• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Chinese internet company NetEase announced it has purchased a minority stake in Quantic Dream, the French developer behind Heavy Rain and Detroit: Become Human, as part of an investment in "the development and creation of the next generation games."

NetEase did not disclose the monetary terms of its investment in Quantic Dream. The investment will "support [Quantic Dream]'s vision of becoming a global, multi-franchise entertainment company, and to develop advanced technologies and games for the future," NetEase said in a news release.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/29/18201917/quantic-dream-netease-investment-next-gen-games

For the past 12 years, Quantic Dream has been making exclusive video games like Detroit: Become Human and Heavy Rain for the PlayStation 4. But Chinese internet company NetEase Games announced today it has acquired a minority stake in Quantic Dream.

And that means that Quantic Dream will now make interactive storytelling games for a wider number of platforms. The deal is the latest between a big Chinese game publisher and a talented Western development studio. Quantic Dream will now expand its hiring and have the resources to invest in its next generation of games, said David Cage, cofounder of Quantic Dream, in an email interview with GamesBeat.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/01/29/...e-teaming-up-for-games-on-multiple-platforms/

Last edited:

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least everyone can enjoy, or suffer (the bad ones), Cage's work now. Assuming this is multiplatform?

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Them going multiplatform is good because lots of people like this sort of game.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
good for sony, they obviously weren't going to continue working with QD after we found out what a pos cage is and how horribly he runs that studio.

madgorillaz

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if they will continue to make the same type of games. And if not, I hope Supermassive picks up where they left off.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That should shoot down both the Sony and Microsoft rumors then, and make it more likely they're going third party.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Good luck to them! Detroit was incredible. Can't wait to see what's next.

I hope they don't decide to create a new engine again.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Studio is a hit or miss. I really enjoyed Heavy Rain, didn't like Beyond and loved Detroit. I am looking forward to their next game

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Probably for the best for Sony. They still get the game without the associated hassle or costs. The fact it will also be on PC and Xbox doesn't hurt anyone.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Aren't they the same company that also gave Bungie 100 million to make a game?

Oct 25, 2017
Glad Sony seemingly dropped them, though I find it weird how here it's celebrated when NetEase is investing in QD, but people fear monger them giving Bungie money to do the same.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Damn I thought Detroit sold a lot and Sony was the only one willing to give them this much time and free reign?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

For all we know they could be going "first party" to NetEase :P What I meant to say but I typed too quick to realize I'm dumb is that it's almost certain this means multiplatform games from now. Not necessarily, of course, but it's very likely. Unless they start concentrating on PC games only (for Asian markets) or mobile, which seems counterintuitive to say the least.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a huge investment and it speaks volumes about the talent and vision of Quantic Dream. I can only imagine their next few games are going to be even bigger than Detroit in terms of choices and consequences, which is a great thing IMO. Maybe they'll even dabble in making episodic releases. Congrats to Quantic Dream!

Edit: okay, I'm not sure if it's a huge investment, but it certainly must be a lot of money to allow the team to expand and try and tackle multiple titles and platforms for the future, unlike their previous few games which were focused on a single platform.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Cool. Sony can finally cut them loose and spend their David Cage money on games that don't support that psycho.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds good, more people can enjoy them now. Seems Chinese investment in gaming is a big thing. From what I've heard, it's also why Bungie was able to break away from Acti to do their own thing.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Truly the pinnacles of storytelling over at QD now can reach millions of new people with their bullshit-ass writing and deaf tone:

Detroit-Become-Human-Martin-Luther-King-Jr.-speech.png

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Considering this's NetEase and Cage already expressed interest im MP, I've a feeling Detroit was the last SP interactive adventure game QD is gonna make.

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it was because Sony didn't want to renew their contract because of the work condition scandal or because QD really wanted to go multiplatform.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Am I the only one with the feeling that little by little Sony has lost enough studies this generation?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For all we know they could be going "first party" to NetEase :P What I meant to say but I typed too quick to realize I'm dumb is that it's almost certain this means multiplatform games from now. Not necessarily, of course, but it's very likely. Unless they start concentrating on PC games only (for Asian markets) or mobile, which seems counterintuitive to say the least.
while pc is very likely, i expect they'd still be putting games on consoles. a chinese company has invested in them to make money, it's not necessarily about making money in china.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
With how big they've become it definitely makes sense to go multi platform. Can sell a ton more copies now

gschmidl

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory drive-by commentary, inflammatory generalizations, account in junior phase
Quantic Dreams needs to die, not get more money to make their garbage trash. Goddammit China.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it was because Sony didn't want to renew their contract because of the work condition scandal or because QD really wanted to go multiplatform.
Sony and Quantic Dream always had a per-game deal, so this talk of renewal is nonsense. It also makes a lot of sense for QD to look for a partner like NetEase to greatly expand their scope of development.
Considering this's NetEase and Cage already expressed interest im MP, I've a feeling Detroit was the last SP interactive adventure game QD is gonna make.
I seriously doubt they will ever stop releasing interactive adventure games, but I wouldn't be surprised if they ever attempt to make a multiplayer one. But there'll certainly be more single player titles in the future.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
These kind of games need first-party hype and marketing. I think Suppermassive's next game will sell a lot less on 3 platforms than Until Dawn on PS4 only. I hope that won't happed with QD.