• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Avenger54321

Oct 27, 2017
Gurnee
I think I am finally considering buying a PS5 to replace my PS4 as my Dark Souls machine. Having Demon Souls, Dark Souls 1/2/3, Bloodborne, Sekiro, and eventually Elden Ring all on one box is just too tempting. I bought a PS4 just to play Bloodborne, so this is just the next logical step ;P

What stores are my best bet for getting the Digital PS5 these days? Assuming that there is a not a PS5 Demon Souls Digital Bundle of course :)

I'd say PS Direct. Since they've been inviting people via email to buy them before they open the floodgates. Not sure if they still do that. The only other way is to make a Twitter account, follow people who tweets about alerts and restock info, put on notifications and have fast reflexes.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I think I am finally considering buying a PS5 to replace my PS4 as my Dark Souls machine. Having Demon Souls, Dark Souls 1/2/3, Bloodborne, Sekiro, and eventually Elden Ring all on one box is just too tempting. I bought a PS4 just to play Bloodborne, so this is just the next logical step ;P
Oh, you're in for a treat with Demon's Souls, looking as good as it does, at a buttery-smooth 60fps...

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What's the easiest, quickest way to get PS5 screenshots to my PC? Preferrably without having to use USB sticks or whatever.

moonbeam

Nov 11, 2017
Are people expecting an all black PS5 at some stage? Also, is coil whine still an issue with some units?

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Are people expecting an all black PS5 at some stage? Also, is coil whine still an issue with some units?
Unless they've changed the manufacturing process every PS5 is susceptible to coil whine still.
The thing with coil whine is that whether you'll hear it or not is dependant on multiple factors such as your own hearing range, where the console is situated and background noise in the room.

Additionally the fan inside the PS5 can be one of 3 models, 1 of which is louder than the others. If the fan noise bothers you it's possible to buy a replacement.

Sadly I'm quite tuned into high pitched noises and boy do I know it when I've turned my PS5 on. Thing is after 10 minutes I'm so engrossed in the game I rarely hear the console apart from game scenes featuring little or no sounds or when the frame rate is uncapped on a menu screen (Oddworld was terrible for this, I think they've since patched it).

It's not a massive issue and Sony don't consider it a fault so don't let it put you off picking up a PS5 👍🏻

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to jinx myself but it seems my coil whine has been much quieter lately. Tried with Genshin Impact that made my Ps5 almost whistle and yet i hear just a faint buzz now. Also i hear no coil whine whatsoever while playing Spiderman Remastered RT performance mode, so the Ps5 should be quite busy playing it but i hear nothing, but i don't know if that game has loud coil whine for everyone else so i can't say if it's a good sign or not.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Create a party with two other people then kick them out, you will be left with an empty party that you can send media to.
This will heavily compress the images, but is indeed the easiest way.

It would be great if there was picture hosting integration similar to the YouTube integration. The PlayStation YouTube integration is brilliant, it's a shame that it's not matched on the screenshot front.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018

It would be great if there was picture hosting integration similar to the YouTube integration. The PlayStation YouTube integration is brilliant, it's a shame that it's not matched on the screenshot front.
They should give you the option of sharing full quality images at least in parties.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017

I've not used it, but is twitter not good for this? I remember people using that on the PS4.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

In New Pokemon Snap you can scan a QR code to download photos you've taken in full res. I would something like that on PS5.
Even Nintendo somehow managed to have an easy-ish way to grab your pictures, Sony should really be capable of coming up with something.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
In New Pokemon Snap you can scan a QR code to download photos you've taken in full res. I would something like that on PS5.
Even Nintendo somehow managed to have an easy-ish way to grab your pictures, Sony should really be capable of coming up with something.
But that's only for Pokemon Snap right? For other games you have to either upload it to twitter/facebook or yank out the SD card and pop it in your machine which is more hassle than a USB pen. Or maybe they've changed it since I've last transferred my photos?

On the Playstation can you not upload to Twitter and such too? I made a fake private Twitter just for that purpose on Switch.

Ultimately it would be better if they could cloud store them on something that you could access via a URL like Steam Screenshots on the cloud or something.

