• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Nearly 900,000 Americans in Alabama, Mississippi and 11 other Republican-led states are set to see their unemployment checks slashed dramatically starting in June, as GOP governors seek to restrict jobless benefits in an effort to force more people to return to work.

The cuts are likely to fall hardest on more than half a million people who benefit from stimulus programs adopted by Congress at the height of the pandemic, including one targeting those who either are self-employed or work on behalf of gig-economy companies such as Uber. Beginning next month, many of these workers are likely to receive no aid at all.

The looming cliff reflects an emerging campaign on the part of GOP leaders to combat what they see as a national worker shortage. Governors in states including Mississippi, Montana and Tennessee contend that generous federal benefits parceled out over the past year have deterred people from returning to their old positions now that the public-health crisis is waning.

The reality is more complicated, labor experts say. The slowdown in hiring may instead reflect workers' concerns about their safety and difficulties in obtaining childcare, or their trouble finding suitable positions in hard-hit industries like tourism on top of mounting frustration over wages they see as too low. That means the loss of unemployment benefits over the next month threatens to inflict new financial harm on those who are already say they're struggling.

At least 13 GOP-led states so far have announced plans to slash benefits: Alabama, Arkansas, Idaho, Iowa, Montana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah and Wyoming.

Starting next month, roughly 273,000 of these states' workers are set to see their payments fall by $300 each week, according to a Washington Post analysis of federal claims data released Thursday. Millions of Americans have received the extra allotment as a result of a federal stimulus program Congress adopted earlier this year. In these 13 GOP-led states, however, out-of-work residents soon will be able to collect only as much as their unemployment insurance programs allowed prior to the pandemic, which in some parts of the country is well below poverty-level wages.

For a second group of about 268,000 workers, their governors' cuts mean they stand to lose all of their benefits outright. This includes out-of-work Uber drivers and others who are self employed. These workers had obtained aid for the first time under a second stimulus initiative, known as Pandemic Unemployment Assistance, but their states are ending participation in the effort.

A final group of about 340,000 workers who collect traditional unemployment benefits each week similarly may see their benefits reduced to zero. These Americans currently rely on a federal program that pays them extra weeks of jobless support even if they have exhausted their states' annual allotments. Republican governors are cutting their participation in this effort as well, leaving workers who have been unemployed for prolonged periods with potentially no options remaining to obtain aid.

More governors are expected to follow the lead of Arkansas and other GOP-led states, which combined with recent drops in new state unemployment claims, could change the total number of Americans affected. On Thursday, the Labor Department said that 473,000 Americans had filed new unemployment insurance claims last week, marking another pandemic low.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
These states are so stupid. They would rather kill hundreds of thousands of people and their state's economy rather than support them until jobs bounce back.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Grist for the mill to the GOP

tenor.gif

The petty thing would be to stop subsidising these idiot states but that would only hurt those people that need the most help. It's a really fucked up situation. They're hypocrites. Living off the largesse created by blue states while turning around and demonising colored folk or the poor or LGBTQ and claiming some sort of higher moral authority too.

The GOP are bad people. Rotten to their very core.

Last edited:

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised FL wasn't on the list tbh. GOP continuing to kill the poor

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
These states are so stupid. They would rather kill hundreds of thousands of people and their state's economy rather than support them until jobs bounce back.

It isn't just that, it's because they hate workers finally realising that they aren't gonna go work shit jobs for shit pay. They don't want workers knowing they have more power than to be at the whims of employers who won't pay them right or give them basic workers rights. They figure if they kick you off your UI benefits then you'll be rushing to go back to work a fast food job or retail no matter how shit they treat you.

They also don't want Americans to realise their tax money can in fact be used to help support them and have better safety nets when their whole platform for decades has been that if you can't make it alone it's because you failed and not because the system failed you.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
They're not stupid, they know exactly what they're doing. They want to sabotage the recovery in hopes that the economic downturn will be blamed on Biden. It's more than likely to backfire though, people are on to the GOP's bullshit now.

kukubrew

Nov 7, 2017
The tweet included MI in the list, but the map does not. I imagine it's just a mistake by the tweeter since Whitmer is a democrat and definitely would not cut the benefits early

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
So....starve people until they go back to work at terrible jobs? Medieval siege tactics applied to the worker 'shortage'

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
GOP forcing poor people to take underpaid, over-worked, abusive jobs to satisfy themselves seems about on par for them.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
So....starve people until they go back to work at terrible jobs? Medieval siege tactics applied to the worker 'shortage'
Right. Who do you think these low-wage, short-staffed industry leaders are appealing to beyond the Feds? State leaders. And since GOP men are "business-minded", this makes sense. "The pandemic is over, let's get 'our' people back off the government dole and back into 'jobs'."

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
Can these people recover these benefits when filing taxes next year? Even though they needed now …

p.s. sucks that they tied it to the states to handle it. The feds should've created their own portal for the unemployment and send it direct

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand how individual states can cancel FEDERAL unemployment benefits
I presume it works the same way as Interstate Funding.

It's basically free money, but the states have to apply for it.
Incidentally, there is states that don't apply for interstate project funding, but that has to do with some tertiary rules around applying for it.

kukubrew

Nov 7, 2017
So you're going to have Democratic Governor states get significantly more federal dollars for the next 4 months (I THINK the federal boost expires in September?) and I guess we'll see what sort of impact that will have on well-being and economic recovery of the states?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Imagine being called lazy because you lost your job and refuse to take any old crap that pays way less and requires more manual labor then what you used to make.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of these states already have low, near pre-pandemic unemployment. They know the UI payments aren't the issue and this isn't going to get people working in shit jobs overnight.

