• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
So the new Mortal Kombat dropped back onto HBO Max this week, and I checked it out again.

I find this to be a frustrating film, because I think there's a lot to like here underneath a whooooooole bunch of bullshit. When the film buckles down and actually decides to do Mortal Kombat shit (mainly the opening fight, the Jax vs Sub Zero fight, and the Scorpion Vs Sub fight at the end), it's actually quite good. Almost exactly the type of thing I would want out of a Mortal Kombat film, but that long stretch of shit in the middle almost ruins it.

It's the overexplaining that's the problem. I don't mind changes from the source material. I think the whole "Dragon Mark" concept is a good way to shortcut some characters to the tournament, even though it doesn't mesh with the games lore. I actually like the characterization of the more monk-ish Liu Kang, especially with how he contrasts with Kung Lao. But there are other changes that seem to be added to make the setting more grounded and accessible, and they *do not* work.

Cole Young, our protagonist, is the biggest example. He's just not an interesting enough character and he gets too much focus. It's too bad because Lewis Tan did seem to be really psyched about being part of it.

The Lin Kuei vs Shirai Ryu story is moved hundreds of years in the past, presumably because someone thought having active ninja clans in the modern day would be too ridiculous.

And, my personal biggest beef, the arcana subplot. The movie grinds to an absolute halt for a third of its runtime while the characters work to "unlock" their abilities. It robs us of more interesting time with the characters (including the villains, who otherwise have no motivation or character other than being the villains), robs us of fight scenes where characters have their full kit, and, most importantly, is completely unnecessary. Would anyone in the audience really have questioned if Kano showed up with a mechanical laser eye, or Sonya could shoot pulses out of her tech gloves? (Also I have a theory that this subplot was added in reshoots, ask me if you want me to explain). I recently watched Marvel's Shang Chi, and that movie just threw all it's craziness right at you and expected you to roll with it. It was far better for it, giving the movie more time to breathe. There's no reason audiences can't be expected to do the same for a Mortal Kombat film.

I think this creative team (or at least cast and production crew) could make a really good Mortal Kombat movie. You can see glimpses of it all throughout this film. But they need to trust the material more. It's gonna be goofy, yeah, but that's Mortal Kombat.

If they do another one, here are my ideas:

1. Sideline Cole somehow. He should not be the protag anymore. A lot of fans want them to kill him, but I don't think that's entirely necessary. I think maybe he should be the "Agent Coulson" of these movies. He can recruit the characters and maybe provide a bit of everyman perspective as a side character.

2. Completely ignore the "Arcana" plot from the first movie. I think a lot of "dead" cahracters are coming back based on Shang Tsung's final words in first film. Give Kano a laser eye, give Sonya her tech arms, never mention anything about it. Anyone else who shows up has their abilities intact immediately and without question.

3. Introduce Kuai Liang, now an ancestor of the ancient Sub-Zero rather than his brother. Establish that the Lin Kuei are still active in the modern day. And of course, bring in my boy Johnny Cage.

What are your thoughts? Should the Mortal Kombat movie be followed up on, or is it too far gone to save and they should just, you know, stop?

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I thought the movie was much better than it should have been, actually. Making it a hard R helped that a lot (I mean, it's fucking Mortal Kombat). Loved Sonya and Kano in the movie.

The arcana thing was stupid, but meh, it's Mortal Kombat. I ain't watching it for the story.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the film was fucking terrible, but I enjoy both the 90s movies so what do I know

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
To this day I don't know why they felt the need to create an original character, Cole, as if there's a lack of far more interesting ones to drive the plot forward. The OG 1995 movie had Liu Kang as the central protagonist while using Johnny Cage as the audience surrogate.

IMO Mortal Kombat would make for a great 10 episode mini-series, running through the tournament and all the subplot canon leading up to the final Liu Kang-Shang Tsung confrontation.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this movie never had a chance with me, I looked at this movie with the same eyes as Resident Evil. When you make a new character for a movie where you have a long list of from the game is a big no no from me. I don't even want to talk about what was done to some of the game characters.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
The Arcana thing was incredibly stupid imo.

Also was not a fan of how they made Bi-Han hundreds of years old and just a straight up villain. In the games, Bi-Han is a bit more complex and doesn't really go off into pure villain territory until he becomes Noob Saibot (MK Mythologies Sub Zero is probably a good example of him helping Raiden when necessary, bad game aside).

