• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

Roku Warns YouTube TV Customers That Service Could Go Dark Due To Google’s “Monopoly” Moves; “Disappointed” YouTube Says It Is Bargaining In Good Faith – Update

Roku is warning YouTube TV subscribers through its platform that the service could soon go dark due to Google's "predatory" behavior.

Roku is warning its customers with YouTube TV subscriptions that the service could go dark in the coming days due to what it calls Google's "predatory" and "monopoly" behavior.

In a lengthy statement, a Roku spokesperson blasted Google's actions in detail. The tech giant is "attempting to use its YouTube monopoly position to force Roku into accepting predatory, anti-competitive and discriminatory terms that will directly harm Roku and our users." The company has also sent an email to customers this morning expressing the concerns.

Roku is arguing that YouTube and Google are out to manipulate the user experience to siphon data and tilt search results in YouTube's favor, among other complaints. It also maintains that Google could require Roku to spend money upgrading microchips or other equipment in order to accommodate YouTube TV.

The current agreement between the companies will expire in the next few days. While the Roku statement did not specify a date, this week will see April end and May begin, a turning of the calendar that matches with most distribution contract deadlines.

YouTube TV, a streaming bundle of linear channels which launched in 2017, arrived on Roku in 2018. The main YouTube app dates back years earlier on Roku, and the current agreement for it is understood to not be on the verge of expiration. Executives at Google corporate parent Alphabet said last year that YouTube TV had passed 3 million subscribers. Along with Hulu + Live TV and Sling TV, it is one of the leading packagers of TV via streaming.

Across Roku's footprint, the YouTube TV subscriber population is fairly small, but the platform is prime real estate for any streaming purveyor. The company has had bare-knuckled negotiations with WarnerMedia for HBO Max, NBCUniversal for Peacock and with Fox Corp., with the battles increasingly spilling into public view. Along with Amazon Fire TV, Roku has become a primary gatekeeper for streaming in the U.S., with 51 million active accounts as of the end of 2020.

Google as a company has been the subject of growing antitrust scrutiny in the U.S. and Europe, a fact that Roku seized upon in its statement. Last fall, the U.S. Department of Justice and 11 state attorneys general filed a civil antitrust lawsuit. The complaint said it aims to stop Google from "unlawfully maintaining monopolies through anticompetitive and exclusionary practices in the search and search advertising markets."

Given the legal action against Google, "it should come as no surprise that Google is now demanding unfair and anti-competitive terms that harm Roku's users," the statement said.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait hold on the youtube app is how i mainly watch youtube on my roku tv! Dont take it away from me!

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Wait hold on the youtube app is how i mainly watch youtube on my roku tv! Dont take it away from me!
I think they mean Youtube TV, the TV channel subscription. It seems it's potentially getting melded into the Android TV look, so I wonder if Roku is worried they will lose access and control over the recomendation engine and whatnot that they use. Essentially once inside Youtube TV, you may never have to leave it to buy/rent movies or jump into your Netflix shows and so on. Those things would be centralized through Google, instead of different apps in the Roku platform, for which Roku gets paid individually, and gets data from individually.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think they mean Youtube TV, the TV channel subscription. It seems it's potentially getting melded into the Android TV look, so I wonder if Roku is worried they will lose access and control over the recomendation engine and whatnot that they use. Essentially once inside Youtube TV, you may never have to leave it to buy/rent movies or jump into your Netflix shows and so on. Those things would be centralized through Google, instead of different apps in the Roku platform, for which Roku gets paid individually, and gets data from individually.
From what I read, the main app isn't going to be effected, just the yttv app. (but yeah, don't take that away from me. I watch youtube on my tv nearly constantly now)
Thats not so bad I guess but I wouldn't be surprised if itngets caught in the crossfire

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Your daily reminder that Google is a monopolistic bastard-company that commonly abuses its marketshare positions in order to benefit their own products and services.

Never forget, this is the company that when Microsoft created Windows Phone, Google did everything possible to fuck with its paltry 1-5% Marketshare by making updates to Apps and Websites to specifically Ban or provide worse experiences for Windows Phone Users when using/doing anything Google. From banning Google Maps Apps, and updating the website to target the IE12/Edge Browser Agent to degrade and throw users to a 90's era Maps website. To going to war with YouTube apps by revoking dev keys every other week, and throttling the website. All while claiming that the platform "Just couldn't handle it" or "Didn't support webstandards" which was easily disproven by anyone who actually looked into it.

And thats just what they did to Microsoft and got away with.

Last edited:

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Streaming is catching up to cable in more ways than one. I'm tired of companies using their consumers to wage proxy wars against one another. Seeing a steady stream of network providers scroll messages across the screen to get me to raise hell with DirecTV isn't something I missed.

Composer

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Your daily reminder that Google is a monopolistic bastard-company that commonly abuses its marketshare positions in order to benefit their own products and services.

