• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

Peloton is recalling its treadmills after one child died and 29 other children suffered from cuts, broken bones and other injuries from being pulled under the rear of the treadmill.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said Wednesday that Peloton received 72 reports of adults, kids, pets or other items, such as exercise balls, being pulled under the treadmill.

The recall comes after the safety commission warned last month that people with children or pets to immediately stop using Peloton treadmills and posted a video on YouTube of a child being pulled under the treadmill.

Peloton is best known for its stationary bikes, but it introduced the treadmill about three years ago and now calls it the Tread+. It costs more than $4,200.

Those who own the treadmill can get a full refund from Peloton by Nov. 6, 2022.

I'm not familiar with treadmills, but they've been around forever. What stupid design did Peloton leave out that makes theirs so much more dangerous?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not familiar with treadmills, but they've been around forever. What stupid design did Peloton leave out that makes theirs so much more dangerous?

I think their back-ends are exposed, and the safe alternative is to cover the back part so nothing can be pilled under. It reduces running space, however, which is likely why they didn't do it. The solution is to make the treadmill longer and cover the back curve.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
24VESEP5FFD4BHJH2NHHYXREQQ.jpg

I think it is due to their height off the ground being higher than most other units which allows for small children/pet to be pulled under.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oooof, should have done it before. Now the get the pr hit and still have to do a recall.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That one video of the child getting pulled under was pretty terrifying. Someone in the safety department really screwed up

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Treadmills in general are pretty fucking dangerous if used incorrectly.

But the risk of death is probably outside the norm of most treadmills.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
I think their back-ends are exposed, and the safe alternative is to cover the back part so nothing can be pilled under. It reduces running space, however, which is likely why they didn't do it. The solution is to make the treadmill longer and cover the back curve.
Pretty much. Form over function. And safety.
www.treadmillreviewguru.com

[WARNING] 5 Reasons the Peloton Tread+ Is NOT Safe for Kids, Small Pets

The Peloton Tread+ is a strong and powerful treadmill with individual slat belts that has many talking about safety concerns of this treadmill, as well as a warning from the FCPS.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Several.

The running surface is slatted, rather than being a single smooth belt, so that if something gets caught underneath it (more on that in a second) there's more than just friction being exerted on the trapped object; the gaps between the slats can capture skin etc.

The rear of the treadmill is open, which normally isn't a problem with a belt-driven system, but because Peloton's devices are raised off the floor, it's easy for things to get trapped and pulled under. The video the US regulators released showing a child getting pulled under happened from the rear of the treadmill, and it's a terrifying watch. Seriously, as a parent, I don't think any video has scared me that much.

There's no system to detect excessive torque / potential blockages, so when something does get pulled under the treadmill, the slats will continue to pull it further under - until either the machine gets lifted off the floor by the mass of the thing captured, or until the thing gets pushed out the other side.

Combined, these amount to a constantly-running tank track that's just high enough to grab children and pets, pull them under, and hold them there.

I want to be clear also that Peloton has a lot to answer for in terms of marketing gym-grade, dangerous devices to people who simply do not have the space to safely use them. All those design decisions are stupid and life-endangering, but they'd be less of a problem if Peloton only sold to commercial gyms. The video the regulators released showed one of these treadmills in the corner of a crowded lounge with two children playing on it. Obviously the parents are idiots for letting that happen, but Peloton's own marketing shows their hardware in people's communal living spaces - where it absolutely does not belong.

Mango Polo

Nov 2, 2017

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I have an old Nordictrack with a standard belt and the back end is exposed. It requires a key to operate though and I keep it hidden away because I'm sure my kids would do dumb shit with it. I wouldn't even use it if they were around.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Yea after that video they really should have stepped up and done the recall then. I dont even see one of those red safety cords that shut the thing down if its removed.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I have an old Nordictrack with a standard belt and the back end is exposed. It requires a key to operate though and I keep it hidden away because I'm sure my kids would do dumb shit with it. I wouldn't even use it if they were around.
The key difference is that, with a smooth belt, friction would be the only force pulling anything under from the back. With slats, there is actual grip.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
You get the sense Peloton originally resisted the recall because they didn't think families with young kids were a big market for their treadmills...

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
There's no system to detect excessive torque / potential blockages, so when something does get pulled under the treadmill, the slats will continue to pull it further under - until either the machine gets lifted off the floor by the mass of the thing captured, or until the thing gets pushed out the other side.
This is fucking insane. Are you fucking serious? There's no excessive torque monitoring? How did this ever get approved?

Oct 25, 2017

I think it is due to their height off the ground being higher than most other units which allows for small children/pet to be pulled under.

Yeah I don't think I've seen a treadmill before with the walking path that exposed as it loops around and that high off the ground.

How this wasn't caught is kind of crazy.

Salamando

Oct 25, 2017
Yea after that video they really should have stepped up and done the recall then. I dont even see one of those red safety cords that shut the thing down if its removed.
They have one, it's under the front horizontal handle thing, at about waist height. The entire red safety cord can be removed from the Peloton, acting as a key of sorts. Supposedly once all this started going down, running instructors began to instruct users to remove the key at the end of classes.

OP
OP
DrForester

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Several.

The running surface is slatted, rather than being a single smooth belt, so that if something gets caught underneath it (more on that in a second) there's more than just friction being exerted on the trapped object; the gaps between the slats can capture skin etc.

