• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Hah, I do that with any game I think I'll really like. Digital copy to get the digital bonuses and play right away, physical for collection and then save on storage space. I'm lucky (not really) to have worked through this whole pandemic, so I got tons of disposable income.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Some stuff on Returnals online components

Make contact with the dead
While dying loops you back in time, your physical remains are left behind for other players to discover in their own worlds. The rewards to be reaped from these corpses are numerous, but be very careful: on Atropos, death is not always what it seems.

Daily Challenges
Outside the main campaign, test your skills in unique Daily Challenges. In this specifically devised mode, you must complete a single biome under unique conditions that change how you play, limiting your access to weapons and skills and forcing you to improvise as you go.

Global leaderboards
The scores you rack up in Daily Challenges will be added to global leaderboards, where you can face off against friends, set high scores for them to beat and challenge yourself to better their
www.playstation.com

Everything you need to know about PS5 sci-fi shooter Returnal - This Month on PlayStation | PlayStation

Fight to break the cycle of chaos on a hostile, alien planet.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Even if people genuinely believed the game had a chance of releasing this year when it was announced, are there still really a noteworthy amount of people who to this day still believe it wont be delayed into 2022? At this point we should just hope Horizon makes it this year.
It seems that lots of people on twitter believed that haha

OddRonald

Jul 31, 2020
God Returnal, Resi 8 and Rift Apart have all got me so tempted but I currently have Doom Eternal, Assassins creed origins, A Crack in Time, Spiritfarer, It Takes Two, The Outer Worlds and Man of Medan on the go, not to mention I wanted to play assassins creed Odyssey and Ghost of Tshiuma whilst I wait for newer titles to fall down in price

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I've said this before but there are a lot of narcissists in this thread (and this board) who lack the self-awareness to realise that no matter how much they follow industry news, how many times a week they check job listings for studios or how many devs they follow on social media, they don't really have a window into what's going on at Sony. And rather than admit to themselves how narrow their point of view is they instead try to convince themselves and everyone else that the reality is actually as narrow.

Absolutely true. And what makes it even more frustrating for those of us that work in the industry, is that we can't "clear the air," when a lot of misinformation and just outright FUD gets out there, because of NDA's and it not being on us to make statements in regards to the companies we work for. The many times I have to either bite my tongue, or be very, very careful about what I post is another ball of stress when it comes to being a part of gaming communities and discussions like this. lol

There's so much that doesn't get out there, even with leaks, it's insane. And to constantly see people grasping at these little nuggets and treating it like it's not only the whole picture, or that because they've heard of some of the inner workings, they "know the rub" is interesting to see, at best.

And I get it, believe me. Before I started my career in the gaming industry, I had no fricking idea what it was really like. I mean, I thought I knew, but the reality was that I didn't know jack shit, no matter how many issues of EGM or GamePro, or PSM magazine I read, or how many developer interviews I watched or read about. Working in this industry has absolutely changed my perspective on gaming as a whole, while also deepening my appreciation for the insane amount of work these studios and publishers put in to entertain us. I have such a profound respect that I never really had before, and I thought I already had a high level of appreciation and respect for the craft of making video games.

If only people knew how much of a "miracle" simply getting a game to release is. lol

Yup sounds exactly right and this Is why all the various moves make sense, sony is acting more like a venture capital kind of approach to certain studios etc while also using the weight and knowhow of their own support studios etc to help these games be successful have a new IP and start building relationships, and the MS deal was critical to them I was saying a while now the only way its sustainable as a service is them having more than enough content to help with the other titles that will be moving on and off all the time with them while nintendo is gonna Nintendo lol.

Lol, yeah, Nintendo is always gonna Nintendo, but at the end of the day, they're all trying to do what's best for their little slice of the gaming pie, while also trying to balance the continued health and growth of the gaming industry at large. This notion that these companies are at each other's throats like it's Game of Thrones is silly, to me. Believe me, if Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft all thought the best thing for them to do business wise was to merge into some kind of uber-publisher, they'd absolutely try to take it. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see services like Gamepass move to Nintendo and PlayStation years down the line (that's an extreme example to emphasize the point, not that I expect Gamepass to ever land on PlayStation in reality, just that if it made business sense for both Sony and Microsoft, they would absolutely consider it). It's all about business and making money, and reaching as many people as possible to achieve it.

Tangentially related, it's much like Sony trying to consolidate their overall business under one brand. They're a multi-media company, so why wouldn't they try to leverage that by using what is, arguably, their most popular brand, PlayStation, to expand their reach, while tying into a single machine? Like, "you love Sony Music, Pictures, Anime, Games? Well, if you have a PlayStation platform and PS+, you get access to all of that, with no additional services!" I can see them doing something like making partnerships with Disney or Netflix to have subscriptions to Disney + or Netflix somehow included or heavily discounted if you're a member of PS+. It all serves to make PlayStation an enticing proposition for consumers. I mean, I'm already paying X dollars for Hulu, Disney +, Netflix, Funimation, Crunchyroll, etc, but if by having a PS+ Subscription and a PlayStation 5, I get those services included, or at a discounted subscription price, you bet your ass I'd jump on it.