It's cruel messaging and stereotypes. Republicans have the branding that they're economy over all and want to hit democrats for big government spending that helps lazy people. And the thing is that a sort of low info person sees that they slash these benefits and that gives them proof, in a way. They think "oh well they had to cut things off so it must have been a problem." It's the same shit as drug testing SNAP recipients or something. It doesn't do a lot besides make people think there's a problem to be solved and perpetuate those stereotypes.

But the GOP doesn't give a fuck because those largely aren't their voters anyway. The asshole business owners are.

It's just like refusing to expand Medicaid now, too. The feds are dropping serious money but they don't give a fuck. Wisconsin GOP refuses, because fuck poor people.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
GOP doing GOP things. They've been economic terrorists our entire lives and it will always be worse than before.

They don't care about the jobs nor the people. They just want to punish folks, knowing full well who this will disproportionately affect. And the money doesn't hurt either when their corporate lobbyists reward them behind the scenes for their efforts.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
GOP state constituents: we can't afford food and it's still too dangerous to work a second job right now

GOP:
22eaU4p.png

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Something to note about the Southern states is that this action disproportionately targets black people in service-oriented jobs, who are most at risk. So while it's alluring to be like "Well, fuck 'em, they voted for the government they're getting..." Generally the people being targeted with cuts like these are *not* people who voted for their Republican governors.

From a national level, I would not expect the unemployment insurance federal stipend to be renewed past September, or whenever it's set to expire per the ARP.

I don't understand how individual states can cancel FEDERAL unemployment benefits

Unemployment insurance is provided at a state level through state taxes and qualification are set by state policy, the stipend was provided as a benefit to states who would then distribute it through their typical unemployment systems.

Outside of a pandemic, it makes sense to implement the system that way. A state like Massachusetts has more "generous" unemployment benefits than a state like Kansas because the standard of living in Massachusetts is a good deal higher than that of Kansas (we also have across the board higher state and local taxes than Kansas does). If U.I. was handled at the federal level, then there's be some great averaging of it, and it would probably turn out worse ... a Republican congress and president like Trump would be very eager to gut unemployment insurance at the federal level to punish states like Massachusetts, New York, and California and bleed them.

Last edited:

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm hoping against hope, but since this seems to be aimed at solving a "worker shortage," I would love for said workers to realize their worth, unionize and demand better pay and conditions.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So you're going to have Democratic Governor states get significantly more federal dollars for the next 4 months (I THINK the federal boost expires in September?) and I guess we'll see what sort of impact that will have on well-being and economic recovery of the states?
And in a few months when Dem states are doing better the same Republicans who denied the federal aid will pretend it was the Democratic Federal government playing favorites and denying them aid in favor of helping blue states when the reality is they were the ones who turned down the aid that was offered to them

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they were worried about people being lazy they would require unemployment recipients to provide proof of at least 2 places they applied to each week they file for unemployment and actually check in with these businesses. They used to do this in my state but stopped like over a decade ago.

I always thought it was fair, you got your unemployment but had to prove you were actively looking for a job.

Obviously that isn't what they are worried about though.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
If they were worried about people being lazy they would require unemployment recipients to provide proof of at least 2 places they applied to each week they file for unemployment and actually check in with these businesses. They used to do this in my state but stopped like over a decade ago.

I always thought it was fair, you got your unemployment but had to prove you were actively looking for a job.

A lot of these states have put back work search requirements. Those requirements sound fair but typically just add a load of bureaucratic horseshit that some people fuck up and studies show it only quickens time to getting a job on net by not even days but hours. They're ineffective.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

People just apply who don't really want work, put in fake resumes, it's all pointless when it's just adding legwork and doesn't actually mean folks are seeking work.

Oct 27, 2017
Instead of recognizing the problem, they want their cheap labor forced back into servitude. Late stage capitalism in full force.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
The amount of persons who died from covid has to be affecting unemployment and benefits too... right?

Think of how many workers used parents and grandparents as unpaid child minders. Elders who are now dead, or severely incapacitated.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of these states have put back work search requirements. Those requirements sound fair but typically just add a load of bureaucratic horseshit that some people fuck up and studies show it only quickens time to getting a job on net by not even days but hours. They're ineffective.

Even so, I think it's fair to find a system that insures people are looking for work while on unemployment. If we had a functioning system that did this you wouldn't have all of these republicans claiming people are living off of unemployment and not attempting to get back into the job force.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I wish the masses would finally get a fucking clue that these people are actively working against them.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
you'd think this would pressure conservative morons to change, but nothing will. But they will be laughing at the guy behind them in the bread line.

Shame for the people living in these places that have sense.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the folks about to get fucked over by this will learn the right lessons from it.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Even so, I think it's fair to find a system that insures people are looking for work while on unemployment. If we had a functioning system that did this you wouldn't have all of these republicans claiming people are living off of unemployment and not attempting to get back into the job force.
I have no idea why you would think republicans wouldn't just lie. States do have these systems and that doesn't stop them. There are also yearly max benefits and periods you can't be on it and yet they lie that people live on unemployment forever. Accuracy doesn't stop the stereotypes and villainization.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
LMAO this is soooo America...

Forget providing health care, lets kill what little you have to live on.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018

You mean like the narrative of "welfare queens"? They'll find a way to vilify people regardless.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
My state isn't canceling the benefits (it's a blue state) but it IS reenacting the work search requirement, which will require them to apply to anything open, and accept any of those offers they get, which in turn is just going to funnel people into low wage service jobs that underpay compared to the weekly unemployment and put them in worse financial positions. But at least they've got the DIGNITY of EMPLOYMENT and aren't MOOCHING! Yay!