• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, remember, because while it's fun to dunk on Peloton because they're an awful company...

NO treadmills are safe for kids. NONE OF THEM.

If you have kids or pets, don't have them be in the room while you're using them.

They should add sensors to the legs to disable if they aren't both on the ground among other changes

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It seems like it would be easy to send back pieces that affix to the end of the treadmill for existing owners. Like when Nintendo had to send wrist straps to existing Wii owners.

But, regardless, the solution to this is obvious. Hopefully everything is sorted out for existing Tread and Tread+ owners soon.
I'm not sure that would work too well, a cover would essentially add a pinching hazard which combined with the slatting being able to grip onto fingers and such would turn into a blade. Though maybe it would be safer to just sever the fingers with a cover than to have the victim be dragged along by their broken fingers...

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure they knew but chose to do nothing about it until their hand was forced.

It looks like the Tread+ was modeled after the popular manual treadmill styles you see in boutique studios or CrossFit boxes like the Rouge TrueForm or the Assault AirRunner. But those are manual. And even the Rouge model has a little safety bar.

Whipwhopper

Oct 7, 2020
Treadmills eating people, huh
peloton.JPG

Salamando

Oct 25, 2017
In regard to what I bolded - it is insane that a system for that wasn't in place. In 2021.

I'm not familiar with Peleton but other treadmills I have seen require some sort of key or dongle to start them. Is that not the case anymore? Would solve a lot of the issues here. Keep the key elsewhere and its placement in the home isn't as much an issue.
The Peloton Tread's magnetic safety clip doubles as a key. If that thing isn't there, the tread isn't operating. There's still issues with placement though...placing it facing a wall creates a blindspot for child or pet to get injured when in use, doubly so if put in a common room. And a key is only useful if someone uses it religiously.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I'm confused on this, kids can get injured on ANY treadmill... Keep an eye on your kids.

I've never seen a child (or object, or adult) get pulled UNDER a treadmill while the treadmill's belt keeps moving. That's extremely unique.

I'm not sure that would work too well, a cover would essentially add a pinching hazard which combined with the slatting being able to grip onto fingers and such would turn into a blade. Though maybe it would be safer to just sever the fingers with a cover than to have the victim be dragged along by their broken fingers...

I didn't think about that. You're right. The product might have to be moderately redesigned.

If my $200 vacuum stops its brush roll from moving after something gets trapped, I would assume that a $2000+ treadmill should do the exact same thing.

Corran Horn

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, remember, because while it's fun to dunk on Peloton because they're an awful company...

NO treadmills are safe for kids. NONE OF THEM.

If you have kids or pets, don't have them be in the room while you're using them.

Yep. Although I have no idea if there are any safe ones but having a treadmill growing up we were told to basically close the door and make sure our pets were not in there.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
The Peloton Tread's magnetic safety clip doubles as a key. If that thing isn't there, the tread isn't operating. There's still issues with placement though...placing it facing a wall creates a blindspot for child or pet to get injured when in use, doubly so if put in a common room. And a key is only useful if someone uses it religiously.

No doubt. I only really know about the key as I have seen them in other peoples treadmills when visiting...which defeats the purpose of the feature.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I've never seen a child (or object, or adult) get pulled UNDER a treadmill while the treadmill's belt keeps moving. That's extremely unique.
It's actually not unique. It's only getting publicity because of how big the Peloton brand has become, usually most treadmills are made by crappy vendors and disappear. Tens of thousands of injuries on treadmills in the US have been reported in the US alone, including things like severed limbs. Death is uncommon but getting sucked under is not.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen some terrible videos but that was hard to watch. How the fuck do you release such a shit product

Jul 18, 2018
It's actually not unique. It's only getting publicity because of how big the Peloton brand has become, usually most treadmills are made by crappy vendors and disappear. Tens of thousands of injuries on treadmills in the US have been reported in the US alone, including things like severed limbs. Death is uncommon but getting sucked under is not.
Exactly. I guess one benefit of this is that at least Peloton will now have to create a super secure/safe treadmill, so at least there is one vendor you can possibly trust in near future?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen some terrible videos but that was hard to watch. How the fuck do you release such a shit product
That is easy, design for the upper middle class, career driven folks with despoible income, the usual blind spots that come from a lack of diversity in the room

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Why didn't they cover the bottom up some so no one can get pulled under like that? What a stupid fucking design choice.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
I used to have a treadmill. I loved it, used it ALL the time before the pandemic. But as soon as work from home and the kids were around all the time, I lost the ability to safely use it when the kids were asleep. They are absolutely NOT safe to use when kids are up and about. just too many moving parts where fingers, arms and bodies can get stuck.

Hopefully peloton stays in business after this, I do like their exercise programs and their bike is awesome, but this is a HUGE expense that they are now eating.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Duh Hell?
No, it was design for a market that doesn't have kids.
Plenty of middle class people have kids, in fact I'd probably argue the target market is those who have kids and don't have time to go to a gym.

Their mechanical design of the treadmill is not unique, this is a long standing problem.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That video is messed up, jesus.

