• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Why? The prospect of easily having something to watch during a workout as a distraction has very real benefits to one's ability to "tune out" an otherwise boring fitness regimen. Just because it's poorly (see: greedily) implemented here doesn't mean it's a bad concept overall.
When it comes to gym equipment less is better 99% of time, I say this as someone who worked at the gym.
You can tune out with a phone/mp3 player.

It's like when a fridge has WiFi.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I still find it incredulous that people would not only buy a incredibly over priced treadmill but then also pay a large sub fee on top of it.

You're paying for the classes. As a bike owner, I'll say there's a ton of variety (I'm guessing it's the same for the treadmill).
Or do what lots of people do and just sub on the app and use any treadmill/spin bike

opus

Oct 25, 2017
The treadmill was a bad design. My wife wanted one for our gym, but it wasn't practical because it didn't fold up like most treadmills do. But this is the latest in a long string of bad decisions by this company.

I've been considering letting the sub on my bike lapse, popping off the Peloton screen, mounting a regular LCD on there, and just using Apple Fitness instead. At least in that case, I can watch Netflix while I ride if I want to.

BMW getting ideas. Pay $75k for the vehicle but we require a $100/month membership to use the engine.

I mean, it wasn't that long ago when they were charging for CarPlay and Android Auto access.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
That's the whole point though. Their classes. Otherwise, you can get another treadmill.

What's funny is that you can get Peloton Digital (their tablet/phone subscription) and just use a regular treadmill too.
Their style of treadmill is relatively unique though--belt vs slats, so I could see why people would want to buy it for design alone. A quick search shows that most competitors are at least twice as expensive.

Oct 27, 2017

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Don't own the tread, but am a bike owner, and it makes little to no sense why they would do this? I can't imagine doing a just run would make the safety feature inaccessible?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Don't own the tread, but am a bike owner, and it makes little to no sense why they would do this? I can't imagine doing a just run would make the safety feature inaccessible?
Legal liability.

If you subscribe you agree to the TOS. If not you don't and they may be held liable for more injuries. Again, this is my speculation, but it sounds very lawyerly. Their rationale that is. Their lawyers are probably forcing this.

Oct 25, 2017
The treadmill was a bad design. My wife wanted one for our gym, but it wasn't practical because it didn't fold up like most treadmills do. But this is the latest in a long string of bad decisions by this company.

I've been considering letting the sub on my bike lapse, popping off the Peloton screen, mounting a regular LCD on there, and just using Apple Fitness instead. At least in that case, I can watch Netflix while I ride if I want to.

I mean, it wasn't that long ago when they were charging for CarPlay and Android Auto access.
I know, that's why I felt it wasn't much of a leap for them.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
But how does the Just Run feature impact the safety feature?
Because their treadmill was found to be unsafe. Recalls and all that. If you use it, it is now at your own risk, but how can they enforce that?

They probably weighed their options. Keep it at just run and, some gets hurt and they get sued. Or disable it completely and just refund the users individually with those non-subscription use cases.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Because their treadmill was found to be unsafe. Recalls and all that. If you use it, it is now at your own risk, but how can they enforce that?
In theory tread lock will be active until a class OR "Just Run" is chosen. If it's like the bike, you have to select "just ride" to start it. You don't just hop on and go. I imagine it is the same for the tread, so I don't get how "just run" needs to be removed in order for the lock to work.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
UPDATE:
www.theverge.com

Peloton forced its subscription plan on Tread+ owners, but claims a fix is coming

It seemed like the company was locking free users out.

They're citing technical limitations for this currently and they plan to address it shortly. I'm an engineer so I get that sometimes weird tech debt can result in seemingly ridiculous/malicious outcomes for consumers. This situation is exactly what product managers are for, if they knew this was the result of tech debt then their PR should have gotten waaay out ahead of this with more clarifying information.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
UPDATE:
www.theverge.com

Peloton forced its subscription plan on Tread+ owners, but claims a fix is coming

It seemed like the company was locking free users out.

They're citing technical limitations for this currently and they plan to address it shortly. I'm an engineer so I get that sometimes weird tech debt can result in seemingly ridiculous/malicious outcomes for consumers. This situation is exactly what product managers are for, if they knew this was the result of tech debt then their PR should have gotten waaay out ahead of this with more clarifying information.

Feels like a startup mistake tho.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they don't even throw in the subscription for the first 6-12 months is what really shocks me about Peloton.

I understand not giving people a lifetime subscription with each bike; you've gotta have a long-term revenue stream, after all. But not even offering a few complimentary months when we're talking about $2K+ pieces of equipment is just insane to me.

(Note to all: Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.)
3 months

The bike is really nice, and the classes are great and probably worth the subscription (especially if you have multiple people in your household using it).

