• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
DlSgspKUcAASDu8

Who else is excited? I'll be watching VGC all weekend. Hope top cut is as diverse as last year.

Diamond0892

Nov 10, 2017
I'm not an expert of competitive Pokémon, but I like to watch some matches. They are exciting

By the way, in the last years, Masuda has always revealed a surprise in this event. Does anybody know when that usually happens? Like at the beginning, in the last day...

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not an expert of competitive Pokémon, but I like to watch some matches. They are exciting

By the way, in the last years, Masuda has always revealed a surprise in this event. Does anybody know when that usually happens? Like at the beginning, in the last day...
End of the opening ceremony.

Although, that stuff is usually up on their YouTube within a day at most.

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018

Should be in about 3.40 hours if I'm correct

Superbadr

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Probably the rumored gen 1 megas, but what's megas in a game you can beat with relative ease with an unevolved team?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder what the announcement will be this time..

Probably whatever that new Pokemon in let's go. Hopefully it's not something unoriginal like MewThree or MewZero or similar.

Personally I hope for a Smash Ultimate new Pokemon character reveal, something from Gen 7 perhaps like Decidueye, Lycantoc Dusk or Tapu Koko.

Diamond0892

Nov 10, 2017
Haven't Megas already been confirmed?

Mega evolutions have been confirmed, but only the already existing ones.

There are some "rumors" talking about trademarks of Pokemon names that may indicate that new Mega Pokémon are being introduced in the games, including Golem, Macham, Arbok, Weezing, Raichu, Jolteon, Vaporen and Flareon. However, that's just a rumor

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

There are some "rumors" talking about trademarks of Pokemon names that may indicate that new Mega Pokémon are being introduced in the games, including Golem, Macham, Arbok, Weezing, Raichu, Jolteon, Vaporen and Flareon. However, that's just a rumor
Said rumour list also had Hitmontop on the list, which isn't in let's go because apparently we can't have Pokemon past those in Kanto (although megas and alolans are ok?) so, doesn't seem likely.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been paying attention to the current meta so I have no idea what to expect.

I might try to watch some TCG matches this year in addition to the normal VGC stuff.

Diamond0892

Nov 10, 2017
Said rumour list also had Hitmontop on the list, which isn't in let's go because apparently we can't have Pokemon past those in Kanto (although megas and alolans are ok?) so, doesn't seem likely.

In the Twitter account I read it, it included Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan (I didn't want to name all of them), but I don't remember Hitmontop being included in that list, so I don't know...

Again, that's just a rumor, so it can perfectly be fake. Anyways, I'm excited for the announcement, whatever it ends up being!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no rumor. Basing announcements off of trademarks is just asking for disappointment.

Anyway, excited for this year, though I'll admit the meta feels stale to me at this point. Aren't there supposed to be legendaries this year? Or is that next year?

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
What were the announcements in the past again? I remember something about Pokken.

Probably whatever that new Pokemon in let's go. Hopefully it's not something unoriginal like MewThree or MewZero or similar.

Personally I hope for a Smash Ultimate new Pokemon character reveal, something from Gen 7 perhaps like Decidueye, Lycantoc Dusk or Tapu Koko.

TPCI calls the shots on all Pokemon promotion, spin off and/or crossover, so hey, you never know...

Haven't heard this rumor, interesting...

Enrico25

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
There is no rumor. Basing announcements off of trademarks is just asking for disappointment.

Anyway, excited for this year, though I'll admit the meta feels stale to me at this point. Aren't there supposed to be legendaries this year? Or is that next year?
There has always been an announcement at the end of the opening ceremony since 2013.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The new Mega thing is basically people remembering that we got trademarks back during the gen 6 prerelease that ended up being for Pokemon that got Mega Evolutions(in addition to other like Jynx IIRC) and now see these trademarks and assume that means we're getting more.

OP
OP
Lord Arcadio

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017

There are sub-legends like Zapdos and Landorus as usual, but none like Mewtwo or Kyogre. It is speculated that next year will be like 2016 with that tier of legends.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the rumored gen 1 megas, but what's megas in a game you can beat with relative ease with an unevolved team?

