El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Narrative they are pushing is the endless shrimp.

Real story from the bankruptcy papers is that these organizations and private equity bought it out, saddled it with debt and sucked out the value and bankrupted it.

So... the typical private equity playbook!

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
4CD18B14-66A2-4969-A9CD-6F2CDC683703.jpg

Last edited:

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Narrative they are pushing is the endless shrimp.

Real story from the bankruptcy papers is that these organizations and private equity bought it out, saddled it with debt and sucked out the value and bankrupted it.

So... the typical private equity playbook!

This is exactly what it is.

Of course, it's much more complicated than that. Red Lobster has had a really rough last 10 years, maybe even worse than the rest of us; since 2021, the chain has had five different CEOs. In 2014, its parent company Darden sold Red Lobster to a private equity firm called Golden Gate Capital for $2.1 billion. That sale helped Darden pay off $100 billion in debt and fueled significant growth for its other restaurants, like Olive Garden, in the ensuing years. Even when COVID hit in 2020, the company still managed to maintain positive cash flow as other restaurants floundered. Red Lobster, though, continued to struggle.

But again, it wasn't because of the shrimp. Following the sale of Red Lobster to Golden Gate, the chain's real estate assets were also sold off, which meant that the restaurants now had to pay rent on these locations to their parent company. As such, the company was stuck in leases for underperforming restaurants that it couldn't afford. As with other private equity forays into industries like retail and media, Red Lobster's new private equity owner saddled it with tons of debt.

www.eater.com

Red Lobster’s Demise Was Never About the Endless Shrimp

Blame private equity and a decade of mismanagement instead

Private equity bankrupts places like this as standard business practice. This was inevitable.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
At Pep Boys getting my car inspected and legit just ran out in a panic to ensure the Red Lobster across the street was still open. It is, I'm happy to report.

Feb 9, 2018
So are they done for? Like, they just wont' exist in the not-too distant future? If so, that's a sad day. They were always my favorite sit-down chain restaurant. I love their shrimp scampi and their biscuits. But eating out has gotten so pricey lately at these sit-down restaurants. $30+ for one person is a big ask. I'd go more often if it was cheaper.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
20999799_angle_a01_@2.png

Just take a couple of boxes of the mix and make one giant biscuit as a substitute for a birthday cake.

Long live the lobster!

Honestly, their cheddar biscuits used to be so good at the restaurants. But now? They're trash. Better to get the box and I can add the extra spices and all the butter I want. I got that shit down to a science. I'm gonna grab a box this week.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I only really like fried seafood and we have tons of clam shacks around here that are way better, so there's no need for a Red Lobster in my area anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
There's one within easy driving distance of me, but I haven't been there in several years. Way too expensive and too much sodium.
If I'm going to indulge in ordering seafood I'd rather go to Ivar's (PNW chain).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna miss red lobster, a lot of good memories. Need to go before the ones near me shut down. Get some fresh cheddar bay biscuits.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm thinking I need to buy some boxes of the biscuit mix before it gets discontinued.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
It was over when people don't understand all you can eat crab legs/shrimp will bankrupt you unless you charge exorbitant amount per person with a set time limit.

Folks will park it all day eating crab legs and shrimp.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they don't die because I don't like people losing their jobs, but if you don't have a better place that makes fish in your town, you need to move.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I loved lobster fest for years but when I saw $31 become $51 I said fuck that shit…..never went again.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
The Red Lobster in my city is dead pretty much all the time. Their location doesn't do them any favors as it's a pain in the ass to get to.

I'd be shocked if this one stays open much longer, it'll follow the Ruby Tuesday's that shut down years ago.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
By the sound of things, it looked like whoever had that private equity had a grudge against Red Lobster and wanted to squeeze every penny he could before slitting its throat.

Galactic

Oct 29, 2017
Florida, USA
This sucks. :( My family loved going to Red Lobster when I was growing up; whenever we went for either special events or just a nice dinner out, it felt so fancy. The last time I went, I think the fried shrimp I had was a little salty, but I didn't mind.

I am gonna miss those biscuits, though. Gonna try and pick up a box next grocery trip.