• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
8.2m LTD figure means an unimpressive november, despite being better than nov 17.

Unless Nintendo is underestimating. Can be the case because it happened in the past, like when they said that Wii sold more than 3 million and was actually 3.8m.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Thanks Benji !

So if I understand you correctly, the best selling console of the year should be the Switch, unless something unexpected happens, and all platforms are having an exceptionnal year ?

PS4 should be significantly down YOY and that isnt growth,so i dunno if one would call that an exceptional year based on the games they have had out and everything.

Xbox One and Switch should be significantly up, although there will be some people saying MS didnt do that well last year, its silly due to the amount of growth they will have.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Would they know anyone else's sales? Their own might be the only comparison they can make
They know. If they were #1, they would say it. These companies always twist whatever stats they can to make themselves be #1 in a given time period for some kind of metric. Microsoft has done some hilarious gymnastics to make themselves look better in PR during the lifetime of the Xbox One.

All that being said, "Sony sold more" doesn't really add much meaningful to the conversation in context of the statements Nintendo is making, so it definitely comes off as console warring, whether the poster meant it or not.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
'And that doesn't even take into account that one of the most anticipated video game events of the year is still to come: the Dec. 7 launch of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate game. As previously announced, the game has become not only the most pre-sold Nintendo Switch game of all time, but also the most pre-sold Super Smash Bros. game ever in the series.'

Good grief! Are there any figures for this? I'd love to know what pre-order figures are looking like for Smash. Very surprised they're higher than Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey!

I love when Nintendo is doing well. Watching their performance is an absolute roller coaster - when they're doing well it makes me feel a bit giddy :@)

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
I'm starting to doubt the non-US sales actually. In the US it seems to be doing extremely well, on track to hit the goal based on the US's share of the global market, but other markets like Japan don't seem to be seeing the same increase YoY.
This is my thoughts exactly. I even think US is doing more than it's fair share, but even still won't be able to make up for the slight underperformance in other regions, most notably japan.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Check again in 2 weeks. The switch is about to open up a big gap on last years numbers in Japan. What other markets do we actually have data for?

Japan will be fine. Smash is going to be huge there.

You think it'll be up ~50% for the whole quarter there with the gap that'll open in December? I'm not necessarily doubting it, I just think that's a tall order for one month of sales.

I think Europe is significantly up compared to last year, even the UK.

I wasn't aware of that, UK sales seemed to be up but not by all that significant of a margin. And I don't remember hearing anything (positive or negative) about the rest of Europe this year. I would've thought if it was up heavily we would've heard some PR from the head of Nintendo France or something like that.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Tbh as someone who doubted 20 million all year.....
They are probably going to end up hitting it now or very close.

I still think they won't make it but they will be close or they might just stuff the channels but that will have an effect on Q2 shipments. The current Q1 line up is IMO very weak and I think Nintendo thought Labo would have bigger effect.

I'm starting to doubt the non-US sales actually. In the US it seems to be doing extremely well, on track to hit the goal based on the US's share of the global market, but other markets like Japan don't seem to be seeing the same increase YoY.

Pokemon and Smash are bigger in US than in other regions especially Smash. There still big in EU but not us big as in US.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
They know. If they were #1, they would say it. These companies always twist whatever stats they can to make themselves be #1 in a given time period for some kind of metric. Microsoft has done some hilarious gymnastics to make themselves look better in PR during the lifetime of the Xbox One.

All that being said, "Sony sold more" doesn't really add much meaningful to the conversation in context of the statements Nintendo is making, so it definitely comes off as console warring, whether the poster meant it or not.

That happens when the source is the NPD reports.

However they are using internal data so they won't know how much Sony sold.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
2019 will be the biggest year for Switch

- Riding the Smash Ultimate Hype
- Smash Ultimate DLC
- Pokemon Generation 8 will get all Pokemon fans on board
- Animal Crossing Switch will push HARD. Really hard.
- Luigi's Haunted Mansion
- Fire Emblem
- Yoshi
- Metroid Prime 4 // Bayonetta 3, i believe one will come for the "critically acclaimed" hit of the holiday season
- Potential Zelda or Mario

I think 2019 has a better shot at the Dec NPD record but 2020 more likely for the peak overall sales. Breadth of 1st/2nd party library, more 3P titles, higher chance for followups of the EPD prestige twins (3D Zelda/Mario - I'd flip their launch frames this time), larger adoption time/rate for revision(s) (given a 2nd half 2019 launch), maybe another one of Nintendo's Labo-esque wonky initiatives actually pans out by then (if they've got more ideas in the pipeline), more competitive pricing throughout the full year, maybe a discount model launch if the 2019 revision is a "Pro" model (or vice-versa). Think the full 12 months (whether 2020 calendar for 2020 FY) will be more conducive to sustained sales.

I think they're targeting a DS-esque sales curve for this (not DS numbers but similar trend).

