• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 2, 2017
A mother and father have filed a lawsuit against Peloton claiming their three-year-old son sustained third-degree burns after he became trapped under the company's treadmill, according to court documents.

In the lawsuit, filed in New York State Supreme Court, Kings County on Thursday, Sarah Saadoun and Ygal Saadoun, allege that their son, who is only identified as "SS," "sustained third-degree burns to large parts of his body when a defective and dangerous treadmill" designed and sold by Peloton "trapped him under its continuously rotating belt" on 5 July 2020.

In addition to the injuries sustained by the toddler, his parents, who live in Brooklyn, New York, also claim the accident caused their son to experience "shock and emotional distress".

"He was in so much pain and was so scared," Ms Saadoun told The New York Post of the incident and the two-month recovery process. "Your heart breaks seeing your three-year-old son covered in burns and screaming in pain."

In the lawsuit, the Saadouns and their attorneys Jordan Merson and Nathan Werksman of Merson Law, PLLC, allege that Peloton should have known that the treadmill was "extremely and unreasonably dangerous, hazardous, and not reasonably safe for its intended purposes and foreseeable uses".

The complaint against Peloton and its Peloton Tread+ treadmill comes after the exercise company announced voluntary recalls of both its treadmills, the Tread and Tread+, in May 2021, after the machines were involved in the death of a child and numerous other reported injuries.

The recall was issued after the US Consumer Product Safety Commission(CPSC) warned consumers about the Tread+ treadmill in April, which initially prompted push-back from the company, with Peloton referring to the warnings as "inaccurate" and "misleading".

However, in a separate statement issued after the death of the six-year-old child, Peloton CEO John Foley had warned customers to keep children and pets away from the $4,200 machines.

According to the CPSC, in addition to the death of a six-year-old child, who was "pulled under the rear of the treadmill," Peloton received "72 reports of adult users, children, pets and/or objects being pulled under the rear of the treadmill, including 29 reports of injuries to children such as second- and third-degree abrasions, broken bones, and lacerations".

In a statement released alongside the recall, Foley admitted that the company had made a mistake with its "initial response to the Consumer Product Safety Commission's request that we recall the Tread+".

Under the terms of the recalls, consumers who purchased either product were instructed to immediately stop using the treadmills and contact Peloton for a full refund.

Owners of the Tread+ who did not want a refund were also given the option of having the treadmill moved free of charge to a room in their home that cannot be accessed by pets or children, while the company also said it was working to implement software that would automatically lock the device after use.

While speaking with The Independent, the family's attorney Mr Werksman said that the crux of the issue is that the Tread machines, which he described as "very dangerous," were "designed for in-home use" and that the company "knew it was going to be in homes with children around".

"As alleged in the lawsuit, Peloton sells a dangerous treadmill specifically designed to be used at home with children around that literally sucks kids underneath it without stopping. With this lawsuit, the Saadoun family hopes to recover for the trauma caused and raise awareness about the danger of Peloton treadmills," he added in a press release.

www.independent.co.uk

Parents sue Peloton after three-year-old child is burned by treadmill

Treadmills were recalled by exercise company in May 2021 following multiple reported injuries and one death

The images of the injured child are absolutely awful, poor kid.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
By all accounts the Peloton bikes are a good, well-liked product but man it sure seems to be one thing after another with these treadmills. Didn't they already result in at least one child's death too?

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I thought these treadmills could be folded when not in use from what I saw in their commercials?

Either way, it's pretty dumb to not have some way to child proof a fucking treadmill. Even the ones at my gym have a magnetic lock that must be removed before you can use it.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Awful and scary, I couldn't imagine something like that happening to one of my kids.

