• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Capcom fix these issues at some point?

• Yes, both of these issues will be fixed

Votes: 227 28.3%
  • Only PS5 image quality will be fixed

Votes: 216 26.9%
  • Only Xbox controller deadzone behaviour will be fixed

Votes: 56 7.0%
  • Nope, Capcom doesn‘t care as long as it sells enough

Votes: 304 37.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
th1nk

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Very bad optimization in current-gen consoles.
Yes, I am grateful to Oliver that he pointed out all these issues and weird design choices. Capcom has some work to do on their engine and QA. The game is great, but held back by these numerous flaws.

However, chances are that this game sells like hotcakes (which it deserves based on the actual content) and we will see the same shit again in their next game.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I am starting it now with the Sensitivity curve set to instant on my Elite Series 2 pad playing on the Series X. We'll see how it goes.

I tried the PS4 Pro demo this morning and it seemed to control fine, and looked OK.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Really weird experience just now on PS5. Chapter 6's IQ was way better than the previous chapters, then I got to 7 and it went back to how it was before.

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
I basically fixed the deadzones issue on Xbox with these Camera Acceleration adjustments, at least for me:

Camera Acceleration
  • Normal Gameplay
  • When Aiming
1.png

It plays really good now on my Elite Controller v2 :)
That really helped, thanks! It is far from good but gets somehow manageable. Vertical movement while aiming remains pretty awful.
May I ask what your Maximum Camera Speed adjustments are?

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
That really helped, thanks! It is far from good but gets somehow manageable. Vertical movement while aiming remains pretty awful.
May I ask what your Maximum Camera Speed adjustments are?
I only adjusted those two compared to game controller defaults on Xbox + I'm using an Elite v2 (also all defaults except the paddles mapping and both sticks tighten up to medium force)

It's pretty good for me, so I'm glad it is also helping others as well

CKDexterHaven

Nov 26, 2017
Ok 'bout to take the plunge .PS5 or XBOX X ? I have an elite controller if that helps enough with the control issues on the X.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Still no official statements if they gonna fix those? There are other problems like DF mentioned.
I was pretty critical about the image quality in the PS5 version, but I completely deactivated lens distortion and it looks pretty good, also the image quality gets better a few hours in, the demo part / chapter is the worst looking.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly so far I'm finding the ps5 version to look great on my OLED. I don't have another version to check though.

I'm more miffed that the gyro aiming doesn't support Y-axis on analog. Just useless unless updated.

R-stick makes fine-tuning difficult without the help of gyro given I can't land in a comfortable slider setting. Still enjoying the game, but this one deserved getting it right.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
After trying the demo on XSX and PS5, I'll go for the PS5 version. It looks great to me, and it's much easier to control.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone using the DuelSense Edge? What's your preferred right stick setting? I think I settled w/ steady playing the demo.

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
I was pretty critical about the image quality in the PS5 version, but I completely deactivated lens distortion and it looks pretty good, also the image quality gets better a few hours in, the demo part / chapter is the worst looking.

That's good to hear. If it improves later on then I'm willing to give it a chance and purchase.

OP
OP
th1nk

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
After playing the PS4 version on PS5, I am now even more sad that the PS5 version suffers from constant micro-stuttering (even on lowest settings). The PS4 version plays much, much better and is very smooth im comparison. Too bad it looks like shit with the low res textures and lots of pop-in. ☹️

Come on Capcom, do some more optimization on the PS5 version please!

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Still no news on any update, I'm guessing? They still haven't even acknowledged the issues (aside from the PS5 flickering issue).

This is ridiculous.

OP
OP
th1nk

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Still no news on any update, I'm guessing? They still haven't even acknowledged the issues (aside from the PS5 flickering issue).

This is ridiculous.
That's Capcom for ya. Played the PS5 version a bit further and the constant hitching and stuttering really is distracting as hell, the image quality is a non-issue compared to that.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
After playing the PS4 version on PS5, I am now even more sad that the PS5 version suffers from constant micro-stuttering (even on lowest settings). The PS4 version plays much, much better and is very smooth im comparison. Too bad it looks like shit with the low res textures and lots of pop-in. ☹️

Come on Capcom, do some more optimization on the PS5 version please!

I am playing the PS4 version on PS5 (for the dualshock 4) and it also tanks the frame rate of distant enemies at times.

OP
OP
th1nk

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I am playing the PS4 version on PS5 (for the dualshock 4) and it also tanks the frame rate of distant enemies at times.
That is a design decision on PS4, where the animation rate of enemies is halved to save CPU time. The frame rate itself is near locked 60, so aiming, traversal etc. feels smooth as butter.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly so far I'm finding the ps5 version to look great on my OLED. I don't have another version to check though.

I'm more miffed that the gyro aiming doesn't support Y-axis on analog. Just useless unless updated.

R-stick makes fine-tuning difficult without the help of gyro given I can't land in a comfortable slider setting. Still enjoying the game, but this one deserved getting it right.
I'd say the huge deadzone on the gyro is a bigger issue tbh. The whole point of gyro is to make small adjustments that sticks can't but the gyro doesn't register until you move the controller a lot. It makes it feel so sluggish. It's like they tried to emulate analog stick movement on the gyroscope, deadzone and all, instead of just giving us 1 to 1 movement. Trying to gyro aim rifles with scopes is a nightmare.

