• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I made a thread not too long ago that discussed the max volume warnings Apple's been sending with earphone usage. Coincidentally, that's also the time I noticed this ear-ringing problem I've been having, but I wanted to make a separate thread to focus more on the issue.

I've been noticing a constant mild ringing on my left ear for the past 2 weeks (might have been longer, but that's when I started noticing it). The best way I can describe it is like a low "eeeeeeee" noise, kind of like what you hear from a desktop PC or other electronic device. It's mostly concentrated on the left ear, but it will also "shift" a bit to my right ear or stay right in the middle of my head.

I recently went to get my ears checked by an ENT. After the basic hearing tests and examination, they found no signs of deterioration or any other issues and claimed my hearing was "normal". They also said that the ringing could be a common thing that happens to people my age (I turn 40 next month) and that my brain will eventually tune it out subconsciously. I'm not entirely satisfied by the diagnosis, but I have a nasal-related procedure next week with another ENT clinic where I'll bring up this issue.

Speaking of which, I suffer from a lot of sinus pressure and allergies, which is why I'm getting a nasal turbinate reduction in the hopes of alleviating some of that. It makes me wonder if this ringing is tied to my sinus, as I also get occasional and quick head pains around the left side of my head along with itchiness inside my ear.

The noise also seems to alleviate or almost disappear at various times of the day. It's when I'm alone in my room (and especially waking up in the morning to hit the bathroom or otherwise) when it's the most noticeable (and annoying), but when I'm outside or in an area with relative background noise, I don't hear it much at all.

I'm hoping that I can get some input on whether this is something that may pass or if I'll be stuck with it for the rest of my life. I'm really hoping it's not the latter and it's just an extended head cold or something, but I wanted to share my symptoms in the hopes this all sounds familiar to someone.

And in case you're wondering, I did get both doses of the COVID vaccine, which I've read has attributed to ear-ringing for some people. That was a little over a month ago, while those reports claim it happened to them almost a day or two after. I'm doubtful that's the cause, but I figured I'd mention it as well.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
There's really no way of knowing for sure if it's tinnitus or a sinus thing. I hope it's the latter, and clears up for you after the procedure. If it's tinnitus, then you just have to hope your brain tunes it out.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like tinnitus.

Could well be your sinuses. Get a histamine and some nasal spray and see if that helps. If that doesn't help, try getting your ears cleaned. That's some of the possible remedies off the top of my head.

As someone who's had tinnitus for several years, it eventually becomes background noise. Doesn't bother me much anymore. Only change is that I keep a fan or radio on at night as the dead silence makes me hear it again.

Feb 27, 2018
I have almost the exact same thing going on in my left ear. ENT checked it out, said everything looked fine. Even went through a tinnitus evaluation, where they said I had some mild hearing loss in that ear, but nothing to indicate why. Ear structure and all the tiny hairs inside all looked good.

Next step was they wanted me to get an MRI, to see if there is a growth on the nerve in my left ear, but I'm kind of sick of paying for this stuff. I'm just getting used to it, really. I'm 36, chalking it down to my body continuing to turn against me...

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
As mentioned, check sinus and possible ear blockage. If sound persist, then its tinnitus.

Had mine for more that a year and an half now, the brain eventually does kind of tune it out.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Sounds like tinnitus to me. I have it in my right ear. I usually can tune it out for most of the day but when I'm laying in bed trying to sleep, it's the worst. Even if a fan is on you can hear it. You just get used to it and hope it doesn't start to happen in both ears.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Tinnitus unfortunately is extremely common and there isn't a whole lot you can do :(. That being said do you hear any wooshing sounds?

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
i have it too and the doc told me that i'm basically just fucked forever and there's no way to get rid of it.

Mine manifests as all sorts of different sounds, the most common is a repeating "click", but I also get the persistent "eeeeeee" as well.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Op. This just started more significantly with me about 3 weeks ago. Had a mild panic attack because of it.

I thought it might have been triggered by a hearing test I took here, but it could have also been a cold I had.

It's rough. I am going to an ent this week. But I feel like I know what to expect.

CoconutTiger

Oct 6, 2020
Germany
Hey OP, I've been dealing with Tinnitus (or at least that's what I call it and it sounds exactly as you described) sometimes for weeks or months at a time and it ALWAYS suddenly goes away. I haven't had it for quite some time now.
So no, don't listen to "if it doesn't go away after a week, it will stay forever" etc. It's very good that you're getting yourself checked out and I would absolutely mention it during your upcoming procedure. But don't stress yourself over it and just try to ignore it. Hope it will be over soon!

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
There are a million causes of tinnitus and like a million things that may or may not make it better.

In your case it sounds like eustachian tube dusfunction, since those tubes run from the back of the nose to the eardrums (they're for equalizing pressure) and sinus issues could play in.

