• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
When discussing DC's cinematic output, people always bring up DC's animated movies catalogue, stating that they are infinitely better than what we actually get in cinemas.

You fellas must seen it, a lot of people actually ask the DC movies to be similar to the animated ones.

There was indeed a time when DC animated movies were excellent. Movies like Under the Red Hood, Dark Knight Returns Part 1-2 were excellent.

But here's the thing. For the last couple of years, the animated movies have been completely shit, besides a few outliers.

It all began when they started basing off their stories from New 52 comics, and starting to act like these are movies for "ADULTS" with meaningless gore, sex scenes out of nowhere and swearing.

Gladly, they seem to move away from the god awful N52 era movies, go with a more consistent tone and prefer a much better art style with movies like Superman Man of Tomorrow , Justice Society WW2 and Batman The Long Haloween.
Seriously, the newer art style is infinitely better than the ones came before it. Also, based on Man of Tomorrow, the movies maybe now have less edgy bullcrap, hopefully.
c540d416-327d-4812-9da3-6daa4bdcfa2e.jpg

Superman_-Man-of-Tomorrow-_-Superman-vs-Lobo-_-Warner-Bros.-Entertainment-0-21-screenshot.png

Yet, it doesn't change the fact that the movies for the past 5 years have been mediocre to terrible. So, let's see the recent movies DC put out:

-Superman: Man of Tomorrow : preety okay, definitely a step in the right direction

-Justice League: Apokalips War: Wanna see your beloved heroes ripped into pieces by "Paradoomsdays". Everything wrong with newer DC movies wrapped around in one single package. What a terrible film.

-Superman: Red Son: A very mediocre adaptation of a beloved comic. Personally not a huge fan of Millar's work but movie is infinitely worse than the source material with ommiting some very cool story beats from the comic. Particularly the ending.

-Wonder Woman Bloodlines: Not as bad as other newer movies, Rosaria Dawson is okay as WW, but this one is especially forgettable.

-Batman Hush: One of the best Batman stories in the modern era, another awful adaptation that completely butchers the story and makes it generic as fuck.

- Justice League Vs Fatal Five: This one is cool because it has the old DCAU art style. However, it is kind of a generic ass story which adds nothing to the DCAU. Wasted potential IMO.

- Reign of Superman / Death of Superman: These two movies are adapting the Death and Return of Superman from the 90's. Here's the problem. The 2004 DCAU animated movie did it infinitely better. At that one had a good art style.

- Suicide Squad: Hell To Pay: People like this movie because there is that "King Shark is a shark" line. Other than that, it is another one of those movies that try so hard to be MATURE. It is unintentionally funny.

-Batman: Gotham By Gaslight: Probably best movie of DC animated movies of that era. Gotham By Gaslight is a cool story and movie is actually fine. Isn't it weird the best movie of the era is an Elseworld story with a completely different art style?

- Batman and Harley Quinn: Another DCAU homage where Harley Quinn fucks Nightwing. Yeah, that happened.

- Teen Titans: Judas Contract: Beloved storyline ruined by god awful dialogue, bad characterization and a shit ton of screentime with that godawful take on Damian Wayne.

-Justice League: Dark: This one is fine. Constant jerking off to Batman is annoying but at least it's FUN where most of these movies are certainly not.

- Batman: The Killing Joke: LOL.

- Justice League vs Teen Titans: I hope you guys like the annoying ass Damian Wayne these screenwriters created. If not, this is just torture.

- Batman: Bad Blood: One of the worst ones. Awful movie which ruins everyone.
Just look at this scene from Batman: Bad Blood. Is this the way you want to see Bruce and Richard Grayson interact, Batman completely disrespecting Richard's time as Batman? What an awful interaction that completely misses the mark of relationship between Dick and Bruce.

There are more mediocre and bad movies: Batman vs Robin, Son of Batman (Man, this N52 Batman movies are something aren't they?), Throne of Atlantis etc.

The movies after the Flashpoint Paradox were usually really bad and tainted the legacy of a once excellent line up of movies. Art style of the movies became dogshit. Animation became lifeless and boring. Just, look at this shot:

web-comics-copy.jpg

Long story short, DC animated movies for the past few years has been terrible to just okay. Far cry from once a great line up. Good to see they're moving further away from the NEW 52 era, i hope both the Long Haloween and new Justice Society movies are winners because recently, they fucked up countless times.

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Nobody thinks the newer DC animated movies are good, though, at least nobody that's watched them. That last one in the old continuity, Justice League Dark whatever it was called, just used the whole "universe is ending" excuse to make an elseworlds out of it and put as much gore as possible. And then the disconnected ones after that have been pretty easily forgotten.

Who exactly is saying that we should follow the direct to video example? I can understand people hearkening back to the Timmverse or even stuff like Young Justice, but the direct to home animated movies?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you'll find many people saying they've been good for the past few years. 10+ years ago, when there was one or two a year and they were more of an event, there were some really good ones

The animation on them is just ass ugly too, they're not very pleasant to look at.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
This is a bit of a straw man thread. Not since Under the Red Hood have people really claimed DC animated movies are the gold standard.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Post Justice League: Dark, I really dig Superman: Man of Tomorrow, and I hope this is the start of a new line of movies that are more consistently good-to-great than okay-to-insufferable. I really hated the recent Batman movies where Dick was treated like a punk, Bruce/Batman is an insufferable asshole, and everyone just wants to be the worst human being they can possibly be.

I forgot to add, but Batman: Soul of the Dragon was a fun 1970's Kung Fu movie tribute, and is worth a watch.