Last edited:

moonbeam

Nov 11, 2017
Unless they've changed the manufacturing process every PS5 is susceptible to coil whine still.
The thing with coil whine is that whether you'll hear it or not is dependant on multiple factors such as your own hearing range, where the console is situated and background noise in the room.

Additionally the fan inside the PS5 can be one of 3 models, 1 of which is louder than the others. If the fan noise bothers you it's possible to buy a replacement.

Sadly I'm quite tuned into high pitched noises and boy do I know it when I've turned my PS5 on. Thing is after 10 minutes I'm so engrossed in the game I rarely hear the console apart from game scenes featuring little or no sounds or when the frame rate is uncapped on a menu screen (Oddworld was terrible for this, I think they've since patched it).

It's not a massive issue and Sony don't consider it a fault so don't let it put you off picking up a PS5 👍🏻
Thanks for the super informative reply. I'm not really in a rush to purchase one so I'll probably wait a bit longer. I know it's not a issue for some but I would really like all black model if possible.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
But that's only for Pokemon Snap right? For other games you have to either upload it to twitter/facebook or yank out the SD card and pop it in your machine which is more hassle than a USB pen. Or maybe they've changed it since I've last transferred my photos?

On the Playstation can you not upload to Twitter and such too? I made a fake private Twitter just for that purpose on Switch.

Ultimately it would be better if they could cloud store them on something that you could access via a URL like Steam Screenshots on the cloud or something.
Yeah I think it's only for NPS, I barely use my Switch so I wouldn't know for sure.
I'm just saying that options are there, right now it's really stupid how "complicated" it is to do something as simple as getting a screenshot from your PS5.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Yeah I think it's only for NPS, I barely use my Switch so I wouldn't know for sure.
I'm just saying that options are there, right now it's really stupid how "complicated" it is to do something as simple as getting a screenshot from your PS5.
Yea I just checked you can upload to twitter so they both really have the same options it does suck though. Not sure how Microsoft handles it but choosing to upload to the Cloud with Steam seems like the best option but then again I think they still get compressed.

moonbeam

Nov 11, 2017
I mean to get one for yourself and see what kind of coil whine you end up with. Don't trust the internet folk on that subject.

I'm certain every single unit has coil whine but as I said there are plenty of people telling you otherwise.
...with the idea being to return it if noise is an issue? That sounds like a good suggestion. Sort of disappointing that this is an issue though.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I apologise if I'm missing something obvious here, but I've looked at a few different options around the OS, and nothing seems to work in this situation.

I think how the system manages installed games needs significant improvement. Maybe it's just a weird situation I've encountered, but the way the system tracks and manges where games are installed seems unfinished.

Having read the LTTP Earth Defense Force 5 thread, I decided I wanted to try the series, so I searched the PS Store for it. I discovered I'd apparently purchased EDF 4.1 at some point, so I decided to try and download that. Looking at the game on PS5, there's a "Play Game" button. I click it. "We can't find the storage device this is installed on.". Okay - I assume it's an external drive which is connected to the PS4 elsewhere in the house at the moment.

The message tells me to delete the game and re-download it if I want to. Great - I want it on the SSD anyway, so I'll just do that. Except - the popup offers no option to delete the game. I look at the menu options for the game to see if I can delete it from there. Nothing. At this point, why does it not just ask if I want to install it on the console, and download it to console storage? I got to the product page and saw a "Stream" button for PS Now, so it's possible I "own" it through that instead. I go to the PS Now section, find the game and press Download. I get a helpful "Something went wrong" error.

Okay - time to check my library and delete it from there. I go to my library, sort alphabetically and look under the letter E. Nothing. No mention of EDF at all. (Edit: Checked again and it is listed in the library, but there's still no delete option, so we're back to square one). Well, I think, it must be listed under applications in system settings then. Except, it's not. That only lists console storage, and doesn't list external games because the external drive isn't connected.

So what appears to have happened is the PS5's database says the game is installed on an external drive, which it may well be. Except, since the drive isn't connected, it removes all mention of the game from anywhere else in the OS. From what I could see there is no way to delete it, or delete this "link" it has created in the database. You also can't install it on another drive, for some reason.