There's not any real cure - the only concern is if it's vascular or (super crazy long shot) a tumor. A white noise machine helps with sleep, to 'fix' (aka make brain better ignore it) there is some meditation techniques that apparently work well. Counter intuitively you do mindfulness and focus on the sound itself, in effect training the brain to no longer interpret the sound as a 'threat' so that it'll eventually ignore it mostly.

It can go away on its on, get worse, get better, and so on.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I've had tinnitus all my life I think. I can only hear it when I listen for it, the rest of the time I forget it's there.

Ive also started heading the Apple volume warnings since your thread, and in fact set the volume limit to 80db. My hearings still okay so I figured now was as good a time as any to start looking after my hearing (well...apart from 20 years ago).

Having the music quieter fucking sucks, but I assume not as much as being deaf when I reach 50.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It could be a side effect of covid. Did you ever have other symptoms?

www.webmd.com

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Overview

COVID-19 is a new type of coronavirus that causes mild to severe cases. Here’s a quick guide on how to spot symptoms, risk factors, prevent spread of the disease, and find out what to do if you think you have it.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like tinnitus.

Could well be your sinuses. Get a histamine and some nasal spray and see if that helps. If that doesn't help, try getting your ears cleaned. That's some of the possible remedies off the top of my head.

As someone who's had tinnitus for several years, it eventually becomes background noise. Doesn't bother me much anymore. Only change is that I keep a fan or radio on at night as the dead silence makes me hear it again.

I regularly use saline nasal spray. Again, my right nostril is almost 24/7 stuffed so I need to regularly moisturize it. The saline spray means I can use it as much as I want.

Tinnitus unfortunately is extremely common and there isn't a whole lot you can do :(. That being said do you hear any wooshing sounds?

No wooshing sounds.

Could be a sign of high blood pressure, too.

Interestingly, I talked to my friend about it and he said he had persistent ringing as a result of his thyroid.

I can't remember the exact time when I last got a blood check, but it shouldn't have been no more than two years ago. I'll consider getting it again soon, but the ENT checked my blood pressure and said it was excellent.

They also cleaned my ears too with a small vacuum/suction thingy. Real gross sound, but I also tend to get a LOT of wax build up in my left ear. I've been using Debrox, but that just seems to make my ear drip more.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It could be a side effect of covid. Did you ever have other symptoms?

www.webmd.com

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Overview

COVID-19 is a new type of coronavirus that causes mild to severe cases. Here’s a quick guide on how to spot symptoms, risk factors, prevent spread of the disease, and find out what to do if you think you have it.

As mentioned before I did get the vaccine about a month ago. I also got COVID tested a week ago as a requirement for my upcoming procedure, came back negative.

The article says to see health care support, but who would I see specifically?

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Mid-30's. Have had this for as long as I can remember. It's getting worse. Using white noise and a decibel meter to measure when my tinnitus and the white noise are at equitable volume, the ringing in my ears is at 40 db, 24/7.

You learn to cope, and you learn what stressors trigger it more, but man I wish nothing more than to get rid of it.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've had tinnitus all my life I think. I can only hear it when I listen for it, the rest of the time I forget it's there.

Ive also started heading the Apple volume warnings since your thread, and in fact set the volume limit to 80db. My hearings still okay so I figured now was as good a time as any to start looking after my hearing (well...apart from 20 years ago).

Having the music quieter fucking sucks, but I assume not as much as being deaf when I reach 50.

Not to dismiss the replies from that thread, but when I mentioned it to the ENT he said it was highly unlikely that the Airpods could have attributed to my ringing, as he claimed that I would have to listen to it at max volume for over 8 hours a day.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Not to dismiss the replies from that thread, but when I mentioned it to the ENT he said it was highly unlikely that the Airpods could have attributed to my ringing, as he claimed that I would have to listen to it at max volume for over 8 hours a day.

That is absolutely false.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Happened to me for a good 30minutes or so but went away. I can't imagine having that ringing for 2 weeks, good luck.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? Headphones and earbuds are a major contributor to tinnitus and how prevalent it is.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
That's really not true. Assuming your 'maximum' is 100db then just a few minutes a week can cause damage. The 8 hours a day is for a maximum set at 80db. 90db would allow you 4 hours before starting to risk damage. I'd download the Health app. All the information is there.

Aug 27, 2018
8bc76b478ce04f3525630bd5d1f771ef.jpg

I also have a pretty persistent ringing in my ears from too many concerts and standing too close to speakers at said concerts.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
the tinnitus could be caused by an earwax tap, go to your doctor or an Otolaryngologist if you can.

Eegah

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to stay updated on this, in case. How long does it usually take for these kinds of tests to get approved for American testing?

Not sure about medical devices like this, but when I used to work in a clinical trials pharmacy the studies would often take 4-7 years.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
It could be a side effect of covid

I wonder if the vaccine can make it worse as well, as I've had an increase in the perceived volume of my tinnitus since having mine a couple of weeks ago. It seems to be getting better again, over the past two/three days, so it makes me wonder.