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Japan is 6% behind compared with last year but this is not counting Smash yet, nor that Japan best seller month is December by a wide margin

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
You think it'll be up ~50% for the whole quarter there with the gap that'll open in December? I'm not necessarily doubting it, I just think that's a tall order for one month of sales

Not sure really. I'd be surprised if it was quite 50% above last years numbers though I think the switch will be significantly up in Q4 as well.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, I see. I think Canada is about 10% of US, right? So yeah, 700k seems like a reasonable estimate. Even going with 600k, we are looking at 1400k units for Switch in November of this year.
Wait, the NPD numbers we get are only US sales, unless I misunderstood the conversation.

i have the LTD at 7.38M at October.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
'And that doesn't even take into account that one of the most anticipated video game events of the year is still to come: the Dec. 7 launch of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate game. As previously announced, the game has become not only the most pre-sold Nintendo Switch game of all time, but also the most pre-sold Super Smash Bros. game ever in the series.'

Good grief! Are there any figures for this? I'd love to know what pre-order figures are looking like for Smash. Very surprised they're higher than Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey!

I love when Nintendo is doing well. Watching their performance is an absolute roller coaster - when they're doing well it makes me feel a bit giddy :@)
Me and many others are expecting Ultimate to have the highest opening month exclusive sales for a game ever in the US. Surpassing the record set by Halo 3 of 3.3M.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo will ride some SERIOUS momentum with TGA reveals + Smash in December, and NSMBD, Yoshi and Fire Emblem in Q1 next year.

Damn... These numbers are super impressive for US. Now we wait for the rest of November and December to see if Nintendo can replicate the same numbers in Japan and Europe.

I'm starting to think they will reach their 20M forecast. Smash is gonna be tremendous.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I think 2019 has a better shot at the Dec NPD record but 2020 more likely for the peak overall sales. Breadth of 1st/2nd party library, more 3P titles, higher chance for followups of the EPD prestige twins (3D Zelda/Mario - I'd flip their launch frames this time), larger adoption time/rate for revision(s) (given a 2nd half 2019 launch), maybe another one of Nintendo's Labo-esque wonky initiatives actually pans out by then (if they've got more ideas in the pipeline), more competitive pricing throughout the full year, maybe a discount model launch if the 2019 revision is a "Pro" model (or vice-versa). Think the full 12 months (whether 2020 calendar for 2020 FY) will be more conducive to sustained sales.

I think they're targeting a DS-esque sales curve for this (not DS numbers but similar trend).

IMO 2019 will be Switch peak year mostly because competition will be gearing towards next gen and they will probably be a permanent price drop with the new model. In 2020 Nintendo will have huge competition in Holiday season coming for new consoles kinda like 3DS had back in the day.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Both reports say United States soooo...the 8.2M number is off.

Yeah the 4.8M from last year, which they say is the US, lines up with the full NPD estimate that I have. Hmmm, there's no way Switch only sold 800-900k in November, so something is off. I thought it was Canada not being included but this makes me unsure.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
The Spidey bundle was impossible to find but the impression I got was that was because it was a very limited edition designed to act as a Black Friday doorbuster. (And I'm sure very successful at selling more PS4's itself, I just don't think it's unavailability is indicative of massive sales by it's lonesome, though to be clear I'm sure all three systems had massive sales numbers)

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
20 million is not happening guys. But this isn't negative for Switch, Nintendo just aimed too high.

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
cvV0XoD.gif

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
20 million is not happening guys. But this isn't negative for Switch, Nintendo just aimed too high.
Can you stop with derailing the thread like this? People here are trying to figure out how the numbers match up with the reliable insight we have received from Benji, no one is trying to justify the 20M number with this puzzle, like you are trying to make it seem.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Good times for Nintendo.

3DS has a legendary library already, but the switch did a miracle for the company.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Which would be wrong as it did more than that in a week.
Are we sure that Nintendo is talking in terms of revenue or unit sales? It could be with the higher Switch price they had more revenue than the Wii did in a Black Friday week... Not sure how to square these numbers up yet if they meant unit sales.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something isn't accurate here

Because Switch was up significantly YoY every week of the month. With BF having this sort of growth the estimates people are putting up are essentially impossible. Its higher than that

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't aware of that, UK sales seemed to be up but not by all that significant of a margin. And I don't remember hearing anything (positive or negative) about the rest of Europe this year. I would've thought if it was up heavily we would've heard some PR from the head of Nintendo France or something like that.

They sold an estimated 90k units during BF week this year. That's more than during its launch week in the UK.

We'll have (hopefully) some data for Spain the upcoming days and PR after Smash launch.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something isn't accurate here

Because Switch was up significantly YoY every week of the month. With BF having this sort of growth the estimates people are putting up are essentially impossible. Its higher than that

It's not the first time NoA reports lower than accurate numbers, so yeah doesn't surprise me.