You can see the difference here.

View: https://twitter.com/FlickStickVids/status/1634993243015499776?s=20

It's sad this will most likely never get fixed and we're stuck with mediocre dual analog controls instead.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017

This is ridiculous.

Release was on friday, they don't work overtime during the weekend, so any formal communication should probably be in the upcoming weeks if there'll be any regarding the issues.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say the huge deadzone on the gyro is a bigger issue tbh. The whole point of gyro is to make small adjustments that sticks can't but the gyro doesn't register until you move the controller a lot. It makes it feel so sluggish. It's like they tried to emulate analog stick movement on the gyroscope, deadzone and all, instead of just giving us 1 to 1 movement. Trying to gyro aim rifles with scopes is a nightmare.

You can see the difference here.

View: https://twitter.com/FlickStickVids/status/1634993243015499776?s=20

It's sad this will most likely never get fixed and we're stuck with mediocre dual analog controls instead.

Ah didn't spend enough time with gyro to even notice that.

Ugh…Capcom ffs! Monster Hunter has great use of gyro in the same engine even!

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
That is a design decision on PS4, where the animation rate of enemies is halved to save CPU time. The frame rate itself is near locked 60, so aiming, traversal etc. feels smooth as butter.

I know why they do it but personally I would prefer 30fps without the occasional slide show enemies which completely take me out of the game every time. the option would have been nice. then again the PS4 version was not made for weirdos like me who play it on PS5 just for the dual shock 4.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Played the first chapter on PS5 today and the foliage looks less shimmery than in the demo? Am I crazy?

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
I saw that DF said there were HDR issues on PS5 but that they were fixed already? Can they like fix them again? I honestly couldn't stand how washed and blown out the lighting in HDR is so I had to turn it off. Not to mention very noticeable flickering in many areas.

Edit: my bad, they were talking about RT. But my problem is still with HDR.

OP
OP
th1nk

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Added a list of issues to the OP, please let me know if you have some more.

Issues in the final version 1.02:
  • PS5: Stuttering and hitching (frame time spikes) during traversal and combat, even in frame rate mode without RT and with VRR, leading to gameplay that does not feel smooth
  • PS5: Image quality lower than XBox Series X
  • XBox: Deadzone controller issues
  • PS4: Very low res textures and a lot of texture pop-in
  • PS5: No option to adjust black level in HDR, leading to washed-out look on some TVs
  • PS5: Inaccurate Gyro controls with deadzone too large

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing on SX and the first cutscene in cop car is out ofg sync, issues immediately out of the gate lol. This didn't happen in the demo, for me anyway

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Almost finished the game, still looking for those IQ issues on PS5. I'll report wenever I see them.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
The deadzone issue is driving me mad. I just booted up RE2 on Series X and it's much much better.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

• PS5: Stuttering and hitching (frame time spikes) during traversal and combat, even in frame rate mode without RT and with VRR, leading to gameplay that does not feel smooth
  • PS5: No option to adjust black level in HDR, leading to washed-out look on some TVs

I don't think that they will ever fix the gyro controls. RE8 gyro controls were so clumsy since the demo and I don't recall they ever fixed them after, unless I missed it.

Jacob4815

Oct 29, 2017

Black levels in my Sony oled are really washed out. And they are perfect for every game.
I had to adjust black levels in the TV settings , and disable tone mapping.

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing on Xbox and the deadzones seem kind of minimal to me or I just got used to them. Have around 80% accuracy and have S ranked the first 3 shooting gallery levels. Hopefully the dead zone gets patched along with all the PS issues someday.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I only adjusted those two compared to game controller defaults on Xbox + I'm using an Elite v2 (also all defaults except the paddles mapping and both sticks tighten up to medium force)

It's pretty good for me, so I'm glad it is also helping others as well
I did end up trying these settings in the demo and they feel better than anything I managed to find. Still not good but it's playable enough to convince me to pick it up. The retail release seems to have slightly different values than the demo though. The camera speed felt a tad slower so I bumped that up a bit. On a positive note, the framerate seems a bit more solid in performance mode on the Series S in the final release. The little forest area with the truck was noticeably dipping in the demo but it seems smoothed out now.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
While the deadzone on the Xbox version could be better, if you fiddle around with the camera settings (and settings for the Elite controller if you have one) it's perfectly playable. You get used to it pretty quickly if you just get on with playing the game instead of obsessing over it I S-ranked all the shooting galleries without too much trouble. All skulls is another matter but there's no challenge tied to that :P

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Almost finished the game, still looking for those IQ issues on PS5. I'll report wenever I see them.
FYI just because you dont think/see something is an issue that doesnt make it a non issue. I dont see any issue with the Xbox controls, or input latency in general for retro collections, doesnt mean those issues dont exist.

Plus, tech channels already confirmed the existence of the issues, so your "input" isnt needed.