Awesome! You've played it to completion! Are you a tester? What did you use to tackle the Elite 4? Pikachu, Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Pidgey and Abra? What moveset did you use on Abra to deal with Bruno's Machamp?

Oh wait, you've not even played it so are just shitposting. I'm sure you could, if you wanted, have beaten Yellow with an unevolved team as well btw. If you're gonna say that unevolved could mean Snorlax, legendary birds, Onix etc - basically Pokemon that can't evolve so are balanced around that then you could say the same about pretty much every Pokemon game.

If you're suggesting that you could complete the game using a team of Caterpies, Weedles, Magikarps etc then fine. Do it and record it to show us all how badass you are. Even then, you probably can and you probably could in the originals too.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The announcement could also be "Hey, here's Lavender Town and Celadon, look what Giovanni looks like." Let's Go hasn't had the most exciting of reveals.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I'm expecting one of these

- Let's Go trailer + new Pokémon announcement
- New Pokken patch or DLC character
- New Pokemon Smash newcomer
- Something else, maybe Pokémon Go related

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
What were the announcements in the past again? I remember something about Pokken.

TPCI calls the shots on all Pokemon promotion, spin off and/or crossover, so hey, you never know...

Haven't heard this rumor, interesting...
2017: Kommo-O Z move and Red GX cards for the TCG
2016:Crabrawler and GX cards for the TCG
2015: Pokken Wii U
2014: Mega Slowbro
2013:Mega Kangaskhan

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The announcement could also be "Hey, here's Lavender Town and Celadon, look what Giovanni looks like." Let's Go hasn't had the most exciting of reveals.
The reveals tend to be things that they think competitive players will care about. Like when Crabrawler was revealed they showed it fighting Pokemon like Talonflame, Cress, and Lando.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That battle between Rajan and Wolf in the last tournament where Rajan KO'd his partner with Kartana to get the Beast Boost was some baller shit. Hope something cool happens this time too.

Awesome! You've played it to completion! Are you a tester? What did you use to tackle the Elite 4? Pikachu, Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Pidgey and Abra? What moveset did you use on Abra to deal with Bruno's Machamp?

Oh wait, you've not even played it so are just shitposting. I'm sure you could, if you wanted, have beaten Yellow with an unevolved team as well btw. If you're gonna say that unevolved could mean Snorlax, legendary birds, Onix etc - basically Pokemon that can't evolve so are balanced around that then you could say the same about pretty much every Pokemon game.

If you're suggesting that you could complete the game using a team of Caterpies, Weedles, Magikarps etc then fine. Do it and record it to show us all how badass you are. Even then, you probably can and you probably could in the originals too.
What's wrong with you?

OP
OP
Lord Arcadio

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Masuda will confirm the next VGC year still on 3DS. It makes sense.

Very strange they haven't confirmed that yet, but they put out this info last week:
https://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pok...emon-tournaments/earn-championship-points-vg/

Premier Challenges used to be split into four series (Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer). For 2019, they are splitting them into three instead (Sun, Moon, Ultra). With those names I don't think VGC 2019 will be on Let's Go lol. No one should have expected that anyway. They should just confirm it to get it over with.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Very strange they haven't confirmed that yet, but they put out this info last week:
https://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pok...emon-tournaments/earn-championship-points-vg/

Premier Challenges used to be split into four series (Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer). For 2019, they are splitting them into three instead (Sun, Moon, Ultra). With those names I don't think VGC 2019 will be on Let's Go lol. No one should have expected that anyway. They should just confirm it to get it over with.
They typically announce the ruleset later in the year. For the past two years we got announcements in October and the year before that was December.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the live reaction would be if they announced Let's Go for the main VGC next year.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017

They usually don't move onto the new games until January.

I still expect USUM with restricted legends next year, but there could be some Let's Go event as well.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Yay! I will be watching it, I love VGC. This year's Meta is really fun, I hope Incineroar it's in the finals. It's this year's top Pokemon, the only one that took the spot from Landorus

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe he's sick tired about the stupid hyperbole continuosly surrounding every discussion about the game. Who knows.

