• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
His post came about after another Twitter user asked about the performance of PS5 games on the CAPCOM graphics engine. His entire quote is:

IF this is true he seems to be implying that we will see more checkerboarding on PS5 games. Normally I don't post stuff like this but he does have a pretty solid track record of reporting on Sony related stuff.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe this for a second. If Xbox One X can do 4k native vs 1440p on PS4 Pro with 2TF difference then the PS5 wont have any problems with 10TF vs 12TF.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Native 4K is a waste of resources, it's been proven time and time again, and labelling reconstruction techniques as "fake 4K" is idiotic.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jeff Grubb confirmed this too, right?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
people attracted to this sorta topic are horribly toxic
Ahh man, he's not wrong. Feel like this thread is gonna prove that. Shout out to Dusk though.

on topic: i thought the gap between XSX and PS5 wouldn't be that huge?

May 18, 2018
I would imagine within the next few years native 4k would be rare, especially with dlss and checkerboarding being as good as they are.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
So it turns out Cerny was wrong when he said 8tflops was the minimum needed for 4K?

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't believe this for a second. If Xbox One X can do 4k native more than 1440p on Pro with 2TF difference then the PS5 wont have any problems with 10TF vs 12TF.

I feel you, but I think it's going to be just like the endless 30fps vs 60fps debates. Sure they could get to native 4K, but instead they'll focus on other areas and avoid native4K. And I don't think that's a bad thing.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
AFAIK this was based on early RE8 footage which may have been rushed to get it ready for teh Sony stream. Single example, early code, not necessarily representative of other developers work - we've already seen multiple 4k titles on Sony's own stream last month

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
That really makes it sound like the leap from PS4 Pro to PS5 is just getting a SSD but I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Edit: People seem to misunderstand what I meant by this post, I guess I should have been more clear. I am talking from a marketing perspective.
Obviously I am aware that the PS5 is more powerful than the PS4 come on lol

Last edited:

Deleted member 76539

Banned
Jul 31, 2020
I think native 4k is kind of a waste personally anyways. I've been more than satisfied with the checkeboard solution or Insomniac's temporal injection. Of course it'd always be nice to have overhead, but if this consists of better performance then I'm all for it.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
not only is real 4k a waste of resources, but give me some fake 1080p when you're at it

xem

Oct 31, 2017
fake 4k is fine with me, it will be hardly noticeable. My only concern would be framerate. as long as its solid 60 or whatever the target is, im happy.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'd rather games not go for native 4k if that means they can do more or have a better framerate. The people who'll notice the difference is a minority.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Why do we keep making these kind of threads. There's not enough info to have any sort of meaningful discussion :/

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it's looking like "fake 4K" will become the standard in the long run, as image reconstruction techniques are getting really good. The most dramatic example is obviously DLSS2.0 but we'll see if AMD and consoles will have an answer to that.

For Sony specifically I'm interested in seeing if PS5 checkerboarding will be more effective than the PS4 implementation.

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
Native 4K rendering means dick, even DF have said stuff like DLSS is the way forward when it comes to 4K.

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
seeing the PS4Pro and Xbox One X performance, heck, even the top end PCs performance, this is not surprising

You need a Beast to run current gen games in 4k60

Consoles are more limited, even though the video card is a massive jump. I expect 4k30 or checkerboard bs

Deleted member 57361

Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Yet, PS5 was the only console that showed 4K gameplay running on it. Jeff and Dusk are just talking about early development as some fact for final performance.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't this debunked before?

and Jeff was speculating about AMD SmartShift.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting it too, chequerboard 4k and sub 60fps for multiplatforms on PS5 over Series X for example.

Still getting it over the the Xbox day 1 but yeah, Sony shouldn't have held back when developing it.

It's simply a less powerful console there's nothing to be done about it.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
4K is gonna be a scourge on games for the first chunk of next gen

Status
Not open for further replies.