No reason to avoid the vaccine though.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I wonder if the vaccine can make it worse as well, as I've had an increase in the perceived volume of my tinnitus since having mine a couple of weeks ago. It seems to be getting better again, over the past two/three days, so it makes me wonder.

No reason to avoid the vaccine though.

Actually that would be reason to avoid the vaccine but there's no evidence of that.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't noticed much ringing today. For half the day I almost couldn't hear it all.

I hope that's a sign that I'm getting better, but it does confirm that the noise level of the ringing has been fluctuating.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Yeah, that's tinnitus, I've had it for years myself, the noise level will fluctuate from very loud to barely noticeable at times, eventually you learn to tune it out.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't noticed much ringing today. For half the day I almost couldn't hear it all.

I hope that's a sign that I'm getting better, but it does confirm that the noise level of the ringing has been fluctuating.
Your brain could also be 'getting used to it' and tuning it out. We do that with a lot of background noises and tinnitus can be tuned out just as well. I've had moments where I forget I have it and your description of when it's loud vs when it's not sounds like mine.

Like others have said though, the causes of tinnitus ranges all over the place and it may be more of a question of how to handle it as opposed to finding the source/cause at this point. Hopefully for you it's something that will go away in time but it's not a guarantee.

Good luck on the procedure though. That might solve your problems and everything will be fine but tinnitus is such an unknown thing that's it's a shrug whether something will fix it or not.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Tinnitus sucks, it's good that you've had checks for it to rule out the worst possibilities though.

For me, I tend to find it gets worse if my shoulders and neck are tense (Which is a lot of the time given my weak core muscles, trying to do lots of strength training in the meantime, poor posture, and general stress). On some days, it's just worse but you can get used to it completely that you tune it out and you can carry on.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's tinnitus alright. Mine just got a bit louder the other night. You get used to it after a while (at least I did), but it definitely sucks.

mine just popped up one day and never went away, been like 3 ish years since I got it. Envious of all of you who had it disappear after some time lol, although its doesn't really affect my day to day.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The founder and CEO of the excellent restaurant chain Texas Roadhouse recently killed himself because of tinnitus. It was a symptom of long covid.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I can't remember not having tinnitus, but the ringing is always there for me in the background. I've learned to ignore it and really only notice it when I see tinnitus mentioned lol. Then again, I'm sure there are people out there who probably have it much worse than I do.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
Yeah, it's tinnitus. Had mine since a string of ear infections in my last two years of high school. Embrace needing white noise or asmr to sleep. You just kinda get used to it.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I have a very mild form of it from working in a cutting room for years. Loud fans spinning overhead for years keeping the room refrigerated and using loud machines like the bonesaw for several hours a day are definately part of it. It was annoying at first but I literally can't hear it unless its dead silent and I'm actively focusing on it. That said, I'm probably going to need a hearing aid later in life because its harder for me to hear people clearly far away as I used to.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
I've had pretty bad tinnitus for most of my life, it definitely sucks when there is pure silence so I try to always have sound going. It's honestly not that bad, you do kind of tune it out in most scenarios. Constant normal chatter makes it go away, being anywhere outside or social. At night when I sleep I just use a sleep sounds app that I cycle through fire or rain sounds.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

It's not going away, you're just acclimating. You'll eventually hit a point where you don't really notice it unless you focus on it, and then it'll just come and go over time. I've found if I go to a relatively loud place it'll flare up for a few days and then fade back into the background, which is why I usually keep a set of earplugs on me at all times to try to mitigate it as much as I can.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Another for tinnitus. Get a white noise machine if it's messing with your sleep. I've been dealing with it for 10 years. Mine started as a low bass hum. I woke up one morning and the hum was a roaring waterfall. I was panicking. I didn't know what to do. My primary care couldn't find anything. Eventually it subsided and now it's usually a low hiss like a speaker turned up without anything playing. The roar comes back a couple of times a year, but it subsides after a few days.

The founder and CEO of the excellent restaurant chain Texas Roadhouse recently killed himself because of tinnitus. It was a symptom of long covid.
Fucking what!? That's really sad. I love the chain. They've really taken care of their workers and have adapted during the pandemic. An example for all. Goddamn...

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
It's not going away, you're just acclimating. You'll eventually hit a point where you don't really notice it unless you focus on it, and then it'll just come and go over time. I've found if I go to a relatively loud place it'll flare up for a few days and then fade back into the background, which is why I usually keep a set of earplugs on me at all times to try to mitigate it as much as I can.

Yep, this has been my past 20 years. Doesn't bother me during the day when there just tends to be "noise" happening. But at night, when I go to sleep and everything else is silent the sound in my head becomes clear. And if I really concentrate on the sounds it becomes almost painfully loud.