• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

1 year later, were you able to secure a PS5 or Series X?

• Yes, I bought a PS5

Votes: 1,172 37.1%
  • Yes, I bought a Series X or S

Votes: 425 13.5%
  • Yes, I bought both

Votes: 978 31.0%
  • No, but I've actively been trying

Votes: 105 3.3%
  • No, but I haven't really tried too hard

Votes: 259 8.2%
  • No, but I am not in the market to buy one

Votes: 219 6.9%

• Total voters

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
My brother was able to secure a PS5 reservation for both of us at launch which was great.

Got an Xbox Series X a few months ago by following wario on Twitter. Really wanted Gamepass/Halo for my backup console and felt like it wouldn't hurt financially.

Jul 26, 2018
I can't believe it's almost 1 year. And yes! I was able to get both consoles around December.

I was also able to snatch the RTX 3080 FE last September on Nvidia's site thanks to Era's Discord sever.

I remember everybody was angry on the website keeps crashing and not getting one. Nvidia's site didn't even crash on me at all and my order went through smoothly! Thanks Era :D

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I got a PS5 at launch with relative ease. Right place/time I dunno but it was not a down to the second thing and I was kinda late. Think it was Walmart.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was able to get a PS5 when Walmart offered them early by mistake after the announcement lol. Very lucky moment.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Got my PS5 thanks to that weird Amazon link posted in the preorder thread here the night it first went up.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm impressed that ~ 1/3 of era members in this thread have both next gen consoles

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
I got a PS5 for myself and my brother on launch day by sitting in the online Sony store queue for like 15 hours. (I was not looking at my computer screen that long)

I don't have any desire for a Series X at the moment. Maybe Black Friday this year? Even then I don't mind waiting even longer.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Yep I had a preorder in for a PS5 and got it (close to) day one. Covid made the shipping a bit funky and slow but it got to me eventually.

Oct 27, 2017
Got a Series X day one.
Slept in for PS5 pre orders opening in the UK. Have been unable to find a PS5 in stock since.

I really should have tried harder to go to bed early. (Ignore that I'm posting this at 3am UK time right now.)

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Was able to get a PS5 and Series X at launch from Amazon easy (thanks to the Warrior 64 Amazon smile link that was posted here)

Was able to get a couple more PS5s for family members from PlayStation direct and GameStop more recently. PS direct was kind of a nightmare, took three tries waiting an hour and having them out of stock when I got to the end of the line before I finally got the email invite to buy one early. GameStop bundle was easy with the rewards membership, got one first time I tried.

Last edited:

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I started looking via the HotStock app back in May. Scored a Series X in June and a few weeks later in July I was able to secure a PS5.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Bought a series X when preorders opened up. Ordered a series s for my nephew. Got a PS5 shortly after launch. Decided to keep the PS5 over the series x. Got a series s mid way through 2021 because my XB1 fat was having issues. I got tired of not having the ability to use disks on the series s (along with worse backwards compatibility) and I just happen to get lucky with a series x halo edition pre-order. Still debating whether or not to keep the halo edition or just go PS5 and just accept series s's deficiencies.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got a launch PS5 from the Walmart shock drop, big ups to Wario.

No interest in a Series X because I have a PC.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I got lucky and ended up with both consoles at launch. I have 2 launch PS5s one of each type. Still want another Series X but im not in a massive hurry as I have one for now.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Me and multiple friends and family got ours at launch via the initial pre-orders at various retailers. It was probably easier back then compared to what it seems like now.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen the PS5, played it a bit, but I have yet to see it on any local store. Only Xbox I've seen is the Series S, sitting for months on a local store. No one wants it.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got my Series X at launch and PS5 a couple weeks after. Still play them both often.

Jun 6, 2020
Have a PC so no need for an xbox. And I'm gonna wait til they release a ps5 that isn't a complete eyesore. By then maybe there will be a backlog of exclusives for cheap.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
My wife randomly was checking Best Buy's website about a month ago, so an option..... Complained to me in real time that the icon would probably be grayed out or if she could click it then it would instantly say "sold out." She clicked and started freaking out when it appeared in her cart, then started freaking out even more when she realized her payment info wasn't saved. Thought we would lose it as she put it in, but it went through.

Obligatory: Fuck scalpers.

Oct 27, 2017
Bought a Series S. Want to buy a PS5 but that's not going to be in the cards for awhile it seems.

The Series S is a super cool machine though and Gamepass is fun.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Managed to get a PS5 (disc version) at Walmart and an XSX from Costco, both in late January. With the latter, I had to buy the bundle w/ the extra controller. In both instances, it felt like I won the lottery. The PS5 was particularly problematic. A friend of mine has been trying to get an XSX fairly consistently since launch, and is so absolutely bitter about the process. :(

Oct 31, 2017
Was able to snag a PS5 about a week after launch from Best Buy's website which worked well. I luckily checked the internet literally right before I was laying down to go to sleep and it was perfect timing, so pretty lucky.

I'd like a Series X especially for Halo Infinite, but the Xbox is always my "second priority" console behind the PlayStation and depending on what Nintendo's doing in a given time. Still, with Halo now having a release date and me really enjoying the initial Infinite tech test flight, the urge to try and pick up a Series X is increasing. Especially since the Infinite flight was especially rough on my One X, which was a bit surprising.

Think I'm going to wait on a Series X until I can walk right into a brick and mortar store and pick one up, but we'll see. Wonder how long that will actually be honestly, and I wonder how well I'll be able to tolerate playing Infinite on a One X in the meantime...

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
After it looked like getting a PS5 would be far too much effort, I then realized I don't really need one. All I'd want is Ratchet and Returnal, and I'm not going to pay close to $700 just for that. This is the first time I haven't gotten a new console in the launch window, and I don't miss it.

Taneleer

Dec 20, 2017
PNW
I bought the Series X on day 1, i wasn't able to get a PS5 until late February, it was more to "have one" than to play it. Haven't played any other games on it other than Ratchet & Clank, probably won't change for awhile.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I can't find one in Canada, admittedly I haven't tried that hard (I just want to go into a store randomly and find one or be able to order one online without having to F5). I don't really want to go down the scalper route.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna bother with Xbox but still haven't gotten a ps5. I tried a few times around launch and shortly after, but no longer actively trying. I'm done with that online circus bullshit, but if I could walk into a walmart/target right now and buy one off the shelf i would.

Edit: I actually saw series s on sale at Costco, yaknow those cardboard cards you take to the register.

trappedinsap

Jul 26, 2019
Got my PS5 through PlayStation Direct back in March. Luck of the draw I suppose… been playing almost every day since!

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I got a Ps5 at launch and many more for my friends. Honestly it's difficult but not impossible. Will pick up a Series XX update in the future for Gamepass