• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I wonder if the pro is outselling the base, it sells out fairly regularly, mid gen refreshes best thing to happen to consoles imo.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
As long as it keeps selling, and if the fall off is slow and steady then Sony STILL wouldnt need to drop the price. I can't see sales falling off a cliff, so my prediction is this...$50/$75 cut Q4 2019.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
PS2 had an amazing tail end I think it sold like 20-30 million units after the ps3 launched. That kind of thing isn't happening anymore.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ridiculous how it keeps on selling. Surely it will slow down next year as the software does in the run up to next gen? I'm not seeing anything on the horizon that can rival Spidermsan/GOW in terms of critical mass.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
They dropped price on Pro in Japan, does nothing.
tenor.gif

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100 million is locked in for next year

Only question is how quickly they hit it and how much over they go by the end of the year

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Titan God mode
images

Only question is how quickly they hit it and how much over they go by the end if the year
Fucking hell man. Are you serious?

Profit is more important than moving units to Sony and the console sells extremely well regardless of a price cut. There's no reason right now to do a price cut.
Also this.
Only drop price at the last possible moment when sales start dwindling.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
PS2 had an amazing tail end I think it sold like 20-30 million units after the ps3 launched. That kind of thing isn't happening anymore.
I can't help thinking next gen will be starting slower out of the gate than last gen. we're all so fed up with PS360 last gen and so eager to move to PS4/XBX. this time around, we already have talks about nextgen, but I think people are still comfortable with current gen spec. you have many people saying it's too soon, or the gen just feel like it's starting to get good etc. mid gen refresh also helps.

so I'm guessing that PS4 will still continue to sell well even when PS5 is out. and if Sony can manage to sell PS4 for really low price like less than around $150 or so, I can see PS4 selling 10s of millions more after PS5 is out.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Don't want to start a console war but what is Xbox One numbers like to compare?

The Last of Us Pt. II will come awfully close.

We don't know. Probably 40-45 million.
I think your range is a bit generous, as the upper limit would put it ahead of the 360. That not possible, as even in the States the 360 is about to pass the Xbox one in sales launch aligned. I say it's alot closer 40 million. 39-40 million would be my estimate.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017

Only question is how quickly they hit it and how much over they go by the end of the year
There are some wildcard PS4 flavored releases next year. DMC5, RE2 and KHIII because it's closely tied to the PS brand, Days Gone because of surprisingly good social media numbers, and Anthem+Division could hit big and lift all boats. I still think it will be a slower 1st half next year without a price cut.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you range is a bit generous, as the upper limit would put it ahead of the 360. That not possible, as even in the States the 360 is about to pass the Xbox one in sales launch aligned. I say it's alot closer 40 million. 39-40 million would be my estimate.

yeah, it's probably closer to 40.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help thinking next gen will be starting slower out of the gate than last gen. we're all so fed up with PS360 last gen and so eager to move to PS4/XBX. this time around, we already have talks about nextgen, but I think people are still comfortable with current gen spec. you have many people saying it's too soon, or the gen just feel like it's starting to get good etc. mid gen refresh also helps.

so I'm guessing that PS4 will still continue to sell well even when PS5 is out. and if Sony can manage to sell PS4 for really low price like less than around $150 or so, I can see PS4 selling 10s of millions more after PS5 is out.

It'll depend on how much third parties want to support the PS4 after the release on the PS5. The PS2 still got a bunch of games after the next-gen launched while third party developers were eager to drop the PS3/360 once their successors launched.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
100 million is a lock for next year. Will probably pass Wii sales when all is said and done. PS2 aint happening unless they drop it to 100 bucks, which isnt happening ever