• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thread title doesn't match the poll...

• N64 (F-Zero X, Wave Race 64, MK64, Diddy Kong R, Excitebike, RR64, Beetle Adventure, 1080 etc)

Votes: 478 35.9%
  • PS1 (Gran Turismo 1 and 2, RR Type 4, Wipeout 1-3, CTR, Rollcage, Rally Cross, NFS series etc)

Votes: 853 64.1%

• Total voters

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Where's Saturn? Next to ur anus lawlz.

Focusing on the actual question, I think N64 will win this poll and I can't really be mad because because as much as I love the PS1 and it's racing games, F-Zero and Excitebike were two of my most played games that gen. I feel overall the PS1 has a somewhat more well-rounded and deeper library of racing games but F-Zero X is just on another level. Then there's also Wave Race which is OP af and weighs heavy for me too. I will still give it to the PS1 overall but I could be persuaded either way.

Feel free to suggest more to add but here are a few more games:

N64:

Wipeout 64
Extreme-G 1 and 2
Mickey's Speedway USA
Cruis'n USA
San Franciso Rush
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
Rush 2
World Driver Championship
Top Gear Rally 1 and 2
Top Gear Overdrive
Snowboard Kids

PS1:

Motorhead
Circuit Breakers
Colin Mcrae Rally
TOCA 1 and 2
Rage Racer
Jet Moto
NASCAR Rumble
Destruction Derby 2

More recent vs polls:

Sony vs Microsoft vs Nintendo according to Sega's output in 6th Gen
Which older console has the best hidden gems
Did Square reach higher peaks in the 90's in or outside of FF according to the 2 best games from each set of games
Part 1 of the 'trilogy' trilogy: What is the best trilogy of the HD era, era?
Part 2: Which is the best 3D trilogy that was either before the HD era or didn't quite fit there
Part 3: What is the best home console trilogy of the 3D era, era?
Who had the best first party output in the PSWii60 gen?
7 of gamings elite franchises battle to see who had the greatest one-two punch/two game streak
90s vs 00s vs 10s Nintendo first party
Rockstar vs Naughty Dog on the PS3 and PS4
Valve vs id Software
Street Fighter 2-5 vs Smash Bros Melee-Ultimate
Half-Life 2 vs Resident Evil 4
PS2, PS3 and PS4 vs Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One for racing games
2D Mario vs 2D Sonic after the 16-bit era
Best Castlevania era

Older vs polls:

Capcom vs Konami on the PS2
1998 vs 2001 vs 2004 vs 2007 vs 2017
SMW/64 vs ALTTP/OoT vs Super Metroid/Metroid Prime
Consensus for third best Zelda game
Burnout 3 vs F-Zero GX
Bayonetta 1 and 2 vs DMC 3 and 5 vs NGB and NG2
All the games in the one above duke it out individually with MGR in the mix
PS1 vs PS2 vs PS3; which is the PS Triple?
Silent Hill 1-3 vs Resident Evil 1-3
SNES vs DS
Best 3D platforming series that originated on Sony consoles
Simulation vs Arcade vs Simcade vs Rally vs Futuristic vs Kart; best racing subgenre
PS2 vs DC, XBOX and GC combined
Metroid vs Metroid
2D Metroid vs Igavanias (all credit to Keym my mortal enemy for the thread idea)
Games stuck on the PS2 (with a poll cause f--- it why not)
Square, Enix vs Square Enix
Most revolutionary game of the 90s
Best 2D beat em up
Football vs American football
Football vs all other sports

FPS:
Battle of the long running FPS franchises
90s vs 00s vs 10s
Multiplayer FPS' of the 2000s
Console multiplayer FPSs of 8th gen
Singleplayer FPS' of the 90s
Half Life 2 vs Doom Eternal vs Titanfall 2

Troll polls:
DMC 1,2,3,4,5 or DMC
Getting Era to willfully vote BOTW and TLOU2 as being worse than Superman 64 tee hee

Sega:
Genesis vs Saturn vs Dreamcast
Sega vs Nintendo 6th Gen
Sega on the Dreamcast vs Sega on the GC, Xbox and PS2 combined!

