• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
This is how I would like to place my Atmos speakers. Looks nice. Did you try them in their up firing position? Any noticeable change in effect?

I went with the KEF Q50s, and initially they were in that position, because I wasn't interested in cable management and the installation, but I just wasn't all that impressed. Difference was negligible. I really wanted to get the most out of the purchase, so I made the effort, and I'm definitely glad I did. Huge improvement. Not as effective as a ceiling installation, but an excellent substitute if that's not a possibility. You get a real dynamic soundscape. I would make the change for sure. You'll be much happier.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
7WPLYeK.jpg

yP7SRe7.jpg

fC27tBX.jpg

caN6mAw.jpg

ZMRkO7T.jpg

Doesn't look like a catalogue but it's functional (and unabashedly nerdy).

55" 4K Samsung as the primary TV which is also hooked up to my gaming computer, with a 24" LG for the second computer monitor. Then I have a 1080p projector and a 120" projector screen that lowers in front of the TV.
Just got a 20" CRT about a month ago, for light gun games.

Everything except for the NES top loader and Virtual Boy (those are just for display) is hooked up and ready to go:

PS2, RGB modded N64, Xbox, and Wii all running into an OSSC. A Switch, Wii U, PS3, PS4 Pro, Xbox 360, NES Classic, PlayStation Classic, Genesis Mini, and SNES Classic running into a series of HDMI switches.
Also got a real SNES hooked up to the CRT. My other consoles are in storage but I'd like to get an ODE for my Dreamcast and get that hooked up too.

Any source can be sent to either the TV or the projector.

Wall mount Ikea racks for all the DVD case-sized games.
Oh, if you like Star Wars ship miniatures, you should check out the X-Wing miniatures game by Fantasy Flight Games! The models are fantastic quality, and the game behind it is one of, if not the, most fun, affordable, and approachable miniature games around.

It's reverse chronological order, and you can see my descent into obsession, lol. I probably have close to triple that amount now... >.>

Edit - Ooh, I see your TIE Defender, so you already know about it.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, if you like Star Wars ship miniatures, you should check out the X-Wing miniatures game by Fantasy Flight Games! The models are fantastic quality, and the game behind it is one of, if not the, most fun, affordable, and approachable miniature games around.

It's reverse chronological order, and you can see my descent into obsession, lol. I probably have close to triple that amount now... >.>

Hehe, yup! The X-Wing TIE Defender miniature is great. I do keep an eye on what they have. I was tempted to get the Armada Executor miniature, but just couldn't pull the trigger.

I started out with the Micro Machines cause I had some of them as a kid and they had other sci-fi series (Star Trek, Babylon 5) and they were roughly similar size and most of them were okay quality.

My collection's more based around "iconic sci-fi ship designs" than making sure they're all from the same series of miniatures, though the ones in the photos you posted do look really, really nice together, especially in that display cabinet.

MOwg7oT.jpg

Turrican2

Oct 28, 2017
Hamburg
Setup looks fantastic and really clean! How do you find the Sonos with the ps5? I recently bought a 55 inch CX and I'm looking into some kind of audio setup to go with it!

Thanks man!
To be honest I game most of the time with my headset, but I played a lot of Ghost of Tsushima with it and liked it.
The Beam sounds much better than the TV speakers but it is still only a soundbar.
Anyway considering it's small footprint I would say it punches above it's weight.
If you have enough space and want to go Sonos the Arc might be good choice too.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Do you have a link to that desk?
Due for an upgrade soon and love the look of that. Also definitely stealing the idea of putting a kallax under it

Sure :) It's a 200cm and a 120cm Lagkapten from IKEA - They're the Linnmon replacements. I just pinched the two together using some of the legs, screwed them in so they're being held firmly together, with an Alex desk riser on it

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
Thanks! The frames are those "movie theater frames" which makes it easy to swap out posters. I have about 12 different posters I rotate out depending on season/mood. And the PS5 wants its own space--it doesn't want to be included with the normal A/V stuff:

R5j74TN.jpg

What a beauty!

Think you are right, was looking up some boxes to put it on top and the Controllers in. Do you remember what cable sleeve you are using for the PS5, looks good and I have to redo mine anyway?

