• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like someone like Sebastian Stan would be a great fit. Someone who looks capable, everyday look, strong on charisma and not Hollywood pretty.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Scott Ryan

Dtd9LXgVsAAUKe8

McClane's new catchphrase is "Yippee ki-yay, cunt!"

Oct 25, 2017
I'd go half in the past, half new. Old John McClane is refilling some oxygen tanks for his best friend who is dying of lung cancer. A ride around town from the warehouse depot and supplier, to strip mall clinic to medical center highrise. He has to team up with a young nurse who hero protags the shit out of things when a hospital wing is shut down by some y'all qaeda terrorists/cops who take some doctors and staff hostage over a national viral outbreak and some found service cam footage that would set the city on fire. Tone would be sarcastic as a heart attack. Death lurks just around the corner, die hard indeed. An Alex Jones type tiktoks the whole ordeal from the lobby and gets people killed without missing a beat, the big villain is revealed to be a desk cop who kidnaps and tries to disappear his daughter's boyfriend, an EMT, because racist paranoia and peer pressure and everything goes to shit because of common decency and misunderstanding and systems pushed past their limits.

Last edited:

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Just cast Harrison Ford at however old he is now and try to pretend he's not old.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Random name, but Ralph Fiennes could pull it off I think. Dude can do comedy, drama, and action (he was the love interest in Maid in Manhattan and Vodemort in the Harry Potter movies). Never really had a big breakout role as a protagonist, so it's sort of a "out of left field" casting.

man, i don't think i've seen an actor with a career like fiennes has been undersold like that before.

"love interest in maid in manhattan," lol

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
David Harbour would rock it as well

maybe we'll get a McClane riff from him in Stranger Things 4 tho

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Patrick Stewart 😅 Gotta have a Shakespearean stage actor 😛
Patrick Steward is 6 years older than Rickman. Holy shit, we lost Rickman way too soon :(

I think you get like a Tom Hiddleston type for Gruber, someone who's a stage actor for sure

For McClane it could be pretty much any actor that's not a superhero. Although, Paul Rudd would work but he's a bit too old to play 30s. But someone with his background - romantic comedies and comedies

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Patrick Steward is 6 years older than Rickman. Holy shit, we lost Rickman way too soon :(

I think you get like a Tom Hiddleston type for Gruber, someone who's a stage actor for sure

For McClane it could be pretty much any actor that's not a superhero. Although, Paul Rudd would work but he's a bit too old to play 30s. But someone with his background - romantic comedies and comedies

Tom Hiddleston would be perfect as Gruber!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
No one suggested ITT has the cocky charismatic swagger that Willis had in 1. Not seen a single good fit yet.... can't think of one either.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
No one suggested ITT has the cocky charismatic swagger that Willis had in 1. Not seen a single good fit yet.... can't think of one either.
Someone suggested Steven Yuen and I think he could do it. His character in Sorry To Bother You fits that description and he kills it in that movie.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Someone suggested Steven Yuen and I think he could do it. His character in Sorry To Bother You fits that description and he kills it in that movie.
Doesn't fit for me, it's a completely different vibe imo.

Of course, they could just go with something else... but 9/10 when they do that it ends up being pretty bad.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017

Considering Samberg and his character's love for the movie, just forget doing a shot-for-shot remake, and make it Diest Hardest with the Brooklyn 99 cast.

Stephanie Beatriz as McClane
Melissa Fumero as Holly
Andre Braugher as Hans Gruber
Joe Lo Truglio as Al
Samberg as Ellis
Joel Mc Kinnon & Dirk Blocker as the FBI Agents

It writes itself.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Bob Odenkirk. He has that "everyman" look, isn't really in shape, and has that comedic/dramatic range. He's not in his 30's though.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
It's hard to imagine a Die Hard made today would resemble Die Hard. It'd be that sort of self aware jokey reboot, something too macho, or too clean. So much of it was of its era. Also, Holly would end up being a nurse or md. For some reason the wife character is almost always a nurse these days. And Hans Gruber would be an eco terrorist.

That said, Sterling K Brown.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
the problem is that Die Hard is not a fantastic movie because of Bruce Willis but because of Hans Gruber, Alan Rickman playing against Bruce Willis and I think that was lightning in a bottle you'll not recapture again similar to most Arnold Schwarzenegger roles or Godfather or "pick any iconic duo like Mulder/Scully".

So any Die Hard movie, just like all the sequels, isn't going to reach the heights of the first one and therefore will not do well and be considered a flop and hurt the career of whoever stars in it.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
John Mclane is like Han Solo. You can't really recast. BW's rise from Moonlighting to Die Hard is really one of a kind.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I think you need to go down a similar casting route as the original.

Someone like Jake Johnson would be a good fit but I don't think he has the acting chops.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Some of these dudes being suggested are straight-up too Hollywood pretty for John McClane. Willis was definitely a handsome guy, but still managed to look and feel like an average Joe that you could bump into in some crappy bar.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Rob McElhenney because he would have gotten there a day before and would have performed a ocular pat down and would have not let the terrorists through.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Bruce Willis was 33 when he made Die Hard.

Other 33 year olds:
Zac Efron
Michael Cera
Haley Joel Osment

Oct 29, 2017
Might not be possible unless there's some unknown I'm not thinking of who can infuse the role with the same wrong-place-wrong-guy charisma that Willis did. His portrayal of McClane was the primary draw of the series for me and I'm sure many, many others. Someone said Jake Johnson before, I kinda liked that idea. He could infuse enough humor into the role without making it a comedy. It would be a stretch to see him as an action lead, though.