The treadmill attempting to eat the kid isn't the parents' fault but please don't leave your kids unattended around exercise equipment. Even if these treadmills WEREN'T death machines those kids could've gotten hurt

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned this in the other thread, but the bike is no joke to use around kids either. Its front wheel of a 50-lb steel disc that spins at like 100 rpm. You definitely don't want to be riding with kids nearby.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
So I have until November 2022 for peloton to come out with a better/safer one and then I could just exchange for that I imagine? Unless they end all the treadmill classes and might as well get the refund.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
I mentioned this in the other thread, but the bike is no joke to use around kids either. Its front wheel of a 50-lb steel disc that spins at like 100 rpm. You definitely don't want to be riding with kids nearby.
Of course. Among other things like free weights and machines, there's a reason you can't bring kids to a gym.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Yep. It amazes me the amount of people that just have gym equipment in their living room or around the house with young children. All of my gear is in a room with a key lock so they can't get to it.

Practically all gym equipment is lethal with children. Even something like a TRX can launch a kid across the room or present a choking hazard.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Was having this argument some people in work today, of which a couple are Peloton owners. Yes the parents shouldn't be letting their kids near it, and should be taking the key out when not in use, but ultimately even the perfect parent has a lapse. My two year old already knows how to open doors, and will try to unlock the front door as well. She could easily get to me if I was exercising I'd she really wanted to. Meanwhile the same people who complain that this is bad parents fault, are probably the same people who complain about helicopter parents. Even for the "bad" parents, just because they are negligent doesn't mean their kid should die or be maimed when there are easy safety features that could be added to this thing.

Just bizarre to me to watch people bend over backwards for a company like this.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Was having this argument some people in work today, of which a couple are Peloton owners. Yes the parents shouldn't be letting their kids near it, and should be taking the key out when not in use, but ultimately even the perfect parent has a lapse. My two year old already knows how to open doors, and will try to unlock the front door as well. She could easily get to me if I was exercising I'd she really wanted to. Meanwhile the same people who complain that this is bad parents fault, are probably the same people who complain about helicopter parents. Even for the "bad" parents, just because they are negligent doesn't mean their kid should die or be maimed when there are easy safety features that could be added to this thing.

Just bizarre to me to watch people bend over backwards for a company like this.
Almost guaranteed, they are non-parents who think they know what it's like to have kids. You see lots of them on this forum.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not surprised. Treadmills are scary as fuck. Idiots, kids and pets should never have any access to them.

RobotsAnger

Oct 29, 2017
There has been 17 treadmill deaths in the US since 2018. Stopping the machine if it's lifted off the ground should be a standard feature across all treadmills.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Could a simple altimeter achieve this?
Simple loaded spring (calculated for the weight of the device) in the feet which maintains the electrical circuit (even using a reed switch) would achieve it. You don't even need sensors, it's super easy to do mechanically.

They really should have that, torque sensors and guards covering the belt at an absolute minimum, in all treadmills... But, you know, profits.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
There has been 17 treadmill deaths in the US since 2018. Stopping the machine if it's lifted off the ground should be a standard feature across all treadmills.
Just for the sake of conversation, are all of those 17 due to accidents injuries like the 1 child here, or does it include stuff like heart attacks that happen secondary to the aerobic exercise?

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. It amazes me the amount of people that just have gym equipment in their living room or around the house with young children. All of my gear is in a room with a key lock so they can't get to it.

Practically all gym equipment is lethal with children. Even something like a TRX can launch a kid across the room or present a choking hazard.

This is why my sis has all her equipment in a locked room in the basement. She won't let her kids near the stuff. Granted, she's lucky to have a room to dedicate to this stuff.

I'm not surprised. Treadmills are scary as fuck. Idiots, kids and pets should never have any access to them.

My wife has an exercise bike. We gate off the area when she uses it so our corgi doesn't eat it off the front wheel. I don't think people appreciate the power or force in these items.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Just for the sake of conversation, are all of those 17 due to accidents injuries like the 1 child here, or does it include stuff like heart attacks that happen secondary to the aerobic exercise?
I believe it's actually due to misuse of the device. To give you an idea, the US averages something between 20-25,000 injuries on treadmills per year.

It's not an understatement to say they are one of the most dangerous things one can have in a home.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Yes, the design of this particular Peloton treadmill is different from most in that there is nothing stopping an object from being pulled under from the front (or rear) by the slats.

Thankfully, the latest Peloton Tread (that I own) does not have this design and it is not possible for something to be pulled under in this manner.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
www.bleepingcomputer.com

Peloton Tread owners now forced into monthly subscription after recall

Peloton has now introduced a $39.99 monthly subscription fee for its high-end treadmill product line called Tread+. This has left many customers surprised and angered considering Tread+ retails for $3,000 already. The company has cited "safety and well-being" as a reason for introducing the...

Peloton has now introduced a $39.99 monthly subscription fee for its high-end treadmill product line called Tread+.

This has left many customers surprised and angered considering Tread+ retails for $3,000 already.

The company has cited "safety and well-being" as a reason for introducing the membership fee.

peloton-email.jpeg

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.bleepingcomputer.com

Peloton has now introduced a $39.99 monthly subscription fee for its high-end treadmill product line called Tread+. This has left many customers surprised and angered considering Tread+ retails for $3,000 already. The company has cited "safety and well-being" as a reason for introducing the...

The company has cited "safety and well-being" as a reason for introducing the membership fee.
Let the safes pay the Safety Tax!
I pay the Homer Tax!

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Jul 14, 2018
Philadelphia
www.bleepingcomputer.com

peloton-email.jpeg
I'm confused. From what I getting, you need a sub just to physically use the treadmill you already paid $3k for?