• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Rockstar Games® is proud to announce that the critically acclaimed Red Dead Redemption 2 has achieved the single-biggest opening weekend in the history of entertainment*. With over $725 million in worldwide retail sell-through during its first three days, Red Dead Redemption 2 is the second-highest grossing entertainment launch of all time next to Rockstar Games' previously released title, Grand Theft Auto V, which achieved over $1 billion in retail sell-through in three days.*

Red Dead Redemption 2's list of initial benchmarks include:

• Biggest opening weekend in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases;
  • Second biggest launch (three days) in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases;
  • Biggest entertainment launch of 2018;
  • Most pre-ordered full game ever on PlayStation Network;
  • Biggest day one full game sales ever on PlayStation Network;
  • Biggest first three days full game sales ever on PlayStation Network.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181030005459/en/

*Red Dead Redemption 2 launched on a Friday so that its 'opening weekend' (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) is the same as its first three days, while Grand Theft Auto V launched on a Tuesday.

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
But the PAL chart. :P
Congrats R*. Again for a great game. The wait is always long but always delivers.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I hope everyone who did a ton of overtime for this sees some kind of bonus

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
It is the grandest video game ever made. Congratulations R*, well earnt.

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Assuming an ASP of $60. We can assume worldwide retail sell through in the region of 12m units.

But that's an estimate based on a $60 ASP. With special editions the ASP is probably higher.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The game constantly surprises me with how incredibly detailed it is so this is very well deserved.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
I literally don't know how to feel. I hope the employees get their fair share, even though I don't blindly trust they will.
I also think it's great that a SP game with no gambling mechanics is so successful but then again, GTA is one of the worst in that regard.
So It's bittersweet.

Dec 2, 2017
But the UK sales thread told me it was all doom and gloom....

That's massive. Has to be more than 10 million copies? I hope the devs get their well-earned bonuses (minus upper management).

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How did GTA V do when they rereleased it this gen?

Also, can't wait to see them do this again three times next gen when they rererelease GTA V, rerelease this, and release GTA VI or whatever their next game is.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Utter, utter masterpiece of gaming. R* have smashed it for me. Loving this on the One X.

These guys always deliver.

Noobie

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Assuming an ASP of $60. We can assume worldwide retail sell through in the region of 12m units.

But that's an estimate based on a $60 ASP. With special editions the ASP is probably higher.
But they have collector and limited edition too? So 12 million is the absolute sealing?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Can we PLEASE stop listening to the UK sales? It's been proven, again and again and again, that they're no longer representative of the worldwide sales of the game.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
So another case of people acting too soon on the UK numbers

oh the uk retail sales thread once again got destroyed. Congrats to Rockstar.

But the UK sales thread told me it was all doom and gloom....

That's massive. Has to be more than 10 million copies? I hope the devs get their well-earned bonuses (minus upper management).

Doom for Red Dead 2? Why in the world would it do nothing short of shatter records?