I can assure you thats not what is going on in this case. Its unfortunate how Roku is spreading this message but as someone on the ground floor, it is sad to see roku lash out like this. They have done it before though.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
This will make the three Roku's in my house completely worthless since that's what I use them for. Freaking great

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
It also maintains that Google could require Roku to spend money upgrading microchips or other equipment in order to accommodate YouTube TV.
Kind of curious what this is about. Google wants to change the codec that isn't supported by the bottom of the barrel SoC that Roku uses?

Composer

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Kind of curious what this is about. Google wants to change the codec that isn't supported by the bottom of the barrel SoC that Roku uses?

Roku is a pain point for devs. They have their own ecosystem which you have to code for and it is unique from every other platform. When I was at Crunchyroll it was truly a pain. At my current team, we have the ability to get a little closer to the metal but very often Roku is slow at getting software updates to its base hardware. This is partly because the hardware is often so incredibly underpowered.

Oct 29, 2017

Never forget, this is the company that when Microsoft created Windows Phone, Google did everything possible to fuck with its paltry 1-5% Marketshare by making updates to Apps and Websites to specifically Ban or provide worse experiences for Windows Phone Users when using/doing anything Google. From banning Google Maps Apps, and updating the website to target the IE12/Edge Browser Agent to degrade and throw users to a 90's era Maps website. To going to war with YouTube apps by revoking dev keys every other week, and throttling the website. All while claiming that the platform "Just couldn't handle it" or "Didn't support webstandards" which was easily disproven by anyone who actually looked into it.

Yup. Stay away from google if you can.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Roku is a pain point for devs. They have their own ecosystem which you have to code for and it is unique from every other platform. When I was at Crunchyroll it was truly a pain. At my current team, we have the ability to get a little closer to the metal but very often Roku is slow at getting software updates to its base hardware. This is partly because the hardware is often so incredibly underpowered.

Make sense. I'm more surprised that Roku runs as well as it does on such crappy hardware, which means everything has to be completely customized in their software stack. The hardware is like worse than a lot of routers these days.

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
Ugh i hope this doesn't happen, we have 3 Roku tvs and one stick that we watch YoutubeTv on, it's not our only source of tv (have Sling too) but it's our favorite

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Roku is the worst of the streaming OSes anyway, imo. Sucks for people who use it tho.

If they enabled sideloading or had any semblance of having an open OS, I'd be more forgiving. Even every AppleTV device can be jailbroken to technically allow this lol

Just sad.

I guess my point is, all the others 'cept Roku have multiple alternatives when bullshit like this goes down.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
Essentially once inside Youtube TV, you may never have to leave it to buy/rent movies or jump into your Netflix shows and so on. Those things would be centralized through Google, instead of different apps in the Roku platform, for which Roku gets paid individually, and gets data from individually.

You also wont see the forced ads that Roku displays that take up like half of your main menu.

It was rough enough that they dropped Twitch support. If they have an Amazon like brawl over Youtube, I'll have almost no use for this device anymore. I thought the whole point of the forced ads and data mining was so they could pay to keep their apps running?

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
tumblr_m63mf4J9VZ1qh75xeo3_250.gif

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Google doesn't force the removal of the app for existing users....

If it does I'll most likely cancel my service with them.

CookieMonster

Oct 30, 2017
Roku pulled the same exact stunt on ATT TV. They never advertised why it was pulled, but it was believed to be because of the HBO Max dispute.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
This is a royal pain in the ass. I have 2 Roku TVs for my my main living room TV and girlfriends office TV and we use YouTube TV on them all the time.

Would be really annoying to have to use my Xbox on the living room for literally 1 stupid app and figure out a solution for the second TV. I bought the office TV specifically because it was cheap and had Roku built in so I knew we would never really have an issue with it not having a specific app we want...

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
This is a royal pain in the ass. I have 2 Roku TVs for my my main living room TV and girlfriends office TV and we use YouTube TV on them all the time.

Still sucky having to shell out more money but things like chromcast with Google TV are not too expensive these days and are much more flexible.

Last edited:

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
Make sense. I'm more surprised that Roku runs as well as it does on such crappy hardware, which means everything has to be completely customized in their software stack. The hardware is like worse than a lot of routers these days.

That's the interesting thing. My Roku devices appear to run apps quite well. My 4K fire stick still stutters more. Apple TV is probably the only device that's smoother

Arcticfox

Oct 27, 2017
The next time I visit my parents I will be removing their last Roku and replacing it with something else. Originally we thought that by not being a content provider or having any corporate feuds it would mean they would always have the biggest selection of apps. Recent times have shown the opposite to be true. This just reminds me of the constant PR battles between cable providers and tv channels during contract renegotiations. At least it is much easier to switch streaming boxes than cable providers.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not going to argue who is in the right here (although past events leads me to believe Google is probably the bad guy), but I've stayed away from Roku over the years because they keep having app issues that my other streaming devices just don't (no Twitch, ATT TV, Youtube TV, etc).