Yes - the 'fix' here is for me to connect the external HDD, but that's not my point. What if that drive had broken or had to be formatted? The game is just forever unplayable because it can't be found and deleted? If the system is going to track that games are installed on external drives when they aren't connected, then it should offer a way to "uninstall" (remove that record it's created) so that the game can be installed on internal storage (or another connected drive) - or, the simpler option, it should just ignore that if the drive isn't connected, and let me install it somewhere else. As it is, the game is effectively "stuck" in an unplayable state and can't be accessed.

Edit: Well... I 'fixed' it. Someone on Reddit mentioned that sometimes external games would have content in console storage, and that needed to be deleted. Went to storage, and found a ~10mb "console storage exclusive" file for the game. Deleted that, and now it's downloading. That was confusing. I still think that process needs to be far more user friendly - ideally just have a "redownload game" button on the popup message.

Last edited:

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I apologise if I'm missing something obvious here, but I've looked at a few different options around the OS, and nothing seems to work in this situation.

I think how the system manages installed games needs significant improvement. Maybe it's just a weird situation I've encountered, but the way the system tracks and manges where games are installed seems unfinished.

Having read the LTTP Earth Defense Force 5 thread, I decided I wanted to try the series, so I searched the PS Store for it. I discovered I'd apparently purchased EDF 4.1 at some point, so I decided to try and download that. Looking at the game on PS5, there's a "Play Game" button. I click it. "We can't find the storage device this is installed on.". Okay - I assume it's an external drive which is connected to the PS4 elsewhere in the house at the moment.

The message tells me to delete the game and re-download it if I want to. Great - I want it on the SSD anyway, so I'll just do that. Except - the popup offers no option to delete the game. I look at the menu options for the game to see if I can delete it from there. Nothing. At this point, why does it not just ask if I want to install it on the console, and download it to console storage? I got to the product page and saw a "Stream" button for PS Now, so it's possible I "own" it through that instead. I go to the PS Now section, find the game and press Download. I get a helpful "Something went wrong" error.

Okay - time to check my library and delete it from there. I go to my library, sort alphabetically and look under the letter E. Nothing. No mention of EDF at all. (Edit: Checked again and it is listed in the library, but there's still no delete option, so we're back to square one). Well, I think, it must be listed under applications in system settings then. Except, it's not. That only lists console storage, and doesn't list external games because the external drive isn't connected.

So what appears to have happened is the PS5's database says the game is installed on an external drive, which it may well be. Except, since the drive isn't connected, it removes all mention of the game from anywhere else in the OS. From what I could see there is no way to delete it, or delete this "link" it has created in the database. You also can't install it on another drive, for some reason.

Yes - the 'fix' here is for me to connect the external HDD, but that's not my point. What if that drive had broken or had to be formatted? The game is just forever unplayable because it can't be found and deleted? If the system is going to track that games are installed on external drives when they aren't connected, then it should offer a way to "uninstall" (remove that record it's created) so that the game can be installed on internal storage (or another connected drive) - or, the simpler option, it should just ignore that if the drive isn't connected, and let me install it somewhere else. As it is, the game is effectively "stuck" in an unplayable state and can't be accessed.

Edit: Well... I 'fixed' it. Someone on Reddit mentioned that sometimes external games would have content in console storage, and that needed to be deleted. Went to storage, and found a ~10mb "console storage exclusive" file for the game. Deleted that, and now it's downloading. That was confusing. I still think that process needs to be far more user friendly - ideally just have a "redownload game" button on the popup message.
I'd expect one of the safe mode functions - "rebuild database" sounds like a decent candidate - would fix this too, in the event of failed external hdd etc.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I've tried 5 PS5's now. All sound the exact same - audible coil whine.

Almost refuse to believe that any PS5 system out there is truly silent like the Switch or Series X.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Installing the WD black NVMe SSD was super easy. Not sure what the big fuss was about. I get having to look up which one to get but people make it seem like it's something that is super difficult to do.

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
I've tried 5 PS5's now. All sound the exact same - audible coil whine.

Almost refuse to believe that any PS5 system out there is truly silent like the Switch or Series X.
Zero coil whine for me at any time in any game and I am particularly sensitive to high pitched sound. I'm in Australia (240V/50Hz power). Could it be worse with 120V/60Hz power or maybe worse in your particular house or area (old wiring, dirty power or frequency or voltage fluctuations)? Or maybe some PS5 power supply batches are more susceptible.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know if having a game on your wishlist actually sends you notifications when the price drops?

