate relatives an iPad, I would definitely concur. Things like the mouse moving by itself and navigating to PayPal should be obvious alarm bells and if they didn't think that was an issue at the time, they shouldn't be using a PC.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
It blows my mind that anyone falls for this stuff in 2021. At least anyone under 60 that is.

Having said that, I've now had to get at least 5 people out of these situations, one being a family member that is 35. 🤦‍♂️

my sister scoffs at me when I tell her she needs to get more computer literate. She only uses her phone as a phone and a music playing device. She barely knows what she's doing on the PC, comparably to my mom who is 63 and figured out how to Zoom to teach relatively on her own. My sister who is 32 would definitely not be capable of that on her own. It's wild.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, shut down the computer. Attach the drive as secondary and make sure to have AV active before attaching. And yes, off network.

Nuke LS from orbit after grabbing the files. Hell, reflash the bios on the motherboard just in case (admit this is paranoid).

Immediately have parents change all their passwords they might have accessed from there including one for Password Manager if they use that.

Call banks, PayPal, etc to change credentials andake sure MFA is on. Get them a Mac or even iPad instead of a full PC if that's an option. Maybe Chromebook?

LS?

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
Years ago a surge hit our roku player and my dad calls the first number that pops up on google which happen to not be roku support. Story short some Indian country tells him the roku has a virus and he allows these dumb asses to remote into the pc and demand 500$.