Is there a design or defect issue with the Peloton treadmills specifically that make them more dangerous? Treadmills have been around in homes for decades and I'd never heard of this happening until now.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
By all accounts the Peloton bikes are a good, well-liked product but man it sure seems to be one thing after another with these treadmills. Didn't they already result in at least one child's death too?
You go after the affluent market with premium products, the expectations are that much higher.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe now they'll put the damn safety cover at the end of the treadmill… instead of finding a way to force people into a paid membership.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Awful and scary, I couldn't imagine something like that happening to one of my kids.

Is there a design or defect issue with the Peloton treadmills specifically that make them more dangerous? Treadmills have been around in homes for decades and I'd never heard of this happening until now.
Pelaton treadmills are raised at the rear, just high enough that a small child can be dragged under by the power of the motorised belt. They are also huge, so rather than the lifestyle videos that have them with people living in homes the size of warehouses, many customers are only able to fit them in, say, the living room that is also a kids play area. At least, those are the two points I remember from the last thread on this topic.

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
Just looked up what they look like. Yep, looks like a death trap. Style over safety.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad the kid survived, but this is the problem with companies who like to play fast and loose because they think they're cool.

With the number of accidents reported, you'd think they would take more action about it.

Sir Charles

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
I own the Tread+ and have it locked up in our garage where I can keep the kids and pets out, have a cover over the tread with safety key out when not in use and have babygates all the way around it at all times. Not gonna lie, these stories still make me nervous and I'm still considering returning for a refund before the November deadline.

There's no reason at all they can't add a barrier to the back of the tread to prevent things from getting pulled under. Guess Peloton needs to lose more money on this ordeal to make it worth the expense to retro-fit these things.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
We had a treadmill growing up, and the belt was totally contained on both ends with just the top flat surface exposed. The worst you could get is a pinched finger. I just looked at a picture of these things, it's unbelievable that this design was allowed to go to market. OSHA wouldn't allow something like that on an assembly line.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Pelaton treadmills are raised at the rear, just high enough that a small child can be dragged under by the power of the motorised belt. They are also huge, so rather than the lifestyle videos that have them with people living in homes the size of warehouses, many customers are only able to fit them in, say, the living room that is also a kids play area. At least, those are the two points I remember from the last thread on this topic.

You know, after initial set of accidents, I have always wondered why was the product not redesigned to fit a skirt/flap/ramp like detachable extension (designated for pet and child protection) beyond the rear end of the treadmill to prevent further accidents?

Oct 25, 2017
So apparently they do have safety keys: Key can be worn and used for emergency stops while using the Tread+. Remove and store the key in a separate place when the Tread+ is not in use.

So how the hell is this thing doing what it's doing?

Isn't their design inline with other slat style treadmills?

truefitness.com

Stryker Slat Treadmill

The Stryker Slat Treadmill features vulcanized rubber slats that are more durable and require less maintenance than conventional treadmills.

www.onepeloton.com

Peloton Tread Plus: Treadmill running made better

Enhance your running or walking with a slatted treadmill. The Peloton Tread+ slat belt provides a cushioned surface and a self-propelled option.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
You know, after initial set of accidents, I have always wondered why was the product not redesigned to fit a skirt/flap/ramp like detachable extension (designated for pet and child protection) beyond the rear end of the treadmill to prevent further accidents?
No idea. Perhaps it would affect a legal strategy where it would be a complete capitulation that their product wasn't safe, as opposed to a voluntary recall and their strategy of blaming parents for not keeping kids/pets away from the thing? Raw speculation on my part based on the below though.
The recall was issued after the US Consumer Product Safety Commission(CPSC) warned consumers about the Tread+ treadmill in April, which initially prompted push-back from the company, with Peloton referring to the warnings as "inaccurate" and "misleading".

However, in a separate statement issued after the death of the six-year-old child, Peloton CEO John Foley had warned customers to keep children and pets awayfrom the $4,200 machines.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
No idea. Perhaps it would affect a legal strategy where it would be a complete capitulation that their product wasn't safe, as opposed to a voluntary recall and their strategy of blaming parents for not keeping kids/pets away from the thing? Raw speculation on my part based on the below though.