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Think you are right, was looking up some boxes to put it on top and the Controllers in. Do you remember what cable sleeve you are using for the PS5, looks good and I have to redo mine anyway?

Nothing fancy:

Amazon.com: New Design PREMIUM 63'' Cable Management Sleeve, Best Cords Organizer System for TV Computer Office Home Entertainment, DIY Adjustable Black - White Cord Sleeves Wire Cover Concealer Wrap: Computers & Accessories

Buy New Design PREMIUM 63'' Cable Management Sleeve, Best Cords Organizer System for TV Computer Office Home Entertainment, DIY Adjustable Black - White Cord Sleeves Wire Cover Concealer Wrap: Cable Sleeves - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

It's easy to cut and white/black reversible.

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
Nothing fancy:

Amazon.com: New Design PREMIUM 63'' Cable Management Sleeve, Best Cords Organizer System for TV Computer Office Home Entertainment, DIY Adjustable Black - White Cord Sleeves Wire Cover Concealer Wrap: Computers & Accessories

Buy New Design PREMIUM 63'' Cable Management Sleeve, Best Cords Organizer System for TV Computer Office Home Entertainment, DIY Adjustable Black - White Cord Sleeves Wire Cover Concealer Wrap: Cable Sleeves - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

It's easy to cut and white/black reversible.

Thank you, looked to me like they are separated inside.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Moved out of my tiny apartment to a new, bigger place last month. Everything is more or less in place now, and I finally took some pics:

sexcBU3.jpg

A few upgrades since last time. I cut cable at long last and switched to gigabit internet, and I had them install the router in the living room instead of in my office upstairs. So I have Ethernet going to each console directly now; getting ridiculous download speeds on PS5...

Did a better job of hiding wires than I did at my old place, but ultimately this is a somewhat temporary setup. With new consoles last fall and new living room furniture this year (among a lot of other expenditures) it just wasn't the right time to make wholesale changes.

But some of this stuff is getting old. I've had that TV stand and the surround sound system for over a decade, and while I love my OLED, it's a 2016 and I do want to take advantage of things like VRR before too long. I'm thinking maybe around holiday 2022 it'll be time for a new TV, and I'll probably upgrade to 65" now that I've got the room for it. That'll necessitate a new AV receiver as well, so that'll be the time to really invest in a new TV stand and possibly a wireless surround solution as well. I did run speaker wire for 5.1 at my new place, but this is the last time I'm doing that!

x7yMOgM.jpg

benaLhj.jpg

cRbo8Py.jpg

I also threw out all of my old game shelves, which I got at Target back in 2008 and were barely still in one piece. I ended up replacing them with a single cabinet to display in my office.

IEdOqgi.jpg

In hindsight, I wish I'd gotten one that was 3 doors wide, as I could have spread things out better and put a few more old consoles on display. But not keeping the consoles in their boxes was sort of a last minute idea, and ultimately the priority was to get something that would hold all of my games.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Moved out of my tiny apartment to a new, bigger place last month. Everything is more or less in place now, and I finally took some pics:

sexcBU3.jpg

A few upgrades since last time. I cut cable at long last and switched to gigabit internet, and I had them install the router in the living room instead of in my office upstairs. So I have Ethernet going to each console directly now; getting ridiculous download speeds on PS5...

Did a better job of hiding wires than I did at my old place, but ultimately this is a somewhat temporary setup. With new consoles last fall and new living room furniture this year (among a lot of other expenditures) it just wasn't the right time to make wholesale changes.

But some of this stuff is getting old. I've had that TV stand and the surround sound system for over a decade, and while I love my OLED, it's a 2016 and I do want to take advantage of things like VRR before too long. I'm thinking maybe around holiday 2022 it'll be time for a new TV, and I'll probably upgrade to 65" now that I've got the room for it. That'll necessitate a new AV receiver as well, so that'll be the time to really invest in a new TV stand and possibly a wireless surround solution as well. I did run speaker wire for 5.1 at my new place, but this is the last time I'm doing that!

x7yMOgM.jpg

benaLhj.jpg

cRbo8Py.jpg

I also threw out all of my old game shelves, which I got at Target back in 2008 and were barely still in one piece. I ended up replacing them with a single cabinet to display in my office.

