• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sloth

Nov 27, 2017
Switch 2 confirmed.

At this point, they should just get Team Cherry to make it once they've finished Silksong.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't change a thing. It was still Nintendo's decision to try to farm it out the first time, which cost it two years of development and probably millions of dollars in costs.
I mean, we have people here saying that it's turning out to be vaporware when we have an announcement from last year saying that they are restarting everything from scratch. Just trying to give people some real perspective here.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Doesn't change a thing. It was still Nintendo's decision to try to farm it out the first time, which cost it two years of development and probably millions of dollars in costs.
At the time Nintendo deciding to "farm out" MP4 was most likely because Retro was already busy working on a game which is either cancelled or soon to be finished.

Deciding to work with a close partner like Bandai Namco (who you know are making one of their biggest IP) made plenty of sense at the time granted it ended up backfiring.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Misinformed hot-takes aside, I'd rather have them not crunch to an absurd degree like they did with Prime 1 (and 2 I think?).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
vJfZoqe_d.webp

this ain't in response to Retro....

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing about this "news" is deserving of this response.

I knew this thread would be filled with people jumping to conclusions and not taking a moment to check to see if this is normal for game development. But good lord.

Imagine being this offended by a Picard gif. Corporate fanboyism sure makes people finnicky.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really think Retro at this point deserves the benefit of the doubt in terms of these things not indicating development issues.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The whole development story of Metroid Prime 4 so far doesn't exactly fill me with confidence for its ultimate quality. Seems like a project being pushed into different peoples hands.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
To someone wth experience on gamedev: how effed up is the development of MP4 based on this?

Zero

Companies hire talent in all seniority levels all the way up to shipping the game. This means nothing.

Plus, 2017 wasnt that long ago in AAA terms considering they probably started from scratch.

I know y'all want to find something that validates your opinion about how this game is progressing, but this ain't it

ChunkyChowder

Oct 25, 2017
Development restarted in late 2018 so it's been in development for about a year and a half under Retro. Seems like a normal job listing.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
You can tell how many people don't know what a Lead Producer is by reading this thread and the replies on Twitter and Reddit.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
It's just as likely that things are going fine and their lead producer just got poached mid-production.

Also, some times these postings are a legal formality when they already plan to fill the vacancy with an in-house promotion.

Or the scope of the project is growing large enough to need multiple leads.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
People are convincing themselves so strongly that it's going to be on Switch 2 that when it's in the last year of Switch we're going to get an outcry for the graphics.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The speculation in this topic is a dumb as thinking a company is failing because they are adding new mid tier positions

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Having some serious flashbacks to the "Square-Enix is hiring a lead scenario planner for Final Fantasy VII Remake" from late 2018 where everyone said that this meant the game was coming in 2022 at the earliest. Those takes aged like fine milk.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
I still hold out the smallest hope that they have another 'new' game coming out before Metroid Prime 4 (although I've long given up expecting it).

Otherwise, the gap between games (Tropical Freeze and Metroid Prime 4) will likely be close to 9 years.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I still hold out the smallest hope that they have another 'new' game coming out before Metroid Prime 4 (although I've long given up expecting it).

Otherwise, the gap between games (Tropical Freeze and Metroid Prime 4) will likely be close to 9 years.

I'm also still hoping for whatever game that was...but at this point it feels like if it was still coming, they'd have announced it by now.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This holiday for a new Retro game is probably the last chance I give it

Theworld

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 6, 2020
Yeah, this "Retro Studios" company sounds so incompetent. I mean, have they ever shipped a game before? Why should I trust this weird unproven company? Do they even have experience in this industry?

Instead, I will trust these wise Era users who know that this game is vaporware and will never come out. Also, this "Retro Studios" is obviously responsible for what happened with the game before they had anything to do with it, so fuck them, of course.

It makes me wonder why Nintendo didn't go directly with Retro Studios instead of trying their luck with Bandai.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017

I just keep hoping that damn StarFox racing is real... I know in my head it's not, but in my heart I still believeeeee!

Theworld

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 6, 2020
Because they were working on their own game? Did you really need to ask that question?

Studios can expand and ship two games, it's not like it would be the first time in the history of video game. Retro Studios is in a game for a very long time. In fact, expanding is exactly what they are doing as we speak. And that's IF the game they were working on is of an important scale and not another 6 hours 2D platformer.

So yes, the question is very much needed. Or maybe your out-of-place and rude tone indicate that you think Nintendo makes sound decsions all the time (lol) ?