• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
This was discovered by the website/channel Rockstar Mag

Information from UK's company filings website.
https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/13472823/officers
entreprise-jeux-video-dan-houser-scaled.jpg

Screenshot_2021-07-02_at_00.28.15.png

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Gotta be honest, doesn't make much sense to leave the biggest studio at one of the highest roles to make another studio.

I feel like this may be something else in the gaming space, like consultation maybe?

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta be honest, doesn't make much sense to leave the biggest studio at one of the highest roles to make another studio.

Rockstar has generally lost the freedom it once had, and is making games that thousands of people touch. Even as a studio head, I'm sure things internally move glacially slow and the decisions in terms of what to make are quite conservative. They're not making new IPs, and games like RDR and GTA take forever to make. I still love their modern games but there's definitely a reason to go out and try something different while he has time.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

I feel like this may be something else in the gaming space, like consultation maybe?

Could be he just didn't like Take-Two trying to pressure them to make games faster. Could be a bunch of different reasons, but I hope he is still developing games.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Rockstar has generally lost the freedom it once had, and is making games that thousands of people touch. Even as a studio head, I'm sure things internally move glacially slow and the decisions in terms of what to make are quite conservative. They're not making new IPs, and games like RDR and GTA take forever to make. I still love their modern games but there's definitely a reason to go out and try something different while he has time.
That's fair, probably more creatively fulfilling

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

I imagine it's stressful as fuck being under that much pressure and he was for like 20 years straight on all Rockstar games after they became a mega studio. Going and setting up a small studio seems pretty common now.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017

The thing is though, he could potentially begin to pouch key people from R*
Not that it matters much since anything GTA is going to do billion no matter who makes it but still, it would not surprise me if some R* devs aren't interested in just working on GTA for the next decade (and maybe RDR).

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Unless they have deep pocket and patient backers, I don't see his style working for a indie studio

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine publishers would be bum-rushing his front door with a blank check to be partnered with someone like Dan Houser
Sure, but I don't think they will have the patient of rockstar. going by his history if they funded a game today, it might be out for the PS5 and X series refresh, MAYBE. Nobody got time for that

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Sure, but I don't think they will have the patient of rockstar. going by his history if they funded a game today, it might be out for the PS5 and X series refresh, MAYBE. Nobody got time for that

Oh I think they know the dev cycle on that would be crazy, but the potential of that GTA money might drive them to give him anything he needs. Funding, access to more studios anything it'd take.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There are tons of reasons why he might want to. Work on smaller games, have more creative freedom, etc.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It makes perfect sense. Dan likely left Rockstar due to the tedium of 10 year Dev cycles and lack of creative freedom.

After a break, I guess he's trying to get back to doing more of what he loves.

Happiness is more important than a job title.

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
Kojima, Jade Redmond, those guys from Treyarch and those guys from Bungie have all done that recently. I won't mention the other thing those four have in common because that could spark a baseless rumour...

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Really thought he would've just rode off into the sunset. Curious what kind of game they'll make and whether or not it'll be a big budget or smaller game.

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Sorry to go off topic, but it always bugs me how the nationality is "American British" even though he's born in England, surely he's just English? Same with Druckmann being called an "American Israeli" despite being born in Israel.. just a bug bear of mine, since being Irish means the British always try to claim our famous people.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Makes A LOT of sense when hella players in the market are paying hand over fist for new content and IP.

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
Sorry to go off topic, but it always bugs me how the nationality is "American British" even though he's born in England, surely he's just English? Same with Druckmann being called an "American Israeli" despite being born in Israel.. just a bug bear of mine, since being Irish means the British always try to claim our famous people.
It's "American, British" as a list not "American-British" as a nationality. Houser has dual nationality and it's an obligation to correctly declare the nationality and residence status of anyone with a controlling stake in a UK company.

And to be fair: while we do get your artists the boot is on the other foot when it comes to second rate footballers.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
This is pretty exciting if it means new, smaller games with Rockstar's brand of humor/sensibilities. So tired of all their games being so massive and taking so many years to create at this point. Smaller, more varied titles plz.

pjl93

Jun 2, 2020
NJ
any other evidence of this I can't find anything and it seems like it would be a bigger deal

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
It's "American, British" as a list not "American-British" as a nationality. Houser has dual nationality and it's an obligation to correctly declare the nationality and residence status of anyone with a controlling stake in a UK company.

And to be fair: while we do get your artists the boot is on the other foot when it comes to second rate footballers.

I'm not just talking about Houser, and I'm not just talking about owning a UK company, I'm talking a media wide thing. Druckmann seems to be listed places as American-Israeli as well, there's a fair few cases.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Unless they have deep pocket and patient backers, I don't see his style working for a indie studio
They probably will.
Leslie Benzie's studio has hundreds of people employed across multiple cities, funded mostly (entirely?) by multiple successful investment rounds.

They've also been making their first game for 5 years now, and haven't shown even a screenshot of it afaik.

There's definitely investment money around for that kind of thing.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not just talking about Houser, and I'm not just talking about owning a UK company, I'm talking a media wide thing. Druckmann seems to be listed places as American-Israeli as well, there's a fair few cases.

That's utterly different to the house records in this case. It's a general American thing for prefixing American to their country of origin for immigrants + their descendents...

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
For those of you new to this: this game won't see the light of the day for the next decade.

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
For those saying this doesn't make much sense this is exactly what Phil Spencer was saying in an interview the other day. "It's such a risk-filled journey for them to get to the point to create real value. I'm always going to congratulate when teams get to the point where they realize that value through acquisition or just massive independent success… many of those leaders will go off and start other things over time. It's kind of the natural turnover that happens with entrepreneurs and startup businesses. And for us, we're always out there looking at where we could continue to build our first-party capability and looking at teams that we think would be good fits for us." It seems like it's pretty common. Or maybe like others have said it's just gaming related and not making games.

www.ign.com

Telling Studios They Shouldn't Sell Is 'Short-Sighted," Phil Spencer Says After Xbox's Acquisition Spree - IGN

Xbox boss Phil Spencer says selling and buying game studios is a healthy part of the industry and a reason why there's innovation in businesses.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The thing is though, he could potentially begin to pouch key people from R*
Not that it matters much since anything GTA is going to do billion no matter who makes it but still, it would not surprise me if some R* devs aren't interested in just working on GTA for the next decade (and maybe RDR).
Get over the people who made Table Tennis please. I could do with another innovative sports game that isn't part of a franchise.