IEdOqgi.jpg

In hindsight, I wish I'd gotten one that was 3 doors wide, as I could have spread things out better and put a few more old consoles on display. But not keeping the consoles in their boxes was sort of a last minute idea, and ultimately the priority was to get something that would hold all of my games.

Super cool setup. Looks like you've got all your bases covered for this gen!

Love the cabinet with the Wii and PS2 and Nintendos there (and the 360 up top). Nice collection you got goin. I'm jealous of the Skull Kid.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have any updated setup pics, but I did get these neat looking portraits from some game shop I visited to hang up.

KXki1mx.jpg

51L9w3x.jpg

5UGr7fo.jpg

Last edited:

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Picked up a 32" CRT and got it situated on a garage shelving unit so I don't have to worry about weight capacity. Moved all the retro consoles over to it. It's essentially fully set up at this point, except for the Raspberry Pi in the white box.

9A0MeNx.jpg

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah the models are great. I have some of them, too. But I only played the game like ... once? Lol. I liked it though.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
qjqBSbF.jpeg

Moved into a new apartment somewhat recently, with the help of my wife I'm pretty damn happy with this setup. I'm tried to make it a minimal blend of retro and modern. Though I may want to upgrade soon to a new center console with better console storage potential.

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
Picked up a 32" CRT and got it situated on a garage shelving unit so I don't have to worry about weight capacity. Moved all the retro consoles over to it. It's essentially fully set up at this point, except for the Raspberry Pi in the white box.

9A0MeNx.jpg
Looks great! Is that an IKEA Bror? I've been hunting for something strong enough to hold my P/BVM. Is the hight comfortable?

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Stand I'm using.

It's an industrial-strength shelving unit. I only built it to half the height and didn't bother with the final shelf on it, but it's the correct dimensions for my TV. The height is very comfortable from where I sit (about 6 feet away). You could always find a smaller unit to match your PVM. I doubled-up on the top shelf since MDF is not the strongest surface, and in the future I might get a thick piece of hardwood cut to the correct size. But the metal brackets throughout could easily support this TV a couple times over.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
qjqBSbF.jpeg

Moved into a new apartment somewhat recently, with the help of my wife I'm pretty damn happy with this setup. I'm tried to make it a minimal blend of retro and modern. Though I may want to upgrade soon to a new center console with better console storage potential.

Where did you get the 3 cubic shelves on the left?

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Sure :) It's a 200cm and a 120cm Lagkapten from IKEA - They're the Linnmon replacements. I just pinched the two together using some of the legs, screwed them in so they're being held firmly together, with an Alex desk riser on it
I'm going to have to do something similar. That look is exactly what I was looking for (albeit black) but I hastily bought two different IKEA tables and it's not quite how I wanted. The edges of them are too round, and I want a longer side desk piece mostly so I can have more of a work space for a keyboard/music stuff. That and the depth of the table seems a little short for a 27" monitor and may be a little too high at least compared to my desk at work. I can still use the tables I got elsewhere in my house so it's not a total loss, I just got excited and wanted to have SOMETHING to put my PC on. I don't have a good shot of my whole set up yet but after I clean up a little and move some more of my collectible stuff up to my office I'll be sure to post it.

Lots of work still to do to get my set up how I want it ultimately but I'm trying to save some money after getting a new pc entirely.

Jtrizzy

Nov 13, 2017
Have some work to do, but new apartment shots in Nashville. Need to work on cable management, hang pictures, and get the PS5 and PC off the floor!

Desk: LG 34" Ultrawide, Uplift V2 60x30, MBP 2018, Airpods Pro, Sonos Roam, Omni 20+, Steelcase Gesture, super old iPad (sidecar)

Den: LG C9 55" Sanus articulating wall mount, Apple TV 4K, Sonos ARC, 2x Sonos One SL, PS5, PC: 9900k/3080.

Bzqhk1e.jpg

vqOWgwW.jpg

4FWpz8n.jpg

m6OR47z.jpg

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
Here is the gaming set up in my small city apartment, aka the Couch area where I game on my PS5 (Ratchet&Clank was awesome), my Switch or the beautiful Anbernic RG351M.