Fighting games:
Street Fighter vs Street Fighter
Chun Li's classic costume vs alpha costume (all credit to Jaded Alyx my mortal enemy for the thread idea)
Best one two punch of fighting games by developers in the 8th gen
7th gen 2D fighters
6th gen best fighting game

Square 'trilogy':
N64 Rare vs PS1 Square
Capcom 1996-2005 vs Square 1992-2001
90s Nintendo vs 90s Square

Zelda 'trilogy':
Final Fantasy or Zelda: which has more 10/10 entries
Mario or Zelda: which has more 10/10 entries
Sekiroulsborne or 3D Zelda: which has more 10/10 entries

Sega vs Namco 'trilogy':
Tekken 1-5 vs Virtua Fighter 1-5
Time Crisis vs House Of The Dead
Ridge Racer V vs Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast

Last edited:

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I'm not even a fan of the series and I immediately noticed a lack of Gran Turismo on your Playstation list there.

And man, Wipeout 64 of all things? That franchise thrived on the Playstation.

Last edited:

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Even if N64 had a lot of great racing games, PS1 was the PS1. It had an immense amount of games in every genre, and there were tons of racing games for like, every niche available. Everything from NASCAR to F1 to Indy to touring cars to dirt bikes, motorbikes, everything.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not even a fan of the series and I immediately noticed a lack of Gran Turismo on your Playstation list there.

yeah what the hell

PS1 for me.

CTR, Ridge Racer Type-4, Gran Turismo, Chocobo Racing, Wipeout. Incredible line up of racing games

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Easily n64
Diddy Kong Racing alone still unmatched.
Also TC forgot to add Beetle Adventure Racing. Dunno if the Snowboard kids games also count.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Even if N64 had a lot of great racing games, PS1 was the PS1. It had an immense amount of games in every genre, and there were tons of racing games for like, every niche available. Everything from NASCAR to F1 to Indy to touring cars to dirt bikes, motorbikes, everything.

Yeah, this is definitely a quality vs. quantity thing, like most Nintendo 64 arguments. Even if the N64 had a handful of standout racing titles the Playstation had just as many and a whole sea of "good to average" racing titles surrounding them.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
If we're counting Wipeout 64, we may as well include Saturn since it has twice as many Wipeout games as N64.

Not that that Saturn would win, of course. There are a LOT of exclusions from the PS1 side of things.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Keep your cutting edge realistic racing sims, give me monke want balloon racing games.

Adum

May 30, 2019
Only one of those systems had Crash Team Racing so it's a slam dunk for me

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
PS1 and it isn't even close, N64 had barely anything in terms of racing games while PS1 had it crushed even if you only count big, popular well known titles - let alone the countless lesser remembered stuff like Speed Freaks, Test Drive, Motortoon, Rollcage, the F1 games etc. The fact that Ridge Racer 64 is a headline title on the N64 side tells you everything, it's one of the weakest RR entries.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Even though the Twisted Metal, Wipeout, and Grand Turismo series were excellent, between Wave Race 64, MK64, Diddy Kong R, and 1080, during that specific period, it is very lopsided towards the N64 for me and my friends.

Fun was the name of the game, and the N64 racing games provided more than what the PS1 offered.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
yeah what the hell

PS1 for me.

CTR, Ridge Racer Type-4, Gran Turismo, Chocobo Racing, Wipeout. Incredible line up of racing games

Yeah, this is definitely a quality vs. quantity thing, like most Nintendo 64 arguments. Even if the N64 had a handful of standout racing titles the Playstation had just as many and a whole sea of "good to average" racing titles surrounding them.

Guys, there are games listed in the actual poll too.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I'd say PS1 takes it. That was generally a pretty great generation for racing games altogether, though.

N64 had some great stuff too, obviously. I spent a lot of time on Top Gear Rally 2 and San Fransisco Rush 2049, and I'm probably one of the only people on the planet (feel free to avatar quote me, lol) that prefers Mickey Speedway USA to clunky ass Mario Kart 64.

The games in the OP are in addition to what's listed on the poll.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I adore Wave Race and 1080 but couldn't do without my early days Gran Turismo and Ridge Racer. Oh and Rally Cross.. loved that game.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
PS1. Diddy Kong Racing is probably my favourite racer from that generation and Wave Race is up there as well, but there's just so much more on PS1 that's genuinely great. Especially if we're including Japanese releases like Cave's Touge Max series.