Ah, protection of brand image over safety and pushing the onus of responsibility to overcome faulty design on to consumers - tale as old as capitalist time.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
So apparently they do have safety keys: Key can be worn and used for emergency stops while using the Tread+. Remove and store the key in a separate place when the Tread+ is not in use.

So how the hell is this thing doing what it's doing?

Isn't their design inline with other slat style treadmills?

truefitness.com

Stryker Slat Treadmill

The Stryker Slat Treadmill features vulcanized rubber slats that are more durable and require less maintenance than conventional treadmills.

www.onepeloton.com

Peloton Tread Plus: Treadmill running made better

Enhance your running or walking with a slatted treadmill. The Peloton Tread+ slat belt provides a cushioned surface and a self-propelled option.
Im not sure exactly what the difference between the models is (or if it's a combination of factors), but it's illustrated here:
www.google.co.uk

Peloton has recalled its Tread+ running machine. There are 2 ways it's different from other treadmills and potentially more dangerous, according to US regulators.

Peloton recalled its $4,295 Tread+ running machine on Wednesday following reports that a child died and others were injured while it was operating.
According the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, the independent federal agency that issued the warning about the treadmill, some of the machine's design features make it "particularly dangerous" to use. Specifically, the agency highlighted potential problems with the height of machine's base off the ground and well as the design of the running belt.

A spokesperson for CPSC previously told Insider that the agency was examining how the Tread+ differed from other treadmills on the market.

"We have had injuries reported concerning other treadmills but to date, we are unaware of this hazard pattern involving other treadmills. For example, many injuries involve sudden acceleration of the treadmill, which is not the issue here," the spokesperson said.

Thousands of accidents involving treadmills happen every year in the US. In 2019, there were 22,500 emergency-room visits related to treadmills, according to CPSC data reported by the Wall Street Journal.

Why is the Tread+ different from any other treadmill?
The CPSC shared a video alongside its warning about the Tread+ to demonstrate its safety concerns.

The footage showed two children playing, apparently unsupervised, on a Peloton Tread+. One of the children, who was playing with a ball at the rear of the machine, was sucked underneath while the treadmill's belt was moving. The child was eventually able to wriggle free.

Regulators have highlighted the space between the ground and the machine's base as potentially posing a safety risk. The following photograph shows the size of the gap between the base of the machine and the floor, which is apparently enough space for a child to be pulled underneath, according to the footage released by the CPSC.

Oct 25, 2017
Im not sure exactly what the difference between the models is (or if it's a combination of factors), but it's illustrated here:
www.google.co.uk

Peloton has recalled its Tread+ running machine. There are 2 ways it's different from other treadmills and potentially more dangerous, according to US regulators.

Peloton recalled its $4,295 Tread+ running machine on Wednesday following reports that a child died and others were injured while it was operating.

The only thing I can think of is they don't have any kind of anti seize detection. Meaning if enough force is applied to prevent the belt from moving it shuts down.

The one other tread I posted is similarly sized though a little shorter.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't know how this treadmill passed any kind of safety certification
I suspect the problem with the safety features of all of them is that they are entirely focused on the safety of the primary user- locks, detection to make sure you're still on it, etc etc. And nothing at all about small children and pets beyond 'keep them away'. The problem there is that, if you know to say 'keep them away', the next logical step is 'why?'. Which is then answered by 'because it's a really fast moving slatted belt that can drag kids under and it's at crawl level for rugrats'. And if you know enough to identify that, then yeah, that crawl space is an issue.