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
Annoyed that the streaming experience keeps getting worse. I liked things better when Youtube TV was nearly half the price and we didn't have a million services that splintered content. Feel like the fight between services and device makers is new too

I've bought into the Google ecosystem but would be surprised if they weren't the bad guys in this

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
The next time I visit my parents I will be removing their last Roku and replacing it with something else. Originally we thought that by not being a content provider or having any corporate feuds it would mean they would always have the biggest selection of apps. Recent times have shown the opposite to be true. This just reminds me of the constant PR battles between cable providers and tv channels during contract renegotiations. At least it is much easier to switch streaming boxes than cable providers.
Roku got into the content game a while back with their own pay service with some stuff from other providers, which also seems to be the source of some contract issues/strongarming too. This is why I went with a Google's own Google TV thing a while back as it has about all the big players and is open to sideloading.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I am fully blaming Roku for this shit they've been having with HBO and now YouTube. Or at least if I have to pick one company to favor over the other, I'm favoring Youtube tv and hbo.

Roku just doesn't seem to argue in good faith in either of these contract negotiations, I think they're banking that their customers are locked into their devices and sets and so it puts the pressure on companies like google or hbo, but like... These disputes they're having make me far.more likely to switch to another.platform. Like if youtube tv stopped working on my roku tv I'd put a Google TV player on it, which is a nicer interface than roku anyway.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

I dunno, in this case roku seems like the bad actor here. They had a similar beef with HBO last year, and made similar false allegations against HBO to their customers, banned the HBO apps from the platform over some content dispute.

The more bull shit content disputes that Roku repeatedly has with content providers, the more of a reflection it is on Roku for me, not on HBO or YoutubeTV. I actually like the HBO and YTTV services, I am indifferent to roku, it's just the platform my tv has. And whenever roku has another dispute with a provider it doesn't make me think "oh hmm maybe I'll switch to Hulu?" It makes me assume it'll be a matter of time before Roku has some beef with Hulu, Disney, Netflix and whoever else, and I'm getting another email from roku telling me that Disney doesn't want me to watch content on my TV or something.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It does seem like Roku is always involved in these type of disputes. That said, I want nothing to do with Apple's eco system, nor Google and Amazon Firestick.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
This is common behavior between content providers and services. Basically enlisting customers as a task force to complain that they're going to lose their service in order to turn around and give them the extra million dollars they want.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Literally just bought a 5 Series TCL for the bedroom last night, glad I setup all my channels then and didn't wait til today, would have been out of luck.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Meh, I definitely don't believe anything that Google says. They have been caught lying and utilizing their power in monopolistic ways often enough.

That said, Roku also is probably complicit. They have these spats a few times, although it's probably due to the fact that they aren't a content provider so they have less leverage in negotiations.

I hope YouTube (not the TV) app manages to stay, but I am pessimistic.

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
I got a Roku for my parents because how easy it is to use. I've never used anything else, so does anyone know what the next best thing is? Google tv, firestick, something else?

Oct 28, 2017
I've used Roku, Fire Stick, Apple TV, Shield and the newer Google TV dongles.

For my use I'd rank them as follows:

Apple TV
Google TV
Shield
Roku
Firestick

I'd say the top 3 are pretty comparable and I'd say that the fire stick is alllllll the way in the back as far as it being quick.

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
I've used Roku, Fire Stick, Apple TV, Shield and the newer Google TV dongles.

For my use I'd rank them as follows:

Apple TV
Google TV
Shield
Roku
Firestick

I'd say the top 3 are pretty comparable and I'd say that the fire stick is alllllll the way in the back as far as it being quick.
Thanks! Apple tv is a bit pricey for a streaming stick, so I'll go with google tv

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Got another youtubetv email

An update for our Roku users: Today we're introducing a feature that gives you a new way to access YouTube TV from within the YouTube app. This update will be available to all YouTube TV members on Roku over the next few days, and we will expand to as many devices as we can over time.

• Make sure you have the YouTube app downloaded from the Roku Channel Store
  • From the YouTube app, simply click on "Go to YouTube TV" in the left-hand menu of the app
  • If it's your first time doing this, you'll need to sign in to YouTube TV
  • You can learn more in our Help Center

4B0fz2m.jpg

We're still working to come to an agreement with Roku to ensure continued access to the YouTube TV app for our mutual customers. As of right now, existing YouTube TV members still have access to the YouTube TV app on Roku devices.

As a reminder, you can still cast to your Roku device from your mobile device, tablet, or computer by following these simple steps. You can also continue to access the YouTube TV app using all of the devices listed here.

We hope this is helpful and thank you again for your patience. For further updates on this issue and our efforts to resolve it, please visit this website.

Sincerely,
The YouTube TV team