The rear of the treadmill is open, which normally isn't a problem with a belt-driven system, but because Peloton's devices are raised off the floor, it's easy for things to get trapped and pulled under. The video the US regulators released showing a child getting pulled under happened from the rear of the treadmill, and it's a terrifying watch. Seriously, as a parent, I don't think any video has scared me that much.

Combined, these amount to a constantly-running tank track that's just high enough to grab children and pets, pull them under, and hold them there.

I want to be clear also that Peloton has a lot to answer for in terms of marketing gym-grade, dangerous devices to people who simply do not have the space to safely use them. All those design decisions are stupid and life-endangering, but they'd be less of a problem if Peloton only sold to commercial gyms. The video the regulators released showed one of these treadmills in the corner of a crowded lounge with two children playing on it. Obviously the parents are idiots for letting that happen, but Peloton's own marketing shows their hardware in people's communal living spaces - where it absolutely does not belong.

Thanks for the answer. Not including a system to detect excess torque seems just criminally negligent. It's a $4000 machine, how does it not have all the bells and whistles.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
This is fucking insane. Are you fucking serious? There's no excessive torque monitoring? How did this ever get approved?
I should note that I'm only basing this on the video and a few articles written about it, but those certainly suggest that there's no system to detect when the belt is trapped on something and to cut the power.

There is a shut-off switch or key of some kind, but it has to be manually disabled.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
They have one, it's under the front horizontal handle thing, at about waist height. The entire red safety cord can be removed from the Peloton, acting as a key of sorts. Supposedly once all this started going down, running instructors began to instruct users to remove the key at the end of classes.
Oh okay, well thanks for clearing that up for me.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Yeah I don't think I've seen a treadmill before with the walking path that exposed as it loops around and that high off the ground.

I'm sure they knew those were safety features. Not to mention this saga has been going on with them for a couple of years now. They just thought form over function is the way to make the big money.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017

Because I suspect they weren't looking to primarily market it to families + kids. Look at their site and tell me the captive audience isn't a millennial.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they knew those were safety features. Not to mention this saga has been going on with them for a couple of years now. They just thought form over function is the way to make the big money.

Yeah, form over function for heavy fast moving exercise equipment isn't a good idea.

Because I suspect they weren't looking to primarily market it to families + kids. Look at their site and tell me the captive audience isn't a millennial.

But it's just common sense that while not for kids, they may be around the equipment same with pets.

Hearing the cost for these and the subscription I think their target audience is just rich people. I remember one of their ads having a Mom and daughter in it.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Peloton basically looked at everything that has been done over the years to make treadmills safer to use and ignored all of it. Another example of upstart tech companies jumping into an industry thinking they know more than their established competitors and failing to do their due diligence.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, remember, because while it's fun to dunk on Peloton because they're an awful company...

NO treadmills are safe for kids. NONE OF THEM.

If you have kids or pets, don't have them be in the room while you're using them.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Several.

In regard to what I bolded - it is insane that a system for that wasn't in place. In 2021.

I'm not familiar with Peleton but other treadmills I have seen require some sort of key or dongle to start them. Is that not the case anymore? Would solve a lot of the issues here. Keep the key elsewhere and its placement in the home isn't as much an issue.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
That video is messed up, jesus.

This'll happen with any treadmill that doesn't have a bar underneath. Flat out terrifying and the vast majority of them on the market. It's one of the most dangerous bits of equipment one can have in a home and something that is super easy to correct. I'm surprised it's not mandated at this point that the underside of the belt has to have a guard.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

It seems like it would be easy to send back pieces that affix to the end of the treadmill for existing owners. Like when Nintendo had to send wrist straps to existing Wii owners.

But, regardless, the solution to this is obvious. Hopefully everything is sorted out for existing Tread and Tread+ owners soon.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Geez, that video with the kid is rough and he escaped relatively unharmed. Probably just bruising and abrasions. I can see how that could easily go worse.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
In regard to what I bolded - it is insane that a system for that wasn't in place. In 2021.

I'm not familiar with Peleton but other treadmills I have seen require some sort of key or dongle to start them. Is that not the case anymore? Would solve a lot of the issues here. Keep the key elsewhere and its placement in the home isn't as much an issue.
I think there is a key needed to operate the Peloton treadmills, so that being available to unattended kids is clearly a massive parental failing. The issue, though, is the danger when it's in operation - which is heightened compared to regular treadmills for a variety of reasons.

I have a garage gym, and while I don't have a treadmill in it, I could have, and the door to it doesn't lock from the inside. So I could conceivably be running on a treadmill with headphones in, and have one of my kids come in behind me and get pulled underneath. That's not a problem that's exclusive to Peloton's design, but it's one that exacerbated and intensified by that design.

To be clear: the only safe commercial-grade gym equipment at home is gym equipment that's completely stowed, unpowered, inert, and locked away. When one parent is exercising, the other should have the children elsewhere in the house. But that doesn't remove the responsibility of equipment makers to build the safest devices they can within those limitations.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I wonder if it could even do much to detect excess torque given how fast it runs, it's likely that the forces of regular use are greater than the forces of it mauling something or someone.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017

Height doesn't matter, the torque of any treadmill has enough power to lift the thing off the ground and pull items under. If anything that height probably makes it safer because it's harder to get a young arm stuck underneath due to more clearance.

Such a simple fix to place a plastic cover half way up the belt wheel and carry it through the undercarriage.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Ya its amazing how fast a treadmill can turn into a belt sander under the right condition. Those things are no joke.