It's also terrifying from a game dev standpoint.

But so is indie dev. All game dev is terrifying lol.

Oh god, yes. Like, when we were launching our game, we were on pins and needles. You spend years developing something you're passionate about and proud of, and then you have to eventually put it in the hands of gamers the world over, and it's so fucking terrifying. Naturally, you love the work you've done, but that uncertainty about how the player is going to feel about it is super stressful. And then, if it's received well, it's such a sigh of relief, as well as a sort of "validation," that all of the blood, sweat, and tears was worth the effort. And on the other end, it can be devastating and heartbreaking if it's not received well, and you have to dig deep and be open to why it wasn't, and hopefully get the opportunity to try again with a new project, or, in rare circumstances, the opportunity to continue to refine and polish the previous release to make it better, and hopefully something that gamers will appreciate. Not every studio has the chance to pull a Hello Games with No Man's Sky, or a Sony Bend with Days Gone. Most of the time you end up with an Anthem, which is a shame, but one of the many harsh realities of the industry, and one of the things that makes our jobs so damn stressful. There are no guarantees in this industry, and we've seen it time and time again.

I mean, 8 months ago, the vast majority of us would have thought that Cyberpunk 2077 was going to be a surefire hit for CD Projekt Red, and I don't mean just sales (of which is most certainly sold a ton).

And that uncertainty hangs like the Sword of Damocles over developer's heads with each release.

And good luck on the next project!!

I can't imagine how extremely stressful it must be to spend years of your life on something together with dozens if not hundreds of other people, and then the moment people outside the studio start giving their impressions finally comes.

As I said above, it's incredibly stressful! The dreading of impressions, even when you think you have gold on your hands, is palpable. You just never know how your game is going to be received by both the enthusiast press and gamers alike. When our game launched, we threw a launch party, but it wasn't until we saw the impressions from gamers and media outlets that we celebrated. And then the work continues, where we try not to fuck things up going forward. It's like, "Okay, our game was a hit, but will this new update/planned feature ruin things? Will these balance tweaks piss off the player, and they drop our game like a bad habit? What about our next project? Will that have the same reception?" It's a never ending cycle!

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
It's encouraging to see PlayStation actively signing these projects, I just hope they sign some AAA projects from Japan as well.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, FOMO is hitting me...
Where are the PS5 drops Sony?!
200.gif

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that some big first party games are finally dropping, hopefully there's a sizeable new wave of PS5 stock soon.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

*hugs shinobi602*

On another topic, I wonder what sort of launch and post launch support we can expect for PSVR2. I haven't been keeping up on the PC VR scene but I'm going to imagine a lot of the PCVR titles from the last couple of years might be ported over to PSVR2 in addition to whatever Sony themselves are working on. I imagine the support will be considerably higher than what we got for PSVR. I wonder if we can reasonably expect at least several new releases of all shapes and sizes from internal and external devs each month, or if that's too much to expect at this point in the life of VR.

On another another topic, I see HipHopGamer is still going strong with his "inside info" and "analysis", lol. His theory about machine learning accessibility options would be damned nifty if it were to come true though. I'll just include the link in a spoiler if anyone wants to bother to watch

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
Went ahead and preordered Nier, Returnal and Ratchet today as birthday presents. This year is turning out to be pretty good for me gaming wise :)

Zaheer

Oct 27, 2017
On another another topic, I see HipHopGamer is still going strong with his "inside info" and "analysis", lol. His theory about machine learning accessibility options would be damned nifty if it were to come true though. I'll just include the link in a spoiler if anyone wants to bother to watch

HIPHOPGAMER! The dude that said the Dualsense would get hot and cold based on the environment in a game and tracks your heart rate and sweat to affect the game based on your emotions. 😂😂😂

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
BTW, do we know if Abandoned from Blue Box is a PlayStation IP? We know it's a PS5 exclusive at the very least.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Even if people genuinely believed the game had a chance of releasing this year when it was announced, are there still really a noteworthy amount of people who to this day still believe it wont be delayed into 2022? At this point we should just hope Horizon makes it this year.
I've accepted that 2022 is most likely, but… I remember precisely this attitude with Death Stranding. People laughed and were like "no way that's coming out in 2019", but then Kojima went and surprised these people. God of War will have had over 3.5 years in development by the end of the year, so it could happen but given the PS5 schedule for the second half of the year (Horizon FW, Deathloop, GhostWire: Tokyo, something The Last of Us related and a bunch of indies like Kena and Stray) they don't even need it and it could form part of their early 2022 schedule.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
No one should be surprised or upset when GOW gets officially moved to 2022. It was bold of SSM to target 2021 and they shouldn't feel bad if they don't make it, COVID hit so hard.

If it manages Q1 2022 I think that's still very impressive.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Since Sony proved that cross gen games perform much better on the newer gen, do you think more developers will follow suit?

Status
Not open for further replies.