GameOver

Jan 26, 2021
N64 had F-Zero, Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, San Francisco Rush, Rush 2, Top Gear Rally, Cruising USA, Cruising World, Mickey and Speedway.

N64 for me

beezobeezo

Jul 24, 2018
Oregon
N64 was easily better for racing games and it's not even close. I can't imaging people voting for PS1 actually played racing games on both and think the better racers were on Playstation.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
ToCA3.jpg

PS1 by a long margin

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Ps1, an easy choice made easier by mk64 being one of the worst in the series.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
PS1 for sure. Gran Turismo alone makes it the winner but if you're not into sim style racing games it still has you covered:

CTR
Wipeout series
Chocobo Racing
Rollcage
Need for Speed IV
Rally Cross

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Voted for PS1 for Gran Turismo alone. Though it also had a lot of other good racing games as well.

The N64 wasn't bad, but didn't have as big of a selection of great racing games.

Jul 17, 2021
PS1 probably wins out:

Best racers on N64:

Mario Kart 64
F-Zero X
Diddy Kong Racing
World Driver Championship
Wave Race 64
Beetle Adventure Racing
San Francisco Rush 2049
Hydro Thunder
Ridge Racer 64
Rush 2: Extreme Racing USA
Penny Racers
Road Rash 64
Stunt Racer 64
Top Gear Rally 2
Mickey's Speedway USA
Star Wars Episode I: Racer
Excitebike 64
Indy Racing 2000
Destruction Derby 64
Rally Challenge 2000
Roadsters
Jeremy McGrath Supercross 2000
Extreme-G
Extreme-G 2
F-1 World Grand Prix
San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing

Best racers on PS1:

Crash Team Racing
Gran Turismo 2
R4: Ridge Racer Type 4
Need for Speed: High Stakes
Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit
Wipeout 3
Gran Turismo
Wipeout XL
Rage Racer
Colin McRae Rally 2.0
F1 Racing Championship
Jarrett & Labonte Stock Car Racing
Road Rash
Chocobo Racing
Rollcage Stage II
Moto Racer World Tour
Sled Storm
NASCAR Rumble
Colin McRae Rally
Ridge Racer Revolution
Wipeout
Road Rash: Jailbreak
Destruction Derby Raw
Driver
Moto Racer
Hydro Thunder

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I never liked Mario Kart 64 either. Played it after Diddy Kong Racing and it already felt horrible to play.
Yeah, I much prefer DKR (which Speedway USA is built off the back of) to MK64. I think MK64 has great track concepts let down by how awkward controlling the characters actually are. Super Mario Kart and even Super Circuit don't feel anywhere near as clunky.

MK64 does have probably the most godlike battle mode in the series though.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
It's the PS1 and it's not close. Colin McRae, Gran Turismo 2, TOCA, V-Rally 2, WipEout 3, Ridge Racer Type 4... And Crash Team Racing controls way better than Mario Kart 64 too. It plays more like recent Mario Kart entries than MK64 itself does!

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
N64.

I did love the Ridge Racer games, though. But Wave Race and F Zero GX were sublime.

I can see the PS1 winning for some. I hate Gran Turismo, not that's a nonfactor for me.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imaging people voting for PS1 actually played racing games on both and think the better racers were on Playstation.
I can't imagine people looking at:

Gran Turismo series
Wipeout series
Ridge Racer series
Destruction Derby series
F1 series
Motortoon
Rollcage series
Crash Team Racing
Speed Freaks
TOCA series
Colin McRae series
Jet Moto
Need for Speed series
Test Drive series
Chocobo Racing
V-Rally series
Rally Cross
Toy Story Racer

and then saying that combination of words with a straight face. Disregarding what your favourite is, it's undisputable that the PS1 had a monster library of racing games that covered every possible genre.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Wave Race 64 wins it all for me.

Here are the genres the N64 beats the PS1 on for me:

Racing
3D Platformer
Rail shooter

That's it.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS1 has more good ones in total but the N64 has a bit more in the highest tier for me. I hate to vote against Ridge Racer Type 4 but the combo of Waverace 64 and F-Zero X is tough to beat. I can see fans of sim racers preferring PS1 but I don't play those much.