This move is still awful.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Internet of Things

The promise: rainbows and unicorns

The reality: treadmills locked until you pay ransom and Texas power company controls your house temperature

real2

Jan 31, 2019
I own the bike and not the treadmill, but there's absolutely no reason to buy either if you aren't going to subscribe to the service. The whole selling point about Peloton are the classes/subscription model. Yes it's pricey, but for what (I personally) get, I think it's a great value although it doesn't hurt that I get a (small) stipend from my job for gym expenses.

That being said, I hope they reverse course on this. I haven't really kept up on the recall stuff since I don't own the tread, but if you don't have the subscription and don't plan on resubbing soon, no reason to keep the tread if you ask me.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
Feels like this is ripe for a class action. Taking away a core feature of the product with a software update? Scummy as hell.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. Is this feature still available for subscribers?

I'm pretty sure, cause looking at the original article and the update, it's not even really that the feature was outright removed for non-subscribers.

It's just that anyone using it now needs to have this "Tread Lock" password set first... and you can't set that if you don't subscribe, so you can't use the feature as a result. I'm with Aurongel on this; I can see how this sort of thing happens (need to rush out this change to restrict it ASAP but couldn't also make the lock widely available in time) but they still fucked up PR around it at best.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I own the bike and not the treadmill, but there's absolutely no reason to buy either if you aren't going to subscribe to the service. The whole selling point about Peloton are the classes/subscription model. Yes it's pricey, but for what (I personally) get, I think it's a great value although it doesn't hurt that I get a (small) stipend from my job for gym expenses.

That being said, I hope they reverse course on this. I haven't really kept up on the recall stuff since I don't own the tread, but if you don't have the subscription and don't plan on resubbing soon, no reason to keep the tread if you ask me.
Exactly how I feel as well. There are far cheaper bikes and treads if you want to ride/run but don't want to be tied to Peloton's classes/instructors.

add me on Peloton btw: j0gi1337 XD

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
Then get a full refund and buy something that doesn't need a subscription to work. Even if they allow free run again it seems shady as hell

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Legal liability.

If you subscribe you agree to the TOS. If not you don't and they may be held liable for more injuries. Again, this is my speculation, but it sounds very lawyerly. Their rationale that is. Their lawyers are probably forcing this.

Yeah, but you would think that they could just make a "Just Run" free tier. Yes, people likely bought this treadmill specifically for the full Peloton experience, but what if I suspend my membership for whatever reason? What if I wanted to cancel? What if I'm training for a marathon and only need to run for a few months?

On the plus side, one might be able to find a Peloton Tread for cheap on the secondhand market.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The move from one-time purchases of goods to subscription hellscapes, planned obsolescence / reduced self-servicability in lot of manufacturing, and many devices now connected on the 'internet-of-crap' with dubious privacy and security, has really drove home to me how important it is to be very selective in what I purchase. Not everything has to be high quality and durable, but now I have to be extra careful that these 'premium' brands aren't out to screw the consumer over at the first sign of trouble.

Peloton's atrocious treadmill that eats objects and small people alike, and the subsequent recall / subscription lockdown, is just a symptom of the problem. Rather than designing a quality product with safety in mind, their first instinct when something goes wrong is to leverage their power over these devices to render them inoperable unless you agree to a bunch of legalese designed to save them from liability -- power that they should have never had in the first place. We seriously need much stronger consumer protections for this sort of bullshit: right to repair, right to modify your own hardware as you see fit, and hell now even the right to operate goods that you own.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
I wonder if people can sue or if they will be forced into arbitration?

Last edited:

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Software As A Service - Microsoft Office // Adobe Creative Cloud : Makes sense, new features get added, old buggy features get removed/fixed
Games As A Service - MMOs // Live Service F2P games like Apex / Fortnite : Makes sense, new maps, game modes, characters, etc
Exercise As A Service - WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the 'we care deeply about our users' bullshit that it opens with.

I guess someone was bound to try this sort of thing with exercise equipment. They must figure they have the brand clout to not make people furious...which I very much doubt. People will be pissed.
wasn't there stories a couple of weeks back of kids being trapped underneath the treadmills? don't remember them recalling them.

Oct 29, 2017
Peloton seriously reminds me of Juicero from a few years back.

A needlessly overcomplicated ""redesign"" of something that already worked with a subscription model for absolutely no reason.

God that was such an idiotic product lmao. The nail in the coffin was when someone made a video of themselves cutting one of the Juicero bags and squeezing just as much juice out of the bag with their bare hand. The contents of the bag were already preprocessed to be a damp mush that made it really easy to squeeze juice out of, rendering the entire Juicero device, and therefore concept, completely useless.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Peloton owners have a LOT of disposable income, which means they can afford a hell of a legal team to set up a class action suit here. I bet this decision is reversed within 30 days.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Have you seen the commericals? Anyone with one of these is not concerned about their membership lapsing. Lol.

(Not literally of course.)