• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lwkmd

Oct 29, 2017
this was eye opening

it's outrageous what they're doing but also par for the course for tech companies who run app stores, platforms or in fact disguise other predatory or exploitative practices within digital conceptions like games - see lootboxes

the governments of the world need to sort their shit out and get on top of it

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
What the crap, Shut Up and Sit down videogame edition?
How ... did I not know that this exists.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, this is disgusting.

Holy. Shit. This. Is. Disgusting.

Everybody should watch this. How has this never been a Jim Sterling topic.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Wow. This is straight up the scummiest shit I've seen in a long time. Kids'll potentially be burned out from the game industry long before for they're legally old enough to hold a job. They won't even be able to take their work and move it to a better market either. Its completely fucked.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's crazy how the lack of regulation has led to the tech industry treating workers like dirt, recalling the coal mining era and we now back to the child labour era of early industrial times! That platform capitalism is some cult like shit, poor Roblox fan developers.

Habs

Mar 10, 2021
Just finished the video. What an eye-opener. Didn't know how disgusting and exploitative Roblox is. One of PMGs best videos yet.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Finally took the time to watch the video. This is beyond disgusting. More people need to lambast them.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
Back when I was a teenager, I made a Roblox game that I didn't expect to take off. I balked at the robux to real money exchange rate, which actually seriously undervalues what people are willing to pay for the robux through other means. I ended up cashing out through selling my virtual hats through some PayPal deals, which, while breaking the ToS, got me a whole lot more money which I was able to use to build my first gaming PC.

it's definitely a cool environment to fiddle around with coding in, but roblox makes SO much money off of it. they're always talking about Roblox being a platform like steam, so hopefully this video can create some pressure on them to offer fairer terms

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the royalties are low because 25% goes to server infrastructure, 25% to moderation, and 25% goes to roblox , so the developer ends up with only 25%. which is not great...but I do think the costs here are much bigger than say running just an app store like steam and epic
Steam operates online infrastructure and develops controller and VR software and APIs lol

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy how the lack of regulation has led to the tech industry treating workers like dirt, recalling the coal mining era and we now back to the child labour era of early industrial times! That platform capitalism is some cult like shit, poor Roblox fan developers.

It's crazy that I read that and didn't even think you wete exaggerating when calling this child labour, but I guess that's where we are now. There needs to be legislations about this.

What the crap, Shut Up and Sit down videogame edition?
How ... did I not know that this exists.

This isn't quite that.

You want Cool Ghosts. (Which comes out incredibly seldom, but still.)

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's crazy that I read that and didn't even think you wete exaggerating when calling this child labour, but I guess that's where we are now. There needs to be legislations about this.

This isn't quite that.

You want Cool Ghosts. (Which comes out incredibly seldom, but still.)

Annoying thing about tech capitalists is they have this faux veneer of being progressive or liberal, when they are anything but when it comes to race, gender, sexuality, or labour. It's all about the profit motive, humanity be damned.

Cool Ghosts RIP, pretty sure it's been abandoned and they are now doing different things like Shut Up And Sit Down. Was my mainstay after Matt Lees left Videogamer.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Annoying thing about tech capitalists is they have this faux veneer of being progressive or liberal, when they are anything but when it comes to race, gender, sexuality, or labour. It's all about the profit motive, humanity be damned.

Cool Ghosts RIP, pretty sure it's been abandoned and they are now doing different things like Shut Up And Sit Down. Was my mainstay after Matt Lees left Videogamer.

I sometimes even think they buy their own bullshit. I absolutely think they see themselves as the heroes of their stories. But that falls apart pretty quickly when you interview an 11-year old who feels as jaded as any young adult caught in the gig economy.

And yeah, I realized after I posted above that the last Cool Ghosts was released literally years ago. It's probably as dead as the characters presenting the show by now.

mjhaas

Aug 28, 2019
This is my first time seeing a video or even a screenshot of Roblox. First time watching this channel too. Great video.

Doopl

Oct 25, 2017
This is so shady. There needs to be regulation on how digital platforms pay people who produce content for them.

Oct 27, 2020
A very informative video. I never realised Roblox operated like a company town and uses child labour to build their wealth. It's so disturbing and on a personal level it makes me worried because my nephew has recently gotten in Roblox and I've heard him take about wanting to make games.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The odds of making it big being the odds like a lottery and paying for advertising just seems so sad, and kids deserve to be informed so they can set their expectations accordingly, while the company is pressured to be less exploitative.

Oct 25, 2017

Corporations co-opting social causes for profit rather than principle is the norm, and it's so disgusting.

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
We need regulation, badly, particularly where you are forced to transform your currency into a locked in per-app or platform model.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
It is kinda disservice to video creators sum up things in few sentences. It also wouldn't cover everything that is said there.
Some people consume content differently.

I'd gladly read a long form article that took me 22 minutes to read over watching a video.

But that's why I like forums as people watch videos and then summarize so I at least get some of the bits ;)

Good thread either way and I honestly had no idea Roblox was even a platform to sell games until someone mentioned it in a thread about Apple's rules surrounding cloud gaming providers.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
youtu.be

The Problem With Roblox...

Roblox is one of the biggest games in the world. Well technically speaking, it’s not a “game” really. It’s more like a kid-friendly game design platform that...

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
the royalties are low because 25% goes to server infrastructure, 25% to moderation, and 25% goes to roblox , so the developer ends up with only 25%. which is not great...but I do think the costs here are much bigger than say running just an app store like steam and epic
You have no idea what goes into Steam. Certainly more than Roblox is giving its creators.

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this video. Holy crap Roblox is dodgy.

That $1000 minimum on withdrawing earned money essentially means they're using unpaid child labor to make money at a massive scale.

Oct 25, 2017
Only insofar as what you earn in Robux. Withdraw those Robux and it gets translated into dollars at a vastly reduced ratio to dollars going into Robux.

Sep 22, 2019
You have no idea what goes into Steam. Certainly more than Roblox is giving its creators.

you have no idea how hard it is for roblox to create scale like this and a development infrastructure that even kids can use. its like super mario maker on steroids

is mario maker labor exploiting kids who make maps too?

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
It's very different. Nintendo isn't implying anywhere that a creator would be able to make "real money" from their creations, and markets the game purely as that - a game. Roblox on the other hand is leaning very much towards the "get rich quick!" side of things.

Very good points.

And Roblox and Nintendo are in a completely different situation.

Unlike Roblox, the success of Nintendo as a company doesn't directly depend on kids making content in games like Super Mario Maker. And unlike Roblox, the stock prices of Nintendo wouldn't be directly affected if kids stopped making stuff in games like Super Mario Maker.