Slight tangent re. design principles and overlooked risk. Something similar exists with the car industry where of course, when selling a car, the safety of the driver and passengers are paramount. But as cars got bigger and higher, and the fashion for 4x4s as family, 'school run' cars in cities took off, suddenly school-age children were less likely to be knocked aside (which is obviously critical injury as it is) and more likely to be dragged under, as what the safety engineers didn't take into account was who was going to be buying them, what they would use them for, and how safe their safety measures were for others, particularly children. On the plus side now, years later, cars have way more cameras to increase vision of blind spots, which helps a lot, but I'm still uneasy about when I walk my kid off at school and half the parents are driving cars the size of a small tank. Incredibly safe for their offspring, which is why they bought it, not so much for anyone else.

Not the best link I can find to illustrate what I'm talking about at short notice but it'll do:

Front line of the 4x4 war zone (also known as the school run)

It's 8.50am in a prosperous corner of north London and the weekday routine of the school run is under attack. A man dressed as a lollipop attendant is charging at a Range Rover stationary at a zebra crossing, brandishing his placard at the stony-faced woman driver.

Apologies for the off-topic tangent here- my point is more one about how safety of bystanders is often ignored when selling a highly expensive, top-of-the-range, massive lifestyle piece of kit.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Why were children anywhere near these things?

they are clearly death traps
Surely the question is, why is the company selling devices that are 'clearly death traps'?

These things have multiple safety features to protect an adult user, but nothing to stop a curious child or pet from getting dragged underneath its elevation or to cut the power if that happens. Either one of those are simple fixes.

As alleged in the lawsuit, Peloton sells a dangerous treadmill specifically designed to be used at home with children around that literally sucks kids underneath it without stopping.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017
Mexico
I suspect the problem with the safety features of all of them is that they are entirely focused on the safety of the primary user- locks, detection to make sure you're still on it, etc etc. And nothing at all about small children and pets beyond 'keep them away'. The problem there is that, if you know to say 'keep them away', the next logical step is 'why?'. Which is then answered by 'because it's a really fast moving slatted belt that can drag kids under and it's at crawl level for rugrats'. And if you know enough to identify that, then yeah, that crawl space is an issue.

Slight tangent re. design principles and overlooked risk. Something similar exists with the car industry where of course, when selling a car, the safety of the driver and passengers are paramount. But as cars got bigger and higher, and the fashion for 4x4s as family, 'school run' cars in cities took off, suddenly school-age children were less likely to be knocked aside (which is obviously critical injury as it is) and more likely to be dragged under, as what the safety engineers didn't take into account was who was going to be buying them, what they would use them for, and how safe their safety measures were for others, particularly children. On the plus side now, years later, cars have way more cameras to increase vision of blind spots, which helps a lot, but I'm still uneasy about when I walk my kid off at school and half the parents are driving cars the size of a small tank. Incredibly safe for their offspring, which is why they bought it, not so much for anyone else.

Not the best link I can find to illustrate what I'm talking about at short notice but it'll do:

Front line of the 4x4 war zone (also known as the school run)

It's 8.50am in a prosperous corner of north London and the weekday routine of the school run is under attack. A man dressed as a lollipop attendant is charging at a Range Rover stationary at a zebra crossing, brandishing his placard at the stony-faced woman driver.

Apologies for the off-topic tangent here- my point is more one about how safety of bystanders is often ignored when selling a highly expensive, top-of-the-range, massive lifestyle piece of kit.

Yeah,I feel we have a problem with some safety standards for electrodomestics, in my work we test a lot of products but a lot of the safety is only a note in the instruction book or a visual warning but anything of this isn't gonna protect a child of having an accident

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I own the Tread+ and have it locked up in our garage where I can keep the kids and pets out, have a cover over the tread with safety key out when not in use and have babygates all the way around it at all times. Not gonna lie, these stories still make me nervous and I'm still considering returning for a refund before the November deadline.

There's no reason at all they can't add a barrier to the back of the tread to prevent things from getting pulled under. Guess Peloton needs to lose more money on this ordeal to make it worth the expense to retro-fit these things.
Are there similar treadmills in that price range that are safer? If you're within the deadline then you have the option to return this one and then use the money on a different treadmill.