Nailed it. It's crazy how people have already decided that "you can use an unevolved team" to beat the game without even having played it. This isn't Gamefaqs, surely people can voice issues without resorting to silly shitposting. We have no idea how the late game is going to be balanced, so making hyperbolic pronouncements such as the one I quoted previously is ridiculous.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
Just introduce a Pokémon that is a super hard counter to the Genies and I'll be happy.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Just introduce a Pokémon that is a super hard counter to the Genies and I'll be happy.

There is only Landorus left in the top spot. Thundurus got a huge nerf in Gen VII. Landorus is just too good, good stats and good typing. At this point, they'd have to nerf ground type to nerf or counter Landorus

Or, you know, buff Ice Type

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
https://trainertower.com/category/results/
^You can look through here to see the teams that made top cut at live events.

https://3ds-sp.pokemon-gl.com/battle/usum/#wcs
^Battle Spot stats
Thanks for the data!

So from this, we can expect to see a bunch of Landorus, Incineroar, Tapus, Kartana, Mega Charizard, and Cresselia, as well as some other UBs, Snorlax, and some other Megas. But there are a lot of Pokemon on there I wouldn't expect, too -- these random one-off Accelgor, Kanto Raichu, and Clefairy (!?) I'm seeing give me some hope that we'll see a few wacky meta-breakers at this event as well. I remember a random Pachirisu unexpectedly doing really well a few years back, so I guess you never can say what we'll see for sure until it happens.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
There is only Landorus left in the top spot. Thundurus got a huge nerf in Gen VII. Landorus is just too good, good stats and good typing. At this point, they'd have to nerf ground type to nerf or counter Landorus

Or, you know, buff Ice Type
Ice would have to basically only be weak to fire for it to not be terrible and even then it would still probably get destroyed.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Thanks for the data!

So from this, we can expect to see a bunch of Landorus, Incineroar, Tapus, Kartana, Mega Charizard, and Cresselia, as well as some other UBs, Snorlax, and some other Megas. But there are a lot of Pokemon on there I wouldn't expect, too -- these random one-off Accelgor, Kanto Raichu, and Clefairy (!?) I'm seeing give me some hope that we'll see a few wacky meta-breakers at this event as well. I remember a random Pachirisu unexpectedly doing really well a few years back, so I guess you never can say what we'll see for sure until it happens.

You can defenitively expect some wacky meta-breakers. Less known or less experienced players that get to this instance are more likely to run a weird team strategy so they can have a bit of an edge against a more experienced player, but there are so many really good players that just know how to take on any team so you may not see those weird strategy in the streaming too much.

At the very least, expect a ton of players with Ally-Switch and anti-Ally Switch strategies. It's one of the top threats to the WC

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe another broken pokemon like Mega Salamance. Who knows...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can defenitively expect some wacky meta-breakers. Less known or less experienced players that get to this instance are more likely to run a weird team strategy so they can have a bit of an edge against a more experienced player, but there are so many really good players that just know how to take on any team so you may not see those weird strategy in the streaming too much.

At the very least, expect a ton of players with Ally-Switch and anti-Ally Switch strategies. It's one of the top threats to the WC
Weird-team strats tend to not last long since they're usually made for specific instances. If one piece fails to fall into place, it's fast track to losing

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The happy ends very short. Those guys normaly are the first one to be beating. In the end, most of the finalist ends using the same pokemons.
Players really can be good, but they don't make miracles. In the end or you just use the most strongs pokemon with not being banned yet or a 100% counter strategy.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Weird-team strats tend to not last long since they're usually made for specific instances. If one piece fails to fall into place, it's fast track to losing

The happy ends very short. Those guys normaly are the first one to be beating. In the end, most of the finalist ends using the same pokemons.
Players really can be good, but they don't make miracles. In the end or you just use the most strongs pokemon with not being banned yet or a 100% counter strategy.

Yup, that's why I said that there are too many good players that know how to take on any team, so you don't see them much, but you should expect them.

But put a good combo of an amazing player + a good bold strategy and you end up with Pachirisu, Whimscott, Raichu and Hitmontop as World Champs