I want to say I got an alert on the PS5 informing me of a wishlisted game being on sale, but 1) I'm not sure I imagined it, and 2) I am *100%* certain, that, if it did occur, it's not a thing you can rely upon because I have lots of games wishlisted and I know I've not been alerted to them being on sale.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if having a game on your wishlist actually sends you notifications when the price drops?

I want to say I got an alert on the PS5 informing me of a wishlisted game being on sale, but 1) I'm not sure I imagined it, and 2) I am *100%* certain, that, if it did occur, it's not a thing you can rely upon because I have lots of games wishlisted and I know I've not been alerted to them being on sale.

This external service does the trick, although you have to wishlist them again there, they will send a email when the price drops: https://psprices.com/

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Zero coil whine for me at any time in any game and I am particularly sensitive to high pitched sound. I'm in Australia (240V/50Hz power). Could it be worse with 120V/60Hz power or maybe worse in your particular house or area (old wiring, dirty power or frequency or voltage fluctuations)? Or maybe some PS5 power supply batches are more susceptible.
Now that's something I hadn't thought of, but yeah UK here with 240V/50Hz and my PS5 has absolutely zero coil whine too.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
I've been using the wishlist for years, and generally have about 20–30 games on it at any given time. I've never once gotten a notice about a price drop; I just periodically scan through the list, especially during sales.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wondering if anyone can help me out here. I got a text from my bank this morning denying a charge from Playstation due to potential fraud. I thought maybe my PS Plus expired, so I was going to log in and verify that before I approved/denied the charge. Turns out my password wasn't working, so I attempted a password reset figuring I might have forgotten it. Did not receive an e-mail.

So I checked further back in my e-mails and found out that my ID changed yesterday.

Anything I can do to rectify this? If I have to change anything, will my purchases transfer over? Anyone deal with a similar situation?

Thanks!

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Now that's something I hadn't thought of, but yeah UK here with 240V/50Hz and my PS5 has absolutely zero coil whine too.
UK here, absolutely can hear coil whine (susceptible to high pitch noises, PS5 in the open, live in a quiet area with low background noise, house rewired by a professional electrician 5 years ago) so I'm not convinced this is house power/electricity related.

The best way to tell if your unit has coil whine is to fire up the Oddworld game, the title menu still makes PS5's screech loudly. Unless the manufacturing process has changed every PS5 in existence is susceptible to coil whine and a lot of the time whether people hear it or not is down to other factors.

I would be very interested in hearing if later units produced do have the preventative 'goop' installed by default now as that would increase manufacturing cost and Sony currently don't consider it a fault.

udllpn

Oct 28, 2017
It has been a few weeks since the revised PS5 (model CFI-1100B01) started selling in Japan. If you search "CFI-1100B01" on Twitter you will see the announcements, the product pages, and the fact that it is 300 g. lighter than the previous model.

For those of your that live in Japan or speak Japanese: do we know anything regarding changes in the noise levels, ventilation, coil while, etc.? Has anyone in Japan analyzed or commented on the changes?

Thanks.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Wondering if anyone can help me out here. I got a text from my bank this morning denying a charge from Playstation due to potential fraud. I thought maybe my PS Plus expired, so I was going to log in and verify that before I approved/denied the charge. Turns out my password wasn't working, so I attempted a password reset figuring I might have forgotten it. Did not receive an e-mail.

So I checked further back in my e-mails and found out that my ID changed yesterday.

Anything I can do to rectify this? If I have to change anything, will my purchases transfer over? Anyone deal with a similar situation?

Thanks!
Contact Sony yesterday.

Oct 27, 2017
I posted this on the other thread but got buried, reposting here.

I was checking my PS Account and I noticed that I have a 0 dollars transaction for 'PlayStation Plus' paid with Prepaid Card (code). I didn't even use my PS5 the day before that nor any other Sony service. If I check said transaction on my PS5 on the description it says 'Free game - (same code as above )'. As far as I know no one has tried to get into my account as I don't have any email for password / email / PSN ID change, nor any 2FA codes of someone trying to get in. I contacted Twitter support but they weren't very helpful.