• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I have to assume the very strong word of mouth around the game is making it do far better than people expected given the initial negative a response upon its reveal. It's well deserved too, the game is great.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Game is good. Most refreshing Pokemon game since Gen V for me.

The concerns seemed overblown in hindsight.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yup, very nice to read. Benji also said that sales were very healthy for Let's Go in the US, despite being down on the preorder performance in the weeks and months leading up to launch. Looks like the game was, as some suggested, less preorder-heavy than typical pokémon games.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Awesome to hear. I'm enjoying it way more than I thought. I haven't touched red dead or hitman all weekend.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
I can already taste the salt of the haters. Have been a fan since the first games and I find it a fresh experience. Something the pokemon games desperately needed

Oct 27, 2017
I tried out my brother's copy, and as soon as I caught a Rattata and the Pokemon caught music started playing, it all just hit me that I'll be catching the same Pokemon and only the same Pokemon yet again. Not for me unfortunately, but hopefully decent sales will give Game Freak the finances to give us a gen 8 game in line with Odyssey and Breath of the Wild, this being on a home console and all.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Benji also said it's tracking behind Sun and Moon but he's not sure yet if it's behind or ahead of X and Y. US physical sales of course.

What was X and Y's opening like? I expect LG to have far better digital share so it actually has a chance to open a fair bit better than X and Y overall.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Benji also said it's tracking behind Sun and Moon but he's not sure yet if it's behind or ahead of X and Y. US physical sales of course.

What was X and Y's opening like? I expect LG to have far better digital share so it actually has a chance to open a fair bit better than X and Y overall.
XY had a soft opening but freakishly long legs (it still outsells SuMo). It could well outdo that.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Whilst I don't think it will match previous mainline entries in units I think it will be right up there when it comes to revenue thanks to being $60 and due to the pokeball bundle being so popular. This is going to make a lot of money.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still dont think this will save Nintendo's lofty goals for switch sales. Especially until we start to get more than "better than we thought"

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
Game is good. Most refreshing Pokemon game since Gen V for me.

The concerns seemed overblown in hindsight.

Agreed, most fun I have had since Black/White.

I was very much not interested in getting this either, but the impressions rom the OT here made me impulse buy it. Not regretting it! Having a blast. No way we can go back to random encounters now!

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Great!
I must admit that I was pretty lukewarm on the game, but ended up buying it day one, and must say that I like it quite a bit.
So seeing as it's doing well, I'm pretty happy.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Whilst I don't think it will match previous mainline entries in units I think it will be right up there when it comes to revenue thanks to being $60 and due to the pokeball bundle being so popular. This is going to make a lot of money.
Yeah, in Japan, at least, Pokéball plus bundles accounted for about half of the sales so far according to information in the MC thread. If that's the case worldwide, then we're looking at an average selling price of $80, almost twice what 3DS pokémon games went for.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
I still dont think this will save Nintendo's lofty goals for switch sales. Especially until we start to get more than "better than we thought"
God forbid Nintendo only sells 19 million Switches instead of 20 in a single year while beating their SW targets. It's so weird how people have become so fixated on that 20 million number...

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
What kind of performance do you consider enough for pokémon for it to save Nintendo's sales goals? Mainline title-like sales? Better? Until we know, we can't really provide you with evidence that could dissuade you from your current position.

God forbid Nintendo only sells 19 million Switches instead of 20 in a single year while beating their SW targets. It's so weird how people have become so fixated on that 20 million number...
Well, Nintendo forecast it, so it's fair game to determine/discuss whether they have what it takes to reach that. The poster you responded to didn't claim there were severe consequences to not reaching it or anything.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
First Pokemon game I've bought in years. I helped! It's a good Pokemon game based on my very, very unqualified opinion.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, in Japan, at least, Pokéball plus bundles accounted for about half of the sales so far according to information in the MC thread. If that's the case worldwide, then we're looking at an average selling price of $80, almost twice what 3DS pokémon games went for.