Last thing, wtf did they do to Reiko?

ColonialHawk

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
Forgettable movie that had bright moments, but bent over backwards to try and explain the silly stuff in MK like powers and the tournament (which never happened!).

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Watched when it landed, haven't thought about it one inch since finishing. It was ok at best. I recall the opening sequence being the strongest of the film, then it was all downhill from there. Didn't find the new guy interesting or his hero's journey engaging. Found myself questioning why even bother when you have a staple that fans want to see. The action had its moments, and it wasn't a total cringe-fest in terms of story, but it barely kept me watching to its end.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Despite performing very well. I don't see it discussed too fondly to be honest. With the Arcana and the new Main Character being the main sticking points. Probably going to get a sequel, but I don't quite know how they handle it outside of ramping up the violence even higher I suppose.

OP
OP
Spehornoob

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Forgettable movie that had bright moments, but bent over backwards to try and explain the silly stuff in MK like powers and the tournament (which never happened!).
It's clear they wrote this expecting a sequel to be made, which will make it funny (and sad) if it never happens and thye never even get to the tournament lol

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
This movie is terrible and it's not because of arcana

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen and that is saying A LOT . At least the other garbage game movies I could laugh at so gleaned at least some sort of fun from but couldn't even do that with this .

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I actually didn't mind it. Wasn't amazing but what was good I enjoyed. Kano and Sonya were definitely the best parts of the film and hopefully it made enough so a sequel can be made.

Still prefer the 1995 movie over this any day though.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I thought the movie was decent. As a Subzero fan I didn't love what they did to him. I know the 1st Subs was cold blooded no jokes guy but he wasn't just some evil henchmen. Movie didn't need Cole at all either, his powers sucked and arcana in general was stupid.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The fatalities were great.
Not much else to be honest.

Outside of that killer track in the opening, the rest of the soundtrack is average. First movie soundtrack is AMAZING

Characters aren't as loveable as the original movie.

desperately needed more variety in the locations.

Loved Kabal's design. (also voiced by Dewey from justified!)

Fatalities were great

mk_Kano_heart.gif

subzero_disarms.gif

kunglao.gif

soulismine_kunglao.gif

gorokilled.gif

jax_handsmash.gif

liukang_fatality.gif

kanoLamedeath.gif

SonyaBladeRings.gif
scorpiontoasty2021.gif

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I tried to watch this last week but I just couldn't finish it. It was just so boring.
The only goodish parts were the first 5 minutes with Scorpion and Kano. Other than that there was just nothing there.
No character had any personality at all. They just said stuff because the script had the words. Shang Tsung basically looked like a cross between Matt Damon fake Loki and a power rangers villain. And his acting was about on that level too.

The first movie is so superior to this it's not even funny.
That movie has a plot that makes sense with drive and characters with motivations and personalities and charisma.
I now understand why Ed Boon basically ignores this movie on his twitter. He tweets about other movies all the time but this one he never mentions.
I recall reading an interview with him from some years back where he stated there were two scripts ready to be made. One of them he thought was really good and the other one was so bad he'd rather they not even make the movie if it got chosen. I think we know which script was chosen.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I won't extrapolate on what they should've done since they had a budget and framework they had to stick to, but some of the choices within that framework were baffling.

1. Cole Young was a simply dreadful addition. I get the desire for an 'everyman' from a hapless producer's standpoint worrying about approachability. But this franchise got popular in the first place from colorful iconic characters - why reduce their relevance to watch a down-on-his-luck average joe. The audience insert role could have been written around any other character to greater effect - especially given the scenes of characters like Liu Kang giving Sonya a backstory dump right after she just gave Cole and Kano a backstory dump. 2 dumps in a row (a good description for this film)

2. Arcana introduced too many plot holes and inconsistencies despite being an attempt to refine the logic of the universe and it's powersets. MK11 did a far better job doing that in just mini intro dialogues. All it resulted in was more boring needless exposition.

3. The miscastings of Raiden and Shang Tsung were egregious since they are meant to prop up the most world-building elements of the burgeoning franchise they hoped to create. Or maybe those actors were just poorly directed and underutilized