Z6MINH.jpg
Turrican2, how does this Sonos setup work? Do you effectively have two separate audio systems laid out in this image?

My understanding was that you couldn't truly pair dedicated front channels with any of Sonos' soundbars. You seem to have a Beam (?) flanked by two Fives.

IIRC, some owners have run two Fives paired to the soundbar as rear channels, and "trick" the setup by placing the Fives up front while playing stereo music in full mode. That still wouldn't get you dedicated multi-channel like separates, and wouldn't be suitable for movies, games and other media with a true discrete surround sound stage.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Turrican2, how does this Sonos setup work? Do you effectively have two separate audio systems laid out in this image?

My understanding was that you couldn't truly pair dedicated front channels with any of Sonos' soundbars. You seem to have a Beam (?) flanked by two Fives.

IIRC, some owners have run two Fives paired to the soundbar as rear channels, and "trick" the setup by placing the Fives up front while playing stereo music in full mode. That still wouldn't get you dedicated multi-channel like separates, and wouldn't be suitable for movies, games and other media with a true discrete surround sound stage.
From what I recall, they have said that they use the fives for music and the beam for TV audio.
It seems like an unusual and expensive setup, but I suppose you have to make do with it if you want to stay in the Sonos ecosystem and are dissatisfied with using sound bars for music.

Sonos don't have a multichannel amplifier, and you can only pair two amps for 4 channel audio.
If Sonos were to produce something like a 9-channel AV receiver, I think that would open up the home theater enthusiast market for them.
Though I suppose the alternative might be to buy a Port and hook it up to your AVR of choice instead.

OP
OP
tabris

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Big update. Still want to do some adjustments but here is my new setup for next couple of years. Taken from multiple angles:

My Living Room - PS5, Xbox Series X, Apple TV 4K, LG C1
Note: I can remove the reflections as the TV comes out and the electronic blinds easily go up and down

0bzAf6y.jpg

Ga1I6Bc.jpg

2TqAofA.jpg

uPcdZ3Y.jpg

My Office w/ Standing Desk - Apple MacBook Air M1, LG Ultrafine 5K, iPad Pro

jw4bfMl.jpg
9RQ4Fir.jpg

nU4rkHn.jpg

2IodgSf.jpg

My Bedroom - Apple TV 4K (Hidden), Switch (Hidden), LG CX

wfLN1o9.jpg

eyPZ7FZ.jpg

H9AFXbQ.jpg

SOxNGHl.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
tabris

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
And here is the non-gaming related "cribs" style additional photos.

My Bar

uQ1Sxif.jpg

My Kitchen

ykC7kBQ.jpg

o6mbcjs.jpg

My Patio

DpbnocA.jpg

POTONCH.jpg

iMwfqHd.jpg

jsrI9w5.jpg

IvOI3vc.jpg

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very jealous of a view with active ship activity. My old office at my last job had a direct view of the East River in New York and for 5 years, I had such a great time just watching the shipping activity going up and down it. Something I've always wanted but is not really realistic for me anytime soon.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are you a CEO of a company? I'm guessing you're the CEO of a company.
I don't know if Tabris is rich, but Tabris definitely has good taste and keeps his area clean and minimal and I think that goes a long way in making his place look nice.

Also my comment isn't meant to be a diss or anything negative. I have a similar taste as tabris and admire how he did his setup. I loved to hoard things but as I grow older to realize it's hard to keep it all organized and displayed nice without my setup looking cluttered. It also gives me anxiety when working in a cluttered space so I did a lot of decluttering and tried to make my setup in a way where I don't see a lot of my stuff out in the open while still having it easily accessible.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if Tabris is rich, but Tabris definitely has good taste and keeps his area clean and minimal and I think that goes a long way in making his place look nice.

Also my comment isn't meant to be a diss or anything negative. I have a similar taste as tabris and admire how he did his setup. I loved to hoard things but as I grow older to realize it's hard to keep it all organized and displayed nice without my setup looking cluttered. It also gives me anxiety when working in a cluttered space so I did a lot of decluttering and tried to make my setup in a way where I don't see a lot of my stuff out in the open while still having it easily accessible.
Well it's not necessarily the design sensibilities (which I agree are nice), but rather the location and everything within the apartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.