OP
OP
vaderise

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
Post Justice League: Dark, I really dig Superman: Man of Tomorrow, and I hope this is the start of a new line of movies that are more consistently good-to-great than okay-to-insufferable. I really hated the recent Batman movies where Dick was treated like a punk, Bruce/Batman is an insufferable asshole, and everyone just wants to be the worst human being they can possibly be.
The Batman movies are definitely the worst examples of the newer movies. Bruce and Damian are both insuffarable garbage human beings.
But hey, Long Haloween is looking fine.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
The last ones I saw were Son of Batman, Batman vs. Robin, and Gods and Monsters, which were pretty bad. They're low budget, but they just aren't well-told stories. Even that Ninja Batman movie ended up being meh.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Judas Contract is good I'll go to bat for it.

So do you want a live action movie like that?

Again, I'm not saying they are all absolutely terrible, I'm saying nobody (that I know of) is saying that they should be the direction a live action cinematic universe should go in. Also the best ones are only decent because they halfway translate a much better comic book story.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Into The Spider-Verse raised the bar.
But just comparing the new DC animated movies to the old ones definitely shows a decline in quality.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Suicide Squad Hell to pay is fun. Amanda Waller trying to steal salvation is an interesting concept for a Macguffin .It also avoids having Batman play any role (other than Thomas Wayne in a flashback), a rare feat in a DC animated film.

Also the King Shark line is from Apokalips War.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada

Duuuuuuuuude, it looks like the same team behind Man of Tomorrow are behind this movie. :D

It's interesting that they're splitting the movie into two parts, but I honestly don't mind, as it otherwise looks promising.

Hush improves on the comic's story, which wasn't good in the first place.

This, even if it's the same characters from the New-52 line of movies, but at least Batman isn't as big of an asshole as he was in the previous films.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched any of these for a while but there are some that I'm still planning to check out cause I recorded them.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It gave us this so it is fine in my book:

Reverse Flash in this series of films have been hillarious

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Yeah I recently went through a watched a bunch of the DC (New?) Animated Universe movies on HBO Max these past few months. My experiences was mixed.

I liked a couple of the Batman movies set in the Universe. I thought Bad Blood and Hush were pretty solid. It kind of just made me wish they created a fullfledged Batman cartoon out of this setting rather than these scattered movies.

The actual Justice League movies sucked though.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay was actually decent to good. Not a great film but it wasn't bad. The collection of villains that made up the SS was better than the first animated movies and the "Get Out of Hell Free" card made for a fun premise and what was actually a more surprisingly heartfelt ending than I was originally expecting with the resolution with Bronze Tiger.

OP
OP
vaderise

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay was actually decent to good. Not a great film but it wasn't bad. The collection of villains that made up the SS was better than the first animated movies and the "Get Out of Hell Free" card made for a fun premise and what was actually a more surprisingly heartfelt ending than I was originally expecting with the resolution with Bronze Tiger.
Arkham movie was way better with an insanely fun 3rd act.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've been watching the Animated Movie universe ones that just wrapped up and enjoying them.

/shrug

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Man of Tomorrow was one of the worst ones. The only thing good about it is the art style. At least the other movies have cool action scenes.

FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017
I was buying them all up until just after Flashpoint Paradox

Couldn't justify it any longer.

So many legendary DC stories.
I can't for the life of me understand why you would limit yourself to adapting only the new fuckin 52.
Or worse.. adapting the stories to fit the new 52 aesthetic.

I will say some of the Batman movies referenced some dope ass action scenes and animated them pretty decently

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what are all the good ones?

-Batman Gotham By Gaslight
-The Death of Superman
-Justice League Doom
-The Dark Knight Returns (both parts)
-Batman Assault on Arkham
-Justice League: Gods and Monsters
-Batman: Under The Red Hood
-Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
-Superman vs the Elite
-Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (for real this one is really good)

Oct 25, 2017
Since the first, there's been varying degrees of 'this is utter dogshit' takes and none of them have really been highly praised at all.

None.

That sort of stuff can be waved away as 'fandom' but I've never understood most things fandom anyway.

The DCAU being routinely ignored and erased from history was and is a far more distressing thing for me.

I don't mean by WB either.

I like these animated films for what they are, for the most part. I've got a long history with them overall so the joy of seeing the same people direct and produce or score these when they were practically doing apprenticeship on the DCAU is also touching.

Missed opportunity for some of them to become shows.

OP
OP
vaderise

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
I was buying them all up until just after Flashpoint Paradox

Couldn't justify it any longer.

So many legendary DC stories.
I can't for the life of me understand why you would limit yourself to adapting only the new fuckin 52.
Or worse.. adapting the stories to fit the new 52 aesthetic.

I will say some of the Batman movies referenced some dope ass action scenes and animated them pretty decently

Irony is that, Scott Snyder's Batman run was the best thing to come out from the New 52( which is funny because Batman was the least effected character from the continunity shift) and among the New 52 Era animated movies, Batman ones are most definitely the worst.

Jun 6, 2018
I didn't mind the animated universe attempt. There were some plain old boring movies but there's usually one or two things to pick out and enjoy for me.

I just watched red son for the first time and the pacing in that movie was just weird, I don't think the story they were going for works in animation.

I find it hard to get offended when a dc animated movie is bad. I don't usually go out and buy them at release and I wait for either netflix or rent it online when it's cheap. Because the movies themselves are inherently direct to DVD I can cut them some slack

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
I'm a huge D.C. fan especially of the classic animated series and I can honestly say that only Gotham by Gaslight really impressed me in the decade since Under the Red Hood.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I don't think you'll find many people saying they've been good for the past few years. 10+ years ago, when there was one or two a year and they were more of an event, there were some really good ones

The animation on them is just ass ugly too, they're not very pleasant to look at.

Yeah this

they were good, now they are mediocre,

but when they were good it was like "why not just copy and paste to live action wyd"