• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 14192

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Forgoing the complex conversation wheel of previous BioWare games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age, Anthem will only allow for two dialogue choices in conversations. The two choices aren't aligned with a morality system of any kind, but do differ in tone slightly.

When asked why the system was simplified for Anthem, executive producer Mark Darrah replied, "We are showing this to an audience that is not used to these kind of decisions and conversations. We wanted to keep it simpler, but we also don't want to present you with any false choices."

Fort Tarsis is where you'll do most of the talking, and from a first-person perspective as opposed to the third-person javelin camera in the shared world. Conversations pull the player in close and provide supplemental information about who you're talking to, whether they're tied to a political faction, and whatever back story BioWare deems important

https://www.pcgamer.com/anthems-conversation-system-allows-for-two-dialogue-choices/
A bit sad seeing the wheel go, but maybe the writing will make up for it...

Last edited:

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, this seems far more of a third person shooter than an RPG so it makes sense that they'd simplify the conversation system

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
This game better play like a dream because it doesn't have anything else going for it

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least Bethesda pretended to offer more in fallout 4. Even pretending to be a RPG takes some effort. I'll stop there because it feels like I'm praising FO4 and that makes me queasy.

But like I said in the other thread this is just a continuation of Bioware's casualization of the genre that they started with Kotor. Their next game will probably drop this stuff altogether and just be a cinematic story or something.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
bored-asian-woman-sitting-around-hand-on-face-and-looking-distance-in-restaurant-cafe_nmxgidodx__F0000.png

Riveting

We wanted to keep it simpler, but we also don't want to present you with any false choices.

The benefit of the 2 choice system, I'll give them that.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I bet this is taken out of context.

We are showing this to an audience that is not used to these kind of decisions and conversations. We wanted to keep it simpler, but we also don't want to present you with any false choices.

keeping it simpler for the audience at pax west I reckon.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. 'Sure. I'm always up for killing some mcguffins.'

2. 'Fine. I'll kill some fucking mcguffins.'

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean this is a straight shooter game, wtf do people expect? This is not some traditional party RPG.

So there's nothing wrong with this.

Rathorial

Oct 28, 2017
Well then they better actually make those 2 options count I guess. Honestly, I'm still not expecting much for Anthem's story. I just hope the actual quest design and combat are continually fun, because that's usually all I need for a co-op game.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Why even bother with dialogue choices at all if it is just a slight difference in tone and no bearing at all.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
At least Bethesda pretended to offer more in fallout 4. Even pretending to be a RPG takes some effort. I'll stop there because it feels like I'm praising FO4 and that makes me queasy.

But like I said in the other thread this is just a continuation of Bioware's casualization of the genre that they started with Kotor. Their next game will probably drop this stuff altogether and just be a cinematic story or something.

We wanted to keep it simpler, but we also don't want to present you with any false choices.
If this is true, and the choice is impactful, it beats FO4, where all the choices were false.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You mean the game that is being advertised as an Action-RPG right?
Advertised how?? I know what I see with my own eyes in the trailers that have been shown. It's a straight shooter plain and simple.

I don't care what words they use to market the game. Use your own eyes and see it. Don't just listen to what a company says

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bioware has been trying to paint what is clearly a Destiny clone as a 'Bioware RPG' and i don't really see the point. Anyone who actually cares about that is not fooled by this nonsense. Just make what you wanna make and let the game speak for itself.

Deleted member 1105

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Advertised how?? I know what I see with my own eyes in the trailers that have been shown. It's a straight shooter plain and simple.

I don't care what words they use to market the game. Use your own eyes and see it. Don't just listen to what a company says

https://www.ea.com/games/anthem
"Anthem™ invites you to experience a cooperative Action-RPG set in a new and mysterious world from BioWare™ and EA."

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I should also point out that this choice has been the BioWare MO for a while. Most other dialogue options were usually expository.

DrMoguera

Oct 27, 2017
It's just really hard to muster up any enthusiasm for this game, and Bioware used to be one of my favorite developers of all time. I hope this game doesn't sink them and they can turn things around.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Whats the point of yes and sure? Come on now Bioware. Kinda sucks that this developer known for RPG's is pretty much not making RPG's at this point.