Which is absolutely insane. I kinda wonder if we'll see Nintendo try similar things with other games considering just how successful it has been.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sounds about right

I don't know why a lot of gamers decided to aim their venom at this game, it looks so jolly

what'd eevee do to any of yall anyway?

but yeah word of mouth has been fantastic. mt. moon is fun now? GotG

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Question about the game for anyone who's played it: my younger sister is interested in Pokemon, but has been turned off by how long and slow the intros are for every game she's tried (I think Emerald and Alpha Saphire). For her if you're not in control of the character and free to do what you want in about 5 minutes, she's putting it down and going back to a game without endless boring text like Minecraft and Fortnite (I even had to help her get through the intro to Mario Odyssey, although she loved it after that.)

The last Pokemon game I played was X/Y, and I'm guessing from that this one probably wouldn't fit her criteria? I remember I got fed up with X/Y's intro, and I've made it through the recent Persona games' tutorials.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone that's actually played it seems to have loved it from what I've heard, wasn't planning on buying it but from how positive everyone is on it I might grab it if it ever goes on sale.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question about the game for anyone who's played it: my younger sister is interested in Pokemon, but has been turned off by how long and slow the intros are for every game she's tried (I think Emerald and Alpha Saphire). For her if you're not in control of the character and free to do what you want in about 5 minutes, she's putting it down and going back to a game without endless boring text like Minecraft and Fortnite (I even had to help her get through the intro to Mario Odyssey, although she loved it after that.)

The last Pokemon game I played was X/Y, and I'm guessing from that this one probably wouldn't fit her criteria? I remember I got fed up with X/Y's intro, and I've made it through the recent Persona games' tutorials.
This one gets you started in literally a minute.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Glad to hear, it's a really good game. Lots of elements/simplifications I hope to see replicated in Gen 8.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised that it's doing well. Still am upset about Gamefreak feeling the need to completely bar newer pokemon from the game, the removal of any sort of meaningful challenging content or balance (hell even multiplayer can't make up for it because of the incredibly disruptive balance decisions like the stat candies, and the lack of things like battle spot). For those who enjoy it, good for you, I still have no intention of buying the game myself

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
The 'initial negative reactions' were isolated to core gaming forums like us. Everywhere else were either indifferent (marketing hasn't started yet then) or positive.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017

You still have some event stuff, but it might be even faster than original Gen 1 was in terms of getting you to where you are actually playing the game.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God forbid I talk about sales... In a sales thread? Like wtf do you want out of this conversation other than a pat on the back for Nintendo?

What kind of performance do you consider enough for pokémon for it to save Nintendo's sales goals? Mainline title-like sales? Better? Until we know, we can't really provide you with evidence that could dissuade you from your current position.
Its not really about lets go sales in total, but how much lets go can push switch sales. I would see 5mil switch sales as the least it needs to be on track for their goal. Lets go sales would need to be a lot bigger than that because only a fraction will be purchasing a switch

Yeah you seemed worried because they won't be "saved" since they won't meet their 20 million goal.
Im not losing any sleep over this, I never once said that they *need* to or they are dead. Its beneficial to hit your goals, but not necessary. Youre reading wayyyyyy too deep into this

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
It's the best Pokemon game ever made (save for Gen 5) so yeah.

That is true. I don't like to admit it and I have to eat crow, but it's true. As a gameplay experience, this game is insanely fun (though I'd say "save for Gen 2" :P).

And the fact that a lot of features are half-baked (like the online options) makes me wish that we're getting a Let's Go *insert Johto Pkmn here* in a couple of years.

EDIT: Pokémon visible on the overworld and the fact that they scrapped the classic concept of the "pc box" are the biggest improvements in the franchise imho.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That is true. I don't like to admit it and I have to eat crow, but it's true. As a gameplay experience, this game is insanely fun (though I'd say "save for Gen 2" :P).

And the fact that a lot of features are half-baked (like the online options) makes me wish that we're getting a Let's Go *insert Johto Pkmn here* in a couple of years.
The online options were intentionally half baked for Let's Go, so I don't see any future "Let's Go" titles even attempting to fix that